ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

cams555

Sophomore
Oct 24, 2019
Now that the roster is almost filled out what do you think the depth chart and minutes look like?

PG-Jenkins, Harmon, Felton
SG-Middleton, Wusu, Coleman
SF-Coleman, Wusu, Middleton
PF-Prince, Tubek, Okorafor, Yalden
C- TBD, Godswill, Yalden, Mbaye

I’d have Coleman at the 2 and Middleton at the 3.

I can’t see Wusu not starting, need his experience.

Okorafor is strictly a 5.
I would lean to starting Coleman at the 2, Middleton at the 3 and Okorafor is at the 5.

I’d have Coleman at the 2 and Middleton at the 3.

I can’t see Wusu not starting, need his experience.

Okorafor is strictly a 5.
Coleman and Middleton somewhat interchangeable to me. Scotty has a little better handle.

Wusu could be the 6th man. Don’t like him blocking Coleman or Middleton. Also can jump in as a starter in the event of injuries or annual flu.

You see another 5 coming on board?

I posted this in the Addae-Wusu thread but it's pertinent here as well.

On paper, our depth is concentrated in the 1-2-3 spots. The front court players are largely raw and unproven and it's hard to see what we're going to get out of the group.

I could see us trying to make do with playing four wings for long stretches in order to get our best players on the floor.

I posted this in the Addae-Wusu thread but it's pertinent here as well.

On paper, our depth is concentrated in the 1-2-3 spots. The front court players are largely raw and unproven and it's hard to see what we're going to get out of the group.

I could see us trying to make do with playing four wings for long stretches in order to get our best players on the floor.
I think you hope a couple of those front court players separate themselves. Prince started 24 games as a freshman at BC and was injured part of last year. Would be surprised if he didn’t start at the 4.

After that it’s a bunch of question marks. Probably Okorafor as he is oldest and has most experience.

I think you hope a couple of those front court players separate themselves. Prince started 24 games as a freshman at BC and was injured part of last year. Would be surprised if he didn’t start at the 4.

After that it’s a bunch of question marks. Probably Okorafor as he is oldest and has most experience.
Absolutely you hope a couple of guys separate themselves but that still may not say a whole lot.

Aligbe is far and away our most experienced big with 62 games and 1,222 minutes in two seasons. Okorafor is next with 25 and 215 respectively followed by Tubek at 16 and 82.

If I had to choose right now -- based on little but what I hear -- Aligbe starts at the 4 and Yalden at the 5 as I suspect he's probably ahead of the other centers from a developmental standpoint.

Absolutely you hope a couple of guys separate themselves but that still may not say a whole lot.

Aligbe is far and away our most experienced big with 62 games and 1,222 minutes in two seasons. Okorafor is next with 25 and 215 respectively followed by Tubek at 16 and 82.

If I had to choose right now -- based on little but what I hear -- Aligbe starts at the 4 and Yalden at the 5 as I suspect he's probably ahead of the other centers from a developmental standpoint.
Yalden hasn't played competitively in over a year, so it's hard to project him as a starter at this point sight unseen. Without adding a bona fide center with the last spot, it's going to be a committee. Prince will get 20 - 25 mpg at the 4 and then after that 55-60 minutes based on who is showing the most.

I do like Yalden and hope he has a good learning curve and can play decent minutes by the BE schedule.

PG: Jenkins/Harmen/Felton
SG: Coleman/Middleton/Felton
SF: Wusu/Middleton/Tubek
PF: Prince/Tubek/Erheriene
C: Okorafor/Yalden/Erheriene/Mbaye (Redshirt)

I think Middleton is a better fit in the lineup as an elite shooter who doesn't need the ball in his hands but I don't think Wusu came back to be a 6th man as a 5th year senior. Wusu is Sha's guy and I think he will keep his starting spot to start the year. Middleton will have the green light off the bench to shoot a ton of shots. A huge upgrade over Sanders in that regard

Also, as much as I like Gus and wouldn't be the least disappointed if he won the starting job, I think Okorafor's experience and defensive abilities will give him the upper hand at least to start the season

I don’t think our starting power forward is on the roster yet
Perhaps. But I think people are overlooking Prince and Tubek and what they bring to the table. I expect Prince is to be our starting 4 and play well for us. Tubek didn't play much last year but he was a high ranking recruit who was recruited by the likes of Memphis and Creighton. I think he will have a chance to get some PT next season. If he isn't ready I can see Godswill pushing him for some minutes as a backup 4 man

I think Okoradaor is at the 5 unless we get something better with the last scholarship.
Agree. I think he's a Sha type big who's active around the basket and anchor a defense for 20 min a game. Yalden will compete with him for that starting spot but ultimately, I think Okorafor gets the nod to begin the season

Honestly, not the most ideal, but I'm expecting an opening night starting lineup of Jenkins/Coleman/Middleton/Wusu/Yalden.

The 5 is going to be someone with limited experience but due to their size. Gus or Godswill might be the default options to get their lumps early.
Wusu is coming back, assumingly, for a variety of reasons but I expect him to be a Senior starter. He's the small 4 to start before the 1st subs. He either gets subbed for a Aligbe/Tubek to have the team play bigger or switches if Coleman or Middleton get in trouble.
Jenkins and Harmon should play a reasonable split. The bigger guard to start before switching it up.

How the minutes are broken down is another debate. The team has talent but I expect it'll be ugly to watch when they start. I honestly expect a huge chunk of the rotation at a min of 10-15 min a game to figure things out. That Peacock Elite 8 run had 9 players with at least 13 MPG with no one having more than 26 min (comparison: SHU had 6 guys 13 MPG, and 4 of them played over 30 MPG). I would like to think Sha wants to not have such a dependency on players over the season

And again, this is assuming players play hard in practice to justify minutes

PG: Jenkins/Harmen/Felton
SG: Coleman/Middleton/Felton
SF: Wusu/Middleton/Tubek
PF: Prince/Tubek/Erheriene
C: Okorafor/Yalden/Erheriene/Mbaye (Redshirt)

I think Middleton is a better fit in the lineup as an elite shooter who doesn't need the ball in his hands but I don't think Wusu came back to be a 6th man as a 5th year senior. Wusu is Sha's guy and I think he will keep his starting spot to start the year. Middleton will have the green light off the bench to shoot a ton of shots. A huge upgrade over Sanders in that regard

Also, as much as I like Gus and wouldn't be the least disappointed if he won the starting job, I think Okorafor's experience and defensive abilities will give him the upper hand at least to start the season
Middleton might be the best player on the team so hard to imagine him not starting.

Remember now, none of us have seen all new guys play! But I like Coleman at the SF. Yeldon at C. Aligbe at PF. Harmon at the point. Middleton a much better version of Dawes at SG . Keep in mind that Dawes finished in semester 2 as our best player. I still say " Kadary who?" Let's boo him out of the building when he comes and goes 5-23 from the floor!

I would assume both Coleman and Addae-Wusu start. Middleton pushes them from bench, ultimately all play similar minutes.

Middleton has the talent to be a great player but hasn’t proven it yet.

Aligbe and Harmon seem like good backups, rotational pieces. Especially if we get Ezra Ausar. Then center by committee with the nod to Okoafar as the closest to start.

Reactions: SeanieWard
Cams, you posed the question, but didn't answer it! Would love to know what you thought!

Anyway, if season started today, and barring injuries:

1-3 - Jenkins (starter: 22.5 mins); Coleman (starter: 25.0); Wusu (starter: 27.5); Middleton (6th man: 25.0); Harmon (15.0); Felton (5.0)

4-5 - Player TBD (starter: 25.0 mins); Aligbe (starter: 20.0); Okorafor (12.5); Yalden (10.0); Tubek (7.5); Erheriene (5.0) Mbaye (0.0)

Equals 200 mins.

I dont have a clue.

I get the feeling that Sha is hoping he has 10 kids who will bust their ass for 20 minutes. I am thinking of the great GU teams of the 80s, with JT always having a sub at every ft so he could use the delay to ratchet up the pressure.

40 minutes of flogging!

Reactions: Piratz and cernjSHU
Honestly, not the most ideal, but I'm expecting an opening night starting lineup of Jenkins/Coleman/Middleton/Wusu/Yalden.

The 5 is going to be someone with limited experience but due to their size. Gus or Godswill might be the default options to get their lumps early.
Wusu is coming back, assumingly, for a variety of reasons but I expect him to be a Senior starter. He's the small 4 to start before the 1st subs. He either gets subbed for a Aligbe/Tubek to have the team play bigger or switches if Coleman or Middleton get in trouble.
Jenkins and Harmon should play a reasonable split. The bigger guard to start before switching it up.

How the minutes are broken down is another debate. The team has talent but I expect it'll be ugly to watch when they start. I honestly expect a huge chunk of the rotation at a min of 10-15 min a game to figure things out. That Peacock Elite 8 run had 9 players with at least 13 MPG with no one having more than 26 min (comparison: SHU had 6 guys 13 MPG, and 4 of them played over 30 MPG). I would like to think Sha wants to not have such a dependency on players over the season

And again, this is assuming players play hard in practice to justify minutes
I think the minutes are going to be more concentrated among a handful of players than most here would like to believe. Having a rotation of 10 players is terrific if those 10 players have the ability to compete with the opposition.

If our eighth to twelfth players play like our eighth to twelfth players did last year, you will see little of them outside of garbage time. If/when they play in spots where games hang in the balance, they will probably get quick hooks (think Sanders, Tubek and Nganga last season).

I hope Sha can play his preferred style, I just think there are too many ifs to do that. The roster is incredibly inexperienced at this point.

Cams, you posed the question, but didn't answer it! Would love to know what you thought!

Anyway, if season started today, and barring injuries:

1-3 - Jenkins (starter: 22.5 mins); Coleman (starter: 25.0); Wusu (starter: 27.5); Middleton (6th man: 25.0); Harmon (15.0); Felton (5.0)

4-5 - Player TBD (starter: 25.0 mins); Aligbe (starter: 20.0); Okorafor (12.5); Yalden (10.0); Tubek (7.5); Erheriene (5.0) Mbaye (0.0)

Equals 200 mins.
Its a hard question to answer that is why I posted it. Based on my limited knowledge so many players seem to have similar skill levels. I think this years team is going to represent more of Sha's vision then last years team. He has stated that he likes to play a lot of guys. He might not have a Kadary type player that is going to stuff the stat sheet but the depth looks pretty decent as long as all the players get along and buy in.
Last year there were talks that Kadary didn't want to share minutes and it seemed like Sha wanted to recruit that change of pace type back. This year it looks like he has that in Harmon.

I also think we are going to see lot of different packages of players depending on the matchup.

I like that you think that there is still enough in the piggy bank to get a starting center.

Not a starter but I also think Tubek is going to make a big leap. In the limited minutes he played he was high energy type of guy and showed he can knock down a shot.

Lastly I think Sha is going to reward the loyal ones that stayed. So i would expect to see nice jumps in minutes from Tubek, Coleman becomes a starter and Wusu remains one. Then again I can also see Middleton finding his way in there more often then not.

As for the rest ... crap shoot to me.

I think the minutes are going to be more concentrated among a handful of players than most here would like to believe. Having a rotation of 10 players is terrific if those 10 players have the ability to compete with the opposition.

If our eighth to twelfth players play like our eighth to twelfth players did last year, you will see little of them outside of garbage time. If/when they play in spots where games hang in the balance, they will probably get quick hooks (think Sanders, Tubek and Nganga last season).

I hope Sha can play his preferred style, I just think there are too many ifs to do that. The roster is incredibly inexperienced at this point.
If the drop off is similar this year, I definitely agree. I bet that the guards/wings will all play. I hope the new bigs prove worthy to get decent time. But I think Sha prefers to play harder and keep refreshing with rested bodies. I chuckle, me making predictions about PT for guys I never saw play. But Dan needs the clicks lol

I think Shaheen is going back to the St. Peters formula with this team. 10-man rotation (Middleton, Coleman, Jenkins, Wusu, Aligbe, Yalden, Tubek, Harmon, Felton, Okorafor). Everyone plays roughly 20mpg with a couple of guys getting high 20s (Coleman, Middleton) and a couple of guys getting below 10 (Okorafor, Felton).

I think Shaheen is going back to the St. Peters formula with this team. 10-man rotation (Middleton, Coleman, Jenkins, Wusu, Aligbe, Yalden, Tubek, Harmon, Felton, Okorafor). Everyone plays roughly 20mpg with a couple of guys getting high 20s (Coleman, Middleton) and a couple of guys getting below 10 (Okorafor, Felton).
Splitting hairs, but more like a 9 man rotation and players 10-12 earn their way in through effort and/or 7-9 faultering.

If the drop off is similar this year, I definitely agree. I bet that the guards/wings will all play. I hope the new bigs prove worthy to get decent time. But I think Sha prefers to play harder and keep refreshing with rested bodies. I chuckle, me making predictions about PT for guys I never saw play. But Dan needs the clicks lol
Actually the site is paid by how many people read each thread. But I have no idea of the formula used. Must be on a Kenpom wavelength.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Its a hard question to answer that is why I posted it. Based on my limited knowledge so many players seem to have similar skill levels. I think this years team is going to represent more of Sha's vision then last years team. He has stated that he likes to play a lot of guys. He might not have a Kadary type player that is going to stuff the stat sheet but the depth looks pretty decent as long as all the players get along and buy in.
Last year there were talks that Kadary didn't want to share minutes and it seemed like Sha wanted to recruit that change of pace type back. This year it looks like he has that in Harmon.

I also think we are going to see lot of different packages of players depending on the matchup.

I like that you think that there is still enough in the piggy bank to get a starting center.

Not a starter but I also think Tubek is going to make a big leap. In the limited minutes he played he was high energy type of guy and showed he can knock down a shot.

Lastly I think Sha is going to reward the loyal ones that stayed. So i would expect to see nice jumps in minutes from Tubek, Coleman becomes a starter and Wusu remains one. Then again I can also see Middleton finding his way in there more often then not.

As for the rest ... crap shoot to me.
Well, everyone knows who I'd like to see come in. ;) That being said, I'm really not sure we're in on any centers in the portal who can come in and start. If you get a starting power forward, you play the 5 by committee with what we have. Don't recall any dominant centers in the league last year except Kalkbrenner and Clingan, so you do the best you can. But, I do think we are missing a starting big in the front court right now.

Theres only 1 real question to answer:

Does Wusu start? Once that's settled the rest of the lineup falls into place

If he starts fine… but we were missing consistency from our bench last season and I think Wusu could help provide that consistency in terms of leadership, scoring and defense

Since Sha arrived, he has stated his desire to have a deep rotation but has not had healthy or able players to do so in his first 2 years.

This year's team appears more balanced at first glance but that could just be because there are not any "no-doubt" Alpha players on the team. Last year had the 3 returning starters who would clearly be our top scorers. This team is more unknown.

We have 4 guys who started at their schools last season although 2 were in much weaker conferences. Then you have 2 kids with great potential coming off encouraging freshman seasons in P5 conferences who you hope will make big leaps. The rest are almost complete unknowns.

Hoping we add a starting caliber PF or C still. Let's see who survives the Summer and is healthy in the Fall and who Sha can develop into players.

Starter experience
Wusu 32 mpg, 3-year starter BE
Aligbe 20-min avg, PT starter ACC
Jenkins 31mpg, 2-yr starter Sun Belt
Harmon 30mpg, 2-yr starter SWAC

Great talents hoping for big Sophomore breakouts
Coleman 18-min avg BE
Middleton 15-min avg B10

Great body & athleticism but little game experience
 Orkorafor 7-min avg ACC
Tubek 5-min avg BE back inj?

Completely Green Freshmen
Yalden RS Fresh
Godswill Fresh - foot inj
Felton Fresh
Mbaye Fresh

Personally, at least on paper, I’d be surprised if Wusu, Coleman, Middleton and Jenkins did not all average high 20 minutes per game.

The 10 man rotation is nice in theory, but much easier to execute IMO for various reasons at a place like SPU.

Personally, at least on paper, I’d be surprised if Wusu, Coleman, Middleton and Jenkins did not all average high 20 minutes per game.

The 10 man rotation is nice in theory, but much easier to execute IMO for various reasons at a place like SPU.
There is a pretty big drop off in experience pretty quick. I would expect Jenkins, Wusu, Coleman, Middleton, Prince, Okorafor, Harmon to get 25 mpg or more. That’s 150+ out of 200. It’s all a big question mark after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT