ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden Update

Here's the deal.

Eron Gordon wanted to commit to Seton Hall in the fall. There was much discussion whether to accept that commitment or not.

Eventually despite liking the players a lot it was decided that his talent duplicated what we had coming back and the school chose to look elsewhere. As did Gordon

That was the last word I got on Gordon until now.

With Isaiah having one foot out the door and Thomas being suspended early next season Seton Hall has only Carrington and Powell on the roster to start 2016/17 meaning the need for more firepower in the backcourt is critical. Thus Eron Gordon (Holloway recruit) is again back in play as is a grad transfer.

Here's what puzzles me. The staff certainly knew that going into the 2015/2016 season there was a distinct possibility that IW would declare for the pros , leaving one experienced PG on the roster in JT a transfer , sitting out a year and no other PG on the roster. Yet, other then Thomas they didn't bring in a PG in their 6 man 2015 class which would has been the smart play. As Dan points out that IW has " one foot out the door " ( I think it's more then that ) we find ourselves with absolutely no backup PG and to make it worse no experienced PG available until early next season due to the JT suspension. I understand the company line that our problem could be solved with an immediately eligible PG but that type of player is highly valued and the competition is fierce and I'm just not sure about our ability to fill that gap with the type of player we need.

Here's what puzzles me. The staff certainly knew that going into the 2015/2016 season there was a distinct possibility that IW would declare for the pros , leaving one experienced PG on the roster in JT a transfer , sitting out a year and no other PG on the roster. Yet, other then Thomas they didn't bring in a PG in their 6 man 2015 class which would has been the smart play. As Dan points out that IW has " one foot out the door " ( I think it's more then that ) we find ourselves with absolutely no backup PG and to make it worse no experienced PG available until early next season due to the JT suspension. I understand the company line that our problem could be solved with an immediately eligible PG but that type of player is highly valued and the competition is fierce and I'm just not sure about our ability to fill that gap with the type of player we need.
No high quality PG was going to commit in the fall with Whitehead entering his sophomore season and Thomas sitting out.

It was one of the reasons Bryce Aiken did not commit to SHU last Oct and instead went to Harvard.

SPK, Bobbie Solo. Look at my post again, looks like my scenario of the situation was correct using logic and common sense. You two posters then attacked me, but Bobbie Solo- you are the one with a real problem (calling me a schizoid), not the 1st time you have personally attacked me. ( another example- are you off your meds today). You need to take a look in the mirror and see a real problem. I do not know how you can make these posts without being warned? Vegas look at your post, I was the one who thought before I posted.

Last edited:
No high quality PG was going to commit in the fall with Whitehead entering his sophomore season and Thomas sitting out.

It was one of the reasons Bryce Aiken did not commit to SHU last Oct and instead went to Harvard.

I keep asking myself why that seems to be an explanation when other BE teams can bring in more then one high quality player at the same position. For example Butler's 2016 class includes top 100 PG Howard Washington and PG Kamar Baldwin who is rated 133 by Rivals and 90 by 24/7. Marquette's 2016 class includes 2 four star freshman small forwards rated in the top 100 in Sam Hauser and Brendan Bailey plus they've just added USC transfer Katin Reinhardt a four star top 50 player coming out of HS at the same position and there are other examples of that and GT, which seems to bring in a high quality center in every class. I'm not doubting what you say but I keep asking myself if other programs can do it why can't we.

SHU already had two top PGs in Whitehead and Thomas (better than most know). No quality point is going to commit early to the Hall with those two underclassmen on the roster

I'm not sure about Gordon. We really need a guy with PG skills for next year if
IW doesn't come back. 2 more years of Carrington, 4 for Powell and then Cale comes in
during 2017. Thomas obviously for next year.

The future looks bright as far as bringing in players for 2017 and 2018. I still am very concerned
that there is no significant frontcourt player coming in to play next year. We still have good players
including Angel, Desi, Ish and Nzei. Desi is the only frontcourt player with a handle or that can hit an outside jumper. So if he goes down for any reason you've lost his dynamic plus NBA talent in IW and Gordon's defense and leadership. I do love the Cale signing for the following season.

I'm not sure about Gordon. We really need a guy with PG skills for next year if
IW doesn't come back. 2 more years of Carrington, 4 for Powell and then Cale comes in
during 2017. Thomas obviously for next year.

The future looks bright as far as bringing in players for 2017 and 2018. I still am very concerned
that there is no significant frontcourt player coming in to play next year. We still have good players
including Angel, Desi, Ish and Nzei. Desi is the only frontcourt player with a handle or that can hit an outside jumper. So if he goes down for any reason you've lost his dynamic plus NBA talent in IW and Gordon's defense and leadership. I do love the Cale signing for the following season.
NYC Pirate, I'll have more direct details on Eron Gordon on the Trove Monday.

Good premium stuff.

Give me the transfer fromDelaware over Gordon

I don't think you could go wrong with either for the long term.

If its between those two, I'd probably opt for the freshman instead. We'll be a bit heavy in the backcourt next year if Whitehead returns, but then will stabilize with a nice blend of classes the year after with Carrington/Thomas (SR), Powell/Gordon (SO), then Cale (FR).

Carrington will play lots of point and do it well. I have been told here that isaiah wasn't a point, and I suggest Khadeen will also play whatever position Isaiah played.

Carrington will play lots of point and do it well. I have been told here that isaiah wasn't a point, and I suggest Khadeen will also play whatever position Isaiah played.
Agree. Its hard to fathom anyone doing what IW did this past season but consider this: the ball in Carrington's hands with the space and freedom that IW had. He will do extremely well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either for the long term.

If its between those two, I'd probably opt for the freshman instead. We'll be a bit heavy in the backcourt next year if Whitehead returns, but then will stabilize with a nice blend of classes the year after with Carrington/Thomas (SR), Powell/Gordon (SO), then Cale (FR).

Still no PG in the picture after Carrington and Thomas leave. You actually have four guards after they leave in Powell, Gordon, Cale and Soffer all SG's and not only no PG but no backup at the point as well. It's one of the reasons that I'm not sure I would use a ship on another SG this year as I don't see it as a need with a PG and legitimate 5 a much higher priority.

Still no PG in the picture after Carrington and Thomas leave. You actually have four guards after they leave in Powell, Gordon, Cale and Soffer all SG's and not only no PG but no backup at the point as well. It's one of the reasons that I'm not sure I would use a ship on another SG this year as I don't see it as a need with a PG and legitimate 5 a much higher priority.

Hoping Duval solves that, LOL!

We are involved with some great 2017 and 2018 PG's. We can bring in a highly rated freshmen PG for the 2018 class. Quality guard depth is very important.

Last edited:
Dan you are hearing good things about Thomas, I assume?

I have followed his career since High School. When he popped for St. John's - as a junior I believe - there was buzz that he was the next top PG from NYC. After that, there have been lots of issues with the kid, leading to the de-commit (which I understand was St. John's call), his time at K-State, the problems at K-St, etc. Always seems to be something with this kid (even the off-the-court issue while sitting out this year). I have some concerns if we are simply turning the keys over to Jevon if Whitehead leaves. Hopefully Carrington does some work on his PG skills as I think he can play at minimum serviceable minutes at that position.

SHU already had two top PGs in Whitehead and Thomas (better than most know). No quality point is going to commit early to the Hall with those two underclassmen on the roster

I have followed his career since High School. When he popped for St. John's - as a junior I believe - there was buzz that he was the next top PG from NYC. After that, there have been lots of issues with the kid, leading to the de-commit (which I understand was St. John's call), his time at K-State, the problems at K-St, etc. Always seems to be something with this kid (even the off-the-court issue while sitting out this year). I have some concerns if we are simply turning the keys over to Jevon if Whitehead leaves. Hopefully Carrington does some work on his PG skills as I think he can play at minimum serviceable minutes at that position.

Hall keeping the whole Thomas situation under wraps. Let's just say he has many, many conditions he needs to fulfill to ever see the floor here. You would think he would have learned his lesson by now.

The most important question involving Thomas may not be what he can give us playing the point for us but can he keep his behavior under control and not get himself dismissed from the team and school. It's one of the reasons I have argued how important it was this year to have a PG added to the roster, preferably one with experience.

Good things about the player? yes. Good things about his character? Well let's just said those at SHU aren't happy with the position he has put the program in.

I don't get why we are letting this trouble maker put us in this position that the Admin/Coaches/Athletic Dept at SHU is "upset" with. And he has a whole bunch of provisions that he MUST meet? Wow.

How about we cut him when he CHOKED someone and then recruit a point guard? Instead we keep him to allow him and IW to hamstring us and who knows if he messes up again or doesn't meet what is required of him? We then lose him?

This kid choked a referee during a game he wasn't even involved in... After he got suspended more than once at KSTATE, lost his starting job and then transferred out and committed to 3 schools while being recruited.

Talk about a friggin headcase.

I wish we would recruit over the top of this Thomas guy as soon as we can and call it a day. All that talent they saw in practice is making them not think straight. He's worthless if he's not playing because of issues plus there is the rust that is forming every day he's gone. I don't like this situation one bit. Very poor. Can you say Keon?

Reactions: shupat08
All of the concerns expressed by a number of posters have about JT are valid points that they have raised .What I have yet to understand is why SH hasn't announced his suspension and for how long it is. While I don't necessarily need to know the details of the conditions he has to meet to remain part of the program by not making any announcement it creates the perception that SH is trying to hide something and leads to the type of speculation that's not good for the program.

All of the concerns expressed by a number of posters have about JT are valid points that they have raised .What I have yet to understand is why SH hasn't announced his suspension and for how long it is. While I don't necessarily need to know the details of the conditions he has to meet to remain part of the program by not making any announcement it creates the perception that SH is trying to hide something and leads to the type of speculation that's not good for the program.[/QUOTE
QUOTE]

There are privacy laws and the University does not have to announce anything. This is a University not a pro team. They could say he is gone from SHU, but they haven't said that, so that tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
There are privacy laws and the University does not have to announce anything. This is a University not a pro team. They could say he is gone from SHU, but they haven't said that, so that tells you all you need to know.
The privacy laws don't prevent announcing suspensions and schools announce them all the time and I don't need anyone telling me what I need to know.

Reactions: Fzacsattac
I wish we would recruit over the top of this Thomas guy as soon as we can and call it a day. All that talent they saw in practice is making them not think straight. He's worthless if he's not playing because of issues plus there is the rust that is forming every day he's gone. I don't like this situation one bit. Very poor. Can you say Keon?
Keon.

Reactions: shupat08
I have to think the team brings in an immediately eligible grad or JC point guard if IW leaves. I really don't see any scenario where the staff relies on JT as the only PG. if they did, even in a best case scenario where he fulfills all his conditions, he's still not eligible until 2nd semester. That means they play the entire OOC (which is a lot more difficult this year) with Khadeen at PG then change everything when Big East starts and JT takes over. IMO, that would not be a good situation. Not only will JT be rusty from 2 years off from NCAA games but it takes quite a while for a team to gel with a new PG. Isaiah took the better part of about 15-20 games before he got comfortable. I love Deeno but don't feel he'd be a good option at PG for anything more than about 10 minutes per game.

If JT stays with the team he has to be considered a backup this year and next and if he is relied on to be a starter, the team is in trouble.

Reactions: SPK145
I think Dan has stated why on the trove and it makes sense
Thanks 03 , I understand that there may be reasons the school is not making a public announcement but it doesn't change my view that being up front is the best course of action.

I am sure if Whitehead was coming back or the staff could bring in a quality PG for this year, Thomas would be off the team. But, Whitehead has us in limbo and the staff cannot recruit a PG or a PF or C for that matter. Therefore, Thomas has to still be in play for next year despite the concern over his behavior.

I don't think this is a matter of the staff being blinded by the talent. It is because there may be no one else to hand the keys over to.

You must be a delicate flower - sorry I offended you. lol
I'm not a delicate flower at all but just someone who feels strongly that if a scholarship athlete acts inappropriately and is suspended that information should be made public and if it isn't I'm going to express my view that it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT