ADVERTISEMENT

Covid test before meeting family for Holidays

If a family member asked for you to take a covid test before meeting for the holidays, you would be

• Angry and not do it even if it meant not seeing family

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Angry but begrudgingly do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Annoyed but not a big deal

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Happy to do it to make our gathering safe

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters

HallBall02

All World
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Many of you think very differently than I.

thought I would get some feedback from those that have polar opposite views on covid testing since I have a family member who I assume will be apprehensive to taking a covid test if I ask.

Depends if I like the family member:)!

The only thing I would add is if I am going to make that request, then I should either provide the test or reimburse the family member.

Depends if I like the family member:)!

The only thing I would add is if I am going to make that request, then I should either provide the test or reimburse the family member.
Haha, we would offer one of our fairly accurate extra rapid tests if they did not have one 😀

as far family liking us, I would hope so.

Last edited:
My sister in law has asked everyone to get tested prior to Christmas eve. Her father has medical issues and while he wont be present, she will be seeing him for Christmas Day which I totally understand. I'll be getting tested mainly because I want my wife and daughter to be able to celebrate with family.

All of the above. I don't need clearance to see my family.
My family wouldn’t ask for a test but they would say don’t come if circumstances dictate

I also don’t like the answer options. I would prefer:

-won’t
-Won’t purely to make a statement
-will begrudgingly
-Will to do my best to ensure….

From the poll results, looks like most here would be ok with it. Seems like the reasonable response to me as well given the surge.

Everyone was ok with it in my family, one person from each house will do one but the one that I was worried about was just a little annoyed but agreed to do a rapid if I brought it to him.

I wouldn't request that myself, but I'd have to problem taking a test if someone requested it of me.

id do it because it makes my mother comfortable despite if i agree or not. get over yourselves. wouldnt want any of you as family. your mother went through worse to raise you, its the least you could do.

put away your pride. its really not a big deal.

btw i take my shoes off at the door and dont complain either. a real hero. i deserve a medal.

Reactions: Merge
From the poll results, looks like most here would be ok with it. Seems like the reasonable response to me as well given the surge.

Everyone was ok with it in my family, one person from each house will do one but the one that I was worried about was just a little annoyed but agreed to do a rapid if I brought it to him.
Do your poll results account for those that live in moms basement?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
My sister recovered from cancer. If someone asked me to get a test, I would. I love and respect my family.

Even if I wouldn’t require it, I would do it if asked because it is not a big deal to me. What do I lose by spitting into a vial or sticking a swab in my nose? Oh yeah, all personal freedoms and self respect, let me rethink my stance.

My sister recovered from cancer. If someone asked me to get a test, I would. I love and respect my family.

Even if I wouldn’t require it, I would do it if asked because it is not a big deal to me. What do I lose by spitting into a vial or sticking a swab in my nose? Oh yeah, all personal freedoms and self respect, let me rethink my stance.
Question is are you getting your kids tested. I'm not sure how the kids in your family are handling these things, but everyone I talk to is having issues with putting their kids through it again. Yes it's really no big deal either way for an adult to get it at a request, but watching the kids cry as someone is sticking a swab up their nose isn't an enjoyable experience.

lmao i cant believe these squids. but dont believe it, its all an act.

Question is are you getting your kids tested. I'm not sure how the kids in your family are handling these things, but everyone I talk to is having issues with putting their kids through it again. Yes it's really no big deal either way for an adult to get it at a request, but watching the kids cry as someone is sticking a swab up their nose isn't an enjoyable experience.
oh shut up. kid cant spit in a vile? being a parent consists of putting your kids through things they dont want to do. they have their dtap shot? go to the dentist?

for someone who wants the world to toughen up you treat your kids like pussies

oh shut up. kid cant spit in a vile? being a parent consists of putting your kids through things they dont want to do. they have their dtap shot? go to the dentist?

for someone who wants the world to toughen up you treat your kids like pussies
Where did I say it was my kid. I said I heard from parents. You're an ass. Keyboard warrior with multiple names.

Last edited:
My daughter (5) has been tested multiple times. She's okay with it. The real difficult part at this point with all the testing issues is I basically have to take her out of school and miss a half day of work to get her tested.

Where did I say it was my kid. I said I heard from parents. You're an ass. Keyboard warrior with multiple names.
yea and if those parents voted for biden youd call them snowflakes. tell people to buck up about a virus thats killed thousands your age, but then cower over a vaccine thats killed dozens.

dont get so upset, own it

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
yea and if those parents voted for biden youd call them snowflakes. tell people to buck up about a virus thats killed thousands your age, but then cower over a vaccine thats killed dozens.

dont get so upset, own it
Biden has nothing to do with this. I wouldn't take this if Trump won. And all those people who are telling you how safe it is, would be telling you it's not safe. I have no regard for what any of our political class say about the virus.

Cower over a vaccine that's killed dozens, but hasn't proved to effective enough to keep people who got it safe, hasn't been studied on humans for long term effects, and I'm really not convinced that it's better than a healthy diet, exercise, vitamin C, vitamin D, and antiviral supplements.

Keyboard warrior, with multiple names because all you do is come here to flame, own it.

Biden has nothing to do with this. I wouldn't take this if Trump won. And all those people who are telling you how safe it is, would be telling you it's not safe. I have no regard for what any of our political class say about the virus.

Cower over a vaccine that's killed dozens, but hasn't proved to effective enough to keep people who got it safe, hasn't been studied on humans for long term effects, and I'm really not convinced that it's better than a healthy diet, exercise, vitamin C, vitamin D, and antiviral supplements.

Keyboard warrior, with multiple names because all you do is come here to flame, own it.
vaccine " hasn't proved to effective enough to keep people who got it safe"

huh?????

this thread is dedicated for those who still get invited to family events. why are you participating?

• Haha
vaccine " hasn't proved to effective enough to keep people who got it safe"

huh?????
It hasn't proved to keep those kids at Cornell or Harvard safe. They all got the vaccine and they're not back to normal.
this thread is dedicated for those who still get invited to family events. why are you participating?
And the award for stupidest come back on piratecrew goes to.....SHUSA come on down take a bow. I guess that's what you have to do when you don't want to own who you are.

It hasn't proved to keep those kids at Cornell or Harvard safe. They all got the vaccine and they're not back to normal.

And the award for stupidest come back on piratecrew goes to.....SHUSA come on down take a bow. I guess that's what you have to do when you don't want to own who you are.
not safe?? are they dead??? rip cornell university.

🤡

I didn't vote because I did not find a answered that fit.

I would not be annoyed and would not be happy but I would get the test albeit I find the request ridiculous.

Does the relative expect me to quarantine from the time I get the test until the time I visit?

Family is often a strain and around the holiday time, I try to just let things slide and avoid trouble.

but hasn't proved to effective enough to keep people who got it safe

The last wave was almost entirely among the unvaccinated.

5x less likely to get Covid
14x less likely to die

A college overreaction to cases is a different topic, but the vaccines have proved to be very effective at keeping people safe.

My son has BPD and we’ve gotten him tested several times, all negative. He’s 6. It sucks, and as soon as I hand him a new hot wheels or piece of candy he’s like, “**** it, that wasn’t so bad”.

My son has BPD and we’ve gotten him tested several times, all negative. He’s 6. It sucks, and as soon as I hand him a new hot wheels or piece of candy he’s like, “**** it, that wasn’t so bad”.
Thank you

You're such an enabler...lol

For my family Xmas gathering, we have one adult from each household taking a rapid test the day before or day of the event. We aren’t going to have the kids take it for the household but one can make the argument they could be bigger spreaders with school/daycare).

It’s not a perfect set up but will put some of us a little more at ease with the craziness with this current surge.

Even if we aren’t worried about anyone getting super sick/hospitalized or Dying, we do have a 93 year old there and a few kids that have various health issues.

Honestly at this point I just don’t even want to be in close contact with a covid positive person, with daycare/school/work it’s not worth it.

In December my daycare kid was in close contact with a positive case and so we couldn’t take him to daycare from dec 10th till 25th next time it opens on Jan3rd (14 day quarentine even though PCR negative at 5 days after last contact ☹️). We paid $2400 for 6 days of daycare this month.

also my two elementary kids had to miss time in school bc if close contact (2 days each on different dates in December). Lucky both elementary kids vaccinated so they didn’t have to miss too much time.

it’s been a brutal month here with my wife and I trying to work and watch kids in quarantine.

Last edited:
For my family Xmas gathering, we have one adult from each household taking a rapid test the day before or day of the event. We aren’t going to have the kids take it for the household but one can make the argument they could be bigger spreaders with school/daycare).

It’s not a perfect set up but will put some of us a little more at ease with the craziness with this current surge.

Even if we aren’t worried about anyone getting super sick/hospitalized or Dying, we do have a 93 year old there and a few kids that have various health issues.

Honestly at this point I just don’t even want to be in close contact with a covid positive person, with daycare/school/work it’s not worth it.

In December my daycare kid was in close contact with a positive case and so we couldn’t take him to daycare from dec 10th till 25th next time it opens on Jan3rd (14 day quarentine even though PCR negative at 5 days after last contact ☹️). We paid $2400 for 6 days of daycare this month.

also my to elementary kids had to miss time in school bc if close contact (2 days each on different dates in December). Lucky both elementary kids vaccinated so they didn’t have to miss too much time.

it’s been a brutal month here with my wife and I trying to work and watch kids in quarantine.
well one thing i can say is that I, and Hall85 both respect and laud your decision.

Over 80% of posters would get a covid test if asked by a family member before getting together for holidays.

Glad to see the majority of posters would do it and there is still some things we can mostly agree on.

Happy Holidays! 🤗

I didn't vote so that probably takes your percentage down to 60-70% of your very small sample size. ;)

Well, I have COVID right now (bummer!) so I had to get tested but I'd have done it anyway with omicron spreading like wildfire. My parents are both right around the "high risk" age range and have some conditions making them more susceptible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT