ADVERTISEMENT

March Tweets

Gotta love contract escalators falling into place on days when you didn't play a game

The day I knew Hurkey was special....

He had recently taken over the Rhode Island job and had a roster of lower level mid major players. I attended a neutral site game in Conn Nov 18, 2013 where Hurley was matched up against Willard.

Rhode Island slowed the game down milking the clock and led for just about the entirety of the game with that tactic. One of the reasons it worked so well was because Willard played a zone for most of the game allowing Rhode Island to just hold the ball shortening the game.

I sat close enough to the SHU bench to hear his staff plead for him to change to a man for man. With about 7 minutes left in the game Willard took their advice and if memory serves Rhode Island hit one more basket from the field with the Hall dominating and winning 60-55.

Hurley's team should have lost that game by 20+ points (8-21 that year). But he used a strategy that not only kept the game close but one where he led most of the game.

It probably killed Hurly to use that style of play. But as a great coach he did what he had to do with what he had available.

Now with quality players he no longer has to adapt. He forces the opposition to adapt to him.

Danny Hurley is not liked by a lot of his peers. But there is absolutely no doubt he has 100% of their respect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT