ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoy The Not Invited Tournament, nova!

Villanova should be in. I also expect them to beat Creighton.

just a shame a team like USF sitting in the top 25 at 23-5. Does almost everything they have to do and will be left out for a team with 13 maybe 14 losses.

If USF keeps winning but doesn't get the auto bid I have a suspicion they'll go to the First 4 for a prove it game.

Agree with your point that its a shame they could be left out for a 13 or 14 loss team.

Nova is better at home. They also beat Creighton away. They could certainly win at home Saturday. Nothing surprises me in the BE.

They are still very much in the mix. Their OOC performance helps them. People don’t appreciate how much work we had to do to get in the right side of the bubble because of the OOC, SOS and metrics.

Btw while I get the Nova dislike we should want every Big East bubble team to keep winning. We are 4-2 against that group and it only helps our cause and our league.

They're not getting in without beating Creighton or winning the BET. You can't take a bid with 15 losses.
not sure how a 15 loss team can be top 25 in metrics, but despite what people say i guarantee these metrics are used in selecting teams (as opposed to strictly ranking teams as it was advertised)

teams like Nova get the benefit of the doubt. weve seen that time and time again by the committee.

Reactions: TomD82
If they do and Marquette loses to UConn tonight and Xavier on the road that would be a 3 way tie for 2nd.

Correct. We want Marquette to lose out and Creighton to beat Villanova on Saturday. That gets the Hall to third place. We lose the three way tiebreak with MU and CU but win the head to head with MU.

Reactions: pirate AI
just a shame a team like USF sitting in the top 25 at 23-5. Does almost everything they have to do and will be left out for a team with 13 maybe 14 losses.
They've beaten almost nobody. FAU is their only top 50 win. Add SMU and Memphis and they have three top 75 wins. They have two better OOC wins than we do (Loyola Chicago at 88 and Florida State at 98) but 17 of their 23 wins are Q3 and Q4.

They've also lost to Maine (220) and UTSA (259) -- a pair of Q4 losses.

The American has become like the MVC, Southern and Sun Belt and other mid-major conferences, leagues with a couple of good teams and a bunch of metrics killers.

NO team with a 15 loss team has EVER gotten an open bid with a 15 loss record. Villanova 2024 does not warrant that being tested. Loss to Creighton RIP!

Reactions: Gohall129
They are still very much in the mix. Their OOC performance helps them. People don’t appreciate how much work we had to do to get in the right side of the bubble because of the OOC, SOS and metrics.

Btw while I get the Nova dislike we should want every Big East bubble team to keep winning. We are 4-2 against that group and it only helps our cause and our league.
Agree…always want as many BE teams to make the dance and advance. Nova can be a difficult out in the NCAA because of experience, three ball and defense. They have played great recently too.

There is a lot of talent on that team. What would their record be if Jay were there.

Seton Hall - Strength of Record - 36 (9 seed)
Nova - Strength of Record - 56

Let’s call a spade a spade here - this Hall team has played incredible basketball and has won quite a few games they have had no business winning as solid home / road dogs. Vegas and all the predictive metrics do not have them as a top 50 team which is reflected in the betting lines for all these games.

BUT to get penalized in anyway for the #36 resume because of the predictive metrics is just insanity. Why play the basketball games?

Also, for those who like to pontificate, I do have a definitive knowledge of how all these metrics function, but to have them play even a marginal role in minimizing the importance of Wins and Losses goes against the spirit of sports.

Just my two cents.

Seton Hall - Strength of Record - 36 (9 seed)
Nova - Strength of Record - 56

Let’s call a spade a spade here - this Hall team has played incredible basketball and has won quite a few games they have had no business winning as solid home / road dogs. Vegas and all the predictive metrics do not have them as a top 50 team which is reflected in the betting lines for all these games.

BUT to get penalized in anyway for the #36 resume because of the predictive metrics is just insanity. Why play the basketball games?

Also, for those who like to pontificate, I do have a definitive knowledge of how all these metrics function, but to have them play even a marginal role in minimizing the importance of Wins and Losses goes against the spirit of sports.

Just my two cents.
+100000

I think we can stick a fork in the wildcats. They’re not winning the BET, and a fifteen loss team(which they will be after not winning the BET) has no business in the dance.

Though I’ve come to despise creighton, it was great seeing nova get their hearts ripped out at the end there. In a way, it was better that they came back. It made the conclusion all the more sweet that they thought they had a chance at the end.

I saw a statistic which said since conference realignment, every Big East team with 11 conference wins has made the tournament.

That means the top 3 plus Seton Hall are locks IMO (we get to 13 tonight, which will carry weight regardless of metrics or the BE tournament, which historically do not carry as much weight I believe).

I think St. John's getting its 11th conference win today probably puts them in too, given their SOS/metrics, etc. To avoid sweating it out, a W in the BE tourney makes them a lock. But I think they probably get in regardless now because of the 11 conferences wins and the metrics. Otherwise they would be the first 11 conference win BE team to get left out post-realignment.

Same thing with Providence if they can get to 11 conference wins tonight with a W over Uconn. Otherwise they will need to do work in the BE tourney.

I think Nova needs to do work in the conference tourney.

I saw a statistic which said since conference realignment, every Big East team with 11 conference wins has made the tournament.

That means the top 3 plus Seton Hall are locks IMO (we get to 13 tonight, which will carry weight regardless of metrics or the BE tournament, which historically do not carry as much weight I believe).

I think St. John's getting its 11th conference win today probably puts them in too, given their SOS/metrics, etc. To avoid sweating it out, a W in the BE tourney makes them a lock. But I think they probably get in regardless now because of the 11 conferences wins and the metrics. Otherwise they would be the first 11 conference win BE team to get left out post-realignment.

Same thing with Providence if they can get to 11 conference wins tonight with a W over Uconn. Otherwise they will need to do work in the BE tourney.

I think Nova needs to do work in the conference tourney.
Can only be considered since UConn rejoined because that pushed the schedule to 20 games.

I’ll gladly eat crow. I deserve it.

I didn’t foresee just how crazy it would get. I didn’t foresee just how much we wouldn’t show up against SJU. Lesson learned. Hopefully the team learned its lesson, too.

I’ll gladly eat crow. I deserve it.

I didn’t foresee just how crazy it would get. I didn’t foresee just how much we wouldn’t show up against SJU. Lesson learned. Hopefully the team learned its lesson, too.
That game obviously didn’t matter a whit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT