ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation 8.5 %

Interesting - Stocks are up today. Inflation had to occur period due to the fact that you cannot have interest rates remain at 0%. Once, the was talking about raising rates, that would naturally have an effect. Moreover, supply chain issues have also turned the heat on inflation as well as the war. But, inflation was inevitable. The question is the next 9 months. Will we see it start to dip?

Shallguy - have you finished genuflecting to the altar of Donald Trump?
As I have said before, "We went from one jackass with a brain to another jackass without a brain" We spent 3 years listening to BS about Russia collusion, Yet Putin waited for the colluding President to leave to do his dirty work. I couldn't stand Trump's personality but after years of being in business I've hired lots of people I didn't like because they were qualified and got the job done. The inflation problem is 60% leadership 40% war & supply chain. I think we are in for a very bad summer regarding inflation before things start to dip before the November elections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirata
Go find some red kool-aid colored glasses and turn on Tucker. It will all become clear.
I would never watch Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow, crazy as it may sound to you I'm a registered Democrat who feels the party is failing the people. I read the Wall Street Journal, AP and Reuters for my news. I draw my own conclusions from the effects policy changes have made in my own life. I listen to what politicians are saying and the decisions they make. The current president told you before he was elected he was going to open the borders and try to move away from fossil fuels. Did you think he was lying to you? Inflation is driven by the price of energy. Yes there are other issues that drive inflation but make no mistake energy is a big one.

Reactions: Pirata
At the sound of Trump's name I envision you and cernjSHU shaking uncontrollably at a keyboard somewhere. For a guy who is unhappy with Biden (Oh wait you didn't say that)
What do open borders and Kamala Harris have to do with inflation? Nothing at all, other than make me disgusted, and contribute to the sick feeling I get everyday.

You're off topic then since the topic is inflation. I voted for trump both times, but yeah, he disgusts me now.

You're off topic then since the topic is inflation. I voted for trump both times, but yeah, he disgusts me now.
So you hated and were disgusted with Trump but voted for him twice? The point I was trying to make was regarding leadership and inflation. Do I blame Biden completely no, but a big reason for inflation is sitting in the White House. Hiring Kamala Harris to the 2nd most important office is an example of bad leadership. Opening borders is an example of bad leadership. Now he wants to spend 5 trillion to get out of inflation. He is telling you we need to pass the Green New Deal to lower inflation. What? The guy has been lying his whole life for a living, and he’s going to lead us out of inflation. I could have done a better job of explaining my thoughts the first time.

You aren't wrong about Joe and Kamala, but kniespolice has said on multiple occasions that he voted for Trump but became disgusted by his actions after he lost the election. It's hard not to feel the same way. I don't know how anyone can defend what Trump did after the election.

You aren't wrong about Joe and Kamala, but kniespolice has said on multiple occasions that he voted for Trump but became disgusted by his actions after he lost the election. It's hard not to feel the same way. I don't know how anyone can defend what Trump did after the election.
The Jan 6th debacle makes sense. Hard to defend Trump, but he does seem to be right way to often.

Thank you. Spot on.

Not just that, but his denial of the results.

And continued denial....the guy never learned how to lose in life, a very basic life lesson, and I am convinced hed rather cause instability in our great country than accept his loss. Anyway, topic was inflation but felt was worth addressing.

And continued denial....the guy never learned how to lose in life, a very basic life lesson, and I am convinced hed rather cause instability in our great country than accept his loss. Anyway, topic was inflation but felt was worth addressing.
LoL

Not just that, but his denial of the results.
Sadly in my opinion and not to get off topic, mail in ballots will continue to raise problems in all future elections. There is a reason civilized countries have banned mail in ballots. Not trying to open this discussion again or cry foul, simply stating that election fraud claims will be around for every election going forward. And yes Trump hates to lose, most guys with money hate to lose. They are use to buying success. Watch Elon Musk buy Twitter and run in 2024. He would win.

Last edited:
The current president told you before he was elected he was going to open the borders and try to move away from fossil fuels. Did you think he was lying to you?

No he didn't say he would open the borders and we are approaching an all time high of US oil production. something I'm not happy about but that is a fact. So I just don't understand the where you're coming up with some of this stuff.

Inflation is driven by the price of energy. Yes there are other issues that drive inflation but make no mistake energy is a big one.

Absolutely. Energy is playing a large part right now but it was not impacting inflation at all until Russia started preparing for war.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Sadly in my opinion and not to get off topic, mail in ballots will continue to raise problems in all future elections. There is a reason civilized countries have banned mail in ballots. Not trying to open this discussion again or cry foul, simply stating that election fraud claims will be around for every election going forward.

Colorado has been doing mail in ballots since 2014. They are fairly civilized and haven't had any issues.

While it's easy to sit back and think that you vote easily so that should be the experience for everyone else... it isn't. It is absolutely absurd that anyone in the US should have to wait hours in order to vote. Mail in voting fixes some of the problems we have currently. Fix the problems and we won't need mail in voting.

People are going to cry foul no matter what the circumstances are though.

Mail in ballots are the big bad boogeyman. Lol. I haven’t been to the polls in years even before the pandemic. We do not have this problem in NJ. But in other states, people have to wait hours in line to vote leading to voter suppression. Most of those long lines happen to be in urban areas. Moreover, going to the polls, impacts the disable as well because it is too difficult to make it to the polls.

Making it mandatory to go to an election booth in this time and age is ridiculous. I am certainly open to better alternatives but this whole huge voter fraud notion is pure garbage.

It's not mandatory to go to an election booth. If you want to vote, you can go vote. If you don't want to vote, you don't have to go.

Reasonable accommodations (absentee/mail-in) should be made available for those who are out of town or disabled and don't wish to travel to the polls. Nobody else should receive a mail-in ballot. In this day and age, there is no reason to be tabulating votes via an antiquated method such as paper ballots.

It's not mandatory to go to an election booth. If you want to vote, you can go vote. If you don't want to vote, you don't have to go.

Reasonable accommodations (absentee/mail-in) should be made available for those who are out of town or disabled and don't wish to travel to the polls. Nobody else should receive a mail-in ballot. In this day and age, there is no reason to be tabulating votes via an antiquated method such as paper ballots.
so youre just completely ignoring it takes hours to vote for some people. standing in a line all day. particulary in urban neighborhoods where it might have been crafted that way on purpose

and nobody should have to wait on line for hours either.

I'm fine with mail in as a solution to the problems we currently have.
Fix the problems and I'm fine with getting rid of mail in (other than the instances you mention)

Election day for general and mid term elections should be a national holiday. There should be a minimum number of polling locations per capita consistently applied for every district in the country. Early voting should be allowed for a certain number of days prior to the election. Every voter should provide an ID in order to vote. Those without an ID should be able to vote provisionally and their ballots will only be counted if the number of provisional ballots could change the results and those voters provide their ID within a number of days after the election.

Do all of that and we won't need mail in.

so youre just completely ignoring it takes hours to vote for some people. standing in a line all day. particulary in urban neighborhoods where it might have been crafted that way on purpose

Then those cities should make more polling places available if they have a problem. Simple solution.

I've been voting for over a decade now and never once had to wait in any kind of long line. The most was like 2-3 people.

Last edited:
and nobody should have to wait on line for hours either.

I'm fine with mail in as a solution to the problems we currently have.
Fix the problems and I'm fine with getting rid of mail in (other than the instances you mention)

Election day for general and mid term elections should be a national holiday. There should be a minimum number of polling locations per capita consistently applied for every district in the country. Early voting should be allowed for a certain number of days prior to the election. Every voter should provide an ID in order to vote. Those without an ID should be able to vote provisionally and their ballots will only be counted if the number of provisional ballots could change the results and those voters provide their ID within a number of days after the election.

Do all of that and we won't need mail in.

It doesn't need to be a holiday. Polls are generally open 12-16 hours depending on your state. If you can't find time in your day for that, that's your own problem.

Yes to voter ID (just has to be a simple voter registration card check, not even a license/passport/birth cert). No to early voting - we have one election day and things can change if a candidate does something between the time an early voter votes and the actual election day that would have changed the voter's mind. If you're going to be out of town on election day, request an absentee ballot in advance.

Colorado has been doing mail in ballots since 2014. They are fairly civilized and haven't had any issues.

While it's easy to sit back and think that you vote easily so that should be the experience for everyone else... it isn't. It is absolutely absurd that anyone in the US should have to wait hours in order to vote. Mail in voting fixes some of the problems we have currently. Fix the problems and we won't need mail in voting.

People are going to cry foul no matter what the circumstances are though.
If it's a problem to vote in person, fix the problem. People shouldn't have to wait more than 15 minutes. Pass legislation that requires local voting districts to meet criteria, with fines, etc., if they don't comply.

There are too many opportunities for mail in votes. What about elderly people that get ballots that a family member fills out? We've seen ballots in the trash. If we had a national voter registration card that could be scanned at the polling site, it should speed the process and ensure accuracy.

Make election day a national holiday or open polls for two days. It's not that hard to solve it and eliminate sources for potential errors at the same time, unless you want to be partisan about it.

Reactions: shu09
If it's a problem to vote in person, fix the problem. People shouldn't have to wait more than 15 minutes. Pass legislation that requires local voting districts to meet criteria, with fines, etc., if they don't comply.

There are too many opportunities for mail in votes. What about elderly people that get ballots that a family member fills out? We've seen ballots in the trash. If we had a national voter registration card that could be scanned at the polling site, it should speed the process and ensure accuracy.

Make election day a national holiday or open polls for two days. It's not that hard to solve it and eliminate sources for potential errors at the same time, unless you want to be partisan about it.

Agree on your first point. We don't need a national holiday or a national voter registration card - voter registration needs to always be handled by the states, as it always has been. Any voter specific ID should be issued by the states, not the federal government.

Then those cities should make more polling places available if they have a problem. Simply solution.

Exactly... That is what they should do...
Instead they do the opposite and have been closing polling locations in certain states making it harder for people to vote. They even pass laws to prevent others from bringing them water and food.

They want it to be a struggle for some.

I've been voting for over a decade now and never once had to wait in any kind of long line. The most was like 2-3 people.

Because you live in a state where the government wants people to show up and vote.

Reactions: SHUSA
Yes to voter ID (just has to be a simple voter registration card check, not even a license/passport/birth cert). No to early voting - we have one election day and things can change if a candidate does something between the time an early voter votes and the actual election day that would have changed the voter's mind. If you're going to be out of town on election day, request an absentee ballot in advance.

Regarding the potential to change your mind, early voting would have the same impact as absentee voting which needs to be sent in early though.

Exactly. I agree with your solutions but we won't actually do that because those in power don't want it to be easy to vote for some people.

Reactions: SHUSA
Exactly. I agree with your solutions but we won't actually do that because those in power don't want it to be easy to vote for some people.
So we shouldn't do the right thing because of politicians that want to game the system? Seems like something WE SHOULD ALL BE PROTESTING, rather than supporting more BS legislation.

Agree on your first point. We don't need a national holiday or a national voter registration card - voter registration needs to always be handled by the states, as it always has been. Any voter specific ID should be issued by the states, not the federal government.
Disagree on the National Voter Registration. If you have one, you are free to move about and not have to get a new card when moving. Should also eliminate the risk of people voting in two states, which I could have easily done in the last election.

Regarding the potential to change your mind, early voting would have the same impact as absentee voting which needs to be sent in early though.

Absentee is only a fraction of the total vote.

Then those cities should make more polling places available if they have a problem. Simple solution.

i think there are efforts in govt that have actually REMOVED polling places. its being done on purpose.

just because you have that experience doesnt mean its what everyone else experiences. almost like youre trying to come off as ignorant as possible.

Make election day 2 days, a Saturday and a Sunday, perhaps with specific days for specific last names.

No early voting.

All need a photo ID to vote.

Mail-in ballots only if requested which must also contain a photo ID.

i think there are efforts in govt that have actually REMOVED polling places. its being done on purpose.

just because you have that experience doesnt mean its what everyone else experiences. almost like youre trying to come off as ignorant as possible.
So pass Federal legislation to punish the people in charge in those districts. If somebody knew the risk going to jail they might act differently.

So pass Federal legislation to punish the people in charge in those districts. If somebody knew the risk going to jail they might act differently.
doesnt sound like a simple solution. but at least you acknowledge the situation

The house passed such a bill last year. No republican support in the senate so it cannot become a law.

doesnt sound like a simple solution. but at least you acknowledge the situation
It is simple solution...but people in power don't like having that ability to manipulate taken away.

Polling places should be assigned based on population - more people, more polling places. Less people, fewer polling places.

Yes, my master plan is to come off as ignorant as possible on a basketball message board. You got me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT