ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Pirates vs. St. John’s

luckily we have an amazing coach.

youre really trying to do a "gotcha" moment to game thread comments about the team being down by 20 in the first half? got me!!!
I just wish we weren’t so dumb…

Good try though…what about the big men and Wusu? Any credit now?

We started poorly. We never played that well. We shot, even for us, badly from 2 and 3 and were uncharacteristically bad from the line. We played a team away that i guess has an net 20 places higher than us.

AND WE WON!!!!! Stick your metrics where the sun dont shine.

ONE STAT -- WHO WON

SJ dictated tempo the first 3/4 of 1st half..... SHU..... dominated the rest of the way. Unbelievable D in second half. No balls no blue chips. Only 2 Turnovers second half vs 9 first half. Thankfully we survived what was probably the worst FT shooting night of the year.

Now a bit of rest and get ready for Butler.

Last edited:
The first 3 pages … yikes.

The posters that turned the channel and gave up lol
to be fair, that Ranger game was epic!

2 huge comebacks to day...Rangers down 4-1....goes to 5-3....about 5 minutes left, PP, and they pull Igor! had to do it, needing 2 goals, but still gutsy. Obviously they score...then another PP...again pull Igor....and score again!

Win in one of the quickest OTs you would ever see...which was good as I got back to the SHU game to see them (at that time) closing in on the Johnnies!

Reactions: NittanyPirate
Even knowing who Pitino is, those quotes are atrocious. He’s either not coming back or you can expect an entirely new team next year. Either way, very grimy to make those comments about…the kids you recruited in?

Yeah lets pass blame on Anderson when you brought in most of this roster. They’re underachieving and he’s trying to save face.

Yeah. He most likely comes back but his some of his comments this year are ridiculous. Even for him. Nothing would surprise me though.

Reactions: Gritty5837
I am sure this will pump up the team to have a strong finish.......

Then again....maybe we have found DePaul's win! lol

I mean....just throw your team under the bus Ricky....didnt you pick/recruit them?? Most first year coaches get the "have to wait until I have a roster of my kids".....well......that's what he has! He ran off the old roster....went cherry picking....was bragging about it....basically finding a way to have a 14 man roster....hah look at me....

how did that work out?

Reactions: LBP43 and Jerry1992
Even knowing who Pitino is, those quotes are atrocious. He’s either not coming back or you can expect an entirely new team next year. Either way, very grimy to make those comments about…the kids you recruited in?

Yeah lets pass blame on Anderson when you brought in most of this roster. They’re underachieving and he’s trying to save face.
This was a patchwork last minute team. Guys he was recruiting at Iona aren’t BE level. Didn’t have enough time to get his players. He’s going to recruit over everyone on this roster. He’s making that known. Better than a guy making excuses about travel schedule.

This was a patchwork last minute team. Guys he was recruiting at Iona aren’t BE level. Didn’t have enough time to get his players. He’s going to recruit over everyone on this roster. He’s making that known. Better than a guy making excuses about travel schedule.
Only thing is, the narrative was quite different in the pre-season

Really? A last minute team. The entire world knew he was going to be at St John's for 6 months. The media and he touted how he had assembled a great roster in the NIL Era. This is a mature roster built to win now. Ledlum, Jenkins, Dingle, Soriano are all veteran players with a lot of college game experience. The team's second half performances are pathetic. Jenkins and Dingle barely got a shot off in the last 10 minutes of the game.

I don't think he will put together a great roster. He is throwing his players under the bus every game. Players he recruited after running off his entire roster. He wants tough players that play defense, yet he chased Wusu. He also threw alot of crap at the guys he ran off.

Completely classless. He cannot lose enough.

Really? A last minute team. The entire world knew he was going to be at St John's for 6 months. The media and he touted how he had assembled a great roster in the NIL Era. The team's second half performances are pathetic. Jenkins and Dingle barely got a shot off in the last 10 minutes of the game.

I don't think he will put together a great roster. He is throwing his players under the bus every game. Players he recruited after running off his entire roster. He wants tough players that play defense, yet he chased Wusu. He also threw alot of crap at the guys he ran off.

Completely classless. He cannot lose enough.
Look I like Wasu’s defensive energy but I cringe whenever the ball is in his hands on offense. He is a very flawed player. Pitino will get his players and be a thorn in our side.

Reactions: TomD82
Look I like Wasu’s defensive energy but I cringe whenever the ball is in his hands on offense. He is a very flawed player. Pitino will get his players and be a thorn in our side.
Keep cringing. We will just keep winning. I think Pitino is doing massive damage to his reputation and ability to win at St John's. This is not 20 years ago. Kids have many more options than when Pitino was at UK or Louisville. And he is throwing players under the bus and saying it was a mistake to recruit his current roster.

If you don't like Wusu's offensuve play, tell me how you liked the play of all the St John's players in the second half? We had a 28 - 0 run first game and apologists said would not happen with Pitino there. They were correct I guess, because our run today was 24 - 8 or something much better than. 28-0.

What an unbelievable game. You know that it is a special time to be a fan when they come back down 19 on the road in the second half an all but end St. John's season, and you're not even sure if it's in the top 5 of your favorite moments during this conference schedule. (waxing Uconn, Marquette at home, beating Providence on the road, ethering St. John's at home, last week's Xavier blowout).

Hopefully KenPom saw this game; not sure if his mother's house gets FS1 or not. In any event, I guess it's time to adjust the algorithm again...

Keep cringing. We will just keep winning. I think Pitino is doing massive damage to his reputation and ability to win at St John's. This is not 20 years ago. Kids have many more options than when Pitino was at UK or Louisville. And he is throwing players under the bus and saying it was a mistake to recruit his current roster.

If you don't like Wusu's offensuve play, tell me how you liked the play of all the St John's players in the second half? We had a 28 - 0 run first game and apologists said would not happen with Pitino there. They were correct I guess, because our run today was 24 - 8 or something much better than. 28-0.
This wasn’t about our team. This was about Pitino. He has a team he threw together. It didn’t work. Don’t believe me? Here’s his quote: Pitino: “It’s not the job. You could be at Missouri and recruit slow players. Believe me, it’s not St. John’s. We had to put together a team at the last second. We will never, ever, do that again.” #sjubb

I think it was a 20-4 run starting in the second half. I remember St. John's had only scored 4 points with less than 8 minutes left in the second half. I think we had scored 20 at that point.

Only allowing 4 points in the opening 12 minutes of the 2nd half, great defensive effort and coaching.

This wasn’t about our team. This was about Pitino. He has a team he threw together. It didn’t work. Don’t believe me? Here’s his quote: Pitino: “It’s not the job. You could be at Missouri and recruit slow players. Believe me, it’s not St. John’s. We had to put together a team at the last second. We will never, ever, do that again.” #sjubb
I can read his quote. It is all bluster.

Jenkins he took with him from Iona. HE WANTED HIM.

Dingle is a grad student.

Ledlum is a grad student.

Alleyne played for the national champ last year.

Wilcher he flipped from UNC. He is plenty quick and can shoot. He did not see the floor.

Soriano is the one player he kept and he is destroying him in the media and every time he comes out of the game.

The other center is from Kansas.

Pitino always had 1 or 2 shooters and that is all they do. He has the VMI kid and the freshman from California.

This team is built to win now. Pitino is blaming the players and his staff for poor recruiting. He is now spinning it for his reputation and to keep the 2.5 million dollar NIL fund.

Last edited:

Notice how his quotes absolve himself or his staff of any in-season blame. What if its true that the roster isn’t a great fit - and he did a poor job coaching this year? I think the right answer gives merit to both.

The reaction to his quotes are “he recruited the team!” (including me) but this comes across as a distraction to limit scrutiny on his actual coaching job. And its working.

Notice how his quotes absolve himself or his staff of any in-season blame. What if its true that the roster isn’t a great fit - and he did a poor job coaching this year? I think the right answer gives merit to both.

The reaction to his quotes are “he recruited the team!” (including me) but this comes across as a distraction to limit scrutiny on his actual coaching job. And its working.
He actually is not absolving his staff.

Last edited:
He’s not wrong. He’s not making excuses. He’s giving legitimate reasons. He’ll get his players and they’ll be a team to be reckoned with.
Geez, I thought he got his players. What’s he going to do, throw this bunch out and start over again?

Geez, I thought he got his players. What’s he going to do, throw this bunch out and start over again?
Sounds like it. Would calipari not “force” guys out by recruiting over them? He’s basically giving the team a heads up to hit the portal. He’ll let the ones he wants to staff know quietly.

Sounds like it. Would calipari not “force” guys out by recruiting over them? He’s basically giving the team a heads up to hit the portal. He’ll let the ones he wants to staff know quietly.
In todays world of free transfers and nil the old rules on "forcing" kids out are out the window i think.

He actually is not absolving his staff.

He's saying that they recruited the wrong players because they supposedly had little time to fill out the roster. I don't see anything about his team losing 8/10 and the coaching staff taking responsibility for that if even saying the cliche "we need to put our guys in better positions to succeed". Where did he take the blame for the current skid?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT