ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand our portal entries

jcpetri

All American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Cream Ridge, NJ
Just read where Jaquan Sanders has entered the portal. EHE is also in the portal. Do these guys actually think they can do better or get more money than SHU can provide? They are both second team entries into the game that were not that much of a factor; especially Sanders. Why would they enter the portal? I would be interested in whether they can do better than the situation they have at SHU. That being said, Dre Davis entering the portal is a different situation. He has sooooo much more to offer other teams,

Could they get more playing time somewhere else? This is EHE’s last chance at the portal and get some cash, maybe someone saw his NiT games and will give him some cash to play a backup role. Sanders will get more time somewhere else in the mid majors and if he shows out will get big money… he was going to get recruited over here, and I think Holloway is getting annoyed with his conditioning

Reactions: mbraue
I would think for both the reason they are transferring is for better playing opportunities, but not financial NIL reasons. Sanders and EHE were likely getting little NIL at SHU, and assuming both will be moving to lower levels.

Guys transfer all the times, while little surprised by EHE as he seemed in line for decent minutes, not surprised at all by Sanders moving on.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I don't see either moving "down" to a mid major. It might not be a power five school, but I'd be shocked if it were a St. Peters.

Reactions: TomD82
Everybody wants to play. Both guys would have opportunities for more minutes next year if they stay, but are they really fits for Sha's system? Neither is athletic and both struggle with defending the way Sha expects.

Jerry says they only have 3 more scholarships remaining. When I heard EHE was entering the portal it made me think the sky was falling but was he the answer at at the 5? With the amount of portal entries 3 isnt that many slots to fill, maybe Sha thinks he can trade up. The core of Kadary, Dylan and Isaiah isnt a bad nucleus of starters to bring back.

Whats the status of Harris? The last I read on this board his injury was pretty bad and he didnt have much of a chance to play last year as well as going forward. Is that accurate? If he needs to find 4 guys the summer is a little more concerning but I think he can pull off 3 solid players.

Just read where Jaquan Sanders has entered the portal. EHE is also in the portal. Do these guys actually think they can do better or get more money than SHU can provide? They are both second team entries into the game that were not that much of a factor; especially Sanders. Why would they enter the portal? I would be interested in whether they can do better than the situation they have at SHU. That being said, Dre Davis entering the portal is a different situation. He has sooooo much more to offer other teams,
Sanders game does not fit Sha’s style, this move is probably best for both parties and should have happen a year or 2 ago.

Everybody wants to play. Both guys would have opportunities for more minutes next year if they stay, but are they really fits for Sha's system? Neither is athletic and both struggle with defending the way Sha expects.
Sha recruited EHE and praised Sanders often, while pointing out his defensive shortcomings. I don't think Sha wanted either to leave. He is friendly with EHE's dad.

This hurts, as these guys both were poised for more PT though not starting roles. EHE certainly would have gotten more minutes.

EHE might have increased his value by staying another year as a potential starter. Head scratcher. Room now for Abas from DePaul

Reactions: Bluebeard
I think some are underestimating the amount of NIL (or whatever you want to call it) these players are getting. Anyone that transferred in to solid d1 programs probably got decent amount. Obviously the better players get significantly more.

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08
Jerry says they only have 3 more scholarships remaining. When I heard EHE was entering the portal it made me think the sky was falling but was he the answer at at the 5? With the amount of portal entries 3 isnt that many slots to fill, maybe Sha thinks he can trade up. The core of Kadary, Dylan and Isaiah isnt a bad nucleus of starters to bring back.

Whats the status of Harris? The last I read on this board his injury was pretty bad and he didnt have much of a chance to play last year as well as going forward. Is that accurate? If he needs to find 4 guys the summer is a little more concerning but I think he can pull off 3 solid players.
Harris will not be playing. His injury has really been problematic. You seem to suggest Kadary being back…it appears there is very little chance of that.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Sanders: lost all confidence playing for Sha. Best for him to move to a lower level. Gain some confidence and finish a nice college career and have some fun

EHE: Brodie pathway. Go to a school like Drake. Play 20-30 min per night as the starting center instead of being the backup and getting 10-15 min per night next year

If Sanders is able to start at a mid-major, he should go. Some bigger program will then overpay his NIL in the following years.

So basically, take a minor paycut now with the hopes of blowing up and getting a much bigger payday

Sha recruited EHE and praised Sanders often, while pointing out his defensive shortcomings. I don't think Sha wanted either to leave. He is friendly with EHE's dad.

This hurts, as these guys both were poised for more PT though not starting roles. EHE certainly would have gotten more minutes.
This does not hurt both guys are easily replaced.

Starting to have doubts on the easily part to be honest. We have a few starting spots available and are probably the only BE team without an incoming transfer?
I agree with the question of how easily but I’m not concerned about not landing a transfer yet. The issue is how many spots do we need to fill. 4-5? Do we have the funds to get 4-5 good big east level players because we’re going to need them. We’ve already know we won’t have 5 of our top 8 players from this past year and it could be more.

Sanders: lost all confidence playing for Sha. Best for him to move to a lower level. Gain some confidence and finish a nice college career and have some fun

EHE: Brodie pathway. Go to a school like Drake. Play 20-30 min per night as the starting center instead of being the backup and getting 10-15 min per night next year
But hadn't EHE just left "a school like Drake"? And he was light years ahead of Brody at the time he moved-on.

Does the fact that Richmond and Dylan have not entered the portal, while the other have, suggest they are staying?

Does the fact that Richmond and Dylan have not entered the portal, while the other have, suggest they are staying?
Maybe suggests that, but certainly does not prove it. They have time, and there are other factors, too, such as how their "NIL" deals are structured. Perhaps they don't receive final payments until after the spring term? Also, I think Kadary will be a graduate, no? If that's so, then he can enter any time he likes, not being bound by the May 1 deadline.

Yup. Better to get the right player than to get a rushed player.

Of course. I just wouldn’t say that schools that have landed quality players are necessarily rushing things, and momentum is part of the game.

We're losing 120+ minutes per game from last year at minimum. We need depth for sure which is not as easy to sell but we have starting spots in the BE available. Maybe everything is still going according to plan, but RU landing Derkack a couple days after he was on campus did concern me yesterday given he will be behind several players on the depth chart there.

Of course. I just wouldn’t say that schools that have landed quality players are necessarily rushing things, and momentum is part of the game.

We're losing 120+ minutes per game from last year at minimum. We need depth for sure which is not as easy to sell but we have starting spots in the BE available. Maybe everything is still going according to plan, but RU landing Derkack a couple days after he was on campus did concern me yesterday given he will be behind several players on the depth chart there.
With the 2 incoming freshmen that RU has, RU is an easy sell to a transfer who wants to play every game next year in front of multiple NBA scouts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT