ADVERTISEMENT

Giants/Jets Disaster

TomD82

All American
Nov 17, 2008
I figured I would start a new post on this. Bad conditions, but worst game I have ever seen and Bart Scott said it was the worst game he had ever seen at any level. Giants are basically a clown show the only thing missing was QB sneaks with Saquon. Jets defense is legit, Giants defense is not terrible, but was going up against Zach Wilson and the Jets 3rd string OL. You can see why the Giants do not stack up against Eagles and Dallas.

Giants could get 10 sacks and 3 turnovers and still lose a game.

I don’t know what you can possibly say about the Giants anymore. They blew a game they really shouldn’t have been in.

The Jets will hang around record-wise for now but they’re not a team that will best out the others for a postseason berth.

Tough year. But if my Hall gave me 1/20 of the success my Giants have given in the course of my sports fandom, I would take it.

Reactions: Piratz
I understand what the coach was trying to do, but you just can’t take it to that level. They could not muster any offense while Taylor was in the game too.. Understanding the line has several backups, but there are more ways to skin a cat than they are showing. If Gano was injured you have to go for it otherwise not a difficult decision. On the other hand the coach shows no confidence unless it’s the Jones, Barkley, Waller plan. Why not try some end arounds to Robinson and Hyatt? Step back passes? Throw a deep ball to Hyatt and let him outrun the coverage? You have to keep the other team honest to some degree. Also, special teams blocking? Plus although the D played well,,57 yards on 2 plays at crunch time? Geez.

Ugliest game of all time. Jets did everything to give it to the Giants - 5 personal fouls! Offsides on a punt to give a 1st down. Gave up a TD on a basic QB sneak and 130+ yards to Saquan against a team that wouldn't even try a pass play.

They were bailed out by Gano missing 2 easy FGs and some amazing punts by Morestead that pinned them inside the 5 yard line several times.

The Giants had -9 Yards passing on 6 completions!

Both teams went a combined 4 for 34 on 3rd down and punted 24 times.

Last edited:
The fact that the Jets should have lost this game given how bad the Giants offense was tells you how painfully bad Zach Wilson played. The likely big gain to Breece Hall that Wilson bounced at his feet pretty much summed up his day. Then of course on a similar pass he hits Breece in his hands only for Breece to drop it. Everything went wrong until the miracle at the end. A win is a win but it doesn’t feel good.

Reactions: Fishjam and TomD82
Seems like a good deal IMO. Getting a second rounder and another pick for half a season of Williams.
This sounds like a great deal until you realize who is making the pick. Can someone make the pick for the Giants? I'll even take someone from this board's kid making the pick for them. I don't see how giving Giants management another pick helps anything. You can almost guarantee they screw it up 6 months before the draft.

Adding draft capital especially when it’s a pick in a premium round like the second round is always a plus. It only remains a plus if the player you select with the draft pick you acquired produces a quality player who starts and plays well. Right now there is not a lot of confidence in our GM and why it’s important to hit a home run with our 2024 .draft

At no point in this game did I have the feeling that the Jets would win.

As a Jets fan I'm glad they did, but it is the worst played game offensively that I have ever seen for both teams.

The injuries were mind boggling. The Giants being down to QB #3 is bad, but the Jets being down to Center #4 resulted in a fumble and poor snaps as well as poor protection.

Does either team recover for remainder of season?

Tom K

Reactions: TomD82

As a Jets fan I'm glad they did, but it is the worst played game offensively that I have ever seen for both teams.

The injuries were mind boggling. The Giants being down to QB #3 is bad, but the Jets being down to Center #4 resulted in a fumble and poor snaps as well as poor protection.

Does either team recover for remainder of season?

Tom K
I would argue the replacement to the replacement center had his head on a swivel when he spotted the ball himself, causing the official to only have to touch the ball, thus allowing Zach to get the snap off with a mere second to go. Put him in the Ring Of Honor tomorrow!

This sounds like a great deal until you realize who is making the pick. Can someone make the pick for the Giants? I'll even take someone from this board's kid making the pick for them. I don't see how giving Giants management another pick helps anything. You can almost guarantee they screw it up 6 months before the draft.
Give our new GM some time IMO. Neal hasn’t been what we thought, but Thibs and Banks look the part. Who knows about some of the other young guys.

Aside from Dabol's decision to go for the near game ending FG, probably his biggest error was to take the ball first in OT when both teams were having such great difficulty moving the ball upfield.

TK
I rarely get into play calling and strategy, but if you are going to take the ball first you have to at least let the QB be aggressive on third down. He throws a pick, so be it. The Jets are going to get good field position anyway unless your punter kills it. I know the second half was about trying to win without DeVito making a killer mistake, fair enough in most cases because SB ran decently and the D was stifling them. But in OT on third down by default I think they should have been more aggressive.

Gano makes 5 million dollars a year, 35 yarders should not be missed. thats ALL they do is KICK.... if he was so injured the team would know and find a backup for the time being, GANO lost it

Aside from Dabol's decision to go for the near game ending FG, probably his biggest error was to take the ball first in OT when both teams were having such great difficulty moving the ball upfield.

TK
Yes, this was a definite error on Dabol's part.

Gano makes 5 million dollars a year, 35 yarders should not be missed. thats ALL they do is KICK.... if he was so injured the team would know and find a backup for the time being, GANO lost it
He's also been a really good kicker for the Gmen, too.

Reactions: SnakeTom

NFL Power Rankings for Week 9: AFC North teams aiming for history​

By Ryan Dunleavy

14. Jets 4-3 (16)​

Even the Jets were left wondering how they beat the Giants, 13-10 in overtime, when they had a 0.01 percent chance to win with about one minute left in regulation. The Jets’ made three offensive plays — a first-half 50-yard touchdown catch by Breece Hall and back-to-back 29-yard receptions to set up the tying field goal. Greg Zuerlein made his two pressurized field goals.

29. Giants 2-6 (27)​

Graham Gano missed a 35-yard field goal that could’ve iced a victory, and a dominant defense that thought it had sealed a win couldn’t relocate the gas in a stunning overtime loss to the Jets. Saquon Barkley somehow rushed for 128 yards playing in a one-dimensional offense that managed minus-9 net passing yards. Defensive lineman Leonard Williams was subsequently traded.

Look at the bright side - the Giants are 250-1 odds to win the Super Bowl, ahead of da Bears, Colts & Pats (300-1), Panthers 750-1, and the Cardinals (1000-1). Donations now being accepted at all Sports Books.

TK
This all day. You go defense first considering the offense cannot play with pressure with it operating like that. Plus field position likely better.

With the way the Giants were playing offense you had to maintain a lead. I was surprised he didn’t go for the win. Even a FG keeps the Jets alive although remote chance. But look a sequence if about 5 mistakes occurred. It was the only chance for the Jets.

1. The Giants should’ve been running the play clock to :01 every play during the half. If the idea was to ice the game.

2. On the Giants’ final drive in regulation, Barkley goes down forcing the Jets to burn a TO instead of getting the 1sr Down which would’ve iced it.

3. The 4th Down fiasco.

4. Thibodeaux offsides (debatable on replay).

5. Wilson throwing a dart on the run across his body after being flushed by Lawrence with the Giants DE losing outside contain.

You can point to Jackson in OT not turning and picking the ball but I had zero confidence Giants could drive the ball anyway.

It's obvious he has no confidence in the O line. Can't really blame him. No way the Giants were getting that first down on 4th & 1.

TK
Saleh was asked this question on the Michael Kay show and Saleh said maybe if it was a 15 minute OT but no way do you defer in a 10 minute OT when possessions are at a premium.

As a fellow Jet fan, my faith definitely wavered. But you know who thought the Jets would win? Zach Wilson. He came out after playing horribly for literally 59 minutes, zipped in two 29 yard passes and got the team lined up for the spike with one second left. Aaron Rodgers would be hard pressed to improve on that. A short memory is the mark of a great quarterback.

But you know who thought the Jets would win? Zach Wilson. He came out after playing horribly for literally 59 minutes, zipped in two 29 yard passes and got the team lined up for the spike with one second left. Aaron Rodgers would be hard pressed to improve on that.
Or he can try to do the oh so difficult task of playing better than Wilson the first 59 minutes and win a blowout vs such a terrible team who played almost as bad as they can play.

Saleh was asked this question on the Michael Kay show and Saleh said maybe if it was a 15 minute OT but no way do you defer in a 10 minute OT when possessions are at a premium.
Usually I would agree. But these were not usual circumstances.

Reactions: Pirates13
I'm sure the Giants were thinking get to 4-5 and go from there. As of right now the last NFC wild card is 4-4 (either Minnesota or the NFC South runner-up).

At 4-5, they probably would have needed five wins the rest of the way. Could they have done that with a remaining schedule of @Dallas, @Washington, New England, Bye, Green Bay, @New Orleans, @Philadelphia, L.A. Rams, Philadelphia?

Those eight teams are a combined 26-28 with Dallas and Philadelphia accounting for 12 of those wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT