ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna get 12 wins in conf

mga pirate

All Big East
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2002
Season going to come down to beating Nova at home. Sucks that this team will definitely get 12 conf wins but ridiculous metrics going to keep them out of tourney if they don't get to 13.

Season going to come down to beating Nova at home. Sucks that this team will definitely get 12 conf wins but ridiculous metrics going to keep them out of tourney if they don't get to 13.

It all depends what other teams do as well. If A&M loses tonight they're about cooked and Virginia may take a really bad loss to Boston College.

We need to beat Nova and Depaul and win at least one and possibly 2 in the BE Tourney. Anything less we don't belong in the big dance.

I have to admit this team did much better than I expected and I am happy at where we are now given the results before the BE season started. I say count our blessing no matter what happens from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: halltheway
We need to beat Nova and Depaul and win at least one and possibly 2 in the BE Tourney. Anything less we don't belong in the big dance.

I have to admit this team did much better than I expected and I am happy at where are now given the results before the BE season started. I say count our blessing no matter what happens from here on out.
Agree with the second paragraph. Beat Nova and Depaul -- and hopefully don't lose by 20 to UConn -- and that should be enough. 4/5 with Providence/Nova is going to be no picnic, either, but I would give us the edge; both are 3-7 on the road.

I have to admit this team did much better than I expected and I am happy at where are now given the results before the BE season started. I say count our blessing no matter what happens from here on out.
I think your first part is all we need. 2 wins at home gets you 13-7 in conf. Conf tourny games are not held in high regard, unless a team makes Finals. If a 13-7 BE record doesnt get you in the tourny, than just shut it down and move to the A-10. Like, whats the point?? Our absolute ceiling in any one year would be what, 15-5? 13-7 has to be a shoe-in

Not sure I agree. I mean you’re talking about 14 or 15 wins in the conference that might have a 1, 2 and 4 seeds? That’s 14-8 or even 15-8.

19-12, 12-8 feels like Dayton. Our non conference stinks, our NET would be weak, and no big road win.

Agree with the second paragraph. Beat Nova and Depaul -- and hopefully don't lose by 20 to UConn -- and that should be enough. 4/5 with Providence/Nova is going to be no picnic, either, but I would give us the edge; both are 3-7 on the road.
Neutral site games are quite different than road games. Plus, either of those teams will have significant fan support at MSG.

I'm anxious about getting dismantled [again] at UCONN, and Villanova winning at PC Sat. We could be pretty beaten down for Wednesday's game.

I think it feels like Dayton only with a BET win, which would be 20-13. An opening loss at the BET means 19-13 (12-8) and that sounds like out to me.
I don't necessarily agree. First and foremost they must beat Villanova. Pounding them would be even better. Should they get to 13-7 in conference play I think they are in. It would then be advisable to win that Thursday game. That won't be easy and I don't like the law,of averages if it is SJU. In any event I believe a win in that game whether its Providence or SJU might get them out of Dayton. Honestly , they better man up and give UConn some type of a game. Losing by 25 points is unacceptable.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Need Nova to beat Providence this weekend. And we follow that up with a win over nova.

Big East is too strong for them to not put 4 teams in. Need to separate from Providence here as they finish the season with UConn which will get them to 12 losses in this scenario.

Need Nova to beat Providence this weekend. And we follow that up with a win over nova.

Big East is too strong for them to not put 4 teams in. Need to separate from Providence here as they finish the season with UConn which will get them to 12 losses in this scenario
So you have us beating Nova twice in a week (would be the 4/5 matchup), after not beating them in years? Yea, ok. No thanks. We root for PC on Sat and have a better shot at MSG vs them. If Nova loses to PC and us, theyre done anyway

Reactions: SHUS1516
So you have us beating Nova twice in a week (would be the 4/5 matchup), after not beating them in years? Yea, ok. No thanks. We root for PC on Sat and have a better shot at MSG vs them. If Nova loses to PC and us, theyre done anyway
Your logic doesn’t add up.

Nova will not get into the tournament with 13 losses. That’s a guarantee. Providence has been sitting above us in all of the bracketology and they have a higher net. Of providence loses to Nova and UConn they’ll likely finish 20-12. We finish 20-11. If we both finish with 11 losses Providence likely holds the edge over us with the better metrics

Regular season results are more important than conference tournament results (outside of winning it)

Your logic doesn’t add up.

Nova will not get into the tournament with 13 losses. That’s a guarantee. Providence has been sitting above us in all of the bracketology and they have a higher net. Of providence loses to Nova and UConn they’ll likely finish 20-12. We finish 20-11. If we both finish with 11 losses Providence likely holds the edge over us with the better metrics

Regular season results are more important than conference tournament results (outside of winning it)
My logic makes total sense. We’re not beating nova twice in 8 days. Besides, in your scenario, if we are 20-11, that would mean we are 13-7 in BE. Thats a bid. Period. I would not care who we play in 4/5 game. Youre getting too caught up in only 4 BE teams getting in. That wont be the case

Reactions: SHUS1516 and Flnj86
If we finish 13-7 in BE play were in, and normally 12-8 should be in as well
Historically, 19 wins and 11 wins in the Big East gets you in the dance. I saw an article which said there were only two times this hasn't happened post-reconstruction, although maybe I misread that. That bodes well for certain teams with good metrics, but doesn't for Seton Hall because of the abysmal OOC, which is why we specifically need to do more down the stretch than other BE bubble teams.

Big East is too strong for them to not put 4 teams in. Need to separate from Providence here as they finish the season with UConn which will get them to 12 losses in this scenario.
I think minimum 5 BE teams get in. Maybe 6. We stay at the top of the middle 6 and it looks good i think.

Reactions: LBP43
I think minimum 5 BE teams get in. Maybe 6. We stay at the top of the middle 6 and it looks good i think.
I think we all have to take off the Big East color glasses this year. There are teams in the top 25 that are on the bubble. Teams 4,5,6 from the big east are far off the top 25

I think we all have to take off the Big East color glasses this year. There are teams in the top 25 that are on the bubble. Teams 4,5,6 from the big east are far off the top 25
The Top 25 is sort of a joke. I wouldn’t put any stock in that. I mean Arizona State received 14 votes. The bubble is also relatively weak and while we lost, so did everyone else (except St. John’s). Wachtel even said we could lose all but DePaul the rest of the way and still find our way to Dayton. I think we’re in a good spot.

I don't necessarily agree. First and foremost they must beat Villanova. Pounding them would be even better. Should they get to 13-7 in conference play I think they are in. It would then be advisable to win that Thursday game. That won't be easy and I don't like the law,of averages if it is SJU. In any event I believe a win in that game whether its Providence or SJU might get them out of Dayton. Honestly , they better man up and give UConn some type of a game. Losing by 25 points is unacceptable.
If we have to play St John's, it will not be neutral site game. The red storm will be the home team.

It is quite possible the BE only gets 5 teams in this year because of DePaul and G-town being so bad that those wins on any teams record is meaningless. Getting 6 teams in is a stretch.
possibly only gets 5?? What world are you living in. There are 3 locks from the big east. A 4th team making it is questionable.

Reactions: Gohall129
The Top 25 is sort of a joke. I wouldn’t put any stock in that. I mean Arizona State received 14 votes. The bubble is also relatively weak and while we lost, so did everyone else (except St. John’s). Wachtel even said we could lose all but DePaul the rest of the way and still find our way to Dayton. I think we’re in a good spot.
That’s a one off example. This week had 5 mid majors ranked in the top 25

You have a team like USF this year who is ranked 25 with two top 25 wins and a 21-5 record. If they win out they finish 24-5. But if they don’t win the AAC tournament they likely won’t be in because they are a bubble team. Assuming the big east gets 5 without a lot of help in conference tourney season is a major stretch

I think it’s 5. Providence plays Villanova tomorrow and then Seton Hall gets them Wednesday. Will determine a lot.

St. John’s can’t improve themselves anymore until the BET. They have Georgetown and DePaul. And even then you’re talking a major run just to get to Dayton. Unless entire Bubble collapses, lol.

IMO, it will be very difficult to keep the 4th place team in the 2nd highest rated conference out of the NCAAT at 12-8. That is the worst we finish. St John’s can’t catch us. Only PC and Nova can and one will be out of that possibility tomorrow. Then after that PC still has UCONN and Nova still has Creighton.

From a number of internet hoops sites they show the BE ranked between 3 and 4 among all major conferences. Not sure where you cherry picked the 2nd ranked but I think that is an outlier. Yes we have 3 really good teams but they are offset by 2 really horrible teams and some not all that good like Butler, StJohns and Xavier.

Just look at those 5 teams records against AP ranked teams a combined 3 wins and 31 losses. That is horrible!

From a number of internet hoops sites they show the BE ranked between 3 and 4 among all major conferences. Not sure where you cherry picked the 2nd ranked but I think that is an outlier. Yes we have 3 really good teams but they are offset by 2 really horrible teams and some not all that good like Butler, StJohns and Xavier.

Just look at those 5 teams records against AP ranked teams a combined 3 wins and 31 losses. That is horrible!
“Cherry picked” lol

OK KENPOM then say KENPOM has the BE as number 2. Does anyone else have the the BE at 2? I could not find anyone.

OK KENPOM then say KENPOM has the BE as number 2. Does anyone else have the the BE at 2? I could not find anyone.
Ok, how many reputable sites are you looking at? Maybe you’re cherry picking?

I was looking at 2 sites. They don't rely solely on Ken Pom and look at other metrics. Do you see sites that say something different?NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings & Ratings 2024

About The RPI Ratings​

The RPI ratings were created by the NCAA, and used to be considered by the NCAA tournament selection committee during the selection and seeding process. They have been replaced by the NET Rating, which does not have an easily reproducible formula. We publish the RPI ratings here not because we think they are good ratings, but because in the past they have been useful when trying to predict the decisions of the selection committee. In addition, the team sheets used by the selection committee reportedly still display a Strength Of Schedule ranking that's derived from the old RPI.

RankConferenceRatingTop TeamLast
1Big 120.574Houston (26-3)1
2SEC0.569Tennessee (23-6)2
3Big Ten0.566Purdue (26-3)3
4Mountain West0.561San Diego St (22-7)4
5ACC0.555N Carolina (23-6)5
6Big East0.552Connecticut (26-3)6

Warren Nolan:

NET - Conference Rankings​

Records include games against Division I opponents only.

Conference Leader is the team in the conference with the highest NET ranking.

KEY:

NC Rec: Non-Conference Record
NC WP: Non-Conference Win Percent

ConferenceRankNC RecNC WPConference LeaderNET

Big 12
1145-340.8101
Houston

Big Ten
2117-370.7597
Purdue

SEC
3134-480.7363