ADVERTISEMENT

Doubts About Duval

GymRat

All Big East
Jun 4, 2001
I have sat watching this recruiting process as it continues along in an ever more cringe worthy fashion. I wonder if it might be better for this kid to just go play in Europe for a year rather than going to college at all. Frankly his inability to make a decision seems to indicate maturity issues that might be best resolved by living away from home in a professional basketball environment before he attempts to make it to the NBA.

The influence of teams of people on the selection of a college, the desire to change a single season college selection into some type of an event are just not that earth shaking. Short of a rare player like a LeBron this has become a vastly overrated and drawn out process driven by the money pushers AAU teams, sneaker companies et al.

This kid seems like a good guy but he seems less and less likely to be setting himself up for success as he lets the influence of other people morph his fundamental business process of making a decision.

It will be interesting to look back on him 5 years down the road and see where this has all led him.

Reactions: lokiSHU
I have sat watching this recruiting process as it continues along in an ever more cringe worthy fashion. I wonder if it might be better for this kid to just go play in Europe for a year rather than going to college at all. Frankly his inability to make a decision seems to indicate maturity issues that might be best resolved by living away from home in a professional basketball environment before he attempts to make it to the NBA.

The influence of teams of people on the selection of a college, the desire to change a single season college selection into some type of an event are just not that earth shaking. Short of a rare player like a LeBron this has become a vastly overrated and drawn out process driven by the money pushers AAU teams, sneaker companies et al.

This kid seems like a good guy but he seems less and less likely to be setting himself up for success as he lets the influence of other people morph his fundamental business process of making a decision.

It will be interesting to look back on him 5 years down the road and see where this has all led him.
Ehh, if he is as good as advertised, he will announce - some will love the way he does it (fans of the school he picks) - many will pan it (schools he doesn't choose). Fact is if he really is a legit one and done, by this time next year it won't matter what he or his handlers are doing or how he "announced" his college decision (imo)...he'll be readying himself for the NBA Draft.

Once he's on an NBA roster it's all about results, the folks influencing him won't matter, unless they turn out to be a LaVar Ball...which they don't appear to be.

Numerous mcdonald's all-Americans have not committed yet or just did (knox)
He's stuck to his timeline.. that it will be a very late commitment. It's a big decision and if he puts himself in the best position to succeed and as a result bumps his draft stock a little that could result in tons of money.
Numerous high school athletes like to make a huge deal out of their commitment. It's a big decision and moment in their life. If they want to make a video then go for it.

You sound like a guy that's about to find out if the hottest girl in school will go to prom with him, when you know there is a 95% the answer is no.. "well she isn't that hot anyway and let's see whose laughing at the 5 year reunion."

Last edited:
I don't follow the recruitment trail as closely as others, but Duval's recruitment has been hard to avoid. I have no doubt he is very talented and will do very well.I do not expect him here; therefore, wherever he ends up is ok with me. I wish him the best and look forward to following the progress of our team in the next few months.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Duke's Frank Jackson sign w/ an agent. "I think he's gonna get drafted in the first round" - @franfraschilla
I would be shocked if that happened as I just don't see him as a 1st round talent. I think he has a chance to go undrafted.

Fran should stick to evaluating the International guys as that seems to be his wheel-house these days.

Reactions: Flnj86
The last day for signing is, I believe, the 17th. I don't have a problem with him taking his time. What's the harm?

I think the bigger problem is people over-analyzing his every move. What shirt is he wearing? What state is he in? What did his dad say? I'm not following it as closely as others, but I haven't seen anything that would make me question his maturity.

Reactions: Shuathelete
By not signing he can go anywhere he wishes at anytime and get "aid". Seriously can hypo thethicallywait till the school starts

GYMRAT, you have no idea what you are talking about.

He told us from day one he would wait till the last minute to pull the trigger.

Reactions: piratesbball08
GYMRAT, you have no idea what you are talking about.

He told us from day one he would wait till the last minute to pull the trigger.
No where in my post did I mention the timliness of his announcement.

You know what would be really memorable? I mean - like unforgettably memorable?

At the end of his announcement video event - during which he walks through the hallowed Cameron Indoor halls - talks about the great Dukies and all that - suddenly turns away and poof - he's on top of the Empire State Building with a number 15 jersey and a Pirates cap and crossed arms and a look that could kill.

Well - I'm just saying - it would be crazy memorable to pick us and make Coach K writhe on the ground like a stuck pig.

I know - I know - SPK is right - it is NOT happening. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL (that's five cents SPK).

But it would be crazy memorable. :)

He's just playing with everyone now. I followed him closely until the April Fool's tweet closely followed by the I am, I am not on Duke's campus fiasco.

At that point I let it go.

Well, yeah, I'm with you. I let it go to - well - except I concocted that silly "memorable" scenario.

Reactions: fdamato22
I have no problem with this kid waiting for as long as he wants. There are many factors that are personal to his decision. However, it is not cool to mess around with us by retweeting that if he is not going to commit here.
May just be excited that an NBA player is tweeting about him. Remember, he's a high school senior. Wouldn't you have retweeted it when you were 18? Hell, I'd retweet it at 40, and then call all my friends to make sure they saw it!

I'm going to choose to read this as him trying to get some fire back on his recruiting. Ever since the Durham snapchat, everyone has concluded that he's going to Duke and this is his way of trying to pump some juice back into his announcement.

I won't pretend to have any inside information, but the people here that are in the know are saying not to buy it so I'd suggest going with that. If he comes here, it'll make it even more exciting.

Man, you guys are miserable.... the #1 PG in the nation just retweeted a post about him coming to our school and you're all sour about it. I get it, you don't want to let your guard down and get burned again (like KA did to us), but don't take life so seriously. Be excited - enjoy it for what it is. Would you rather him retweet a post stating to go to Baylor?

He's been seen wearing Hall gear for interviews, consistently saying great things about our school - win -or-lose - he's been nothing but great PR for our school (keeping us in it down to the wire with 3 powerhouses). Even if he goes to Duke, we have a backup plan now so, while disappointed, it wont be catastrophic...

Support his journey, let him have his fun with it (he earned it), and who knows, maybe he is showing his cards and is Hall-In?

As has been stated previously duval leaning towards seton hall but being advised not to go there.the advisors aka hangers on have their own agenda with these high profile recruits and you never know behind the scenes if any booster at these blue blood schools is doing a favor for a friend or relative that tilts the final decision and like the joke classes at North Carolina that coach Roy had no knowledge of plausible deniability pretty easy to structure.Not saying this applies in this case but unfortunately it continues to apply in some cases but not like it was 20 plus years ago when it was blatant.

Man, you guys are miserable.... the #1 PG in the nation just retweeted a post about him coming to our school and you're all sour about it. I get it, you don't want to let your guard down and get burned again (like KA did to us), but don't take life so seriously. Be excited - enjoy it for what it is. Would you rather him retweet a post stating to go to Baylor?

He's been seen wearing Hall gear for interviews, consistently saying great things about our school - win -or-lose - he's been nothing but great PR for our school (keeping us in it down to the wire with 3 powerhouses). Even if he goes to Duke, we have a backup plan now so, while disappointed, it wont be catastrophic...

Support his journey, let him have his fun with it (he earned it), and who knows, maybe he is showing his cards and is Hall-In?

I agree with you here. Let it play out and not take it so seriously. Well said IMO. If Duval is coming to the Hall then fantastic. If not, we are in terrific shape with our roster and experienced seniors. Seton Hall basketball is alive and well my friends, with or without Trevon.

Reactions: Haas01562
As has been stated previously duval leaning towards seton hall but being advised not to go there.the advisors aka hangers on have their own agenda with these high profile recruits and you never know behind the scenes if any booster at these blue blood schools is doing a favor for a friend or relative that tilts the final decision and like the joke classes at North Carolina that coach Roy had no knowledge of plausible deniability pretty easy to structure.Not saying this applies in this case but unfortunately it continues to apply in some cases but not like it was 20 plus years ago when it was blatant.

This. Obvious.

So, that is why I am focused on the team we have and excited about Jordan Walker, our seniors, Myles Powell, our new recruits.

Now if teh crazy happens, I will shave my head. Hey I already order up a #1 when I go to the barber, so a #0 is a piece of cake!

"Tony, you're flunking TV Damit, TV!" "Hey coach, it's not just watching the tube."

Did he really conduct an interview in a SHU shirt?? Lmao, what a freaking circus. I hope we meet up with them next year.

I'll hold out hope that he's coming until I see a "Done Deal" thread. Then I'll know he's not coming to SHU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT