ADVERTISEMENT

Iona Game Cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this be a crafty Willard way of avoiding playing Pitino and solely focusing on St. John's? He even said on the podcast with the ESPN guys this week that Pitino called him up while he had the virus last year (and might have also been under the influence) and scheduled the 2020 game with a return at MSG in 2021. On the radio after the Rutgers game, Willard said it would be difficult to prepare for both Iona and then St. John's only 48 hours later...

😂 😂 😂 Makes for some good lighthearted discussion at least.

Crazy stuff. Lots of Mis information. Makes you wonder what the facts truly are. I hope the game happens.

Actually, I read that Braziller wrote it, so I assume its true we are not all vaxed.
I forgot who posted in earlier in the year. I assumed it was true - maybe it was a Zags story. Whenever I raised it people got quiet. That led me to believe it was accurate. And then I saw Braziller writing about it. So I did the math.

Looks like the vaccines you support that "prevent spread" are doing a great job. Yesterday had more positive cases than the peak from last year's winter surge with no vaccines.

And what makes you think the positive cases are not unvaccinated folks?

Could this be a crafty Willard way of avoiding playing Pitino and solely focusing on St. John's? He even said on the podcast with the ESPN guys this week that Pitino called him up while he had the virus last year (and might have also been under the influence) and scheduled the 2020 game with a return at MSG in 2021. On the radio after the Rutgers game, Willard said it would be difficult to prepare for both Iona and then St. John's only 48 hours later...

I can handle the scouting for him. Take care of the ball against the pressure. Hammer the glass and use our size advantage. Allow everyone but Champagne to shoot over the defense in the half court and crowd him so he has to put it on the floor. And Posh is a demon. Done.

Here, virtually everyone...lofl

There is a clear difference between anti-vaxxers (not me) and those who do not see the actual data to support the fundamental societal cost in mandating vaccines that serve to protect from serious illness for those who want that protection (me). Those who are hopped up on the mandate train are the ones who people like me shake their heads most at who cannot see past their own superiority complex. Then, we shake our heads at the extremists among the anti-vaxxers and so on and so forth.

Serious question not being a dick. How much data or how long a vaccine need to be around for people on the fence to take it. Im not talking about some of those crazy anti-vaxers that won’t take any shots at all which is wild. I’m talking about people that 1 don’t think it helps when it clear,y does or 2 hide behind the “not enough data” or my body my choice or the famous “bodily autonomy” while simultaneously celebrating republicans not allowing a woman to have the same choice or autonomy themselves I.e. All the other vaccines people are required to get for one reason or another. Polio, measles, mumps, TB, rubella?. whether it be to serve in the militar, go to school, he’ll I had to get a vaccine to live on campus as SHU just curios as to how much time needs to pass before it’s “ok” was going through medical records recently and found my childhood vaccine card or has it was labeled “health passport” containing all my infant vaccine dates found it pretty relevant to today

Serious question not being a dick. How much data or how long a vaccine need to be around for people on the fence to take it. Im not talking about some of those crazy anti-vaxers that won’t take any shots at all which is wild. I’m talking about people that 1 don’t think it helps when it clear,y does or 2 hide behind the “not enough data” or my body my choice or the famous “bodily autonomy” while simultaneously celebrating republicans not allowing a woman to have the same choice or autonomy themselves I.e. All the other vaccines people are required to get for one reason or another. Polio, measles, mumps, TB, rubella?. whether it be to serve in the militar, go to school, he’ll I had to get a vaccine to live on campus as SHU just curios as to how much time needs to pass before it’s “ok” was going through medical records recently and found my childhood vaccine card or has it was labeled “health passport” containing all my infant vaccine dates found it pretty relevant to today
Hmmmmm....Maybe our players aren't on the fence.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
New theory: Willard just trying to duck game he agreed to while sick and drunk. 🤣

He's told this story before. Personally, I think it's an embellishment at best and closer to being untrue. The timeline of things doesn't really fit.

We were scheduled to play Baylor on Sunday, November 29. That game was cancelled on November 24, the day we came out of our own quarantine. We played Iona on November 30, so that date wasn't even available to us until less than a week before.

The game itself was announced by the school on November 28. Prior to that we had been looking to pick up an additional game in Louisville after we had to cancelled our game there against Winthrop.

I could see us not wanting to play Iona if we're going to be at less than full strength depending on who isn't available.

All of the vaccines you cited have been administered and studied for decades. This one hasn't.

But it doesn't prevent spread...inhibit a bit? Seems to. Prevent? Shocked anyone would even type that at this point.
The vaccine data from Israel, Iceland, England, Ireland, and other places where at least 85% of the population was vaxxed (and mostly double vaxxed) shows that covid infection rates and seroius illness rates were significantly higher in the vaccinated. Data is beginning to indicate that the vax and boosters may actually weaken or totally wipe out any natural immunity to the illness. In addition, the variants have apparently mutated in response to the vaccines, making the vaxxes no longer effective. The good news is that the varients have milder symptoms generally, which follows established patterns for virus evolution.

Since the survival rate is so high, about 99.8%, it's time to get back to normal. Treat Covid like the flu. At risk groups should take more stringent protection measures for themselves.

There is a clear difference between anti-vaxxers (not me) and those who do not see the actual data to support the fundamental societal cost in mandating vaccines that serve to protect from serious illness for those who want that protection (me). Those who are hopped up on the mandate train are the ones who people like me shake their heads most at who cannot see past their own superiority complex. Then, we shake our heads at the extremists among the anti-vaxxers and so on and so forth.
The biggest problem is we listen to people talk in absolutes. There are no absolutes that's why we go see our own doctors for opinions on our own individual circumstances. Smart people are suckered into believing these people. Imagine telling an absolute about penicillin in the first 2 years it came out. We've found out over time 10% of people are allergic to it. It's nuts to talk in absolutes with only 1 year of putting this stuff in human bodies.

Umm i mean they were brand new at some point. And thats what I’m asking. How much time needs to go by before they are accepted by the on the fence crowd

You're asking an unanswerable question because it depends on the individual and not broad, sweeping generalizations, which unfortunately is very well accepted (and then condemned in other aspects of life BTW...). My question, which obviously I feel is much more meaningful, is why does it matter to you? If you want to take the vaccine, you can. Someone not taking the vaccine does not impact you, and this is not going away so it's best to just stop pretending that a vaccine mandate is a solution with that as an end point.

Umm i mean they were brand new at some point. And thats what I’m asking. How much time needs to go by before they are accepted by the on the fence crowd

I would say multiple years, at the least. Maybe 5? But it all comes down to the individual's risk tolerance in the end.

The vaccine data from Israel, Iceland, England, Ireland, and other places where at least 85% of the population was vaxxed (and mostly double vaxxed) shows that covid infection rates and seroius illness rates were significantly higher in the vaccinated. Data is beginning to indicate that the vax and boosters may actually weaken or totally wipe out any natural immunity to the illness. In addition, the variants have apparently mutated in response to the vaccines, making the vaxxes no longer effective. The good news is that the varients have milder symptoms generally, which follows established patterns for virus evolution.

Since the survival rate is so high, about 99.8%, it's time to get back to normal. Treat Covid like the flu. At risk groups should take more stringent protection measures for themselves.

Wrong.

I'm sure this has been raised, but how do you go about enforcing this aspect of the rule:

"If the Pirates don’t have seven available players for any Big East game, they would forfeit per Big East rules. In addition to dealing with COVID issues, the Pirates have also been dealing with injuries to big man Ike Obiagu and backup point guard Jahari Long."

Let's say we have 7, or could have 7 if a player was willing to push a bit through a minor injury that he would ordinarily push through. How do you enforce that? The forfeit potentially harms your opponent as much as it harms you if the forfeit doesn't count for NCAA seeding consideration.

Iona doesn't want the forfeit. They want to play this game badly, because they only get so many high-major opportunities. Does the rule allow Willard to be a little coy on who is "available" and who isn't?

You're asking an unanswerable question because it depends on the individual and not broad, sweeping generalizations, which unfortunately is very well accepted (and then condemned in other aspects of life BTW...). My question, which obviously I feel is much more meaningful, is why does it matter to you? If you want to take the vaccine, you can. Someone not taking the vaccine does not impact you, and this is not going away so it's best to just stop pretending that a vaccine mandate is a solution with that as an end point.
It doesn’t matter hence the preface of just it being a serious question. im not arguing one way or another never mentioned the word mandate but would say pretty naive to say it doesn’t impact other people.

It doesn’t matter hence the preface of just it being a serious question. im not arguing one way or another never mentioned the word mandate but would say pretty naive to say it doesn’t impact other people.

How does it impact other people? Your vaccine lessens the chance you end up in the hospital. It doesn't help the person next to you who hasn't taken the shot.

This is what I've been reading and very much how I feel on the matter. It's somewhat disturbing to me that nearly 70% of confirmed "Omicron" variant COVID cases are from vaccinated people. Of that number, something like 15% of that number is triple vaxxed with the booster.

I got the 2 stage vaccine; wasn't overly thrilled about it but I respected all the science and public sentiment being pushed at me and wanted to regain some semblance of a normal life. This is playing out as many in the scientific community have been saying for two years now; peaks and valleys of virus contraction, with each outbreak becoming less and less severe. Mutations of the virus began to form and thrive while the original strains slowly wither away; the formers continuing to degrade in severity until they are essentially regular colds. My town had SEVENTY new cases of COVID in the past few days, and I live in a regular ol' suburb. Yet, and just like it's been every week and month for 2 years now - no one is dying. The latter has not changed whether it be pre-vaccination eligibility or post.

Based on that, no, I'm in no hurry to obtain a booster shot. I have real concerns about protecting my body's immune system and I take the "Science" behind that as seriously as I do the science behind COVID 2 years ago. Frankly, I've had more non-COVID colds in the 9 months of having the vaccine than I've had in the previous 5-7 years in total before it. That concerns me and it makes me feel like the concerns about my immune system valid.

As such, I can't fault a 20 year old student athlete for not wanting to be vaccinated. Whether you agree with their thought process or not, you can't blame them for prioritizing what they feel is their own health and welfare over a game they play for the amusement of others.

I'm sure this has been raised, but how do you go about enforcing this aspect of the rule:

"If the Pirates don’t have seven available players for any Big East game, they would forfeit per Big East rules. In addition to dealing with COVID issues, the Pirates have also been dealing with injuries to big man Ike Obiagu and backup point guard Jahari Long."

Let's say we have 7, or could have 7 if a player was willing to push a bit through a minor injury that he would ordinarily push through. How do you enforce that? The forfeit potentially harms your opponent as much as it harms you if the forfeit doesn't count for NCAA seeding consideration.

Iona doesn't want the forfeit. They want to play this game badly, because they only get so many high-major opportunities. Does the rule allow Willard to be a little coy on who is "available" and who isn't?
Iona doesn’t get a forfeit. It’s only a Big East standings thing.

This is what I've been reading and very much how I feel on the matter. It's somewhat disturbing to me that nearly 70% of confirmed "Omicron" variant COVID cases are from vaccinated people. Of that number, something like 15% of that number is triple vaxxed with the booster.

I got the 2 stage vaccine; wasn't overly thrilled about it but I respected all the science and public sentiment being pushed at me and wanted to regain some semblance of a normal life. This is playing out as many in the scientific community have been saying for two years now; peaks and valleys of virus contraction, with each outbreak becoming less and less severe. Mutations of the virus began to form and thrive while the original strains slowly wither away; the formers continuing to degrade in severity until they are essentially regular colds. My town had SEVENTY new cases of COVID in the past few days, and I live in a regular ol' suburb. Yet, and just like it's been every week and month for 2 years now - no one is dying. The latter has not changed whether it be pre-vaccination eligibility or post.

Based on that, no, I'm in no hurry to obtain a booster shot. I have real concerns about protecting my body's immune system and I take the "Science" behind that as seriously as I do the science behind COVID 2 years ago. Frankly, I've had more non-COVID colds in the 9 months of having the vaccine than I've had in the previous 5-7 years in total before it. That concerns me and it makes me feel like the concerns about my immune system valid.

As such, I can't fault a 20 year old student athlete for not wanting to be vaccinated. Whether you agree with their thought process or not, you can't blame them for prioritizing what they feel is their own health and welfare over a game they play for the amusement of others.

Well said.

Iona doesn’t get a forfeit. It’s only a Big East standings thing.
Got it. So for Iona, basically it would take playing the game against our 7 (if we even had that). But from the Hall perspective, if that were even doable, why play the game if a loss b/c of the depleted roster would only hurt you.

Reactions: flconticello
I am not an anti-vaxer per say. I am immunized for MMR, small pox. I don't take Flu vaccine. Why inject myself with something that is on average less than 50% effective. I don't take shingles vax. I had shingles so likelihood of getting again is very small. Won't take Covid vax because it is proving to have very little benefit and it's untested. It will likely be as or more ineffective as the flu vax. If I get covid I'll deal with it using therapeutics and build my own antibodies. I won't live my life afraid of getting sick...they have a diagnosis for that called hypochondria.

Wow, I get people have a choice but this lack of vaccinations is helping is helping spread the variants. I hope we don’t have another lost season. How can non-vaccinated players get into the Garden if fans need to show proof of vaccines?

I’ve paid a handsome sum for tickets - wonder if I can get a refund.

Several schools are cancelling by the hour, same problem in NBA and NHL too. Depaul vs Northwestern cancelled, Penn State vs VCU cancelled, UK vs Ohio State cancelled and more. Not a Willard strategy thing, its all over the place and more cancellations will be coming, just watch.

Wow, I get people have a choice but this lack of vaccinations is helping is helping spread the variants. I hope we don’t have another lost season. How can non-vaccinated players get into the Garden if fans need to show proof of vaccines?

I’ve paid a handsome sum for tickets - wonder if I can get a refund.
That’s inaccurate. There is really no difference in infection or transmission rates between vaxed and unvaxed. Only possible benefit is the cases are less severe…if that doesn’t turn out to be alive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT