ADVERTISEMENT

Naz Reid & Jahvon Quinerly

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/06/15/naz-reid-jahvon-quinerly-considering-teaming-colle/

Naz Reid, Jahvon Quinerly Considering Teaming Up in College

By MATT WHITFIELD

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.Naz Reid cut his list to seven schools this week: Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Seton Hall, and UCLA.

On Wednesday at the NBAPA Top 100 Camp, the 6-foot-10 big man from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic and the Sports U AAU program, discussed what led to the cut.

“Those schools are the ones that have been contacting me,” he said. “I feel like those schools could be like home. I feel like the culture around those schools is a family culture. I feel like I could be successful at any one of those schools.

Reid said he hoped to visit most of the schools on the list. He’s been to Seton Hall several times, and took a trip to UCLA after a recent AAU stop in Los Angeles.

“Each school I can be successful [at],” he said. “And after I leave the fan base will still be there. The coaches will still treat me like family.”

Reid also added that “they all have my style of play, that’s why they’re in my seven choices.”

Reid did cut the program nearest to his high school who had been working the hardest for him.

“It definitely was [tough cutting Rutgers],” he said. “You know, home school. Everyone’s looking for the kid to go to the home school. So yeah it definitely was tough to cut them.”

Reid has also though about pairing up with his Sports U teammate Jahvon Quinerly at the next level. The 6-2 Quinerly also recently cut his list to seven and is expected to stay and visit Virginia following the camp. Arizona, Kansas, Seton Hall and UCLA are the four schools in common for Reid and Quinerly and both schools are actively recruiting both guys.

“Definitely, I feel like we’re one of the best duos to play AAU,” Reid said. “We are looking to [play together at the next level] but if we don’t we’re still brothers. We still love each other.”

Reid added that they talk about playing together often.

Reid has an unofficial planed next week to LSU and the week after to Louisville.

Regarding his comments about Rutgers.They're understandable. Like all players with his ability Reid is looking to be a one and done. Meaning that going to Rutgers at this time would not have been a good choice. Only if he felt he could convince other HS stars to follow suit his ending up playing for the Scarlet Knights wasn't going to happen.

He did them a favor by cutting them now so the school doesn't waste recruiting energy chasing a pipe dream.

The timing never favored this potential marriage.

Agree with you; but I also think it is a pipe dream for us to think we are getting both. One, package deals do not work out more often than not, especially when a coach isn't being hired. Two, if you look at the comp for both, it isn't realistic that we are going to land either. I"m fine with staying in the hunt, but if they did Rutgers a favor not wasting resources, we might want to take that into consideration and focus on the many solid prospects we can attain.

Regarding his comments about Rutgers.They're understandable. Like all players with his ability Reid is looking to be a one and done. Meaning that going to Rutgers at this time would not have been a good choice. Only if he felt he could convince other HS stars to follow suit his ending up playing for the Scarlet Knights wasn't going to happen.

He did them a favor by cutting them now so the school doesn't waste recruiting energy chasing a pipe dream.

The timing never favored this potential marriage.

Just do not agree with that strategy when you have a chance. We are probably second at this juncture behind Nova for Quinerly although I don't think we're anywhere near the favorite for Reid.

Both play for the same team so we are not stretching ourselves thin going after both.

At this time we are far ahead of Rutgers as a BB force in the NCAA and to stay there you must become involved with the best players in your state. Those contacts might bear fruit immediately but if they don't they help pave the way in the future.

Regarding RU..............they knew Reid wasn't going to happen but the 'minimal' time Pikiell spent with those involved in the recruiting process will help down the road. Plus now they can concentrate on more realistic targets.

I have no problem swinging for the fences on these kids as what is the worst thing that happens, we go into the spring signing season with a bunch of open scholarship's.

I guess I'm still in the camp that believes in allocating your resources where you have a legitimate chance to sign a player and why I can see us going all out on Quinerly but not Reid who is not going to come to SH, the same way Duval was never coming to SH. When a coaching staff puts together it's list of players it targets it comes down to whether the player has the talent to succeed in the BE; the team has a legitimate and realistic chance to sign him; and he'll qualify academically. The question of course is does Reid meet all of those criteria and I would suggest on the signability question the answer is no.

Reactions: deheremike
Never believed Duvall was coming. Don't believe Quinerly or Reid are coming. But the difference now than the past is that we are still recruiting quality kids (like Walker) who we can turn to if we miss on the "dream" targets. Credit to how the staff and program have evolved.

I guess I'm still in the camp that believes in allocating your resources where you have a legitimate chance to sign a player and why I can see us going all out on Quinerly but not Reid who is not going to come to SH, the same way Duval was never coming to SH. When a coaching staff puts together it's list of players it targets it comes down to whether the player has the talent to succeed in the BE; the team has a legitimate and realistic chance to sign him; and he'll qualify academically. The question of course is does Reid meet all of those criteria and I would suggest on the signability question the answer is no.

IMHO, this is best way to go. In fact we should always go hard after the top local studs and see what happens.

Reid and Quinerly are local so it's not that much resources used and we get to go and build relationships with top local AAU and HS programs even if we don't get them. Younger promising kids and other top kids in the class see we are looking at top talent, top talent is looking at us and we are seen as more of an attractive option for all.

The only thing I DON'T think we should do is to decline or try to stall a top 50-100 verbal to us in order to continue to chase top 50 locals, but I don't think the coaching staff is doing that.

Never believed Duvall was coming. Don't believe Quinerly or Reid are coming. But the difference now than the past is that we are still recruiting quality kids (like Walker) who we can turn to if we miss on the "dream" targets. Credit to how the staff and program have evolved.

What is difficult to quantify is how the player " who we can turn to if we miss on our "dream" targets " feels about being the second option and not the primary option and does that effect our ability to sign that player. If I'm a top 100 or even top 150 player I'll have plenty of options availble to me and do I wait to see what SH does with its recruiting of that elite player or do I go where I'm the top choice for another school.

Can't forget too that sometimes if you swing and miss but the kid had a good experience they talk to other recruits and/or might transfer home someday and call SHU. Not to mention that you could actually sign the player - LOL. So you always go for the big fish and risk swinging and missing.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Agreed. But it's the line you have to walk. Plus sometimes you take the bird-in-the-hand who you know will be a solid player.

What is difficult to quantify is how the player " who we can turn to if we miss on our "dream" targets " feels about being the second option and not the primary option and does that effect our ability to sign that player. If I'm a top 100 or even top 150 player I'll have plenty of options availble to me and do I wait to see what SH does with its recruiting of that elite player or do I go where I'm the top choice for another school.

SHU should never turn down a top 50-100 type kid if he wants to come in the hopes that a higher ranked player may say yes down the road.

Reactions: dehere23
SHU should never turn down a top 50-100 type kid if he wants to come in the hopes that a higher ranked player may say yes down the road.

Do you think they have turned down recruits ranked between #50 - #100 recently? I don't believe the have nor do I believe they would. Maybe #100 - #200 type recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT