ADVERTISEMENT

Heterodox Boeheim

That's basically been his program since the move to the ACC. They have not been the perennial top team during the regular season like they used to be for such a long time. Yet then make NCAA Tournament runs.

Over the past 7 seasons Syracuse has made 5/6 NCAA Tournaments and gotten to a Final Four (2016) and 2 Sweet Sixteens (2018, 2021), yet they've never finished better than 10-8 in any ACC regular season and are just 65-63 during that stretch with a KP average of 46 (Seton Hall's is 42 over same span - no relevance but love to be better than freaking Boeheim). IDK how often they've even been ranked.

Last edited:
Because he has honed it over decades. You just don’t switch to a zone one random day or season. It takes time.
It doesn't take years to get right. It may take a some time, but let's be real, coaches have to spend time on defense. Players don't come into college defensive studs. You have to spend time teaching some form of defense. Why not the zone? The only reasons I can think of are you have to recruit long bodies for it and I think the bigger issue is the zone is not played in the NBA so guys with pro dreams don't want play it.

Jimmy B’s success in the tournament has been helped because teams who don’t play Cuse twice a year in Conference play have difficulty adjusting to his Zone defense .
That's definitely a part. You know what else is a part -- the guy has been an all-time coach forever. He's past his best days, but even in recent years they've had multiple Sweet 16 runs. Cuse isn't what it was and Jimmy B isn't what he was, and he was always one of the coaches in the real Big East that I tended to root against the most for various reasons, including his whiny personality. But I don't get why people here sometimes mock where Cuse presently is as a program, or suggest we surpassed them recently, because the guy has still made multiple runs in the dance recently.

It doesn't take years to get right. It may take a some time, but let's be real, coaches have to spend time on defense. Players don't come into college defensive studs. You have to spend time teaching some form of defense. Why not the zone? The only reasons I can think of are you have to recruit long bodies for it and I think the bigger issue is the zone is not played in the NBA so guys with pro dreams don't want play it.
He has always recruited to it. Every position. He's not a slave to it recruiting-wise, but you often see it with the length of the wings or guards (especially wings), true shot blocker in the middle, and he doesn't care much at all about having guards that can lock you down on defense individually (offensive/shooting skill and length more important).

I'm sure it is a deterrent to some recruits, but Boeheim has gotten plenty of studs over the years and produced plenty of pros. So it can't be that big of a deterrent.

John Cheney was the ultimate master. He did it with less talented players than Boeheim.
I have tremendous respect for what John Chaney accomplished at a school with fewer resources than we have -- especially relative to the competition. But he is the antithesis of Boeheim in this regard.

Chaney won big in the regular season and then watched his team wash out in the tourney. He and I have coached in the same number of Final Fours. Boeheim, at least in his old age, has made a living ambushing good teams with that zone in the tournament.

Because he has honed it over decades. You just don’t switch to a zone one random day or season. It takes time.
This. He believes in it, recruits to it, has been doing it for decades. Most coaches just do not believe in the zone - especially now with player movement - so they don't spend this kind of time on it other than a switch defense.

I have tremendous respect for what John Chaney accomplished at a school with fewer resources than we have -- especially relative to the competition. But he is the antithesis of Boeheim in this regard.

Chaney won big in the regular season and then watched his team wash out in the tourney. He and I have coached in the same number of Final Fours. Boeheim, at least in his old age, has made a living ambushing good teams with that zone in the tournament.
Ummm yeah—it’s just a bit easier to win sweet 16 and elite 8 games when you have NBA talent on your roster making shots. Chaney’s teams were always in it down to the wire, but they couldn’t convert on the offensive end

That was not a reflection of the coach. Sometimes players need to make shots.

And as often as Boeheim has gone deep in the tournament, he’s had teams come up woefully short with loads and loads of talent. That WAS coaching.

Kinda like comparing Phil Jackson and Larry Brown with what they had on their roster. There was a reason Jackson turned down teams like the Clippers before taking the Kobe Bryant & Shaq Laker team.

Meanwhile Brown took the Sixers to the championship but lost. And then he won with Detroit. He was a tactician. Jackson had Tex Winter do it for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT