ADVERTISEMENT

How Providence College Became a Top 25 NIL Program

MooneyHall07

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2023

Interesting tidbits of information here. Would love to know how they were able to secure deals with such big companies. I know that they are the only game in town up there but we have an extraordinary amount of companies with presence in the greater Newark area. I hope that McBride and co. are able to tap into some of that..

Only game in town is a gigantic advantage for them on this front. Yes, many of the folks who live up there root for the Boston teams. But Providence gets huge local attention and support. That dyanimic can’t be replicated down here with college sports because of the pro support influence alone, forget about the Rutgers factor (or Nova factor for a decent chunk of the state).

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
They were early adopters. It also helped that years ago they invested in a really beautiful basketball facility. They didn't have that baggage weighing them down like we did.

They have been aggressive from the start developing NIL opportunities for the team and players, and are extremely organized. They are kicking our butts and have been for some time. Hoping we can catch up. Seton Hall needs to realize they are in competition for the NIL dollar and for marketing and exposure. I'm not sure our leadership has ever embraced that.

The only game in town argument is not true in my opinion. There are huge Boston fans there across sports. Their marketing has been excellent for years and as a result they have a great following. The school rebranded itself years ago to compete with Boston College and other top schools and it worked. What you are seeeing are year's of good management and marketing in action.

Blakes Tavern is a fun place by the way.

They were early adopters. It also helped that years ago they invested in a really beautiful basketball facility. They didn't have that baggage weighing them down like we did.

They have been aggressive from the start developing NIL opportunities for the team and players, and are extremely organized. They are kicking our butts and have been for some time. Hoping we can catch up. Seton Hall needs to realize they are in competition for the NIL dollar and for marketing and exposure. I'm not sure our leadership has ever embraced that.

The only game in town argument is not true in my opinion. There are huge Boston fans there across sports. Their marketing has been excellent for years and as a result they have a great following. The school rebranded itself years ago to compete with Boston College and other top schools and it worked. What you are seeeing are year's of good management and marketing in action.

My old law firm had a substantial presence in Providence. Did business up there for years. It seemed like the entire office and business community had Providence men's basketball season tickets, and it was the "main attraction". Yes, they are all Boston fans. But Boston is an hour-and-a-half away. It's completely different than here. Providence basketball dominates in Providence as big as a Boston professional sports following they have. For many, the Friars are the "home team", even if they are diehard Sox, Bruins, Pats, and Celtics fans. The Cooley documentary did justice to this. It's a far different landscape than we have in this region. There is no Rutgers. And the professional sports influence takes a backseat in many respects to Friars basketball.

And yes I agree their management and marketing does a great job on this front as well. The President before the current one (the guy at St. John's now) gets tons of credit for how they boosted their athletic department endeavors, especially basketball. And once he left it seems the torch has been sufficiently passed.

I think our recent history is similar. Not better, but not really worse either. If you judge it from the year Willard first broke through, we've basically been in the dance the same number of times, only they have a Sweet 16 run. We obviously missed that opportunity in 19-20.

100%. Look at everything Providence has done and learn.

When you can't match others' resources, you have to be decisive, efficient and take some chances. Unfortunately, that is not how we operate.

Our issues with NIL now, can be traced back to decisions made years ago. We are years behind all our peers on building a decent facility. Not only have we had terrible facilities but we waited so long, the price tag has grown substantially and it's importance in recruiting has waned. And of course, since we needed to raise money for it, we neglected NIL for the first 2 years hiding behind non-existent NJ laws.

Nothing we can do now except learn from our mistakes and try to be smarter and more agile in our decision-making process. Be innovative and don't be afraid to spend money to make money. Invest in people who are capable of bringing in revenue, capable of cultivating donors and making fans feel included/invested in Seton Hall. Make SH basketball games fun for students and young alumni.

"They were early adopters. It also helped that years ago they invested in a really beautiful basketball facility. They didn't have that baggage weighing them down like we did."

Remind me: what was our baggage?

Hats off to them. And although a smaller core/cohort, isn't hockey as big as b-ball there?

Since this is the Seton Hall bulletin board, where do we stand among the approximate 80 (?) power six schools NIL-wise?

"They were early adopters. It also helped that years ago they invested in a really beautiful basketball facility. They didn't have that baggage weighing them down like we did."

Remind me: what was our baggage?

Hats off to them. And although a smaller core/cohort, isn't hockey as big as b-ball there?

Since this is the Seton Hall bulletin board, where do we stand among the approximate 80 (?) power six schools NIL-wise?
Our baggage was we needed our big donors to pay for the new Practice Facility instead of NIL. We didn’t have enough $ for both because of the cost of the facility. Other schools (who had great facilities already) focused their donors on NIL and got out in front of us.

This. Plain and simple.

Our baggage was we needed our big donors to pay for the new Practice Facility instead of NIL. We didn’t have enough $ for both because of the cost of the facility. Other schools (who had great facilities already) focused their donors on NIL and got out in front of us.
Thanks for succinctly describing the situation.. This is it in a nutshell. Everything else is just nonsense. Yes we’re behind but this is the reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT