ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Yalden commits to Seton Hall

I'm a fan. Very gifted offensive big. Can shoot, post up, and pass the ball. Not sure how much defense he plays but it always help to get skilled players on board plus we desperately need a big and as of now, I'm not sure he doesn't start for us as a freshman because we don't have any other true C as of yet. Good developmental player

Word leaked late last week that the Hall was in very good shape with him. At the time I was told I did not know until reading here what the connection was.

He was a teammate in AAU ball with Payday Moore.

Let's hope they play together the following year and Moore reclassifies as most expect.

I'm a fan. Very gifted offensive big. Can shoot, post up, and pass the ball. Not sure how much defense he plays but it always help to get skilled players on board plus we desperately need a big and as of now, I'm not sure he doesn't start for us as a freshman because we don't have any other true C as of yet. Good developmental player
Well said seannie.

Reactions: PF58
Awesome, we are going to be young and fun! Lots of guys with chips on the shoulders out to prove something. We have to expect growing pains, but Sha has a blank canvas to work his magic. At least for a year we get to be optimistic. Who knows maybe an unknown benefactor likes what he sees this year or maybe we get a group of kids who see the forest through the trees and buy into winning a championship together. Sorry optimistic by nature.

Agreed.
Different type of developmental player for Seton Hall. We usually get good athletes that need to develop skills and understanding of the game. Gus appears to have good skills and knows how to play. Now, he gets to improve those skills and his physical development. Mamu fits this mold.

Love to wake up to good news in the morning! It's all aboard the GusBus! Thank you, Gus, for choosing to wear the blue and white for this upcoming season! Looking forward to what your skills and hard work will bring to this team. And a big thanks to Sha and the coaching staff for their tireless efforts in revamping the squad for 2024. Well done! Gus, looks like we're Hall In!

Reactions: garyshu71
If he’s here long term it’s a very nice get. Unfortunately you can’t ignore what the current system is.
But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If he’s that good, it means he had a good season and SHU either needs to up the ante or he goes.

Or the second option is he isn’t good and transfers down and gets recruited over by Seton Hall.

Obviously if it’s the first one it means that not only is Sha excelling as a coach, but he’s also able to find and harness talent out there that’s not being maximized.

Word leaked late last week that the Hall was in very good shape with him. At the time I was told I did not know until reading here what the connection was.

He was a teammate in AAU ball with Payday Moore.

Let's hope they play together the following year and Moore reclassifies as most expect.
The Gus bus and Payday Moore, talk about marketability.

But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If he’s that good, it means he had a good season and SHU either needs to up the ante or he goes.

Or the second option is he isn’t good and transfers down and gets recruited over by Seton Hall.

Obviously if it’s the first one it means that not only is Sha excelling as a coach, but he’s also able to find and harness talent out there that’s not being maximized.
Making players better for someone to take and them win with isn’t the goal. The old system you develop a whitehead, Carrington, Mamu, Rhoden and then you win with them. Now it’s now you develop a player, you don’t necessarily win with the players you develop in this system. No doubt Sha will develop players, but will he win with guys who are early in their development. Means nothing if you overachieve every year going 8-12 in the big east then schools like SJU and Ole Miss grab the players you just spent 8 months and in some cases 20 months developing. We went through a lot of growing pains with juniors and seniors the last 2 years. Growing pains with 2nd year players are going to be there. Question is will we continuously be the place where you go through your growing pains before the big pay day.

Reactions: HallGuy23
Making players better for someone to take and them win with isn’t the goal. The old system you develop a whitehead, Carrington, Mamu, Rhoden and then you win with them. Now it’s now you develop a player, you don’t necessarily win with the players you develop in this system. No doubt Sha will develop players, but will he win with guys who are early in their development. Means nothing if you overachieve every year going 8-12 in the big east then schools like SJU and Ole Miss grab the players you just spent 8 months and in some cases 20 months developing. We went through a lot of growing pains with juniors and seniors the last 2 years. Growing pains with 2nd year players are going to be there. Question is will we continuously be the place where you go through your growing pains before the big pay day.
My original point didn’t mention the idea that you’re being way too general. This won’t be the case with every player.

Of course you don’t want your scenario to happen. That’s the worst case you’re alluding to. I don’t think that’ll always be the case.

But I believe SHU is getting competitive with their NIL and if it’s a step below others then we will see what happens.

I’ve been an A’s fan for about 45 years. I’ve been frustrated with losing stars, but Sandy Alderson put in a system that Billy Beane followed even better. Until Lew Wolf sold his share to John Fisher they were always very competitive as a franchise.

Point is, I’m not calling doomsday yet. Right now, we are both bringing up hypotheticals. Let’s see what happens when all the dust settles every year after this year.

My original point didn’t mention the idea that you’re being way too general. This won’t be the case with every player.

Of course you don’t want your scenario to happen. That’s the worst case you’re alluding to. I don’t think that’ll always be the case.

But I believe SHU is getting competitive with their NIL and if it’s a step below others then we will see what happens.

I’ve been an A’s fan for about 45 years. I’ve been frustrated with losing stars, but Sandy Alderson put in a system that Billy Beane followed even better. Until Lew Wolf sold his share to John Fisher they were always very competitive as a franchise.

Point is, I’m not calling doomsday yet. Right now, we are both bringing up hypotheticals. Let’s see what happens when all the dust settles every year after this year.
Yes but my hypothetical is based on what happened this year. 7 of our top 8 players not returning AND there’s still time to transfer out.

Yes but my hypothetical is based on what happened this year. 7 of our top 8 players not returning AND there’s still time to transfer out.
Yes but our replacements for most of those 7 players are better on paper.

There’s only two that may not be able to have true replacements. But that remains to be seen.

Right now, SHU isn't in a terrible situation.

Reactions: halltheway
Yes but our replacements for most of those 7 players are better on paper.

There’s only two that may not be able to have true replacements. But that remains to be seen.

Right now, SHU isn't in a terrible situation.
I hope you’re right, but right now I see 3 players added and one I can say is an upgrade. Who are these guys replacing EHE Sanders, Bediako, Dre, DAW, Dawes, and Richmond that are better on paper?

I don’t know how anyone says a red shirt freshman who didn’t play last year is better than Bediako or EHE. Prince Ali is not better than Dre. Middleton > DAW. So we need to replace Bediako, Sanders, Richmond and Dawes still. Then also replace the guys who never played who left because we need practice depth.

I hope you’re right, but right now I see 3 players added and one I can say is an upgrade. Who are these guys replacing EHE Sanders, Bediako, Dre, DAW, Dawes, and Richmond that are better on paper?

I don’t know how anyone says a red shirt freshman who didn’t play last year is better than Bediako or EHE. Prince Ali is not better than Dre. Middleton > DAW. So we need to replace Bediako, Sanders, Richmond and Dawes still. Then also replace the guys who never played who left because we need practice depth.
Bediako and Dawes aren’t options though. They do not count at all. They aren’t transferring out to another school—SHU isn’t “losing them” in the portal.

Richmond and Dre are the only ones not being accounted for player - for - player.

As for Sanders, EHE and Wusu (plus Nga Nga, Ozdogan and Brown), I’m more than willing to take my chances with the group of Middleton, Prince and Yalden plus the freshmen Felton and Godswill along with Coleman and Tubek.

I thought maybe Sanders could take the leap last year, but he didn’t. Wusu was serviceable but certainly not irreplaceable.

I personally think all 3 of EHE, Sanders and Wusu were recruited over and left. I believe Sha let them know what his intentions are/were.

I do not believe it’s all reactionary to players leaving. I believe it’s only reactionary to Dre and Kadary leaving.

Bediako and Dawes aren’t options though. They do not count at all. They aren’t transferring out to another school—SHU isn’t “losing them” in the portal.

Richmond and Dre are the only ones not being accounted for player - for - player.

As for Sanders, EHE and Wusu (plus Nga Nga, Ozdogan and Brown), I’m more than willing to take my chances with the group of Middleton, Prince and Yalden plus the freshmen Felton and Godswill along with Coleman and Tubek.

I thought maybe Sanders could take the leap last year, but he didn’t. Wusu was serviceable but certainly not replaceable.

I personally think all 3 of EHE, Sanders and Wusu were recruited over and left. I believe Sha let them know what his intentions are/were.

I do not believe it’s all reactionary to players leaving. I believe it’s only reactionary to Dre and Kadary leaving.
We need to replace Bediako and Dawes and expecting either freshman to replace them is just silly. We have to replace them in the portal no matter what reason they are not here next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT