ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation 8.5 %

No, they've just switched to blaming Russia and hoping people fall for their BS.

I wouldn't blame Russia for all of it, but it's certainly a large part.

Russia and Ukraine account for about 30% of the world's global wheat exports. A war in the region would of course bring a shock to the market. The price of wheat shot up about 50% and is at an all time high right now as a result of the war.

Core inflation was lower than expected (still high) which was offset because of increases directly related to the war.

"Transitory" was the biggest scam by Powell. I also think 8.5% is understated TBH. It really stinks many people in lower wage jobs are being pinched badly.
But the administration jumped on that phrase, when it was painfully obvious that it a wasn't short term issue. Now it's Putin's price increase on oil. More stupid messaging.

You're right...the people that can least afford this are getting the brunt of it. People that have no choice but to commute to work and pay at the pump; people that have to feed a family.

Reactions: shu09

Russia and Ukraine account for about 30% of the world's global wheat exports. A war in the region would of course bring a shock to the market. The price of wheat shot up about 50% and is at an all time high right now as a result of the war.

Core inflation was lower than expected (still high) which was offset because of increases directly related to the war.
isnt america like 90% wheat fields?

I blame Trump for losing the election, if he was re-elected Russia never would have invaded Ukraine and oil companies would be in hyper drive producing oil. He would be out in front of the problems leading the country. Joe's campaign promises to open the borders and rid us of fossil fuels is driving one crisis after another.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim34238
isnt america like 90% wheat fields?

We produce a ton of wheat but those producers are still a part of a global marketplace. A supply shock to that marketplace raises prices for everyone.

I blame Trump for losing the election, if he was re-elected Russia never would have invaded Ukraine and oil companies would be in hyper drive producing oil. He would be out in front of the problems leading the country. Joe's campaign promises to open the borders and rid us of fossil fuels is driving one crisis after another.

Yes he would definitely be leading the charge to raise interest rates, no doubt.

We produce a ton of wheat but those producers are still a part of a global marketplace. A supply shock to that marketplace raises prices for everyone.
but less so americans. and if not then youve just defined a gap. american farms > american homes

Yes he would definitely be leading the charge to raise interest rates, no doubt.
He would leading the charge to produce more oil and close the borders that's for sure. He also would never have put a person like Kamala Harris in a VP position. Our next in charge after a weak and feeble president is Kamala, that alone gives me nightmares everyday. I'm glad the world is a better place for you and your family, it's not for me.

but less so americans. and if not then youve just defined a gap. american farms > american homes

Not sure what you mean as far as less so?
Wheat is in pretty much everything we eat and the costs went up quite a bit.

As the build-up of Russian forces was happening (several months ago), you would hope someone was pondering that wheat exports from Russia and Ukraine would likely be impacted for an extended period. Did they have a plan to mitigate?

We haven't yet felt the full effects of the lessened wheat exports form the Ukraine and Russia. Expect it to have a even a larger impact on inflation.

Reactions: Section112
As the build-up of Russian forces was happening (several months ago), you would hope someone was pondering that wheat exports from Russia and Ukraine would likely be impacted for an extended period. Did they have a plan to mitigate?

Of course they were analyzing and planning.

Of course they were analyzing and planning.
And you know this how?

Anyway, wheat imports has little or nothing to do with the current 8.5% number. We export 50% of the wheat that we produce. Seems like we can solve this one rather than use it as a talking point.

We haven't yet felt the full effects of the lessened wheat exports form the Ukraine and Russia. Expect it to have a even a larger impact on inflation.

That is incorrect. Everything is based off of futures contracts and was priced in for March.

I was actually on a call this am talking about the economy and inflation. Our economists believe this was the peak and will trend down the rest of the year.

He would leading the charge to produce more oil and close the borders that's for sure. He also would never have put a person like Kamala Harris in a VP position. Our next in charge after a weak and feeble president is Kamala, that alone gives me nightmares everyday. I'm glad the world is a better place for you and your family, it's not for me.

What do open borders and Kamala Harris have to do with inflation?

Did I say the world was a better place for my family and I at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator:
And you know this how?
Because I was reading about it months ago.

Anyway, wheat imports has little or nothing to do with the current 8.5% number. We export 50% of the wheat that we produce. Seems like we can solve this one rather than use it as a talking point.

Not sure you appreciate the impacts on a global marketplace.

Because I was reading about it months ago.

Not sure you appreciate the impacts on a global marketplace.
I was suggesting that transitory inflation was BS several months ago and you were countering that it was going to start subsiding right about now....care to submit a reforecast?

Last edited:
I was suggesting that transitory inflation was BS several months ago and you were countering that it was going to start subsiding right about now....

I don't recall providing now as the timeframe, but I do recall saying it would decline during 2022 and still expect that to be the case.

I don't recall providing now as the timeframe, but I do recall saying it would decline during 2022 and still expect that to be the case.
The Master of the Search Function can't recall....lol

I was suggesting that transitory inflation was BS several months ago and you were countering that it was going to start subsiding right about now....care to submit a reforecast?
Interesting - Stocks are up today. Inflation had to occur period due to the fact that you cannot have interest rates remain at 0%. Once, the was talking about raising rates, that would naturally have an effect. Moreover, supply chain issues have also turned the heat on inflation as well as the war. But, inflation was inevitable. The question is the next 9 months. Will we see it start to dip?

Shallguy - have you finished genuflecting to the altar of Donald Trump?

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Interesting - Stocks are up today. Inflation had to occur period due to the fact that you cannot have interest rates remain at 0%. Once, the was talking about raising rates, that would naturally have an effect. Moreover, supply chain issues have also turned the heat on inflation as well as the war. But, inflation was inevitable. The question is the next 9 months. Will we see it start to dip?

Shallguy - have you finished genuflecting to the altar of Donald Trump?
Glad your stock portfolio is doing well today. I don't think the working class parents that can't afford groceries for their families and are paying $5/gallon are thinking about how their meager investments are doing today.

Those supply chain issues are continuing...Shanghai is in a complete lockdown. I think we get some stuff from China.

You said it would start to trend down...I said it would continue and perhaps increase. Hence....

Considering I said that a month ago, and core came in lower than expectations.... maybe I'm onto something?

In any case, I was talking about 2022 in total.
Inflation will trend down in 2022.

Glad your stock portfolio is doing well today. I don't think the working class parents that can't afford groceries for their families and are paying $5/gallon are thinking about how their meager investments are doing today.

That's not what he was saying.
Core being lower than expectations was a signal that inflation has peaked and the market was reacting to that.

Considering I said that a month ago, and core came in lower than expectations.... maybe I'm onto something?

In any case, I was talking about 2022 in total.
Inflation will trend down in 2022.
It was more than a month ago....

Transitory...lol

It was more than a month ago....

lol... would be so much easier if you just quoted what the hell you were talking about.
We talked about inflation a month ago. If you're going further than that, it's something from 6+ months ago?

You think I should have predicted a war 6 months ago? ok...

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
lol... would be so much easier if you just quoted what the hell you were talking about.
We talked about inflation a month ago. If you're going further than that, it's something from 6+ months ago?

You think I should have predicted a war 6 months ago? ok...
Don't get so sensitive....not that big a deal. I find it funny that you can't find your own quote when you can find stuff I posted two or three years ago.

Don't get so sensitive....not that big a deal. I find it funny that you can't find your own quote when you can find stuff I posted two or three years ago.

Right. I support my posts.
If I use a quote, I don't twist your words....

It's fine. You think I should have predicted a war. Gotcha. I'll try harder next time.

Those supply chain issues are continuing...Shanghai is in a complete lockdown. I think we get some stuff from China.
You jumped to the defense of the working class now did ya? Not sure what that response was to. However, since the market reacted positively to the days news on inflation, that means Wall St sees better days for the economy.

I didn't talk about my portfolio. I was talking about the reasons why there was inflation. Its a multi prong attack and not just one reason why we have it.

You jumped to the defense of the working class now did ya? Not sure what that response was to. However, since the market reacted positively to the days news on inflation, that means Wall St sees better days for the economy.

I didn't talk about my portfolio. I was talking about the reasons why there was inflation. Its a multi prong attack and not just one reason why we have it.
You must not be paying attention. I responded earlier in this thread (response to knives) regarding concern for the working class.

I know there are multiple reasons (not just wheat and oil as merge and the Administration has made excuses). Labor costs are still rising; supply chain issues; price increases in future contract cycles, etc.). Explained this all months ago.

You may want to check the stock market again also….

Last edited:
not just wheat and oil as merge and the Administration has made excuses

I literally said I wouldn't blame Russia for all of it. Just saying that the impacts on prices due to war is not insignificant.

It's fine. We can revisit as it declines through the rest of the year.

What do open borders and Kamala Harris have to do with inflation?

Did I say the world was a better place for my family and I at the moment?
At the sound of Trump's name I envision you and cernjSHU shaking uncontrollably at a keyboard somewhere. For a guy who is unhappy with Biden (Oh wait you didn't say that)
What do open borders and Kamala Harris have to do with inflation? Nothing at all, other than make me disgusted, and contribute to the sick feeling I get everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT