ADVERTISEMENT

KING to decide tomorrow

Edit

Try posting using civil language.

Sick and tired of having to edit or delete posts like this one!

Our recruiting strategy should not be "let's sit tight and hope somebody gets homesick."

Transfers are an important piece to the puzzle but your meat and potatoes needs to be 4 year players, and the staff needs to be able to recruit talented HS seniors if they want to be successful long term.

A couple of the main reasons I'm not a huge fan of transfers:

1) During their sit out year they eat up a scholarship and all you get is a practice player.
2) Often come with baggage. The vast majority of our transfers have been headaches - Herb Pope, Keon Lawrence, Sterling Gibbs, Stix Mitchell, Jeff Robinson, Jevon Thomas.
Arguing point 1)
I don't think it's healthy to have 13 available players.. I think it's good when 1 or 2 players can't gripe about playing time and get a year to grow and be ready to produce and help balance out ships.
Non top 100-freshman usually don't contribute much their 1st year anyway "best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores".

Arguing point 2)
There are kids with baggage from every recruiting source.. should we not recruit high schoolers because Myles Carter was a high school kid and he wasn't mature enough to go to class? or because high schoolers transfer out at a higher rate than players that have already transferred?

I'm not saying focus on just transfers.. but i'd love to have 1 grad transfer and 1-2 regular transfers every year. I think we should focus on players 50-200 and fill in with transfers and grad transfers depending on our lineup and scholarship situation.

Reactions: Fishjam
Pretty cool video. Selfishly I wanted the kid at SHU but I'm happy for him. Best of luck.

I think we were a real player with King which is why this is disappointing. Also, the staff did have a plan B, C, and D the problem is that we missed on A, B, C, D.
And therefore KW gets a solid F for the recruiting class so far. Forget TT and the sit outs, I'm talking about what the recruiting budget is primarily used for.

A school like shu doesn't have many opportunities to land a 5 star recruit, but this was one of those rare instances. I tip my cap to the staff for their efforts. Time to focus on this season and hope we have better luck with the 2019 class.

Reactions: buckfoston824
This one more than any other in the past was our best chance to reel in a 5 star. We got Whitehead but I'm talking about near misses.

Who was the lead recruiter for King?
Who's almost always the lead recruiter. o_O

Gotta feel for Sha. He works so hard with so little to show for it.

If he was a coach at a FB school I shudder to think what he could do.

the whole "we're recruiting him hardest" comes across as extremelyyyyyyyy desperate for like the past 10 years

Who's almost always the lead recruiter. o_O

Gotta feel for Sha. He works so hard with so little to show for it.

If he was a coach at a FB school I shudder to think what he could do.
Dan I used to agree but I'm not sure if I buy that anymore. We all read the quotes from the players and parents that seton hall (shaheen) is such a great recruiter, but like u said he has literally nothing to show for it. Ever. how does an elite recruiter literally produce average to below average results year after year. It's bizarre. Is it ultimately the head coaches inability to close? Is it the lack of facilities? Is it that we can't afford to pay what P5 schools can? Tommy amaker was able to recruit at an elite level here and back then our facilities were pathetic. I still want to believe sha is a great recruiter but eventually you have to look at his record and judge him by results.

Last edited:
It was always my understanding that an assistant's job as it related to recruiting was to identify talent and if the head coach agreed with that talent assessment that the player was one that he would like to see at SH then it was the assistant's goal to get that player to consider SH as an option for his college choice. It was then the head coach's job to convince the player that he was a coach he could be comfortable playing for and to close the deal that SH should be his choice.

I believe that Sha does a great job getting kids to seriously consider SH and the top players we've lost are winding up at schools that have a lot to offer , regrettably more then we can.

Reactions: Section112
i could have had the same results recruiting these guys.

i dont know any assistant coaches on any other team. jus ttheir head coach. top dog is all that counts. you dont play for the assistant coach.

i could have had the same results recruiting these guys.

i dont know any assistant coaches on any other team. jus ttheir head coach. top dog is all that counts. you dont play for the assistant coach.

wow because you don't know the assistant coaches on any other team, assistants don't matter in recruiting. That might be the most idiotic logic on this board ever. And that's saying something. Impressive job.

Reactions: Flnj86
Very disappointing for sure. King was a perfect fit. Bah. Another swing and miss, outdone by Nike U. Onto the next one.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
wow because you don't know the assistant coaches on any other team, assistants don't matter in recruiting. That might be the most idiotic logic on this board ever. And that's saying something. Impressive job.
All about top dog. Tell me otherwise

All about top dog. Tell me otherwise

Then why is there even a thread to hire Mike Rice? Here's the answer....Because assistants make a difference. Their connections matter. For the longest time on here there were discussions Willard only got the players because of his assistants. Now it's all about top dog?

Then why is there even a thread to hire Mike Rice? Here's the answer....Because assistants make a difference. Their connections matter. For the longest time on here there were discussions Willard only got the players because of his assistants. Now it's all about top dog?

It takes both for us to be successful in our recruiting.The assistants to identify the talent and get the kids to consider our program and the head coach to close the deal.if you don't have assistants who can get you to make your pitch you're not going to succeed. If you don't have a head coach who can close then you can't succeed either.

It takes both for us to be successful in our recruiting.The assistants to identify the talent and get the kids to consider our program and the head coach to close the deal.if you don't have assistants who can get you to make your pitch you're not going to succeed. If you don't have a head coach who can close then you can't succeed either.
Do you really think the head coach is closing the deal? Or is it the side deals like getting a family member a modeling contract the deal closer. Or the bags of money that show up. 90% of the 30 for 30s that deal with college athletics get into how ugly recruiting is. And it's not the head coaches doing the dirty stuff. It's the alums and boosters doing the dirty work for the coach.

Reactions: SOBO1
hiring for a player is a different story but the top dog has to close

so why is Nike so interested on where a kid goes to college? if they were that interested they would start at the youngest level and have entire top 100 at nike schools if they wanted to. I have a hard time wrapping my head around corporate Nike in a meeting saying "we need king to go to oregon"

After today's news, it becomes a little easier to actually see this happening. Lol.

Interesting that RJ Barrett has Oregon on his top three list (along with Duke and Kentucky). Rivals has Barrett listed as a SG. I think he will play WF. King could very well have competition for PT from the get go.

Interesting that RJ Barrett has Oregon on his top three list (along with Duke and Kentucky). Rivals has Barrett listed as a SG. I think he will play WF. King could very well have competition for PT from the get go.

Barrett will probably be a PG.

Amazing how Oregon has become such a force in BB and FB.

Money talks and they have one of the biggest boosters in all of college sports.

You're not kidding. Think about it, as a freshman PG guard last season, Pritchard (a top 50 recruit) was 3rd in minutes per game for a good Oregon team. In his junior season in 2018, if he ends up as a back up for RJ Barrett, again, all I can say is wow.

That is the kind of thing I was expect to happen at places like Duke and Kentucky. Oregon is the not the school that would come into mind for this.

I still think King can expect serious competition for PT.

Last edited:
If the reported money is about travel expenses and our staff spends most of their time driving in their cars in the NY metro it stands to reason....

Oh bosh. Cannot use the phrase stands to reason here.

My bad.

Please proceed! :D

Barrett will probably be a PG.
Is that just your opinion or have you read that somewhere? Barrett seems like the ultimate slasher/scorer/finisher wing-player.

You can never have enough wings with size in college basketball. For many coaches the ideal lineup is a PG, 3 wings and a big man. They also have 2017 SF Troy Brown, potential 1 and done.

I saw him listed as a WF with a great handle. I also saw him listed as a SG that can handle the ball. I don't see him being a PG as a stretch at all.

A slightly more talented version of Kyle Anderson?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT