ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden Update

I don't get why we are letting this trouble maker put us in this position that the Admin/Coaches/Athletic Dept at SHU is "upset" with. And he has a whole bunch of provisions that he MUST meet? Wow.

How about we cut him when he CHOKED someone and then recruit a point guard? Instead we keep him to allow him and IW to hamstring us and who knows if he messes up again or doesn't meet what is required of him? We then lose him?

This kid choked a referee during a game he wasn't even involved in... After he got suspended more than once at KSTATE, lost his starting job and then transferred out and committed to 3 schools while being recruited.

Talk about a friggin headcase.
We must walk away from this kid. Don't have to sell our soul ever again.

Reactions: shupat08
I made my thoughts well known after this knucklehead choked a university employee. I don't care how good he is or isn't. Goodbye.

If I remember correctly one of the main reasons KW was hired and one of his key objectives was to repair the reputation of the program which had been seriously damaged by the conduct of the previous head coach and far too many of his players . In the debate and discussion that followed his hiring there was almost a unanimous agreement that taking players with a history of inappropriate behavior served no useful purpose and could come back to bite SH in the butt as it already been shown. Yet here we have a recent incident that effects the team on the basketball court because the player in question has been suspended for the first semester leaving the program with no experienced PG to start the season , assuming , of course that IW doesn't return as well as damaging the program's reputation. I keep asking myself why we would take a risk on such a player given the recent experiences we had with that type of player

I am not saying I disagree. But we watched one of our kids punch a guy in the head and most posters acted like it was an accident. Now we hear the story of a punch in a pickup game and we want to kick him out of school. I don't like anything about the rumored incident, and I want us to be far away from that kind of crap. But I grew up with guys who lost their head in games and swung a fist or two. I trust the staff will make the right decisions.

Most posters did not pretend like it was an accident. Alot of the board was horrified, rightly so.

I am not saying I disagree. But we watched one of our kids punch a guy in the head and most posters acted like it was an accident. Now we hear the story of a punch in a pickup game and we want to kick him out of school. I don't like anything about the rumored incident, and I want us to be far away from that kind of crap. But I grew up with guys who lost their head in games and swung a fist or two. I trust the staff will make the right decisions.

There are several factors , at least in my mind that elevate its seriousness.
JT was reportedly not playing in the game but a spectator .
JT reportedly chocked the player not hit him
JT entered onto the court where he had no legitimate reason to be
JT was the aggressor
JT attacked what I had heard was someone who was acting as a referee not as a player

Past history of the players involved is a factor in giving out benefits of doubt. Gibbs did not have a public history of misbehavior and he also immediately apologized.

Past history of the players involved is a factor in giving out benefits of doubt. Gibbs did not have a public history of misbehavior and he also immediately apologized.
Didn't he get suspended the previous season for one game? He also was clearly the aggressor in the sideline incident with IW. I see your point to an extent as it sounds like JT has a much longer track record of these things, but watching from afar there's always been something about SG that just didn't seem consistent with all the posts about what a great kid he is.

There are several factors , at least in my mind that elevate its seriousness.
JT was reportedly not playing in the game but a spectator .
JT reportedly chocked the player not hit him
JT entered onto the court where he had no legitimate reason to be
JT was the aggressor
JT attacked what I had heard was someone who was acting as a referee not as a player
I am just being a devil's advocate. But, I don't know that any of that is true. I heard accounts of fights and skirmishes at SHU from one side, then from the other and thought that it had to be about 2 different incidents.

He acted poorly on the court many times. We wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I didnt like us taking JT when we did. It was not at a high time in KW's tenure. And I have to see to believe the great reports of him on the court. All I know is that I don't have a clue of what happened, and have seen lots of good guys act like total JOs for a few minutes once in a while.

Last edited:
Seton Hall's silence on the whole JT matter is all you need to know. Most people don't even know that he can't play until I believe sometime around Christmas (give or take a few days either way). I still don't think it's worth the headache but apparently the staff is given him another chance.

Reactions: Pirate64
My son is a very close friend of the referee who was choked. In talking to his friend he has learned that the referee actually harbors no ill will towards JT and thinks that he could have handled the situation better himself. In my mind this does not excuse JT but may be a reason to give him a second chance.

On the Gibbs front, I believe this was a different situation and that Sterling lashed out in frustration and was not intentionally hitting Arch. If you watch the replay it really looks like he is tremendously frustrated and is trying to hit the ball. Unfortunately he connected with both Ajou's and Arch's heads. He immediately apologized and should a tremendous amount of remorse for the incident which showed me he was not a bad guy. I think that after making the shot to win the Villanova game in the tournament and adding the talent we added last year that he thought we were going to have a great year with him as the leader. When the new kids did not defer to him and Sina that led to a lot of problems. Once Sina left I believe that Gibbs felt he was alone on the team and his frustration level increased with every loss. The punch was the culmination of that frustration.

I am just being a devil's advocate. But, I don't know that any of that is true. I heard accounts of fights and skirmishes at SHU from one side, then from the other and thought that it had to be about 2 different incidents.
I tried to factor the probability that there were probably several versions to what happened by using words like reportedly but is what is indisputable is that the appropriate officials at SH found him to be culpable because of the strength of the sanctions that were imposed.

why are we still talking about this months later. A decision has come out and JT is getting another shot.

Reactions: Burnsly
If you go to a place like KState and get suspended numerous times, you have some issues.

Jcalz True Let's talk about recruiting. You are a big Seton Hall fan and deserve to see Seton Hall in the Final Four in the near future.

If you go to a place like KState and get suspended numerous times, you have some issues.
Was he suspended more than once? All I could find was him not travelling to TX for a game for unspecified reasons. Did I miss the other(s)? We have had quite a few kids suspended for games. If I remember right, Fu had to sit out either our season opener or one of the scrimmages for unspecified reasons.

Was he suspended more than once? All I could find was him not travelling to TX for a game for unspecified reasons. Did I miss the other(s)? We have had quite a few kids suspended for games. If I remember right, Fu had to sit out either our season opener or one of the scrimmages for unspecified reasons.

I believe he was suspended during his final year and I was told that he was suspended the year before. Didn't search it up, so that may be incorrect.

KState is also pretty lax re athletes...

Seton,

What about any high risk for bad chemistry in the locker room. The kids we have now are good ones in talent, and character. Sometimes all it takes is one bad character to destroy the good chemistry that we have now.

You know what they say about "one rotten apple." We've had enough of that at SHU.

He actually was dismissed from the team which resulted in him missing a Texas game but he talked himself back on the roster and finished the year out as an active player on the roster . I have never seen the reasons he was dismissed and then reinstated anywhere.

He actually was dismissed from the team which resulted in him missing a Texas game but he talked himself back on the roster and finished the year out as an active player on the roster . I have never seen the reasons he was dismissed and then reinstated anywhere.
I am more wondering if we are being fair or if again we let innuendo get the best of us as we did last year That is really what sparked my comments. Btw, your account of the TX suspension doesn't agree with an account I read in a KS paper. I got the feeling he was never dismissed.

Last edited:
I am more wondering if we are being fair or if again we let innuendo get the best of us as we did last year That is really what sparked my comments. Btw, your account of the TX suspension doesn't agree with an account I read in a KS paper. I got the feeling he was never dismissed.
He was according to Kelli's Robinett 's March 24 , 2015 article in The Kansas City Star on the three K-State player's leaving the program.

But I grew up with guys who lost their head in games and swung a fist or two.
You must have grown up in the burbs. Growing up in da Bronx punches were with brass knuckles and if it was a critical game teams went to the mattresses ala the Coreleones. lol

I'm sorry if I missed it, or if it is Trove information, but can someone summarize JT's status on the team currently. I just read that he is suspended until near Christmas, is that true? It seems there are a lot of inferences as to the outcome, but nobody is saying what exactly it was. Thank you, and if it is trove information, just let me know. I actually tried signing up recently, and the site took my payment information, but I didn't get access. I haven't retried since, anyone else have that issue?

Let's forget about whatever went on at Kansas State. There are plenty of articles and quotes from Bruce Weber and others on Thomas anyone can read and you can draw your own conclusions on what was going on.

It rubs people the wrong way when a scholarship player in his first year at the university sitting out because of the transfer gets into a situation like Thomas did on campus and rightly so. I don't think people are being unfair or basing anything on innuendo. The kid got into an altercation and is suspended from the university. Serious stuff. He has earned the questions and skepticism from the SHU faithful.

Hopefully he'll have the chance to earn respect from everyone.

Long time reader, first time poster. Can we create a separate thread for JT so I can actively ignore it? Only JT and the school will decide his fate and we have no control over that. I'm not considering him when thinking about next year. If he plays and contributes then that is added bonus. I'm eager to hear about Kory's visit today. Anyone know anything about how he spent his time or the pitch we gave him? With TT coming this weekend, this is a very exciting week for the pirates.

Reactions: ironlung75
Why does South Carolina always beat us in recruits when we are in a small list with them. Their coaches know how to either make themselves look really good or knows how to bash the hall...

Who would want to go to South Carolina for hoops? I don't understand.

I'm surprised Whitehead's decision would have any bearing on Holden. If Whitehead came back, Holden would get to practice against a 1st round pick, which you'd think he'd embrace.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjs428 and shupat08
Not surprising but still disappointing and with about a month to go for the IW situation to play out the pool of PG's out there keeps shrinking and makes it tougher to find what we need .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT