ADVERTISEMENT

Inbounds/Out of bounds - 2019/20 Pirates

This idea about familiarity vs teams not knowing you is really BS. This is not a just shu thing. You watch advanced scouting tape you see what teams do, dont do, their strengths and weaknesses.
The idea that things would have been better because shu gets away from league teams I don't necessarily agree with.
I do agree that there was a potential along with 11 to 13 other teams to have a special, deep run.
Good mid major coaching staffs would have their team ready vs high major and better seeded teams.
I did feel SHU would have been enough to make it past Albany weekend. MSG was no lock.
I almost feel they kinds needed BET to get some mojo back. They would have had Marquette. You beat the same school 3 times in a season its a feat because very hard to do.
However as stated above, there was nothing good about the last week of the season.
Wait—so let me get this straight:

Familiarity with a team is over rated. But beating a team 3x in one season is very hard to do? Because 3x in one season is essentially about familiarity.

Aren’t they both axioms and built on theories that seem to be overwrought in fandom?

You’re saying two times against a team means nothing, but 3 times—3 times—well that’s a whole different ballgame.

Comical.

Wait—so let me get this straight:

Familiarity with a team is over rated. But beating a team 3x in one season is very hard to do? Because 3x in one season is essentially about familiarity.

Aren’t they both axioms and built on theories that seem to be overwrought in fandom?

You’re saying two times against a team means nothing, but 3 times—3 times—well that’s a whole different ballgame.

Comical.
actually 3 times has more to do with simple odds. again you have just as much data on them than they do on you. this is why professional sports play 7 games series.

actually 3 times has more to do with simple odds. again you have just as much data on them than they do on you. this is why professional sports play 7 games series.
But it’s really not. It’s the old coin flip theory and has nothing to do with 7 games. If you flip a coin twice and get heads, it has zero to do with what happens on the third flip. Each flip is independent of each other. Each one is 50-50

Each game is individual. Professional teams are much more equal in the playoffs. But take the first place team against the last place team during the regular season and you’ll usually see domination

Yours is flawed rationale.

But it’s really not. It’s the old coin flip theory and has nothing to do with 7 games. If you flip a coin twice and get heads, it has zero to do with what happens on the third flip. Each flip is independent of each other. Each one is 50-50

Each game is individual. Professional teams are much more equal in the playoffs. But take the first place team against the last place team during the regular season and you’ll usually see domination

Yours is flawed rationale.
no, but the odds of you flipping heads for all 3 are not 50%. your rational is flawed.

Let me ask you this, of the 4 remaining NBA teams do you think any of the 4 feel well once we get to the finals and get out of our conf the finals will be easier because we are away from teams most familiar with us?
Apples and oranges. Throw out your NBA comparison because it holds no water in this discussion.

My point is that leaving the conference in Seton Hall's case means you are playing teams that have not been on the same court as you. The opponent might have a plan based on scouting, but they have not faced your team on the court. One that has a shot blocker, 7-2, (along with one of the tallest teams in the country) who has few peers in the college game and until you face him no scouting report is going to totally prepare you for what to expect.

The Hall also had a top notch defense led by Gill and Q, They are physical, tough minded and challenge every possession. Again, scouting them is not the same as playing them.

On the other side of the court the Pirates averaged 75PPG led by a first team All American. Stopping him is close to an absolute must for teams to beat the Pirates in tournament play. Easier to do if you have played against Powel.

All teams face these issues once the Dance begins. But certain teams have more answers than others and playing those teams for the first time on the court is an advantage to those teams.

I would fear playing an equally talented Big East foe like Nova or Creighton more that I would a slightly better talented non conference team.

Why? Because of familiarity.

Actually, the odds are 50% heads or tails for each flip. So yes, getting heads for all 3 is 50%.

Actually the odds of flipping All 3 attempts heads is 1 out of 8.

1/2 X 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8 or 12.5%

but If we are going to get into mathematics then maybe we should move this to Life Off the Ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT