ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville

radecicco

All World
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2013
Donovan Mitchel on playing at Louisville:

"Because at Louisville you don’t step on the floor unless you play defense.”

Sound familiar? He's declared for the NBA draft so we won't see him on December 9.

Played 2 guard in college but will play point in the NBA. Hmmm. Knicks want him.

Reactions: joeseton49
Its no secret that only the best defenders play in the nba. Its a huge misconception to think nba is only offense.

Not much you can do to stop LeBron and Kyrie when they're both on fire.
Boston can't score. Thomas or no Thomas, they can't outscore LBJ, Kyrie and Love. Even Deron Williams was hot last night. I'm just happy the Celts won a game and didn't get swept. Now they need to draft Fultz and go get Haywood.

The NBA is a joke. Awful style of basketball, very little defense, all entertainment and individual-centric marketing to build up the stars. Very little team concept.

Reactions: catholicman
You are not serious, are you?
Have you come to sling me a bunch of BS? Just go for it. Go for it my man. You have an open forum to spit your ignorance. Whatever you do please please PLEASE do not tell me college basketball has better defense. You can say all other heinous arguments but not that one.

The NBA is a joke. Awful style of basketball, very little defense, all entertainment and individual-centric marketing to build up the stars. Very little team concept.
The players in the NBA are so good and with the new rule not allowing much defensive contact many are nearly unstoppable.

Plus because of free agency the best players are now going to the same teams ruining any semblance of competitive balance.

The two finalist lost a total of one game in the first three rounds going 24-1. That's ridiculous.

You watched the cavs first quarter last night and think they have no team concept?

I was in Cleveland and watched the first game of the series. I commented to the Cavs fan sitting next to me that Lebron was actually sharing the ball and playing very good team ball. If he does that and the other Cleveland weapons are on forget about it.

Can Cavaliers-Warriors trilogy save boring NBA playoffs?
By Justin Terranova

May 26, 2017 | 4:00am

One series — one game even — can change a lot of memories.

The 2016 playoffs were as ho-hum as it gets — it even had more 20-point blowouts (24 to 18) than this year’s tepid postseason. But you don’t remember Miami 106, Charlotte 73 in Game 7 of their first-round series. No, you remember LeBron James’ chase-down block and an epic Game 7 of the NBA Finals that made way for the perfect summer of Warriors blowing 3-1 lead jokes.

“You forget all the blowouts that happened prior to that,” ESPN/ABC play-by-play man Mike Breen said. “It went to seven games and had the big comeback in Game 7. We were talking about the same thing [how boring the playoffs have been] at the same time last year.”

The Cavaliers, who finished off the Celtics, 135-102, in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals Thursday night, and Warriors will have to save us again because — despite ratings being up this season — it has been quite boring.

“It’s hard because you want competitive games,” said Breen, who will be calling his 12th NBA Finals, alongside Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy. “Injuries have been a part of why the games have been non-competitive. Some teams have lost some key players who could have made an enormous difference — whether it’s whether it’s Blake Griffin, Kawhi Leonard.

“There’s nothing you could do about it. The thing is what we’ve lacked in close, thrilling finishes, we’ve had some unbelievable individual performances. And sometimes you can take as much enjoyment out of that, watching a guy just completely carve up a team and destroy them by 25 because he’s putting up just an epic performance. Sometimes those are almost as fun as a buzzer beater.”

The matchup begins Thursday night in Oakland, Calif. and is the first time two teams have met in three straight NBA Finals. Cavs-Warriors features a legitimate rivalry with Golden State star Draymond Green and James having several disagreements on and off the court.

Green’s one-game suspension for a foul against James opened the door for the Cavaliers, who won Game 5 at Golden State without Green and went on to win the series.

The Warriors responded to the disappointment by signing Kevin Durant this offseason and went from a team that broke the regular season wins record to one threatening a postseason mark. If the Warriors could somehow sweep the Finals, they would be the first team to go through the playoffs undefeated — after sweeping through the Blazers, Jazz and Spurs in the Western Conference.

“They are the best offensive team I’ve ever seen,” Breen said. “You have these two MVPs in Steph Curry and Durant and add [Klay] Thompson, so there’s three of the best scorers in the game. You add in their defensive tenacity and commitment, and they are one of the best defensive teams in the league right now… They’re a team that doesn’t have many weaknesses, if any at all. They are downright scary.”

But the Cavaliers have James. The Cavaliers also have Kyrie Irving, whose Game 7 shot last year decided the championship, and Kevin Love with a year of Finals experience.

“LeBron James and four other guys are going to give anybody some problems the way he has been playing, which is perhaps the best all-around basketball of his career,” Breen said. “He just wants to win titles. For him to win the one that perhaps meant the most to him last season and to come back just as hungry just shows you what he wants to do and what is No. 1 on his agenda… He wants to win as many titles and he wants to be considered the greatest to ever play this game. And right now, he’s on course for both of them.”

The players in the NBA are so good and with the new rule not allowing much defensive contact many are nearly unstoppable.

Plus because of free agency the best players are now going to the same teams ruining any semblance of competitive balance.

The two finalist lost a total of one game in the first three rounds going 24-1. That's ridiculous.

On top of what you noted on the rules changes, add style of play into the conversation. With the heavy emphasis (and proficiency) of the 3pt shot, you see a lot of spreading of the floor. Defenders are forced to stay home on the shooters, thus unable to provide help. No clutching/grabbing/hand-checks + bunch of shooters spread around the perimeter = wide open driving lanes. Some of these guys were really tough to stop before rules changes and style of play shift. Now? Good luck...

If you wanna argue how its become stupid with super teams (always sort of has) or they need to put a lid on the james harden 3 pt rip through thats fine. Dont knock the defense. So many posters here are stuck watching CBB where they think habitually missing wide open shots means good defense. The best teams play the best defense as do the best players. Lebron, Khawi, Harden(yea check out his D proficiency this year).

The finals is about to be crazy, unfortunately there was no reason to play a minute of the regular or post season to have this matchup. Things will change cause less people will be a coward like durant. If you think about it, the cavs arent even a super team. Lebron is just that good.

You are doing a huge disservice to how good these guys are offensively if you believe no defense is being played. These guys don't miss and when the top players are hot they are unguardable, no matter how good the defense played on them is.

Boston can't score. Thomas or no Thomas, they can't outscore LBJ, Kyrie and Love. Even Deron Williams was hot last night. I'm just happy the Celts won a game and didn't get swept. Now they need to draft Fultz and go get Haywood.

I live up in Boston. Consensus among the fans here is to draft Fultz and not trade the pick for Butler or George. Even with a Butler or George, this team isn't good enough to beat the Cavs.

They have an interesting decision to make with Thomas, Bradley, and Smart over the next few years. They're not going to be able to keep all three and with Fultz in the fold it'll be a crowded back court.

Can you really pay a 5'6 point guard $40 mill/year on average if he qualifies for the super max extension from ages 29-34? I know I wouldn't.

I was in Cleveland and watched the first game of the series. I commented to the Cavs fan sitting next to me that Lebron was actually sharing the ball and playing very good team ball. If he does that and the other Cleveland weapons are on forget about it.
That is Lebron's game. He is an excellent passer and at times gets criticized for being too passive. I rarely hear him being criticized for being too aggressive.

This concept of super teams is not new... Boston played the lakers in the finals 6 times in 8 years during the 60's. Everyone new at the beginning of the year it was going to be Cavs vs Warriors just like they knew it was going to be boston vs lakers back then.

I think these finals are must watch tv. Using nike's slogan "Witness".. just enjoy. We're watching one of the best players ever play one of the most talented and dominate teams ever.

On top of what you noted on the rules changes, add style of play into the conversation. With the heavy emphasis (and proficiency) of the 3pt shot, you see a lot of spreading of the floor. Defenders are forced to stay home on the shooters, thus unable to provide help. No clutching/grabbing/hand-checks + bunch of shooters spread around the perimeter = wide open driving lanes. Some of these guys were really tough to stop before rules changes and style of play shift. Now? Good luck...
No question. And then you add the pick and roll and the game is a tough watch unless you have a rooting interest or just love pro BB.

I think BB players are the best all around athletes in any major sport in the world. Many are just absolute freaks.

If you wanna argue how its become stupid with super teams (always sort of has) or they need to put a lid on the james harden 3 pt rip through thats fine. Dont knock the defense. So many posters here are stuck watching CBB where they think habitually missing wide open shots means good defense. The best teams play the best defense as do the best players. Lebron, Khawi, Harden(yea check out his D proficiency this year).

The finals is about to be crazy, unfortunately there was no reason to play a minute of the regular or post season to have this matchup. Things will change cause less people will be a coward like durant. If you think about it, the cavs arent even a super team. Lebron is just that good.
You might not classify The Cavs as a Super Team, but their Big 3 are as good as anybody's...

No question. And then you add the pick and roll and the game is a tough watch unless you have a rooting interest or just love the pro BB.

I think BB players are the best all around athletes in any major sport in the world. Many are just absolute freaks.

I think the biggest rule change the NBA has to make is to get rid of these ridiculous moving screens. It makes it impossible for a defender to stay with their man. If you watch Tristan Thompson set a screen, he looks like the lead blocker on a running play in the NFL. That would at least swing the power a little bit back to the defensive side of the ball.

No question. And then you add the pick and roll and the game is a tough watch unless you have a rooting interest or just love the pro BB.

Hockey players can contend, as they go through some crazy physical punishment and do their whole sport ON SKATES. its crazy to think of some of the movements they can do on ice. people take the skating aspect for granted

You might not classify The Cavs as a Super Team, but their Big 3 are as good as anybody's...
Love is debatable. I never was a fan of his pre cavs, but now i think people give him too much guff. But, the cavs drafted 2 of those 3 so...

And the only reason people even bring this up is because the NBA only puts out 5 players. Every championship team in every sports forever has won because they have the best players. like what is new with this concept???

The Warriors Big 3 is better. Problem is they don't have anyone that can stop LeBron who is in a class by himself.

Durant and James only two big players that were ufa signings all others on both teams mostly draft picks or trades or vet minimum signing/buyout guy

Nah Dan, football players are , my buddy plays for Houston, they bust their @ss and take hard hits and keep on moving

You have seen the offensive lineman and the defensive nose guards right? :eek::eek::eek:

Can't take just the best of the best. Gotta go with everyone on the roster. :D:D:D

Reactions: Shuathelete
You have seen the offensive lineman and the defensive nose guards right? :eek::eek::eek:

Can't take just the best of the best. Gotta go with everyone on the roster. :D:D:D
My buddy plays LB, but Dan believe it or not those OL and Nose guards are faster and stronger than you think, I was on the field a few times for warmups and them boys are BIG and for their size can move.. and again you gotta remember the beating they take each week and have to come back quick

They may be fast for their size, and I won't even get into how men can weigh in the vicinity of 350 lbs and still move around on a FB field, but I just can't look at guys with guts dripping over their belts and think they're superior athletes.

I'll give you the track stars playing receiver and defensive backs. And the linebackers too. Many of them are freakishly talented. But roster for roister I'll still take the BB players.

but im talking about the stamina and hits they endure that they get back up from, 60 mins of hits and those guts dont hold em back or down

but im talking about the stamina and hits they endure that they get back up from, 60 mins of hits and those guts dont hold em back or down
How many minutes of actual playing time? Nba nhl and soccer move for the entire time

true they do, but they do not get smashed like these guys do, they are all great athletes but NFL players bodies go thru a ringer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT