ADVERTISEMENT

McDermott & Creighton

I NEVER thought he was gonna leave. I thought he was an obvious choice for OSU. But I always thought he was at CU for the long haul. Hope I am right. He may not be Jay but he is a terrific coach and a good man as I see him, an appropriate dean of BE coaches.

Lots of rumors Ohio State is going to make a run at him (apparently the runner-up last time) or Sean Miller.

Pastures aren't always "greener", even if the money mostly certain is for some of these guys. Buzz obviously built off Crean's success and had Marquette doing well, even though his last year was his worst there. Overall I thought he did pretty well at Va Tech and left on a high-note, but A&M as you point out hasn't gone as he imagined no doubt.

Ohio state is not a job worth taking. Lifetime contract means nothing. Just an insurance policy for McDermott to do right by the school and get them a hefty buyout payment when and if he does decide to leave

Only BIG schools that would be an upgrade from Creighton and could have openings in the next few years are Michigan and Michigan State when Juwan gets fired and if Izzo decides to retire in the next 2-3 seasons

McDermott would likely have his eye on blue bloods. I see three that would make sense.

Kentucky: does Cal go the Jay Wright route and retire Early? Cal makes $8Mil. Creighton can’t compete.

Kansas: Bill Self has heart issues. How long does he decide to continue to coach. McDermott would be a plug and play candidate here. Top fit for both parties IMO. Self is making over $6M this year

UNC: Trending further unlikely. Rumors that Hubert Davis was on the hot seat after last season, but he’s bounced back very well this year. Davis is making just under $3M

Reactions: Merge
Remember, Greg McDermott once resigned from Iowa State when he heard the you're in "you're fired."

I suspect that McDermott is happy at Creighton and realizes he doesn't need to chase every last dollar somewhere else. The grass isn't always greener.

As it is, Creighton was a step back from ISU back in 2010 even if they've long been a successful program.

It's not a blue blood job but plenty of coaches have made nice livings for many years at schools like Creighton.

Isn't McDermott near the bottom of BE HC salary? Good for him and I can see why he would want to stay. Great support, NIL funds and his recruiting strategy has kept them in the top third of the league.

My guess is that he will be able to own a plantation with this new contract.
lol. Good one

Reactions: HALL85
Ohio state is not a job worth taking. Lifetime contract means nothing. Just an insurance policy for McDermott to do right by the school and get them a hefty buyout payment when and if he does decide to leave

Only BIG schools that would be an upgrade from Creighton and could have openings in the next few years are Michigan and Michigan State when Juwan gets fired and if Izzo decides to retire in the next 2-3 seasons

McDermott would likely have his eye on blue bloods. I see three that would make sense.

Kentucky: does Cal go the Jay Wright route and retire Early? Cal makes $8Mil. Creighton can’t compete.

Kansas: Bill Self has heart issues. How long does he decide to continue to coach. McDermott would be a plug and play candidate here. Top fit for both parties IMO. Self is making over $6M this year

UNC: Trending further unlikely. Rumors that Hubert Davis was on the hot seat after last season, but he’s bounced back very well this year. Davis is making just under $3M

I think McDermott is a fantastic coach personally, but I don't think he has the personality/cachet/gravitas (whatever you want to call it) to be the head man at a blue blood. He's also 60 years old at the start of next season.

I think McDermott is a fantastic coach personally, but I don't think he has the personality/cachet/gravitas (whatever you want to call it) to be the head man at a blue blood. He's also 60 years old at the start of next season.
I agree. I don’t see him moving on or being the top option for a blue blood, but I don’t rule it out if a succession plan isn’t in place in the instance of health/something unexpected or if a successor to the legend fails. McDermott gives some stability in those instances and he makes 5-10M per year for a 5-6 season venture

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Ohio State has had five coaching vacancies since the Big East formed in 1979. Three of them came from the Big East and a fourth (Thad Matta) came from Xavier, which wasn't in the Big East at the time. Seems very likely they will target McDermott and Miller, among others.

Doesn't seem likely but I wonder if Ohio State has though about Matta coming back? He's actually three years younger than McDermott, though he has had health issues.

Money talks. Cooley and Willard are prime examples. If i were a college coach I would want to be in a football school for security and cash.

Doesn't seem likely but I wonder if Ohio State has though about Matta coming back? He's actually three years younger than McDermott, though he has had health issues.
Matta isn’t leaving Butler anytime soon. Its his retirement job and he loves the school and doesnt need the money.

Money talks. Cooley and Willard are prime examples. If i were a college coach I would want to be in a football school for security and cash.

I'm sure he has no security at all at $3M per (with a raise upcoming, for sure).

Tony Awards GIF by Entertainment GIFs

Last edited:
Reactions: shufan24
Without being in his head, I think a factor with McDermott is that he's already done the Power 5/football school route, and had a tough time at Iowa State, only to resurrect his career at Creighton. He may have scratched that itch.

Matta's done a good job at Butler this year and has a terrific resume, but I think the health issues are the barrier there.

Sean Miller would make a ton of sense there though. People don't like him, I get it, but he's a good coach who has succeeded at a power school and will recruit tons of talent to Ohio State.

It's a fair point, but fit also matters. McD sucked at Iowa State. Maybe Creighton is part of the reason for his success now?
I think there are so many coaches who do not realize the extent to which their success at a particular institution is driven by it being the right fit. Not always; some coaches can win anywhere. Some are just the right person for that place where they are and the secret sauce does not follow them to the next stop.

Creighton is a better program in a better conference!
I think it's correct to say that one big disadvantage of playing basketball in the Big Ten is the lack of a path to the national championship. It seems strange to say this about such a prestigious conference, but starting from the day I graduated high school, when I was 18, the Big Ten has one exactly one national championship. I am currently 53 years old.

And even that title came in the century previous to this one, which is nearly one-quarter complete, at least per the reasoning of the U.S. Naval Observatory Astronomical Observations Department. So, it's actually unreasonable to imagine that coaching or playing at Ohio State gives one a likely path to the national championship.

Program versus program is actually closer than I imagined, too. Ohio State has more appearances, Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights, Final Fours, and titles than Creighton, but aside from their lopsided advantage in Final Fours, it's competitive. Now, Final Fours are hugely significant, but none of Ohio State's have come in the last ten years, and the vast majority of them were previous to my lifetime. In the past ten years, Creighton has clearly been the superior program, so they get a bump from their more recent, relevant success.

So I think this is an arguable claim.

I didn’t hear it that way. What is he supposed to say?

Selfishly I hope it is a distraction for the next 48 hours though…
While I partially agree and I'm sure it's not the sort of question he gets asked on a regular basis, it is interesting how similar it is to this Cooley quote shortly before taking the Georgetown job.

Reactions: shu09
Isn't McDermott near the bottom of BE HC salary? Good for him and I can see why he would want to stay. Great support, NIL funds and his recruiting strategy has kept them in the top third of the league.

My guess is that he will be able to own a plantation with this new contract.
The way Pitino was dressed when they played, he may have been auditioning for a lead role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT