ADVERTISEMENT

Giants - Disaster Part 2

hallgrad80

All Universe
Oct 27, 2001
Here I thought it couldn’t get worse for the Giants after last week’s debacle against the Cowboys. Well I was wrong because the way the Giants are playing today they are playing worse . There isn’t one unit that they have put on the field that is playing winning football and it is an organizationAl failure.

Yes, it was going to be a season destroying loss. All the offensive weapons contributed in the second half. Hopefully, Sequon injury isn’t that bad. DJ with protection delivers a good ball. Hyatt is a huge weapon with his speed.

I’d say things feel better today but the unknowns are Barkley injury and the point we did that against the team that was believed to be the worst in the NFL.

Also, what going on with TT? No real production nor tackles. I think they need to keep moving him around. Hopefully, they can go toe to toe on offense against SF.

Tremendous comeback in a must-have game. I’m not sure what the heck was going on with that team in the first half other than a continuation of the mind meld they were in.

These games are so week to week in this league.

Here I thought it couldn’t get worse for the Giants after last week’s debacle against the Cowboys. Well I was wrong because the way the Giants are playing today they are playing worse . There isn’t one unit that they have put on the field that is playing winning football and it is an organizationAl failure.
1st Half personified:

With what the coaching staff has done overall so far it is easy to forget that this is a team and organization rebuilding. With that said the coach cannot let the players get away with the first six quarters of the year performance this season. And I have never been impressed with Wink Martindale and he had better come up with better coaching schemes. I have no idea what that 2-5-4 defense is.

I'll take the win, but it shows so much that the team is so far away from the Dallas and Phillys of the league.

With what the coaching staff has done overall so far it is easy to forget that this is a team and organization rebuilding. With that said the coach cannot let the players get away with the first six quarters of the year performance this season. And I have never been impressed with Wink Martindale and he had better come up with better coaching schemes. I have no idea what that 2-5-4 defense is.

I'll take the win, but it shows so much that the team is so far away from the Dallas and Phillys of the league.
The O-Line still remains a major problem and the failure of Neal to adequately fill his role at right tackle is a large part of the problem remember he was the 7th overall pick in the draft and you can’t miss with those high first round picks..

Reactions: Section112
With the Dallas game they got punched and never got up - sad response. Then they carried that into the next game - terrible. Finally they woke up in the second half. Let's hope they keep that level of intensity win or lose for the rest of the year.

Last year, I saw a team that still needed talent but that played hard and was well coached. I saw glimpses of that in the second half. Can they put 4 quarters together?

Talk about no respect.

0-2 Patriots have opened as 2.5-point road favorites against the Jets in Week 3.

The O-Line still remains a major problem and the failure of Neal to adequately fill his role at right tackle is a large part of the problem remember he was the 7th overall pick in the draft and you can’t miss with those high first round picks..

I agree about the O line but you have to give Neal more time to develop. Unfortunately, he's still a major upgrade from Peart so he has to play. Some guys just take longer to get used to the speed of the pro game. He has all the tools necessary to succeed. Just needs more experience. It doesn't help that Glowinski & a rookie played along side him in their 2 games so far this year & Glowinski all of last year.

The Giants have a coach who isn’t afraid to make changes and make it all about performance. He pulled the trigger on Glowinski last week. Whatever he did at half-time and with the play calling there was a huge difference in how they approached the second half. Changes were made in personnel groupings – using Bellinger more to block with Waller on the field – and unlocking the deep speed which changed how Arizona played them. Then momentum – so critical in the NFL – turned and confidence/assertiveness grew.

I wonder if there’s a future where Ezudu is a RT and Neal a G. We’ll see. But this coach won’t be afraid to have the tough talks, that’s for sure.

The Giants have a coach who isn’t afraid to make changes and make it all about performance. He pulled the trigger on Glowinski last week. Whatever he did at half-time and with the play calling there was a huge difference in how they approached the second half. Changes were made in personnel groupings – using Bellinger more to block with Waller on the field – and unlocking the deep speed which changed how Arizona played them. Then momentum – so critical in the NFL – turned and confidence/assertiveness grew.

I wonder if there’s a future where Ezudu is a RT and Neal a G. We’ll see. But this coach won’t be afraid to have the tough talks, that’s for sure.
I could see Neal moving over to play one of the guard positions but what remains troubling to me is why someone who looks overmatched as Neal does is drafted as high as Neal was .

Reactions: Burnsly and Piratz
I could see Neal moving over to play one of the guard positions but what remains troubling to me is why someone who looks overmatched as Neal does is drafted as high as Neal was .
It’s all over the league. OL play and the transition from college to pro is exceedingly more different to project in this era.

It’s all over the league. OL play and the transition from college to pro is exceedingly more different to project in this era.
I just wonder how much the reduced practice schedule and reduced pre-season Camp have contributed to the slow development of players at certain positions , like the O-Line, QB , DB and maybe a few others .

I just wonder how much the reduced practice schedule and reduced pre-season Camp have contributed to the slow development of players at certain positions , like the O-Line, QB , DB and maybe a few others .
I think hugely. Plus getting guys into football shape. They do next to nothing and then have to go 0 to 60 week 1. Makes no sense.

What's most troubling to me is how the Giants (along with 11 other teams) could have passed on Parson's & he wound up with the Cowboys. These teams spend enough on scouting that a guy with his talent should never slip thru the cracks like that.

The college game is a different style of football than the NFL game, just as college basketball can be vastly different than the NBA. The college game is much more wide open and play across the field can reflect that.

I have read a number of stories about pro scouts having difficulty projecting the ability of players -- especially on the lines -- because of the differences in what players are and will be asked to do.

Reactions: Piratz
Talk about no respect.

0-2 Patriots have opened as 2.5-point road favorites against the Jets in Week 3.
That's all about the books getting the money to fall where they want it. I think if the line was anything less than this, the money would come rolling in on NEP.

The Pats have shown fairly well in two close losses. The Jets with Wilson at QB look to be limited on offense. Frankly I'd be surprised if either team breaks 20 points.

Definitely seeing the rust and inexperience play out in the first two weeks.

Neal is concerning as he graded out (PFF) the lowest among our starting O lineman last week. Peart graded a touch lower but he came in mid game as a sub. Neal needs time to develop and playing next to Glowinski was unfortunate. He has so much to worry about and Glowinski has been awful and that adds to his struggles. I believe Neal will be a good get but it may take him a full season to really improve. Hoping he stays healthy so we can take some steps forward and this O line develops. Daniel Jones has his hands full and they will need their TEs to pitch in to give him some time and help the running game.

Schmitz and McKethan graded out the highest (not great compared to the rest of the league but the best for the Giants line on Sunday). Maybe they have something there with those two. McKethan was a stud at NC and last year the coaches thought he was a late round steal until he got hurt. Ezeudu graded out well too right behind McKethan. Hoping Thomas can come back this week against the 49ers and we can sit Glowinski. Definite work in progress and going against the 49ers D will be a tall task. Hoping they keep taking those shots down the field. They can't just run the ball and throw those two-yard passes (West coast offense) or behind the line passes like they did in the first half. They become too easy to defend and the lack of confidence in the O line has a lot to do with that type of play calling. Interesting that Daboll may have taken over the play calling in the second half although he won't admit it. Sure did look like he was making the calls.

What's most troubling to me is how the Giants (along with 11 other teams) could have passed on Parson's & he wound up with the Cowboys. These teams spend enough on scouting that a guy with his talent should never slip thru the cracks like that.
I wanted Parson's badly. There was talk of him being a head case and he dropped to #12. LT was a head case but he was also the best defender ever in the NFL. Parsons is making a case for that now too.

I watched that draft and wanted the Giants to move up and take either Davonta Smith or Micah Parsons. Huge missed opportunity by the Giants IMO even though they would have had to give up a lot. We took Toney in the 1st round at #20. 2nd round we took Ojulari and third round we took Aaron Robinson. Yikes!

Talk about no respect.

That's all about the books getting the money to fall where they want it. I think if the line was anything less than this, the money would come rolling in on NEP.

The Pats have shown fairly well in two close losses. The Jets with Wilson at QB look to be limited on offense. Frankly I'd be surprised if either team breaks 20 points.
Just saw that the Jets have lost 14 straight to the Patriots. Surprised the line isn't even more tilted towards the Pats.

The Patriot franchise record is 15 straight wins over Buffalo from 2003-2011.

I agree about the O line but you have to give Neal more time to develop. Unfortunately, he's still a major upgrade from Peart so he has to play. Some guys just take longer to get used to the speed of the pro game. He has all the tools necessary to succeed. Just needs more experience. It doesn't help that Glowinski & a rookie played along side him in their 2 games so far this year & Glowinski all of last year.
He played much better this week next to McKethen. Glowinski was a disaster and thus was benched until the injury to Bredeson.

Definitely seeing the rust and inexperience play out in the first two weeks.

Neal is concerning as he graded out (PFF) the lowest among our starting O lineman last week. Peart graded a touch lower but he came in mid game as a sub. Neal needs time to develop and playing next to Glowinski was unfortunate. He has so much to worry about and Glowinski has been awful and that adds to his struggles. I believe Neal will be a good get but it may take him a full season to really improve. Hoping he stays healthy so we can take some steps forward and this O line develops. Daniel Jones has his hands full and they will need their TEs to pitch in to give him some time and help the running game.

Schmitz and McKethan graded out the highest (not great compared to the rest of the league but the best for the Giants line on Sunday). Maybe they have something there with those two. McKethan was a stud at NC and last year the coaches thought he was a late round steal until he got hurt. Ezeudu graded out well too right behind McKethan. Hoping Thomas can come back this week against the 49ers and we can sit Glowinski. Definite work in progress and going against the 49ers D will be a tall task. Hoping they keep taking those shots down the field. They can't just run the ball and throw those two-yard passes (West coast offense) or behind the line passes like they did in the first half. They become too easy to defend and the lack of confidence in the O line has a lot to do with that type of play calling. Interesting that Daboll may have taken over the play calling in the second half although he won't admit it. Sure did look like he was making the calls.
I ignore the PFF grades. Many of the experts do as well as they rarely make any sense. Using the eye test Neal was a bit better. He wasn’t great but definitely was progress. Week one he was constantly attempting to provide inside help to Glowinski who was constantly beat by his man and late getting back to pick up the speed rusher. They as a tandem were awful in picking up stunts. They just weren’t able to work well together which B prompted the lineup change. This week he seemed to just have to pick up the outsides rusher. Yes there were a few he got beat on but was far less than the week before.

I wanted Parson's badly. There was talk of him being a head case and he dropped to #12. LT was a head case but he was also the best defender ever in the NFL. Parsons is making a case for that now too.

I watched that draft and wanted the Giants to move up and take either Davonta Smith or Micah Parsons. Huge missed opportunity by the Giants IMO even though they would have had to give up a lot. We took Toney in the 1st round at #20. 2nd round we took Ojulari and third round we took Aaron Robinson. Yikes!
One last parting gift from Gettleman, do not let the image rehabilitation stuff fool you, that draft class is an abomination.

But to be fair to Gettleman he did draft Jones who has turned into a productI’ve QB for the Giants.

But to be fair to Gettleman he did draft Jones who has turned into a productI’ve QB for the Giants.
Gettleman was a nightmare. But he did hit on Jones, Thomas, and Lawrence. Granted they were all 1st Rounders, but with DG that wasn’t a given either <Baker and Toney waving>.

Oh and he could’ve taken Micah Parsons instead of trading back for the first time in his career in 2021. 🙄

Last edited:
So, at times they played a respectable game, but for the most part they are playing soft physically and mentally. Both lines are struggling. Last night the secondary although in the right places must of the time were inept in coverage and especially tackling. Not sure if Wink had the right setups on the screen passes? Most important there is not one player on the defensive side that opposing teams will fear at this point. TT is off to a rough second year start. Too early to tell what Banks will be but not overly imposing physically. DJ was not great but not sure how he gets too much blame either. Lastly, why not throw sone short passes to Hyatt and see what he can do. Seattle game is another must. Coaching has to pick it up also. That offensive game plan even without Sequon and Thomas was kind of vanilla.

If you can’t block ‘em the skill positions mean nothing. The 49ers knew it. The Giants knew it. The gameplan was as good as you could hope for when you trot out people like they are trotting out on the OL. Get Thomas and Bredesen back and beat the teams on the next tier.

Right now they cannot compete with the likes of Dallas, San Francisco, and Philadelphia on the lines. Those 3 are on a higher level and possibly the best 3 teams in football. They get defensive pressure relentlessly with their front-4 and each of DPOY candidates on their line. But the Giants should be able to compete with everyone else on the schedule.

The defense man, I mean, you have to get off the field. You can’t be giving up 3rd and longs all game it’s torturous. I think Wink did the right think with the heavy blitzing, it kept the game a one-score affair into the 4Q without anything from the offense really.

Hyatt struggles to get off press coverage. There were shots to get the ball to him but the line sucks so bad.

Last edited:
There are two areas that the Giant front office has to address in order to add the talent it needs to be a top tier team. First it has to have the cap space to add talent in the free agent market and to add draft capital.

There are two areas that the Giant front office has to address in order to add the talent it needs to be a top tier team. First it has to have the cap space to add talent in the free agent market and to add draft capital.
Last year they took their lumps and went through most of the cap hell Gettleman left them in. This year they'll polish that off as they have some massive contracts that they smartly didn't extend: Kenny Golladay's $14M dead money hit, Sterling Shephard $4.2M and Kadarius Toney at $3.5M both dead money as well, then Leonard Williams ($32M), and Adoree Jackson ($19M).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT