ADVERTISEMENT

Giants - Disaster Part 2

Also says the Giants comeback has more meaning.
Not really sure what is says. They need to win this week. And even if they do win, they're staring at 2-4 with the Dolphins and Bills next up. 3 remaining games with Eagles and Cowboys. That's potentially 7 losses right there. They basically need to be perfect verse the patriots, rams, saints, and packers. I don't see this as a playoff team at all. I think in a month people are going to wish they never came back for a better position in the draft.

Just saw that the Jets have lost 14 straight to the Patriots. Surprised the line isn't even more tilted towards the Pats.

The Patriot franchise record is 15 straight wins over Buffalo from 2003-2011.

15 and counting for the Pats over the Jets!

The Jets and Giants should look at what Green Bay has done. They have the youngest team in the league at just over 24 year’s average and they look like they have their third straight generational QB since 1993! Accident? Luck?

They also have a ton of injuries right now including Aaron Jones, Christian Watson and David Bahktari.

15 and counting for the Pats over the Jets!
The QB looks helpless. But you can't do what the Jets are doing with him as they have no confidence in Wilson.

Play as conservative as possible and then try to throw on 3rd and 8 is not going to do anything but court disaster. Is the goal to win 6-7 games, because that's a best case scenario restricting Wilson?

Open it up and if that doesn't work than get rid of Wilson and look to try and trade for a starting QB.

Reactions: TomD82
Not really sure what is says. They need to win this week. And even if they do win, they're staring at 2-4 with the Dolphins and Bills next up. 3 remaining games with Eagles and Cowboys. That's potentially 7 losses right there. They basically need to be perfect verse the patriots, rams, saints, and packers. I don't see this as a playoff team at all. I think in a month people are going to wish they never came back for a better position in the draft.
We knew the schedule was going to be more challenging this year. Last year we had a few surprise wins, like the Ravens and Packers in London. Will need a bit of that. It happens every week in the league, like the Cards, Colts and Texans this week. Miami’s offense looks incredible but the proverbial “ax” always looming over their head is that Tua is one hit or bad fall away from being out, or even from having his career derailed. The offense under McDaniels has been great with Tua but that’s a real concern each week for them. And with the Bills, you never know if you are going to get one of those Allen games (like the Jets) where he is incredibly careless with the ball.

At this point I’m just looking for better play with the o-line and defense as a whole. And for SB to get back.

The Jets and Giants should look at what Green Bay has done. They have the youngest team in the league at just over 24 year’s average and they look like they have their third straight generational QB since 1993! Accident? Luck?

They also have a ton of injuries right now including Aaron Jones, Christian Watson and David Bahktari.
And I was very surprised that Kansas City has the youngest defensive team in the league. Giants are not old but there is a lot to your post for sure.

We knew the schedule was going to be more challenging this year. Last year we had a few surprise wins, like the Ravens and Packers in London. Will need a bit of that. It happens every week in the league, like the Cards, Colts and Texans this week. Miami’s offense looks incredible but the proverbial “ax” always looming over their head is that Tua is one hit or bad fall away from being out, or even from having his career derailed. The offense under McDaniels has been great with Tua but that’s a real concern each week for them. And with the Bills, you never know if you are going to get one of those Allen games (like the Jets) where he is incredibly careless with the ball.

At this point I’m just looking for better play with the o-line and defense as a whole. And for SB to get back.
The lines have a long way to go to match their opponents. Yes you're hoping for a few wins where the opponents beat themselves like a Josh Allen 3 INT game. But you also gotta win every one of the must wins and have no let downs themselves. And if you're talking proverbial ax over the head with Tua, you must acknowledge even when the Giants get SB back, they have the same thing looming with him.

Until the Giants can block it doesn't matter against teams like this. The only difference between the game against the Cowboys and 49ers is the Giants got the ball out quicker knowing they were dead. The OL loss rate was about the same, they simply avoided the sacks. They couldn't function. If you look at the film they had a good number of plays that Jones never had the time to get to.

And the 49ers recognized what they were doing and pressed it up front. That's how you complete 10 passes in the slot for 45 yards.

Reactions: Section112
The lines have a long way to go to match their opponents. Yes you're hoping for a few wins where the opponents beat themselves like a Josh Allen 3 INT game. But you also gotta win every one of the must wins and have no let downs themselves. And if you're talking proverbial ax over the head with Tua, you must acknowledge even when the Giants get SB back, they have the same thing looming with him.
Yes SB has a history too. But Giants played last year without him some. It hurts, but losing a top level QB is enormous because the backup isn’t even in the same universe (least from what I’ve seen). Giants miss SB because he makes the line look good at times, but if the line play can improve at all it wouldn’t be as devastating.

I don’t see is beating Miami but Buffalo is not out of the question. Dallas is a Jeckyl and Hyde team as demonstrated in AZ. We got Jeckyl for the opener. Hopefully we get Hyde in Dallas.

You can’t be successful offensively without an offensive line that can pass block and open holes for your running backs. Just for the hell of it I took a look at some of the 2024 early mock drafts and to my surprise the fact that a number of them going for a WR instead of a O-Lineman for the Giants was not what I expected. You can have a really good WR but if you can’t give your QB time to get him the ball you can’t be successful as we’re seeing with both NY teams.

Reactions: PirateFan94
I don’t see is beating Miami but Buffalo is not out of the question. Dallas is a Jeckyl and Hyde team as demonstrated in AZ. We got Jeckyl for the opener. Hopefully we get Hyde in Dallas.
So basically the hope for the season is the giants continuously get teams on their bad week. Not so much the giants rise up and just beat these teams. I know the season is young, but I think the gap betweeen the giants and the elite teams has widened a considerable amount from only 9 months ago. Either the giants got worse the elite teams vastly improved while the giants remained the same.

The Jets seem to be going all-in with Wilson. Saleh’s pressers are talking about a QB they feel will breakthrough. Plus it’s been weeks since Rodgers went down and they’ve done nothing. Either they’ll look smart or maybe be unemployed.

On the Giants, all offseason the discussion was about the upgrade in schedule. Big difference playing the likes of Miami, Buffalo, and San Francisco compared to the AFC South or some other bad teams they played last year. They got 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFL already and were out scored 70-12 and couldn’t function an offense. And neither Philadelphia or Dallas lost anything. Can they get one of those games? Are they good enough to beat the teams that should be on their level or even slightly above to still be in the hunt? Teams like the Seahawks, Jets, Commanders x 2, Saints, Packers, Patriots, Raiders, Rams later in the year?

Jets should explore a trade for Matthew Stafford. He's a free agent after this year. After the beating he took last night, he just might consider it.

Jets should explore a trade for Matthew Stafford. He's a free agent after this year. After the beating he took last night, he just might consider it.
They've already given up a lot of their future picks. Not sure that would be wise especially with a potential need to replace an aging Rodgers and a not working out Wilson. But it seems they have sold out for this year. Gotta be a nightmare for them with Aaron getting hurt on the 4th play with all they've given up - ouch.

They've already given up a lot of their future picks. Not sure that would be wise especially with a potential need to replace an aging Rodgers and a not working out Wilson. But it seems they have sold out for this year. Gotta be a nightmare for them with Aaron getting hurt on the 4th play with all they've given up - ouch.
Based on some of the picks they made, giving up picks might be a good thing. I don't think they're going to get mid to upper tier QB in a trade. So I think they would be better served looking to make a deal with a team like the cowboys for either of their backups and in return maybe send them someone who is an upgrade to their loss of Diggs.

Colin Kaepernick appeals to Jets in letter for ‘risk-free’ practice squad chance​

By Christian Arnold

Colin Kaepernick, who has not played in an NFL game since 2017, has appealed directly to Jets general manager Joe Douglas to sign him to the team’s practice squad.

In a letter shared on social media by musician J. Cole, Kaepernick reached out to Douglas last week, explaining why he hoped the organization would give him a chance with the practice squad.

Kaepernick, 35, explained that he would help give the defense an added advantage in preparing for the Week 4, 5 and 6 matchups, while also give the Jets a chance to evaluate him without pressuring Zach Wilson.

“I would be honored and extremely grateful for the opportunity to come in and lead the practice squad,” Kaepernick wrote. “I would do this with the sole mission of getting your defense ready each week. If I were able to fill this role, I believe this allows for multiple things.”

It is no secret that the Jets have struggled with Wilson as the No. 1 quarterback since Aaron Rodgers went down with a season-ending Achilles injury just four plays into Week 1.

The Jets have lost two of three games and Wilson has looked far from comfortable trying to lead the team.

During a loss Sunday to the Patriots, Wilson led one good drive late in the game, but otherwise failed to get much going.

That led to criticism from several directions, including from former Jets QB and Hall-of-Famer Joe Namath.

In his letter, Kaepernick said he would “only look to boost” Wilson’s confidence in any interaction that he had with the 2021 first-round pick.

He also wrote that in a perfect world, Wilson would find the confidence and rhythm to lead the Jets to a Super Bowl, adding that bringing him into the fold would give them a “risk-free contingency plan.”

“Worst case scenario, you see what I have to offer and you’re not that impressed,” he wrote. “Best case scenario, you realize you have a real weapon at your disposal in the event you ever need to use it. In either of these scenarios, I would be committed to getting your defense ready week in and week out, all season long, and I would wear that responsibility like a badge of honor.”

Kaepernick hasn’t suited up in an NFL game since Jan. 1, 2017 with the San Francisco 49ers, but told Sports Illustrated earlier this year that he was still training five to six days a week in hopes of catching on with a team.

The Jets signed quarterback Trevor Siemian to their practice squad on Tuesday..

If the Jets were to consider Kaepernick’s offer, the decision would likely be weighed with what he could add on the field along with the headlines he could generate away from it.

Kaepernick has been outspoken about racial injustice and police brutality in the United States and made headlines for kneeling in protest during the national anthem when he was with the 49ers.

No team has signed him since the 2016 season and he alleged that NFL owners were colluding to keep him out of the league. He filed a grievance against the NFL in 2017 and settled in 2019.

During the course of his career, Kaepernick completed 59.8 percent of his passes with 72 touchdowns and 30 interceptions, while adding 2,300 yards on the ground.

They picked Darnold third in 2018 and Wilson second in 2021.

Perhaps this spring the Jets can draft first overall and ruin Caleb Williams' career.
You think the Jets will pick Caleb Williams with the first overall pick LOL Heck the young man might even make more at USC.

Reactions: PirateFan94
They picked Darnold third in 2018 and Wilson second in 2021.

Perhaps this spring the Jets can draft first overall and ruin Caleb Williams' career.
Getting close to the Cleveland Browns long tenure of not having a good QB for years. They clearly win but the Jets are in the competition.

So basically the hope for the season is the giants continuously get teams on their bad week. Not so much the giants rise up and just beat these teams. I know the season is young, but I think the gap betweeen the giants and the elite teams has widened a considerable amount from only 9 months ago. Either the giants got worse the elite teams vastly improved while the giants remained the same.
I don’t believe the gap between the Giants and Dallas is as bad as it looked. Giants played their D game while Dallas played their A. SF, Giants were very short handed. If both teams are healthy we likely still lose but it’s much closer.

Are they trying to corner the market on the oldest QB’s still playing?

When you have the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft and the results were Darnold and Wilson, that's been an absolute disaster.
That’s one of thre reasons teams draft the best player on the board and not reach for a player of need especially at the QB position. Both Wilson and Darnold had questions about their ability to become a quality QB and be picked that high in the draft.

Last edited:
I don’t believe the gap between the Giants and Dallas is as bad as it looked. Giants played their D game while Dallas played their A. SF, Giants were very short handed. If both teams are healthy we likely still lose but it’s much closer.
Not sure I agree. Just look in a few key places. O Line - Dallas heads above ours. D line - Dallas way better than ours especially the outside rushers. Corners and linebackers - Dallas again. Giants DTackles are better but without a pass rush coming from the edge its hard to tell sometimes. At safety we are equal. Giants are fine in the offensive skill position area but we don't have a C Dee Lamb. Edge at TE for the Giants and at RB but Barkley can't stay on the field and we don't have any quality depth at RB based on what we've seen thus far compared to Dallas. At QB Dak is better but as Jones gets a little more protection he has the ability to catch up to Dak who is a talented but middling QB IMO. Finally think about who has the best players on the field. Giants don't have a Micah Parsons or C Dee Lamb and nothing even close. I believe Dex might be our best player after Barkely but Saquon can't stay on the field. I think the Giants have improved talent wise but until they get the O line and D line playing better its not gonna matter.

Good sign for the Giants future is that both rookie corners have held up well. Moving Adore inside is still an experiment that has not looked good so far, but it's allowing our rookies to develop and putting our best three on the field. He's a vet so hoping it will click for him. I think Shoen's plan is to develop these two corners as the foundation for the future. Adoree probably will not be resigned unless they can work out a good deal for the team in the long run.

Reactions: Piratz
The Giants have played poorly to start the year, even with the tough schedule. Guys like Thibodeaux and McKinney need to step up urgently. Get healthy on the OL and reset. Hopefully the 11 days off allowed for some self-scouting too.

Monday night’s game is a must win versus Seattle at home. Then they go to at Miami, at Buffalo. Woof. This brutal schedule softens a bit there after with Washington, the Jets, and at Raiders. Ideally need to find a way to 5-4. Maybe 4-5. Anything worse it’s over.

Three games in 12 days and two against Dallas and the 49ers is a tough way to start. Nevertheless it’s been an ugly start. Sloppy play and missed tackles and dropped passes haven’t helped. Players have to step up and make plays. A variation of what Yogi used to say, it’s getting late early.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
NYG is 3rd in the league in missed tackles. They're 2nd in blitz% and 4th in QB knockdown % but only 29th in pressure % and only have 2 sacks in 3 games, the second-worst number in the league. Not getting home to make a drive-changing sack and missing tackles is a great way to be bad. Fundamentals.

QBKD -- QB knockdowns (QB hit the ground after the throw)
QBKD% -- Knockdowns per pass attempt
Prss -- QB pressures (hurries + knockdowns + all sack plays (half and full for players, just full sacks for teams)
Prss% -- QB pressures (hurries + knockdowns + all sack plays (half and full for players, just full sacks for teams)) per dropback

The unanswered question concerning the Giants defense is whether a significant part of the problem are the defensive schemes they’re running or the lack of talent or both.

Disaster part 3. Jones did himself and his team no favors, but this was ridiculous. The missed tackles, receivers wide open on 3rd and longand the horrible offensive line. Then you have the penalties and the special teams that are just so stupid and were laughing on the sidelines after being not only chippy but borderline dirty. Dabol better make some changes now and not tolerate this any longer.

On the pick six, he has three receivers in the area and he throws to the one with double coverage? The outside receiver is open and it’s a safer pass. And Waller is wide open and the safer pass. You look for your TE- big target there. He was clearly hit way too many times but that pass was the game.

O line couldn’t block four guys rushing let alone when they sent five? They made the Seahawks look like the 49ers somehow? I get that two starters were out but the drop off in talent is massive. And Neal looks worse than last year and Glowinski is not a NFL player. This team may not get four wins and we still won’t get the top pick. Some good QBs coming out this year.

And for the Giants, this is now consecutive games opposing players have chirped about Jones being scared and staring down 1sr reads. Yikes. Brutal.

So, the Jones Pick Six is on him. very poor play with the game still on the line. The fumble is his fault to a lesser degree. pressure from everywhere. I think Jones is getting way too much blame. A backup NFL line should still have a skillset to maintain some semblance of play. Plus, they are all not backups including Neal. Jones was running way too much from the get go.

The coach may have inferred that Jones is not as fired up as he should be., He should take a look in the mirror., Complete BS to have your return guy fair catch on the two yard line on the opening kickoff. How about sone confidence? Then his punt return guy muffs the ball In a big way. Last season our season was put in peril by getting Adore Jackson hurt as a punt returner.,So the brain surgeon puts him in again last night as a Punt Returner???? Team is undisciplined across the board. Defense is OK most of the time, but not great. As I said after a prior game which player on the Giant defense do teams really fear??

If they don’t beat either Miami(the better chance) or Buffalo on the road the season could be over. Most important they have to figure out some blocking schemes to offset this intolerable pass protection. That’s the most important.

That was as inept a performance by an offensive line as I've ever seen, yet the Seahawk's OL was playing with backups and players playing out of position and seemed to handle it pretty well.

Reactions: TomD82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT