ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Cooley

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Funny guy. What a time to be posting this with the lead up to Saturday. Maybe best to just be quiet?

Former Friars Cartwright, Dunn, and Henton.

My neighbor went to Providence. He said over the summer tickets were going for $500. He said Fox insisted this be a noon game versus a night game.

At the end of the day, he really did a shitty thing going within conference to Gtown and essentially tanking a really good season. Georgetown is equally as shitty going after coach in same conference during the season. I always liked Cooley up until this all happened. Terrible look.

My neighbor went to Providence. He said over the summer tickets were going for $500. He said Fox insisted this be a noon game versus a night game.

At the end of the day, he really did a shitty thing going within conference to Gtown and essentially tanking a really good season. Georgetown is equally as shitty going after coach in same conference during the season. I always liked Cooley up until this all happened. Terrible look.
I can’t imagine what would happen if this wasn’t a noon game and those students/fans had a full day to get tuned up.

I too was once young and stupid....and did and said some crazy stuff. But these kids really brought shame upon themselves and the fine Catholic institution they attend.

The standard for public behavior has really plunged in recent years. I won't get into why I think that has happened. But this student performance sure is a complete embarrassment for Providence College.

Amazing how unlikeable Cooley has become. I always liked him, but based on everything that went on last year, along with his recent interviews, etc, I have done a complete 180 on him.

And at the end of the day, while he will certainly improve the Gtown program, I think he has a ceiling as a coach (meaning he will make the tournament, but winning games will be far and few between).

With the game on the line with under 2 minutes to go, Breeding makes the most asinine flagrant foul call I have ever seen. (Except for a couple he made in the 2019 BET vs Marquette!).

Amazing how unlikeable Cooley has become. I always liked him, but based on everything that went on last year, along with his recent interviews, etc, I have done a complete 180 on him.

And at the end of the day, while he will certainly improve the Gtown program, I think he has a ceiling as a coach (meaning he will make the tournament, but winning games will be far and few between).
I think he’s a good coach and on a similar plane with Willard, prob a tick above in accomplishments. Both are guys that rebuilt dormant programs on 10-year NCAAT droughts that never had the resources of their peers in any BE era (although that has changed now at PC thanks to him and the dynamics there vs here).

Their teams were usually capped to the dreaded 7-10 seed range and struggled in the NCAAT. Mostly bc of the roster limits or coaching? When he had the roster to push through he got through in 2022. Maybe Willard would’ve in 2020. Both are in positions now to get better players. We’ll see.

Cooley’s demeanor has been insufferable the past year bc he got himself in trouble and is scrambling publicly still.

I think he’s a good coach and on a similar plane with Willard, prob a tick above in accomplishments. Both are guys that rebuilt dormant programs on 10-year NCAAT droughts that never had the resources of their peers in any BE era (although that has changed now at PC thanks to him and the dynamics there vs here).

Their teams were usually capped to the dreaded 7-10 seed range and struggled in the NCAAT. Mostly bc of the roster limits or coaching? When he had the roster to push through he got through in 2022. Maybe Willard would’ve in 2020. Both are in positions now to get better players. We’ll see.

Cooley’s demeanor has been insufferable the past year bc he got himself in trouble and is scrambling publicly still.
If he was coaching Seton Hall, the majority of the board and our fans would love him.

I was never the biggest fan of his personal antics, while acknowledging he did a really good job at Providence and is a very good coach.

The rumors around his departure fall into "where there is smoke, there is fire" stuff. Who knows to what extent they are true, similar to everything surrounding Richmond the past few days. HIs antics since don't make me like him as much, but he's still a good coach, and I expect him to do really well with the Georgetown brand behind him.

Reactions: LBP43
the guy messed up his entire life and is spiraling mentally. he's trying to convince himself otherwise.

btw his team stinks

Reactions: Piratz
I too was once young and stupid....and did and said some crazy stuff. But these kids really brought shame upon themselves and the fine Catholic institution they attend.

The standard for public behavior has really plunged in recent years. I won't get into why I think that has happened. But this student performance sure is a complete embarrassment for Providence College.
Most of it is the kids, but the locals are also a part of it.
There‘s a different type of interest in things when everything about the team is the lead story on the evening news sports report… and in the case of Cooley, the entire evening news. It’s just a different vibe.

If he was coaching Seton Hall, the majority of the board and our fans would love him.

I was never the biggest fan of his personal antics, while acknowledging he did a really good job at Providence and is a very good coach.

The rumors around his departure fall into "where there is smoke, there is fire" stuff. Who knows to what extent they are true, similar to everything surrounding Richmond the past few days. HIs antics since don't make me like him as much, but he's still a good coach, and I expect him to do really well with the Georgetown brand behind him.
Not even if he was our coach. The Cooley love on here was only rivaled by the McDermott love.

The PC fan base is quickly rising on my most disliked list.

There‘s no question the Cooley stories are true.

The other question though is what the Georgetown brand is worth at this time. They can’t even get 2K to a home game, never mind having a national presence. They have a lot of rebuilding to do.

I still can't figure out the allure of the Georgetown job.

Providence fans are very supportive and there's no shortage of NIL funds.

I don't condone the foul language, but it's not easy to lose a longtime coach to a conference foe.

There‘s no question the Cooley stories are true.

The other question though is what the Georgetown brand is worth at this time. They can’t even get 2K to a home game, never mind having a national presence. They have a lot of rebuilding to do.
It’s a fair question on the allure. Their home attendance is beyond awful. There isn’t a single BE school besides Depaul that has ever had attendance levels approaching that. So I get it.

Maybe I’m dating myself, but I still think Gtown is a good “brand” in the college basketball world. It’s a top flight academic school, for those who put stock in that. Great recruiting base. And I think the view is they have all kinds of resources (ie money) and alums for Cooley to possibly draw from if he can make the sell. And he’s for sure a salesman.

I still can't figure out the allure of the Georgetown job.

Providence fans are very supportive and there's no shortage of NIL funds.

I don't condone the foul language, but it's not easy to lose a longtime coach to a conference foe.
Oh I don’t blame their fans for disliking the guy. At all. And whatever they can’t or do short of violence or destruction, whatever, even if it wasn’t what I would do.

One of the posters above seemed to indicate they wouldn’t root for the guy if he was our coach. Totally disagree. The majority of our fan base and most of this board would root for anyone who wins games. I hate the current version of NIL with all my soul and still watch. Folks who said they would never support pure “pay or play” on principled grounds are now literally among the same group who champions such activity. So if this guy was coaching the Hall people would root for his success, and you of all people should recognize that.

What does it say if your longtime successful coach who receives all kinds of support decides to leave for a conference rival that’s wins two league games in two years? There is something that says Gtown will always be a better brand with more resources than PC. Not sure I agree but that’s what some people are saying.

I could see it going either way at Georgetown. When you really dig deep into the history there, it's entirely driven by the Thompson family. That program was absolutely nothing before Big John got there. It then saw lean years after Big John left and prior to JT3 (Esherick era). After JT3, it has obviously fallen off a cliff.

I think Cooley could get it done there, but I don't think it's a given. Going to be harder than most believe. The generation of kids he is going to be recruiting even right now were born in the late 2000's. Georgetown's last Final Four (and Sweet 16) was 2007. The glory days of Georgetown resonate with people of a certain age who revere the early days of the Big East, not with the current generation. To them, Georgetown has mostly been a bad program as they've come of age.

No reason he couldn’t do well there if he recruits the DC area well, still recruits NY/NJ, and gets the needed transfers like he was doing at PC..

It will be interesting to watch. SHU/Holloway has enough competition as it is in the League, so would only make life more difficult if Ed does get it going there.

I could see it going either way at Georgetown. When you really dig deep into the history there, it's entirely driven by the Thompson family. That program was absolutely nothing before Big John got there. It then saw lean years after Big John left and prior to JT3 (Esherick era). After JT3, it has obviously fallen off a cliff.

I think Cooley could get it done there, but I don't think it's a given. Going to be harder than most believe. The generation of kids he is going to be recruiting even right now were born in the late 2000's. Georgetown's last Final Four (and Sweet 16) was 2007. The glory days of Georgetown resonate with people of a certain age who revere the early days of the Big East, not with the current generation. To them, Georgetown has mostly been a bad program as they've come of age.
That’s exactly right. Of all the original Big East schools, Georgetown had the worst history. Basically nothing before Thompson arrived.

How one views Georgetown is definitely generational.

The other thing there is while there’s a lot of academic prestige and alums with $$$, it’s been questionable regarding how much many of those people care about basketball.

if i was a georgetown fan i wouldn't like the fact a long time rival coach bolted to my team because he was an adulterer and a drunk in providence. otherwise he wouldn't have considered leaving Gtown. so much baggage there. i would have looked elsewhere.

if i was a georgetown fan i wouldn't like the fact a long time rival coach bolted to my team because he was an adulterer and a drunk in providence. otherwise he wouldn't have considered leaving Gtown. so much baggage there. i would have looked elsewhere.
Coming in the door, sure I get that. And once he starts winning games, all that goes by the wayside.

So I'm definitely someone of a certain age who revere the early days of the Big East, and that colors my opinion on why I think he can revive Gtown. The current players/generation have probably never seen Gtown as a big time program, so that won't resonate. I think it does probably to some extent with their parents, coaches, advisors and the like.

A reason I'm confident is that Ewing didn't have a problem getting talent there. He just wasn't a good coach. He recruited better during periods than we did, despite our program being the better one during that timeframe. So if Ewing can land really talented kids, I think Cooley will too, as he was a good recruiter at Providence. Combine that with his track record as a coach, I think he will get them back, not to Hoya paranoia, but to a NCAA tourney level type program on a semi-consistent basis, with the potential to have a higher ceiling in certain years. And that will, in turn, garner interest (and probably dollars) from alums and maybe people start showing up to watch too.

The funny thing about the Cooley love is his PC resume isn't much better than Willard's SHU resume.

Cooley was 242-153 (119-99) at PC. In 12 years, he won one BE regular season championship and one Big East Tournament title (he can thank us for taking out the top seed for him), finished tied for third three times and finished fourth, either shared or outright, four times.

He made seven NCAAs in his time at PC and advanced past the first round twice -- in 2015 and their Sweet 16 season of 2022. In 2017, they lost in the First Four.

It's that last part that would sour many here, I think. Willard took a great deal of heat for not being able to get to the second weekend. It certainly didn't help him that his best chance to do so was wiped away by COVID.

Ironically, it was COVID that helped allow Cooley to have his own breakout with that Sweet 16 team. We played them at PC shorthanded but they never had to play the return game b/c of their own outbreak. They also didn't play at Creighton and home against UConn that season (three of the other five teams that had winning BE records that season).

Coming in the door, sure I get that. And once he starts winning games, all that goes by the wayside.
its a big job, if 3 years go by and no winning it could look bad there

i agree winning does cure all, but right now i wouldnt be too thrilled. he certainly didn't have an effect on attendance

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT