ADVERTISEMENT

Monoclonal

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but I think we need to be honest and ask some of these questions. Why do we consume a significantly disproportionate amount of prescription drugs than the rest of the industrialized world, but have a resulting unhealthier population? Why are we only one of two countries that allow DTC advertising of prescription drugs? We are clearly a consumption based pharma/healthcare economy and the economic incentives surely support that or else we wouldn't.

It's about results and we have an unhealthy population that is conditioned to treat health problems after years of neglect in many cases rather than pre-emptively. The numbers are the numbers....
this is only a little funny because you say this on a thread about the fda removing a treatment in favor of a prophlyactic (spelling)

do u have the prescription data by country (US disproportionate) youre talking about? is that total or %?

this is only a little funny because you say this on a thread about the fda removing a treatment in favor of a prophlyactic (spelling)

do u have the prescription data by country (US disproportionate) youre talking about? is that total or %?
I was responding to a poster… my response needs to cover three pages of posts? lol

Drug consumption data by country is available through subscription services like Iquvia (ex-IMS).

I was responding to a poster… my response needs to cover three pages of posts? lol

Drug consumption data by country is available through subscription services like Iquvia (ex-IMS).
so whats the data?

IQVIA is a paid service. If you want to know you can buy the data. Probably expensive though.

Merge summed it up well, we don’t necessarily use that much more per capita but pay much more for each med.

However most of global med innovations come from US bc of FDA and ability to make money with patent etc. We technically subsidize test of world with cheap Pharma drugs. Good and bad with that.

Back to the original thread topic.

what the F are people complaining about not pushing a therapy that no longer works for the predominate variant. Each Vax cost like 15 bucks each compared to monoclonal treatment cost like $1400.

The government likely pays, for conservative folks like me, why the F would that we want to waste money and get people sick and burden healthcare system.

Either Desantis and others have a shady money connection to regeneron or they are just feeding more crap to the idiots who follow them to not trust the FDA, Biden etc.

Anybody that’s was still a big fan of Desantis should take a hard look at this stance he is promoting…do you question his integrity at all? How can you not?

We use more drugs and we pay more for them….and we are less healthy. Those are indisputable. Sounds counterintuitive right?

We use more drugs and we pay more for them….and we are less healthy. Those are indisputable. Sounds counterintuitive right?

At the same time, The Commonwealth Fund’s 2016 International Health Policy Survey suggests that per person prescription drug utilization in the U.S., while at the high end among high-income countries, is not an outlier. Forty-seven percent to 60 percent of adults in all countries report taking one or more prescription drugs regularly, and while the U.S. is at the upper end of this range (59%), the differences may not be statistically significant. These findings align with other research concluding that Americans consume similar amounts of drugs as people do in other countries.

At the same time, The Commonwealth Fund’s 2016 International Health Policy Survey suggests that per person prescription drug utilization in the U.S., while at the high end among high-income countries, is not an outlier. Forty-seven percent to 60 percent of adults in all countries report taking one or more prescription drugs regularly, and while the U.S. is at the upper end of this range (59%), the differences may not be statistically significant. These findings align with other research concluding that Americans consume similar amounts of drugs as people do in other countries.
That doesn't change the point...we take more prescription drugs, we pay more for them and we are much less healthy than industrialized nations. That should make us pause and ask questions, no?

That doesn't change the point...we take more prescription drugs, we pay more for them and we are much less healthy than industrialized nations. That should make us pause and ask questions, no?

Not sold on the more part yet, though I wouldn't argue we don't use a lot.
Switzerland is second in Rx spending per capita though and they are a one of the healthier countries in the world.

Generally from my view, we just don't value health in the US.
Our work life balance isn't great, we have a large population without insurance that skips care until it becomes a larger problem and our diets are pretty horrible. In my opinion, it is a cultural problem.

ahh assuming this is why Hall85 didnt post anything to support that statement. we have a massive country with more access to healthcare than anyone else. makes sense we are on the upper end, especially totals. and DTC pharma advertising isnt as bad as you think. a lot of times it actually helps people start to acknowledge and care for their health. if you notice most commercials you see are for meds that cover indications you cant prevent like rheumatoid arthritis, plaque psoriasis, etc. its highly regulated so gone are the days of the zoloft ball. still, i think we could use without branded advertising but its not as bad as stated.

however we are unhealthy. i think there is validity in the conspiracy that pharma companies want you unhealthy (not dead).

western diet, preservatives, processed food runs more rampant in this country than any other country. food advertising for these bad products is outrageous. we work way too much and most sit all day, gym exercise and healthy eating is expensive, we go through more stress. theres nothing being done here either

Last edited:
Reactions: Merge
Not sold on the more part yet, though I wouldn't argue we don't use a lot.
Switzerland is second in Rx spending per capita though and they are a one of the healthier countries in the world.

Generally from my view, we just don't value health in the US.
Our work life balance isn't great, we have a large population without insurance that skips care until it becomes a larger problem and our diets are pretty horrible. In my opinion, it is a cultural problem.
I would agree it's a cultural problem, but the consumption based market we have (just look at advertising dollars that promote prescription, generic and OTC drug usage) show there are incentivizes that drive our high use rate. IMO, Sweden has better health outcomes as they have a healthier lifestyle and a more homogenous population. We have economic pockets of the country, and racial disparities that have different views on valuing what they eat and trusting proactive healthcare. (We have a facility in New Jersey - 120 employees - that is primarily Hispanic and Creole - our vaccination rate is 23% - and we offer just about every incentive you can imagine).

In Sweden, the Ministry of Health is a separate independent organization that does not report to the Prime Minister. They can implement policy with less interference from pollicization.

I didn't say our high drug consumption was the only reason, but it's a major contributor to supporting the "treat it later" culture we have. We don't value health and it starts with the top. No where in the COVID messaging has there ever been a priority that you need to be healthy to give yourself the best chance of survival in addition to the vaccine.

usually a link is the proper response
I already also told you that it's a paid prescription service that we have access. There is no link to post because that would be illegal.

Several people told you where to get the data...the fact that we can't cut and paste it...how is that my problem?

Several people told you where to get the data...the fact that we can't cut and paste it...how is that my problem?
Experian data told me the device ID thats pinged at your address buys adult diapers. i cant show you that data tho. but thats what it says.

Is that an attempt at humor?
no its showing how youre just telling people they should believe you for essentially no tangible reason. ive seen you tout americas healthcare system and how we can diagnose more people, treat more people, and treat people more effectively. your exagerrated data points about prescriptions (which you havent given) should align with this.

no its showing how youre just telling people they should believe you for essentially no tangible reason. ive seen you tout americas healthcare system and how we can diagnose more people, treat more people, and treat people more effectively. your exagerrated data points about prescriptions (which you havent given) should align with this.
https://www.mitsui.com/mgssi/en/report/detail/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2019/05/17/1903_sakai_e.pdf

OK, here's a free data source that should help. Information on OTC drugs is more readily availble to the public and at the same time supports my point. We have the highest per capita spend on OTC in the world by a wide margin. And there is no material price difference per unit in OTC products as they are not patent protected and subject to competition. As I said earlier: We consume more drugs; we spend more on drugs; we are unhealthier than other industrialized nations.

And to your other point, we do have the best healthcare system in the world, but hospital's treat unhealthy or injured patients. Those patients in the U.S. have been propped up with meds for years instead of addressing the real core issue....personal responsibility for maintaining ones health. Those great hospitals are the backstop to treat decades of neglect by the patient and system that has limited incentive built in to make healthy decisions.

Our healthcare costs mirror other industrialized nations until about age 60, then the U.S. spikes up compared to everyone else. Why is that? Do some critical thinking.

https://www.mitsui.com/mgssi/en/report/detail/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2019/05/17/1903_sakai_e.pdf

OK, here's a free data source that should help. Information on OTC drugs is more readily availble to the public and at the same time supports my point. We have the highest per capita spend on OTC in the world by a wide margin. And there is no material price difference per unit in OTC products as they are not patent protected and subject to competition. As I said earlier: We consume more drugs; we spend more on drugs; we are unhealthier than other industrialized nations.

And to your other point, we do have the best healthcare system in the world, but hospital's treat unhealthy or injured patients. Those patients in the U.S. have been propped up with meds for years instead of addressing the real core issue....personal responsibility for maintaining ones health. Those great hospitals are the backstop to treat decades of neglect by the patient and system that has limited incentive built in to make healthy decisions.

Our healthcare costs mirror other industrialized nations until about age 60, then the U.S. spikes up compared to everyone else. Why is that? Do some critical thinking.
is otc a proxy for Rx?

US is 46th nation for life expectancy. the top players like japan, switz, mediterranean countries likely have a pattern related to living healthy. i wonder what their poverty line is. i also wonder what their Rx consumption is like. idk how to gauge OTC a lot of it is placebo. its also not all bad. allergy medication, fever reducers, neosporin, etc doesnt really correlate to unhealthy lifestyles and those are the top sellers. europe also looks like a bigger peice of the pie.

is otc a proxy for Rx?

US is 46th nation for life expectancy. the top players like japan, switz, mediterranean countries likely have a pattern related to living healthy. i wonder what their poverty line is. i also wonder what their Rx consumption is like. idk how to gauge OTC a lot of it is placebo. its also not all bad. allergy medication, fever reducers, neosporin, etc doesnt really correlate to unhealthy lifestyles and those are the top sellers. europe also looks like a bigger peice of the pie.
Yes, OTC's are a good proxy for Rx. How are OTC's a placebo?

And that's the point...other countries live healthier because it's promoted and the population is less reliant on treating things after the fact. There is no disputing we are an unhealthier society and if you were reading above, I agreed with merge on that. But our focus is to treat chronic conditions with meds (Rx, generic and OTC), rather than what is causing it.

Yes, OTC's are a good proxy for Rx. How are OTC's a placebo?

And that's the point...other countries live healthier because it's promoted and the population is less reliant on treating things after the fact. There is no disputing we are an unhealthier society and if you were reading above, I agreed with merge on that. But our focus is to treat chronic conditions with meds (Rx, generic and OTC), rather than what is causing it.
im wondering what they do to promote it. is it really effective? its probably more effective that they never built the infrastructure to eat and produce 95% processed food.

im wondering what they do to promote it. is it really effective? its probably more effective that they never built the infrastructure to eat and produce 95% processed food.
Questions we should be asking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT