ADVERTISEMENT

DUVAL - it's official (finally)

Move on. We have a great recruiting class and let's keep building on it. We did not waste time and was worth the effort. Duke will go nowhere anyway.

"It was Duke all the way." - JerryCarino, but we didn't waste our time riiiight

I wish Duval good luck all year unless we play him of course. Duval has a ton of talent and it will be fun to watch him.

To say we wasted a lot of time on Duval is a joke. It's recruiting, you are going to miss more then hit. Our staff gave it their all and I bet under different circumstances we would of landed Duval. Going after your top targets hard is never a waste of time.

But, we were very lucky to get the PG that wanted to be a Pirate and is very talented in his own right who we should get to enjoy for 4 years.

I just don't see him fitting in well with dukes style. He was def worth the effort, he's without a doubt one of the best players in college basketball next season, just think if he wasn't coming here he'd fit in better with Kansas or Arizona's style better

Guess he had to wait till the coloring was done on his video. Good luck would've could've should've

So he's not coming ? Is it definite? You mean, he didn't take out a Seton Hall hat ? Damn...
You guys had me thinking there was a chance!!

Reactions: mjs429
Guess he had to wait till the coloring was done on his video. Good luck would've could've should've
I remember watching a special on another one and done, Ben Simmons, who stopped going to classes while at LSU and the coaching staff was afraid to suspend him because they were trying to get into the NCAA tourney which they never made. If this happened with Duval at the Hall it could have been a PR mess.

IW announced in his HS gym in BK with a makeshift banner. Duval announces with a watercolor cartoon.

Would have obviously loved to have him, but i like the "eat nails" persona our team has and id say its still intact.

Five-star point guard Trevon Duval commits to Duke

1468482.jpg

EVAN DANIELS
9:13 AM

Trevon Duval, a top 10 recruit, made his announcement on Monday, selecting Duke.

Five-star recruit Trevon Duval verbally committed to Duke on Monday, he announced.

Duval announced his pledge via video on The Player's Tribune.

Trevon Duval

IMG AcademyBradenton, FL
6'3" / 190 lbs
Analysis
A slick, quick backcourt performer who has grown to 6-3, Duval already is tested on both the EYBL and Under Armour circuits and has won summer championships in both leagues. He's an excellent scorer and playmaker with impressive athleticism. Duval is a terrific finisher and arguably the best lay up maker in high school basketball. He does a great job of adjusting his shots at the rim and plays well through contact. Duval has also improved as a playmaker and a passer. We love his confidence and unflappable demeanor along with his tough defense. The next step in his development is becoming more consistent as a shooter. His shot mechanics certainly aren't broke and he's capable of making shots, but becoming more consistent as a shooter is a key. Duval is currently the top point guard in the class of 2017.

Duval, a 6-foot-3 point guard out of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy, picked Duke over interest from a final list of schools that also included Kansas, Baylor, Seton Hall and Arizona.

The pledge gives Duke their point guard for next season. Duval ranks as the No. 2 point guard and the No.7 overall recruit in the 2017 class.

Duval is a dynamic playmaker that has spent his entire high school career ranked among the top 10 players. Duval has impressive speed, is a terrific ball handler and is on the of the best lay up makers in high school hoops in recent memory.

The Blue Devils now have six players in their 2017 class. To go with Duval, Duke will also be joined by five-star recruits Wendell Carter and Gary Trent next season, as well as Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker and Jordan Goldwire.

With the addition of Duval, Duke's recruiting class moves from No. 5 up to No. 2 in the 2017 recruiting class rankings.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1778276-trevon-duval-commits-to-duke

After all the hype over a cool announcement video that was underwhelming for me.

Congrats to Trevon tho, great school he should do well there.

Now that Trevon has officially announced his intentions, might there be another prospect on the immediate horizon that Seton Hall signs in the next little while?

I think we will wait to see what happens with Angel before any more commitments happen....

The reality is that there is little likelihood that any five star , top 20 player is ever going to choose SH over the traditional legendary programs like Ky. , Duke, Kansas , UNC , et al unless the player is tied to the hiring of an assistant coach with ties to the recruit. SH can still put very competitive, tourney caliber teams on the floor with smart , targeted recruiting by signing its share of the top 100 and top 150 recruits.

thank god we ended up with Walker who should have been our primary target from the beginning.

There are more times than not that trying to get the big dog for SHU will not work out. Good luck to all involved.

I hope he fails at duke and in the NBA. He's overrated

A post like this makes me think you are a troll. Why would you wish bad will on a kid who seriously considered us.

It's his life and he has to live, do schoool work, and play basketball at the school of his choice. I wouldn't want people telling me where to go.

We should all be happy that we got a talented guard who desperately wanted to be at Seton Hall and is going to play his tail off for the name in front of his jersey.

Good luck Trevon! He will light it up at Duke next season. Glad we got Walker who will be a great 3-4 year player

This. Killing a kid who picks Coach K and Duke...SMH

A post like this makes me think you are a troll. Why would you wish bad will on a kid who seriously considered us.

It's his life and he has to live, do schoool work, and play basketball at the school of his choice. I wouldn't want people telling me where to go.

We should all be happy that we got a talented guard who desperately wanted to be at Seton Hall and is going to play his tail off for the name in front of his jersey.

Reactions: Abbo71
There will be two sides to the question of our recruitment of Duval , an elite top twenty , five star player , those who say the effort and resources devoted to his recruitment are worthwhile and those who say it was not. As I said in an earlier post it is my belief that there is little likelihood that the players of the caliber of Duval choose SH over the traditional legendary programs unless there's a deal involving hiring a coach associated with the player. Putting it in business terms devoting precious recruiting resources on that type of player results in a low or negative ROI . I would rather those resources be devoted to targets of the caliber of a Powell, Cale, Sandro , Walker or KC or Desi where there is a legitimate chance of signing that player and we did and it has and will help this program become consistently successful.The other issue I see that factors into my view against targeting that type of player is that player in many cases signs late thus if you name is still on that players list it can cost you the loss of a recruit who wants to go to a school where he's the number 1 recruit at position .

Others who disagree I'm positive will make their case in support of their position and that's ok as it is a subject worth having a respectful debate on.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what happens when he's "accidently" tripped in practice by the guy whose spot he's trying to take. Hope he takes out that insurance policy.

While I don't blame Duval for choosing Duke, I don't give a rat's ass how he does next year.
This. Ok he chose Duke. Doesn't mean I'm going to kiss his butt thanking him for even considering SHU or wish him well. He's now playing for the competion.

Glad this is over.

Not disappointed he is going elsewhere, esp. as a one-and-done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT