ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Cooley

Oh I don’t blame their fans for disliking the guy. At all. And whatever they can’t or do short of violence or destruction, whatever, even if it wasn’t what I would do.

One of the posters above seemed to indicate they wouldn’t root for the guy if he was our coach. Totally disagree. The majority of our fan base and most of this board would root for anyone who wins games. I hate the current version of NIL with all my soul and still watch. Folks who said they would never support pure “pay or play” on principled grounds are now literally among the same group who champions such activity. So if this guy was coaching the Hall people would root for his success, and you of all people should recognize that.
In my opinion, I doubt the league office was unhappy with Cooley to Georgetown. The league needs a good Georgetown as it moves forward. The Georgetown brand still means a lot.

Reactions: Piratz
What does it say if your longtime successful coach who receives all kinds of support decides to leave for a conference rival that’s wins two league games in two years? There is something that says Gtown will always be a better brand with more resources than PC. Not sure I agree but that’s what some people are saying.
I think it was fortuitous that the Georgetown job was opening when Cooley’s life went into crisis and he faced the ultimatum. Without the crisis it doesn’t happen. The added money Georgetown has was the ironic bonus, not the intent when he realized he needed to get out of Providence or lose his family.

His daughter went there, they vacationed at the Shore there. He wanted to be in the BE, didn’t want to leave PC.

Talk about getting lucky…

if i was a georgetown fan i wouldn't like the fact a long time rival coach bolted to my team because he was an adulterer and a drunk in providence. otherwise he wouldn't have considered leaving Gtown. so much baggage there. i would have looked elsewhere.
... and pay that guy $6M/yr.

Reactions: SHUSA
That’s exactly right. Of all the original Big East schools, Georgetown had the worst history. Basically nothing before Thompson arrived.

How one views Georgetown is definitely generational.

The other thing there is while there’s a lot of academic prestige and alums with $$$, it’s been questionable regarding how much many of those people care about basketball.
And do those wealthy alumni translate into more NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT