ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk lineups

I think this lineup has the talent to start developing a penetration game instead of working the weave for the first 20 seconds . Between Powell and Walker driving and even Dezi driving, it would force the defense to converge inwards leaving the outside 3's open for the shooters. Last year defenses came up to the 3 point line to guard us knowing that we had no inside presence. I would love to see Powell and Walker together.
I saw almost the opposite. The defense was almost always converged inwards last year.
Angel Delgado was the inside presence. He was doubled and the defense collapsed. The defense sagged daring Ish/Nzei and Madison to hit a jumper. The sagging defense also limited driving.

I think both KC and Walker pose more of a threat from 3 than Madison, which should cause the driving lanes and space for Angel to open up a little but defenders will still be able to sag off of Ish/Nzei barring a mid range game development from them.

The question will be is how much Carrington improves at the point. There's a big difference between anticipating what it takes (last offseason) to knowing what it now takes this offseason.

Madison Jones gave us 31 MPG last season in conference games. I think Jordan Walker will surprise, but not to that extent.

I've asked this question a few times and never got the answer.
When Angel comes out of the game, who is guarding their 4 and who is guarding their 5?

I think Mamu is going to come in for Delgado and Nzei will come in at the 4 for Ish. I don't expect it, but if Brodie surprises, you will see him at the 5 and Nzei and Mamu will fight for time at the 4.

I am anxious to see what Sandro can give us as far as talent and as far as what positions he'll back up.

Not many players can back up the 3, 4 and 5. Can Mamu?

I am anxious to see what Sandro can give us as far as talent and as far as what positions he'll back up.

Is there any chance, as he develops his game and his body in the weightroom, Mamu becomes a better Kevin Pittsnogle type? That guy was a tough matchup for just about everybody.

Yes. No secret that I believe that he can play the three as well as the 4 & 5. In fact I would rate his best positions in this order: 4 , 3 , and then the 5.

Body wise yes. Obviously a little taller and if he stays in the weight room maybe just as strong.

But Teague had the eye of the tiger and that will be a must for Brodie to max his talent.

Reactions: shufan24

Yea I think he can be back-up at the 3. He needs to get stronger on defense but give him a year playing with Angel and he will be ready by his second year.

Brodie seems similar to a Eugene Teague type?

I wish they would redshirt Brodie if all our bigs stay healthy but that won't happen. I think it would help him get adjusted to the college game.

I want Manuel, Carey, a true point, and a three-point shooting wing that can slash to the basket for 2018. Lol

Reactions: deheremike
Manuel and King would be perfect for 2018. Where do we sign? Lol!!

You only start freshmen if you have average upper classmen or like IW ,the guy is a national star.

Anthony Avent, one of our greats, came off the bench as a freshman.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
So did Jerry Walker as a prop 48 sophomore.

The roster situation obviously dictates your PT.

Lineups will depend on matchups and on who is earning the time on the court. For the first time in a long time we have legitimate players on the bench to push all of the starters.

Also for the first time in a while we will have the ability to put 5 legitimate scoring options on the floor at the same time without having to play anyone out of position. Won't that be a treat!

Anthony Avent was also Prop 48. Came off bench as a Sophomore on 89 team.

What a wonderful predicament..who's starting, how many minutes, change line ups, press...nice problem for Willard, but not easy.. long time coming.
Have to worry about keeping all happy, chemistry and buying in to share the ball.
I may be a lone voice on this but I could see Sandro get time at the SF position.
I agree, there will be some appropriate situations/match-ups where he could play the SF. I think the same about Powell too.

I wish they would redshirt Brodie if all our bigs stay healthy but that won't happen. I think it would help him get adjusted to the college game.

I want Manuel, Carey, a true point, and a three-point shooting wing that can slash to the basket for 2018. Lol

Posters tend use the redshirt as a Minor League system of sorts. It's not that easy. Most kids do not want to RS.

Further, the RS season always sounds good, but unless it's a special situation the best way to develop is to be active. Not everyone on the team is going to play 30MPG for 4 years, so there's ample time for player development.

The RS season isn't a given to work either. Plenty of examples where it does not.

Reactions: mjs429
You only start freshmen if you have average upper classmen or like IW ,the guy is a national star.

Anthony Avent, one of our greats, came off the bench as a freshman.
Avent was a prop 48. He had to sit out his freshman year. But you're right, he backed up Ramos in his first year.

Piratz,

You're right - most kids don't want to use it, but should. If you're not going to see significant mins as a freshman than I think it's more valuable to use it than lose it.

Example - Eron Gordon played 4mpg & averaged 1ppg. IMO, he wasted one year of eligibility. You can't tell me he gained valuable playing experience with those numbers. Why not practice and improve your game for a year ? Who wouldn't want to be in college an extra year?

Piratz,

You're right - most kids don't want to use it, but should. If you're not going to see significant mins as a freshman than I think it's more valuable to use it than lose it.

Example - Eron Gordon played 4mpg & averaged 1ppg. IMO, he wasted one year of eligibility. You can't tell me he gained valuable playing experience with those numbers. Why not practice and improve your game for a year ? Who wouldn't want to be in college an extra year?
What % off NCAA Football players redshirt?? Same effect, only much more needed in football. The first round pick from Cedar Grove high school red shirted his first year at Miami and played two and was a 1st round pick. The problem with hoops is that two many show up with NBA aspirations when they have no chance. They don't think they need to waste that year.

Reactions: mjs429
Can't believe I'm not including Delgado.

Carrington
Powell
Desi
Ish
Nzei

Hoping Ish can stay healthy next year. Maybe get Sandro ready for starting spot too?

That lineup gives me no hope. Desi would be the only above average player at his position.

We need thorpe. We need KC to be top tier SG. We need desi at the 4 so we can use our deep talented guards.

Thorpe walker
KC Powell
Cale Desi
Desi Ish
Nzei Sandro

We are losing a lot on offence without Angel. Ish and Nzei cant score even a little. Sandro is young and Brodie is a 12th man.

The rebounding is the killer. Angel made his living there on both sides because his
defense was suspect and his offensive rating was just 3rd on team.

We'll be different.

My early thought is need KC and Desi at their power positions. Really adds stress on this PG situation so KC can stay at power spot.

But I would think something like this:

Carrington
Powell
Rodriguez
Sanogo
Nzei

Rookies galore off bench in Sandro, Cale, Walker. Brodie a wild card.

Can't believe I'm not including Delgado.

Carrington
Powell
Desi
Ish
Nzei

Hoping Ish can stay healthy next year. Maybe get Sandro ready for starting spot too?
Pray we don't see a lot of this lineup. Nzei and Ish on the floor at the same time if a recipe for an offensive disaster.

Reactions: SHUMike
Time to check every name that's still out there or comes out whether it be a transfer, a JUCO or a foreign player we need to add an offensive big to this roster.

If the team plays anything close to the player's past performance or press clippings, then Willard will be dictating the match-up problems for other the other team in most games. An area of concern might be if they played a team that played D like the havoc Smart had at VCU.

Excited to see how Ish has worked on his 15 footer! Willard should give him the green light to shoot it now that we have plenty of shots available and need to re-work our offensive game plan.

The rebounding is the killer. Angel made his living there on both sides because his
defense was suspect and his offensive rating was just 3rd on team.

We'll be different.

My early thought is need KC and Desi at their power positions. Really adds stress on this PG situation so KC can stay at power spot.

But I would think something like this:

Carrington
Powell
Rodriguez
Sanogo
Nzei

Rookies galore off bench in Sandro, Cale, Walker. Brodie a wild card.

Even before the Delgato bombshell, I had already assumed a lot of small ball with three guard sets. You have to find minutes for Powell and Cale, they are just too talented to sit. I also wouldn't forget about Gordon.

As such, without Delgato that would mean Ish has to stay stay healthy and play at least 20 minutes a game. Nzei also would have to play at least 20 minutes a game. Preferably not all at the same time.

Can Mamu, Gill and Brodie play 30 minutes between them? While I don;'t like the thought of so many freshman on the floor at the same time, what other choice do we have?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT