Desi
Angel

Three point lineup

Powell
Sandro
Desi
Carrington
Walker

I hope this team goes up tempo at times with pressure trap and press there is finally a roster of depth that is serviceable

Powell and cale could be a starting backcourt at other majors and likely both off bench next season

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Call me crazy but doesn't Powell deserve to start by now? I know its weird to say where but damn

Reactions: SHULaw05
What a nice dilemma for a change...a challenge for our coach to keep every one happy and play as a team while buying into his game plan.

Carrington and Powell will start all year unless some kind of injury happens. It's their job to lose and they earned the minutes and have the experience. The best thing that can happen is that these two players excel. We don't need some kind of mess where freshmen are taking minutes from upperclassmen because of their poor play. Walker and Cale will back up and have to earn their minutes the hard way.

Last edited:
What about Cale? Talented he may be, he doesn't start over Desi/Carrington at the 2/3. Nice problem to have, he eases into freshman year. Doesn't mean he can't get nice minutes.

Wouldn't it be nice if no one averaged over 30 minutes and we had 7 players getting 10+?

Nine man rotation with a lot of options. Gordon, Brodie, Gill spot players. Also good balance between seniors and younger players. Have a feeling that Powell is going to explode this year.

Reactions: garyshu71
I still think Walker has to be the lead guard. Carrington is a stud at the 2 where he can slash or shoot the 3. He is not a PG.

Nine man rotation with a lot of options. Gordon, Brodie, Gill spot players. Also good balance between seniors and younger players. Have a feeling that Powell is going to explode this year.
Yes, no one is talking about Powell or Carrington getting better over the summer. They know what Willard expects of them and are working hard to meet his goals. I doubt they are thinking minutes. I think they are thinking advancing in the NCAA's.

jordan will be very good and is the pg of the future. His time will come, but it won't be next year.

Carrington
Powell
Desi
Ish
Delgado

I expect the staff will start Carrington. However, I see that Walker will play minimally 20 minutes at PG. Carrington will play another 10 at 2G

2G Powell starts and plays 25 minutes a game there. There are a few minutes left over where Cale can grab some minutes here, maybe up to 5 minutes.

SF. Desi will play 30 minutes here and Cale will get the remaining 10 minutes

PF. Ish starts especially unless he is hurt. He will play 25-30 minutes a game. The remaining minutes will be fought by Nzei and Mamu.

C Delgado will play 32 minutes. Remaining 8 minutes will go to either Nzei or Mamu.

However, I can see Walker playing so well, that he becomes the starter pushing Carrington to the 2G position. Quite frankly, I hope we press more. Therefore, more minutes can be spread among the guards.

Carrington is the 1, barring anything significant.
Along with Powell, Desi, Ish, Angel.
Maybe Cale pushes Powell for his spot. Maybe Nzei pushes Ish. I doubt it for experience's sake or fit (for the latter).

I could be way off but I'm not expecting walker to play more than 10 minutes a game.

Last edited:
If we go by the last 3 seasons there should be minutes for the younger guys. Desi will yell at the coach r take a few plays off on defense and get yanked giving Cale some minutes. Because of depth, Angel wont have to play scared of fouling out and will acquire more fouls and spend more time on the bench giving Sandro more minutes. We will also play some 3 guard lineups giving Walker minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2timealum
Why are people saying Khadeen is gonna run the point. He is not a point guard, period.

My starting 5 is arguably the best 5 the Hall has. And yes. No 1 is saying that Carrington is Curry or Rondo or even Andre Barrett, but he's the senior and Walker is gonna have to earn his playing time as you would expect any newcomer. You can't just start someone just because. You're asking for trouble that way

No one is saying he is a point guard but we have no other option at this point. Walker isn't ready.

Why are people saying Khadeen is gonna run the point. He is not a point guard, period.
Because that's what KW is telling everyone at this juncture. That Deeno is his point and will play major minutes there.

I love that approach. Puts less pressure on a freshmen who will have ample opportunity to earn more PT.

When Walker is ready he'll get his chance. But I doubt it will happen as soon as many here believe.

Bottom line, this team has given Willard a lot of options and that's a great thing to have.

Khadeen
Powell
Desi
Ish
Delgado

That's a great lineup. 4 people who can really fill it up. We don't have a conventional pg but I'm ok with that. Walker isn't good enough "yet" to regulate Powell to the bench.

Khadeen, Walker, Gordon
Powell, Khadeen, Cale
Desi, Cale
Ish, Mike, Sando
Delgado, Sandro, Brodie

Willard has options so he can either matchup with other teams or create matchup problems for other teams. We know our seniors can defend at an elite level. I want to see Powell and Sandro be effective defenders. This is a very versatile team that can defend, rebound, and shoot the 3. My two areas of concern are defense from certain people and ball handling.

Up 1, shot clock turned off, we have the ball, opponents are going for a steal, if they don't get the steal then they are going to foul. Who is on the floor?

Cale will see plenty of time. He may be our best explosive player behind desi. He will see plenty of time. He is the guy I'm most excited to see play this year.

Cale will see plenty of time. He may be our best explosive player behind desi. He will see plenty of time. He is the guy I'm most excited to see play this year.
I don't think we can say that with any certainty. We have never seen the kid play a college game. Delaware hs bball is a far cry from the BigEast. I know he looks great in highlight tapes but I can show you some highlight tapes that make Eron Gordon look like the second coming of lebron.

Cale's length will be seen in his rebounding and defense. The other end of the floor is just as important. He can earn minutes by being a stopper. We have plenty of people who can shoot it. But we have been winning with defense and I think Cale will give us a lot of that. HEY, GO PIRATES!!!!!!

Reactions: Section112
Khadeen, Walker, Gordon
Powell, Khadeen, Cale
Desi, Cale
Ish, Mike, Sando
Delgado, Sandro, Brodie

Willard has options so he can either matchup with other teams or create matchup problems for other teams. We know our seniors can defend at an elite level. I want to see Powell and Sandro be effective defenders. This is a very versatile team that can defend, rebound, and shoot the 3. My two areas of concern are defense from certain people and ball handling.

I may be a lone voice on this but I could see Sandro get time at the SF position.

What a wonderful predicament..who's starting, how many minutes, change line ups, press...nice problem for Willard, but not easy.. long time coming.
Have to worry about keeping all happy, chemistry and buying in to share the ball.

Sandro at the 3?? Desi is going to play 30 mins? What about Cale? Sandro won't be able to guard any 3's in the conf

Cale's length will be seen in his rebounding and defense. The other end of the floor is just as important. He can earn minutes by being a stopper. We have plenty of people who can shoot it. But we have been winning with defense and I think Cale will give us a lot of that. HEY, GO PIRATES!!!!!!
I have a feeling that Cale will be a lot like Desi early on. Great athlete, excellent in the open floor but maybe he might struggle a little from the arc.

That said none of my opinions are from seeing him live. Can't wait to get a better feel from our young players in pre-season practice.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Sandro at the 3?? Desi is going to play 30 mins? What about Cale? Sandro won't be able to guard any 3's in the conf

I'm curious if we use Sandro at the 5. Sandro at the 5 allows us to play extremely fast. Full out sprints for 2-3 minutes at a time. Then use the depth.

Reactions: mjs429
I've asked this question a few times and never got the answer.
When Angel comes out of the game, who is guarding their 4 and who is guarding their 5?

Call me crazy but doesn't Powell deserve to start by now? I know its weird to say where but damn
I think this lineup has the talent to start developing a penetration game instead of working the weave for the first 20 seconds . Between Powell and Walker driving and even Dezi driving, it would force the defense to converge inwards leaving the outside 3's open for the shooters. Last year defenses came up to the 3 point line to guard us knowing that we had no inside presence. I would love to see Powell and Walker together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT