ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden Update

He would look good running the 3man weave. Another lefty to boot.

Bring him in now!

Losing out on TT will stink just like losing Govan stinks. Shame as those two could really make us a lot better, and their help would be magnified at SHU as opposed to wherever they end up.

Losing out on TT will stink just like losing Govan stinks. Shame as those two could really make us a lot better, and their help would be magnified at SHU as opposed to wherever they end up.

Hoping we can pull it off, but these prolonged recruiting adventures rarely seem to end well for us in recent years. We seem to be more effective when we earn the commitment early.

Reactions: shupat08
Imo, that list includes one name bigger than ours.

Baylor and Kansas are both bigger name programs than SHU.

Baylor in last 10 years: 6 NCAA appearances... 2 sweet sixteens... 5 seasons with over 24 wins... 2 seasons with less than 20 wins... 5 seasons ranked at the end of the season... Ranked at one point or another in 9 seasons... 231 wins & 119 losses.

Holden looks like a player that you have to grab if he wants to come here. But, what is more concerning is that Willard can't land Thompson or another quality big man.

Even despite having a really solid nucleus that is coming back next year, Willard has not been able to put together any real recruiting classes besides the IW, Delgado year.

In two years since the IW class, Willard has landed one top 100 player in Powell. This is not a good showing on the recruiting trial at all. It seems TT is gone so who is left to grab at this point?

Assuming Powell take Gordon's spot and Holden takes Anderson's, there still can be another one or two ships left depending on Thomas and IW. We have a very unbalanced team with so many juniors on the team.

Thornton went to a big program (Duke), how did that work out for him after they recruited over him.

Holden looks like a player that you have to grab if he wants to come here. But, what is more concerning is that Willard can't land Thompson or another quality big man.

Even despite having a really solid nucleus that is coming back next year, Willard has not been able to put together any real recruiting classes besides the IW, Delgado year.

In two years since the IW class, Willard has landed one top 100 player in Powell. This is not a good showing on the recruiting trial at all. It seems TT is gone so who is left to grab at this point?

Assuming Powell take Gordon's spot and Holden takes Anderson's, there still can be another one or two ships left depending on Thomas and IW. We have a very unbalanced team with so many juniors on the team.

cern.
The 2015 class was a huge opportunity to build up quality depth and hopefully could have added that legitimate 5 and if that had happened the program would have had a true foundation building on the great 2014 class . When you consider that the 2015 class was a six player class and the only real contributor was DG your observations are appropriate.

Reactions: deheremike
Paul Biancardi tweeted before that it's come down to Duke and Kentucky, so take it for what it's worth. He is another shill for the worldwide leader, so...

Paul Biancardi tweeted before that it's come down to Duke and Kentucky, so take it for what it's worth. He is another shill for the worldwide leader, so...

You misinterpreted the tweet....The tweet was in reference to Bolden not Holden.

Just an FYI. Because of Syracuse's deep tournament run they may now be back as the favorite for Thompson.

UConn is making a late bid as well. The Hall is still in play but might be slipping.
UConn might have passed Syracuse and SHU for Thompson.

Stay tuned.

Can

Can transfers take officials. If so, that he is taking an unofficial makes me think we aren't top dogs here.
There's a limit on officials through HS.

Not sure how many officials Holden still has left. That means he might take unofficials to schools closer to him and officials to schools farther away.

Reading between the lines it looks like TT is "Probably" not going
to be on the roster next year. We have some very tough comp for
Holden, but it is still possible. My question is, are there any other players that the coaching staff have zeroed in for next year's team? You may have posted this on the Trove. So at this point there is a reasonable chance we have replaced IW and Gordon with Thomas & Powell? No additions to the frontcourt?? Still a very good team, maybe not as good as I see it. I realize Carter will be in the mix too.

I think Holden would be a great fit here. Glad the staff is on him hard.

Reading between the lines it looks like TT is "Probably" not going
to be on the roster next year. We have some very tough comp for
Holden, but it is still possible. My question is, are there any other players that the coaching staff have zeroed in for next year's team? You may have posted this on the Trove. So at this point there is a reasonable chance we have replaced IW and Gordon with Thomas & Powell? No additions to the frontcourt?? Still a very good team, maybe not as good as I see it. I realize Carter will be in the mix too.

UConn might have passed Syracuse and SHU for Thompson.

Stay tuned.
Dan,
I've seen it mentioned several times on here that it seems Taurean is not going to choose SH. Is it just conjecture based on the announcement early this week that he's visiting UConn and the lack of SH news....or is there anything else to base it on?

The kid has said all along that he was going to wait until April/May to choose and has been receiving new offers from big programs all Spring. But as one of the top 10 uncommitted Seniors of course he's getting a lot of late offers. I was bummed to read about the UConn visit but doesn't change the fact that we've been in on him from the beginning and his Mom was at many of our games this year without him. Have to think we still have a solid shot at him right?

Can you think of two worst teams to lose to over a badly needed player? To a certain extent I understand Syracuse, but uconn? Have fun playing ucf, usf, Tulane, east Carolina et al twice a year.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Dan,
I've seen it mentioned several times on here that it seems Taurean is not going to choose SH. Is it just conjecture based on the announcement early this week that he's visiting UConn and the lack of SH news....or is there anything else to base it on?

The kid has said all along that he was going to wait until April/May to choose and has been receiving new offers from big programs all Spring. But as one of the top 10 uncommitted Seniors of course he's getting a lot of late offers. I was bummed to read about the UConn visit but doesn't change the fact that we've been in on him from the beginning and his Mom was at many of our games this year without him. Have to think we still have a solid shot at him right?
There is no guarantee what he will do. But I have very good sources and those sources believe at this time UConn is leading with Syracuse and the Hall lagging.

Plus ESPN's pay site had recruiting info and the reporter of the story favored UConn and the staff believes it's Syracuse.

FWIW I have heard the same as Dan. Cuse's run to the final 4 definitely helped the cause and I don't think TT is so concerned about what they have returning in the front court.

Uconn's conference is subpar, but they are still a very good program only a few years away from a national championship. Can't sneeze on that.

There is no guarantee what he will do. But I have very good sources and those sources believe at this time UConn is leading with Syracuse and the Hall lagging.

Plus ESPN's pay site had recruiting info and the reporter of the story favored UConn and the staff believes it's Syracuse.

Disappointing news. Powell & TT would make a nice 2-man class. I'm thinking Willard & Sha are going to make a big signing off this year's success. Holden would qualify as a transfer but it would likely be a 2017 target. Rafus would be lovely and an instant fan favorite.

Is Roundtree a similar level player as TT?

Also, what's your take on Eron Gordon......is he more of a 2-guard than a PG in college?

Butler is no longer an option for Eron Gordon. On the 247 site, Jerry Meyer changed his pick from Butler to Seton Hall yesterday. Then several other people from that site picked Seton Hall today, Seton Hall is now in the lead for Eron Gordon over Missouri and Marquette.
I watched Eron Gordon's video's and he has pretty good handles, he may not be a pure PG but I would consider him a combo guard. Right now the only definite guards for Seton Hall in the OC schedule are Khadeen Carrington and Myles Powell.I hope Isaiah returns next year but that has not been decided yet. I do not see any names of Grad transfers that SHU is bringing in next year in case Isaiah goes to the NBA. I would rather bring in a talented player such as Eron Gordon over a mediocre PG Grad transfer.

There is so much misinformation and inaccurate reporting about recruiting and the status of who is leading for Eron Gordon is a classic example of that and that example is not unique. That's why, with very minor exceptions like Carino, you learn not to get too excited about these various recruiting websites that put us in the lead for any player.

There is an article in an Indiana newspaper from yesterday, Eron Gordon stated that he is no longer considering Butler and considering Seton Hall,Missouri and Marquette. Do some research SPK, this info is in a newspaper article, not from some blog or message board! Why would he state that he is considering Seton Hall if we were not recruiting him? Where did Dan get his info? Did you ever think that after he visited in the fall, we decided to go in a different direction, but now because of our roster we are showing more attention. Neither you or Dan have all the answers. I put more weight on what the Seton Hall coaches say or the players themselves. Think before you post and use some logic. The way you talked about Coach Willard on this message board, he probably would not give you the time of day. That also applies to a handful of other posters on this site.

Seton Hall isn't even recruiting Eron Gordon anymore, how many times does Dan have to say it???
I have never seen Dan say he's off the table until just now but I don't read everything on here. But if he is, then tell Gordon himself that he is giving out incorrect info.

From the Indianapolis Star today:
Gordon, a 6-2 Cathedral senior, announced Thursday that the Bulldogs are out of the mix as he considers college choices. He told IndyStar’s high school insider, Kyle Neddenriep, that Missouri has contacted him and that he is also considering Marquette and Seton Hall.

Gordon was in New Albany on Thursday for “Night of the Future Stars,” an event ahead of the Kentucky Derby Festival Basketball Classic in Louisville, Ky.

“I hope to have something decided here in the next two or three weeks,” Gordon said. “I’m just making sure I can make a great decision.”

Gordon said he’s not limiting himself to Missouri, Marquette and Seton Hall. Prep school is not an option, he said.
unquote

When the Big East Brief's had a written news letter, they listed every Big East team and mentioned what players were targets for each team They updated the lists throughout the year. I wish I knew who is the 17 player. Dan stated that according to a source, we have locked up a grad transfer in the event that Isaiah heads to the NBA. Now his recent posts suggest that it is hard to recruit a grad transfer, because by the time Isaiah makes his decision a grad transfer may commit to another school. This is a contradiction, so did the grad transfer that an unnamed source was referring to disappear off the face of the earth?

Last edited:
I do not see any names of Grad transfers that SHU is bringing in next year in case Isaiah goes to the NBA. I would rather bring in a talented player such as Eron Gordon over a mediocre PG Grad transfer.

I like Gordon also although with Cale and Powell, that would be 3 combo guards that are more 2s than PGs. Only grad transfer I've seen them associated with has been Ronnie Johnson from Houston so far.

Fishjam. Do not use logic and common sense when you post, because there are a handful of posters on this board that will personally attack you.

There is article in an Indiana newspaper.***Do some research SPK, this info is in a newspaper article, not from some blog or message board! Why would he state that he is considering Seton Hall if we were not recruiting him. Did you ever think ***Think before you post and use some logic..
Just a couple of minor points:
An article in a newspaper isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It's only as good as the author and his sources. Some blogs are way ahead of newspapers in terms of credible info.

Many kids tell reporters and even friends that so & so are recruiting him, when in fact they aren't but it sounds good. Wishful thinking by the kid. How do I know? I've recruited kids and you'd be shocked (well you wouldn't) that many kids tell little white lies in this area. The kid may be considering SH, but that does not mean SH is considering or recruiting him. Fact!

Might want to try and follow your own advice and think before you post, what a novel idea. DONE! (Stealing a copyrighted term from SPK)

Last edited:
Gordon said he’s not limiting himself to Missouri, Marquette and Seton Hall. Prep school is not an option, he said.
unquote

Basically he is saying...

"I want to go to one of these schools, if they don't want me I'll go to a Prep School. But I hope I don't have to do that."

sigh. this schizoid again. Way to make another thread exhausting for no reason. Especially when you're wrong. Questioning Dan when he's firm (pause) about something (part. with recruiting) is almost always a fool's errand.

Reactions: SPK145
Here's the deal.

Eron Gordon wanted to commit to Seton Hall in the fall. There was much discussion whether to accept that commitment or not.

Eventually despite liking the players a lot it was decided that his talent duplicated what we had coming back and the school chose to look elsewhere. As did Gordon

That was the last word I got on Gordon until now.

With Isaiah having one foot out the door and Thomas being suspended early next season Seton Hall has only Carrington and Powell on the roster to start 2016/17 meaning the need for more firepower in the backcourt is critical. Thus Eron Gordon (Holloway recruit) is again back in play as is a grad transfer as well as a regular transfer.

My two cents, the staff has a pecking order of Thompson 1, Holden 2, and Gordon 3, if the first 2 choose to go elsewhere in the next 2 weeks, Gordon will be a Pirate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT