ADVERTISEMENT

I am shocked by this

Not a surprise to me. ESPN has been losing viewers over the past few years and COVID-19 is the straw that broke the camels back.

The main parts of Disney actually making them money were their parks and Marvel movies. It's obvious what happened with the parks, and this was the first time no Marvel movie was released in something like 15 years so Disney probably held out as long as they could in the hopes that their parks could open up. The draconian efforts by the governor in Cali & LA mayor were really what killed them.

Reactions: Halldan1 and shu09
another company gets the bail out excuse if covid to lay a bunch of its staff off. i feel for the workers, not for espn.

maybe we can make a premature documentary "espn is dead!"
Capital budget seeking big profile of nfl, the intended goal is to be back in super bowl rotation on abc. They have interest in pursuing nhl rights, i am not sure why. Also they need content to put on espn+. In the platform industry all of this costs big money. Ironic enough it appears they will basically be out of postseason baseball going forward.
They had a great model in the linear cable enviroment. 100m subscribers x carriage fee per subscriber in cable model x 12 months...7.2B just to be on.

If disney told the shuttle family hey could can come for free but you need to sign a disclaimer that the property is not held responsible for the safety and welfare of you and your family based on the chance that others inside the property that you will encounter on rides, mutually touched surfaces etc, would you go?

I don't know about SHUttle, but I certainly would be fine with that. No need for the disclaimer, I'm responsible for my family's health, not a low wage worker operating a ride. I'd never put that responsibility on them, they work hard enough as it is for little reward.

I don't know about SHUttle, but I certainly would be fine with that. No need for the disclaimer, I'm responsible for my family's health, not a low wage worker operating a ride. I'd never put that responsibility on them, they work hard enough as it is for little reward.
What does the wage of the worker operating the ride have to do with anything? My point is that you have no control over the other people populating the park

What does the wage of the worker operating the ride have to do with anything? My point is that you have no control over the other people populating the park

You're putting the onus on them to be responsible for everyone's health. That is absurd.

I would hope there are other people in the park. Would be a pretty boring atmosphere if there weren't!

ESPN has gotten too political. I haven’t watched except for the occasional Pirate game in years.
Completely bogus claim. They are 100% banned from politics under threat of suspension, fine or firing per Jimmy Pitaro. Perhaps the reason for this inaccurate claim is that the poster acknowledged not watching ESPN in years. I am no grreat fan of ESPN but fairness requires the record be set straight on this non-issue.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
If disney told the shuttle family hey could can come for free but you need to sign a disclaimer that the property is not held responsible for the safety and welfare of you and your family based on the chance that others inside the property that you will encounter on rides, mutually touched surfaces etc, would you go?

Am I comfortable with being offered a free experience that I would independently decide if it made sense or not to be/stay there based on the actual conditions there? Yes, I don't need a government overlord to tell me those kinds of things.

See: Participating in youth sports and some other outdoor activities.
See also: Not going near town parks.

Reactions: shu09
My kids can run around a soccer field bumping into other kids for a game without masks on, but have to wear masks to play on the playground afterwards that is located 20 feet away. Also I have to wear a mask when I coach them. Not my choice - have to. Figure out the logic in that.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
My kids can run around a soccer field bumping into other kids for a game without masks on, but have to wear masks to play on the playground afterwards that is located 20 feet away. Also I have to wear a mask when I coach them. Not my choice - have to. Figure out the logic in that.

Makes absolutely no sense, especially outside. Nothing more than virtue signaling and trying to giving people a false sense of security.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Completely bogus claim. They are 100% banned from politics under threat of suspension, fine or firing per Jimmy Pitaro. Perhaps the reason for this inaccurate claim is that the poster acknowledged not watching ESPN in years. I am no grreat fan of ESPN but fairness requires the record be set straight on this non-issue.

I haven’t watched in years so this may be 100% accurate. I’m still not watching it. I

ESPN first take had an entire segment on Breonna Taylor and it wasnt supposed to be connected to sports in any way. considering that topic was just in the VP debate id call it getting pretty political.

Make no mistake, ESPN is very political.

And not only that, but one-sided. And I'm someone who very often votes for that party locally or nationally. But let's call it what it is. Just like all of these "get out the vote" videos by celebrities and athletes. They don't want you to vote per se. They want you to vote for their candidate. And whoever wears a "D" is going to be their candidate, regardless of that person's credentials or baggage, like whether any may have been accused of doing something that those same celebrities would rail about if candidate had an "R" or "I" in front of their name instead of a "D". It is so f-ing off-putting, and that's coming from someone who leans their way, so I can't imagine what my view would be if I didn't.

Bob Ley was the lone exception and he played it very much down the line because he's a true professional who understood people weren't watching him to get their fill of Meet the Press, but because he offered insightful, different, objective and educated views on various sports topics that were a change from your typical ESPN highlights. It's why he is among the two or three most respected media individuals to ever work there.

And not only that, but one-sided. And I'm someone who very often votes for that party locally or nationally. But let's call it what it is. Just like all of these "get out the vote" videos by celebrities and athletes. They don't want you to vote per se. They want you to vote for their candidate. And whoever wears a "D" is going to be their candidate, regardless of that person's credentials or baggage, like whether any may have been accused of doing something that those same celebrities would rail about if candidate had an "R" or "I" in front of their name instead of a "D". It is so f-ing off-putting, and that's coming from someone who leans their way, so I can't imagine what my view would be if I didn't.

Bob Ley was the lone exception and he played it very much down the line because he's a true professional who understood people weren't watching him to get their fill of Meet the Press, but because he offered insightful, different, objective and educated views on various sports topics that were a change from your typical ESPN highlights. It's why he is among the two or three most respected media individuals to ever work there.

Very well said.

You're aware, doctor, that the virus is largely NOT (if at all), transmitted by surface contact?

Last edited:
yea it took 2 seconds to have video evidence that hallline69's post was in fact "100% wrong"

Perfect example of a dog whistle. Someone simply says ESPN is "too political," an old leftie reads this to mean "too liberal," and flies to the defense of the network, incorrectly. Bobbie Solo likes his comment, so I knew it was misguided from the word go.

Reactions: shu09
Perfect example of a dog whistle. Someone simply says ESPN is "too political," an old leftie reads this to mean "too liberal," and flies to the defense of the network, incorrectly. Bobbie Solo likes his comment, so I knew it was misguided from the word go.

Yup. Anytime BS likes a comment, you can pretty much guarantee it is off base.

funny enough stephen a smith actually sided with the police for that breonna taylor segment. maybe the most level headed thing ive seen from him.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ESPN has been losing cable subscribers continuously since 2011. They have had a few rounds of layoffs since that period and started well before the current politicization in sports.

These layoffs have little to do with politics. Certainly exacerbated by the pandemic but ultimately people's behaviors changed. ESPN and specifically sportscenter used to be a huge part of sports culture. That started to shift because of cord cutting and rise in people looking at their cell phones instead of a TV for sport news and ESPN was late in trying to adapt. Add the fact that they were overpaying for all of their contracts to block other networks like Fox Sports while they were losing customers and of course they are in a spot where they keep needing to keep finding areas to cut costs.

They are still huge and are not going anywhere anytime soon, but they aren't going to be what they were at their peak anytime soon either.

ESPN first take had an entire segment on Breonna Taylor and it wasnt supposed to be connected to sports in any way. considering that topic was just in the VP debate id call it getting pretty political.
OK, fair enough. I amend my "100% bogus claim" to 99.5%.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
ESPN has been losing cable subscribers continuously since 2011. They have had a few rounds of layoffs since that period and started well before the current politicization in sports.

These layoffs have little to do with politics. Certainly exacerbated by the pandemic but ultimately people's behaviors changed. ESPN and specifically sportscenter used to be a huge part of sports culture. That started to shift because of cord cutting and rise in people looking at their cell phones instead of a TV for sport news and ESPN was late in trying to adapt. Add the fact that they were overpaying for all of their contracts to block other networks like Fox Sports while they were losing customers and of course they are in a spot where they keep needing to keep finding areas to cut costs.

They are still huge and are not going anywhere anytime soon, but they aren't going to be what they were at their peak anytime soon either.
SportsCenter started to suck once they got rid of the Did you know segment. I just don't understand why there would be layoffs as @NYShoreGuy consistently shows us that sports ratings are up. Makes no sense.

ESPN does actually have a "no-politics policy." It's outlined in the link below. The key wording in the policy is "unless it intersects with sports." Given the number of NBA and WNBA players who have taken up the Breonna Taylor issue, IMHO that falls under "intersects with sports." Others will clearly disagree.

ESPN wants to avoid its hosts commenting on pure politics (there are plenty of places to go for that) but don't confuse politics with non-sports issues. As long as athletes are taking the lead on social justice issues, ESPN will (and should) cover it. Same with "political" issues that have a direct effect on players and teams.

Think of it this way, if ESPN were around during the 1968 Olympics should they have covered the John Carlos and Tommie Smith black power salute or ignored it? Or in 1972 should they have covered the murders of members of the Israeli delegation at the Munich Olympics or ignored that? Those are both "political" issues.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-s...0190721-kwovmtulc5bezcgpma3eb53u7y-story.html

ESPN does actually have a "no-politics policy." It's outlined in the link below. The key wording in the policy is "unless it intersects with sports." Given the number of NBA and WNBA players who have taken up the Breonna Taylor issue, IMHO that falls under "intersects with sports." Others will clearly disagree.

ESPN wants to avoid its hosts commenting on pure politics (there are plenty of places to go for that) but don't confuse politics with non-sports issues. As long as athletes are taking the lead on social justice issues, ESPN will (and should) cover it. Same with "political" issues that have a direct effect on players and teams.

Think of it this way, if ESPN were around during the 1968 Olympics should they have covered the John Carlos and Tommie Smith black power salute or ignored it? Or in 1972 should they have covered the murders of members of the Israeli delegation at the Munich Olympics or ignored that? Those are both "political" issues.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-s...0190721-kwovmtulc5bezcgpma3eb53u7y-story.html

Fair points. I think they go beyond this at times, certain the individual personalities, which is what causes more folks to "tune them out" than covering objectively a legitimate news story. For example, I think they would have covered the 1968 Carlos/Smith story far more than the 1972 Munich Olympics story, because the former aligns more with the political party that ESPN supports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT