ADVERTISEMENT

So what is the solution??

HallGuy23

Senior
Jun 3, 2020
beings we can’t count on winning 14 games or more in the conference to secure a bid what is our best method going forward. Especially if we heaven forbid only win 9 or 10 conference games.

Do we:

A- schedule a bunch of patsies and hopefully steamroll them all?

B- schedule a bunch of top programs and hopefully steal a few and play tight games?

I suggest B, however, the problem with tht nowadays is that a program may be great in 2024 when you agree to scheduling but in 2026 or 2027 when you play them they may stink due to portal and nil

I’m not saying we have to schedule UNC and Kansas. But there’s no reason we can’t get Virginia, Penn St, Maryland, etc on the schedule for winnable quad 1/2 games..

But I don’t wanna see more than 1 game a year against our usual suspects: fdu, spu, rider, Monmouth, Wagner, etc. we have to do something to stand out, scheduling them for multiple games every year is pointless.

Last edited:
beings we can’t count on winning 14 games or more in the conference to secure a bid what is our best method going forward. Especially if we heaven forbid only win 9 or 10 conference games.

Do we:

A- schedule a bunch of patsies and hopefully steamroll them all?

B- schedule a bunch of top programs and hopefully steal a few and play tight games?

I suggest B, however, the problem with tht nowadays is that a program may be great in 2024 when you agree to scheduling but in 2026 or 2027 when you play them they may stink due to portal and nil

But I don’t wanna see more than 1 game a year against our usual suspects: fdu, spu, rider, Monmouth, Wagner, etc. we have to do something to stand out, scheduling them for multiple games every year is pointless.
Have better W-L in ooc
Don't have non competitive losses on road in conference

C. Send your kids to UNC and always have a fallback team to root for. College sports is corrupt and it’s so far gone it’s not coming back

Basically the solution is another better then what we did in the non-con.

like Sha said " he chose not to blow out teams" cause that was the usual sportsman thing todo but now the NCAA has gone Cobra Kai aka "no mercy"

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
like Sha said " he chose not to blow out teams" cause that was the usual sportsman thing todo but now the NCAA has gone Cobra Kai aka "no mercy"
Regardless, we still should not blow out or embarrass opponents.

1. Win games against weak teams in large conferences.
2. Show up prepared against teams like Xavier, Villanova, and St. John's ---- esp in day 1 of our tournament.
3. Do not be taken-in by media talking suits who say we are in, at any time. They say everyone on the near-
bubble is in. Why should they not suck up to any team?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this: it's kind of a 800 pound [bald-headed] gorilla in a suit sitting in the corner.
Kevin would have been absolutely skewered here, esp., if it was his comatose team that played at the Garden last week.

1. Win games against weak teams in large conferences.
2. Show up prepared against teams like Xavier, Villanova, and St. John's ---- esp in day 1 of our tournament.
3. Do not be taken-in by media talking suits who say we are in, at any time. They say everyone on the near-
bubble is in. Why should they not suck up to any team?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this: it's kind of a 800 pound [bald-headed] gorilla in a suit sitting in the corner.
Kevin would have been absolutely skewered here, esp., if it was his comatose team that played at the Garden last week.
You don’t think Sha was fairly criticized for the effort at the Garden?

Plenty of people said that it was not acceptable to hear that the team wasn’t mentally prepared, yet again.

I believe he didn’t get killed as much as he should have in the moment, because everyone had thought we still had done enough. 5 bid stealers later and that wasn’t the case. Geez…only 3 bid stealers and we had essentially done enough.

Sha exceeded expectations with this squad by leaps and bounds. Don’t think Thursday was the time or place to start bringing up Willard comparisons.

Take away that San Diego trip and put in two mid majors team would've been 22-10 bad ooc record gone . Committee gave no credit for a team improving throughout yr.

Have better W-L in ooc

Please stop citing the road losses in conference. You can say that for most of college basketball.
The key word(s) was non-competitive. Losing on the road is expected. We were 6-9 in road/neutral games. The record itself wasn't an issue.

The nine road/neutral losses came with an average margin of 19 per game. By 8, 13, 18, 20, 18, 24, 21, 30, 19. At some point somebody has to look at a team with this variance from its home performance and ask if its going to be competitive in a non-home setting.

Reactions: chickenbox
You don’t think Sha was fairly criticized for the effort at the Garden?

Plenty of people said that it was not acceptable to hear that the team wasn’t mentally prepared, yet again.

I believe he didn’t get killed as much as he should have in the moment, because everyone had thought we still had done enough. 5 bid stealers later and that wasn’t the case. Geez…only 3 bid stealers and we had essentially done enough.

Sha exceeded expectations with this squad by leaps and bounds. Don’t think Thursday was the time or place to start bringing up Willard comparisons.
Ummm…how did College Park do with their expectations vs. what Sha was expected to produce this season?

And how did the “bald headed gorilla” Kevin do in his first 5 years before he had IW and company?

2 NIT games in 5 years.

I wouldn’t pay that poster much attention.

Have better W-L in ooc
Many great points and ideas above. I think it's NET/RPI manipulation and controlling what you can control, what I'll call Cutting the Fat. Take this year's first 4 games St Peter's/FDU/Albany/Wagner.

If you just replace those 4 teams with 4 of the bottom 5 Ivy League teams, SHU's final NET rating is probably 8 spots higher with everything else remaining the same. SHU still wins those games, but the Ivy being rated as no 11 conference but having teams at the bottom that are in essence the same as the team's SHU scheduled would make that an easy swap!
I think SHU must get better at NET manipulation.
Not all guarantee games are the same, when you look closer, it's actually a huge gap!

Reactions: HallGuy23
Play against the Mountain West Teams -- San Jose State ; Air Force ; Wyoming : Fresno State.

Until the Big East starts getting the respect it deserves , there is little that can be done.

Time for the Commissioner to wake up. This Year Providence , Johnnies and Nova ( let alone Butler) never had a chance.

Regardless, we still should not blow out or embarrass opponents.
And developing the bench is something you can do in games like that. If anything, long term for the season or otherwise, I would argue it is still a net gain if you can improve the depth and bench as opposed to leaving in starters to play max minutes and pad or maintain the lead.

Time and time again shaheen has said this team didnt practice well or wasnt prepared. I dont blame him. Guy is dying to win but if hes got kids whos minds and drive arent there then what can u do?

Few coaches demand what Holloway demands. Maybe other coaches might be satisfied with what they see in practice where Sha is not.

That said, no player anywhere can bring it every single day when you have been playing BB since the summer virtually non stop. These players are not robots.

Hasnt the BE always gotten the respect it deserves till this post season?
Seton 75 I believe that Big East has gotten the respect it earned until this season .

Not since 1993 did Big East have only 3 Teams taken ( ironically SHU won the league -was one of the 3 and Syracuse with a 20 win record-10-8 was not given bid because a self imposed ban ).

The Big East TV ratings this Year were significantly better: https://painttouches.com/2024/03/19/big-east-tournament-tv-ratings-spike-in-2024/

I do believe that the Commissioner " was asleep at the wheel ". Her appointment of a weak Representative to the Committee ( a Butler AD whom had retired and was known as an empty suit ) and failures to prepare as did the Mountain West is not excusable. Her failures since have been blameworthy.

Danny and Ricky together With the Coaches understand how important the selection of Big East I a Teams is both financially and optically and I applaud them for their united support .

My thoughts are as follows, the Big East will be in trouble every year moving forward as the Big East:
1. Is not a football conference
2. Is a Fox hoops conference and NCAA and CBS are in bed together, not a good situation
3. look to be shunned on annual basis

Let's look at Samuel. Had a good career here. Chased the money and got bounced early in first round. Where does it put him?
If he stayed here perhaps we go to sweet 16 and he really develops another year in shas system setting him into potential nba consideration.
Did he make the right choice?

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
My thoughts are as follows, the Big East will be in trouble every year moving forward as the Big East:
1. Is not a football conference
2. Is a Fox hoops conference and NCAA and CBS are in bed together, not a good situation
3. look to be shunned on annual basis
While the BE got screwed this year big time, we have not seen any indication since the reformation of the BE where this has happened. So it is possible that it is a one time event, mainly due to amount of upsets where the BE borderline teams end up on wrong end, when probably the teams cut should have came from other conference.

I think #1 is a problem, as these conferences become mega conferences, they will be able to exert more influence over the process.

#2 is really not legit concern in my opinion. BE has a relationship with CBS, but even if they did not I am not sure this comes into play. Also, as we move on Turner is getting more and more influence in the NCAA tourney.

#3 we will see if this year was a 1x event or will be something ongoing. Thing is the MWC conference is really who made out in this tourney, while they are a football conference, they are not one of the P5. Even going forward if they merge with what is left of Pac12, I cannot see them having an advantage over BE when comes to basketball tourney. Actually if you think about it, the others (ACC/B10/B12/SEC) would be more likely like to keep MWC down as they want to keep as much of the football TV & playoff pot (the real money) and not have to share it with lower football conferences.

I sense the conference will get more bids next year. The question is whether we will benefit from being screwed this year.

Reactions: walshtrips
We scheduled Baylor, USC, Iowa, Missouri and RU in our 2023 OOC schedule. Most of these were expected to be Top 50 teams this year. I believe USC was ranked just prior to playing them. The scheduling was fine, the steep decent in NET rankings for the teams that beat us was a back breaker.

The only solution left is to put Dennis Kozlowski’s name back on the business school building

Or for beating UConn, apparently.
Or Marquette or for losing 2 games without Richmond. Nonetheless, the commisioner (in all his wisdom) did bring up we beat UCONN without Clingan. And what he forgot is we were beating UCONN before he went out, and he had just picked up his 3rd foul.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Don’t know how you can be so sure. Wonder what is left of the $150. And he was nothing but a cog to Florida. I just don’t sense Sha is like that.

He had a great year averaging 14 and 7.4. Not sure he would have done much better than that here.

Reactions: Piratz
Time will tell. I am constantly amazed at the sheer certainty that resides here.

Nothing is certain. I just thought he had a solid year, and made a decent amount of money for it.
He could have done better here. I'm just not convinced he would have, so it's hard to say it was a bad choice for him.

Samuel doesn’t seem to be unhappy or complaining. He thrived at UF. Whatever he got we couldn’t match it at the time, that much is clear. Funny he had to match up with Lamkin, who was on the TCU team that drilled Seton Hall in Samuel’s only other NCAA Tournament experience in 2022.

We were fortunate that we got everything we could out of Richmond and Davis this year and they stayed healthy because we also got them on the cheap this year compared to their production levels given their injury history, IMO. Glad to hear we’re in much better position this offseason.

Sha will have to pull another rabbit out of a hat next year if we want to make the tournament. Have to think teams will recruit against us by saying we don't have the NIL money or the respect of the NCAA. It's gonna be an uphill battle IMO. The snub I believe will hurt us on the recruiting trail this year quite a bit.

Reactions: Merge
There’s going to be a fatigue / rebound effect with NIL. even for the schools with top $. TCU Athletic Director recently gave an interview with SI about donor fatigue.

The old Supply and demand models will play out. As there’s now unlimited inventory in the portal.

I do project the high school recruiting dynamic will shift as higher rated players will target schools like Iona where high playing time and lower competition will be a prove it model for year 2 and larger schools.

Nothing is certain. I just thought he had a solid year, and made a decent amount of money for it.
He could have done better here. I'm just not convinced he would have, so it's hard to say it was a bad choice for him.
I wouldn’t say either way. That’s all

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT