ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day - The bravest of us all

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
920x920.jpg

Reactions: TomD82 and Seton75
May God Bless Those Who Gave Their Lives Protecting Our Freedoms!

God Bless America.

Here's the man I admire the most in American history- Ulysses S. Grant. I highly recommend his memoirs.

grant.jpg_1097337557.jpg

One of our own.

2nd Lt Brian D. Conlan- SHU '65

Brian was born in Orange, NJ and raised in South Orange, NJ. He attended Our Lady of Sorrows in South Orange, NJ for primary and middle school. The Football Team at Our Lady of Sorrows has a "Most Valuable Player Award" named in honor of Brian. He completed high school at St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark. Finally, He closed out his academic career at Seton Hall's South Orange Campus in 1965 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Studies. While at Seton Hall, Brian was active in athletics and numerous clubs. He played soccer and wrestled for the University. He was a member of the Booster Club, the St.Thomas More Pre-Legal Society and the Setonian Film Society. Brian also joined the Triphibian Guard Varsity Club. This was a short lived (1959 –1970) organization which competed with the Pershing Rifles Drill Team on the Seton Hall Campus.

When Brian arrived for the 38th Officer Candidate Course at Quantico, VA in early October of 1965, he was assigned to the 2nd Platoon of Delta Company. At The Basic School, Brian was assigned to the 1st Platoon of Delta Company. Brian was serving as a platoon commander (MOS 0302) with India Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines when he died. On the morning of January 25, 1967, his company had been tasked with sweeping approximately 2500 meters east from its overnight position into a grid square approximately 6 kilometers north-north-west of Hoi An to establish a new Company Patrol Base within 2 kilometers of the South China Sea. At 08:45 Brian tripped a suspected ChiCom grenade bobby-trap. He suffered mortal fragmentation wounds to his abdomen and left leg. An emergency medevac was called, but Brian succumbed to his wounds enroute to the medical facilities at the Naval Support Activity, Danang. The incident which resulted in his death occurred in Quang Nam Province (BT 108627).

Brian was returned to New Jersey and laid to rest in the family plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery at 125 Central Avenue, East Orange, NJ 07018. His grave is found in Section G, Lot 12, Grave 2.

Rest in Peace.

Reactions: mbraue and Halldan1
Had the pleasure of meeting Brian during my frosh year at SH. Our Class ('68) started a Memorial from part of the costs to attend Senior weekend (Friday prom & Saturday concert by The Hapenings)) to honor Brian and any other SH grads who might lose their lives serving their country.

PS - lost an uncle in WWII who won the Medal of Honor. Was a world class athlete who graduated from Georgetown, who named an annual award after him. Had a cousin win it in the early 60s , so to avoid family pressure I chose SH over Gtwn & BC and never regretted that decision.

Last edited:
One of our own.

Brian was born in Orange, NJ and raised in South Orange, NJ. He attended Our Lady of Sorrows in South Orange, NJ for primary and middle school. The Football Team at Our Lady of Sorrows has a "Most Valuable Player Award" named in honor of Brian. He completed high school at St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark. Finally, He closed out his academic career at Seton Hall's South Orange Campus in 1965 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Studies. While at Seton Hall, Brian was active in athletics and numerous clubs. He played soccer and wrestled for the University. He was a member of the Booster Club, the St.Thomas More Pre-Legal Society and the Setonian Film Society. Brian also joined the Triphibian Guard Varsity Club. This was a short lived (1959 –1970) organization which competed with the Pershing Rifles Drill Team on the Seton Hall Campus.

When Brian arrived for the 38th Officer Candidate Course at Quantico, VA in early October of 1965, he was assigned to the 2nd Platoon of Delta Company. At The Basic School, Brian was assigned to the 1st Platoon of Delta Company. Brian was serving as a platoon commander (MOS 0302) with India Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines when he died. On the morning of January 25, 1967, his company had been tasked with sweeping approximately 2500 meters east from its overnight position into a grid square approximately 6 kilometers north-north-west of Hoi An to establish a new Company Patrol Base within 2 kilometers of the South China Sea. At 08:45 Brian tripped a suspected ChiCom grenade bobby-trap. He suffered mortal fragmentation wounds to his abdomen and left leg. An emergency medevac was called, but Brian succumbed to his wounds enroute to the medical facilities at the Naval Support Activity, Danang. The incident which resulted in his death occurred in Quang Nam Province (BT 108627).

Brian was returned to New Jersey and laid to rest in the family plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery at 125 Central Avenue, East Orange, NJ 07018. His grave is found in Section G, Lot 12, Grave 2.

Rest in Peace.
Semper Fi

God Bless America.

Here's the man I admire the most in American history- Ulysses S. Grant. I highly recommend his memoirs.

grant.jpg_1097337557.jpg

I have read them along with this: https://www.amazon.com/Grants-Final-Victory-Ulysses-Heroi/dp/0306821516

His actions at the surrender greatly contributed to start the long road to heal the wounds from the war.

Two years ago I was up in Saratoga and visited the cottage where he died.

The size of his funeral procession gives you an idea of much he was revered by both north and south. Sadly, he got chewed up as president and exploited in retirement.

One of our own.

Rest in Peace.
The Conlans lived on Warren Court, I believe, right down the street from SHU. Lived next store to my uncle, my dad's oldest brother, and I believe the Conlan family donated the old scoreboard in Walsh gym in their son's honor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT