ADVERTISEMENT

NIT run vs. 1st Round NCAA Tourney exit……

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
in the past I would say you’d always be better off with making the NCAA tourney even if it’s a 1st round exit. For the most part, I think it still is the correct answer.

But given this rare situation we had where we got 3 bonus home games and had for once a Tourney set up for us to be successful in, it does give you some pause. Only thing that could make this a no brainer is if the semi‘s and Final were still at MSG.

These games at Walsh have been fun to say the least for die hard SHU fans.

Always NCAA Tournament. Not even close IMO.

The games at Walsh have been energetic and a fun throw back. I’m glad the team responded the way they did. It’s a good story and we’ll get more publicity after the NCAAT snub. We made chicken salad out of chicken sh-t. Winning it is a nice accomplishment too if we can.

in the past I would say you’d always be better off with making the NCAA tourney even if it’s a 1st round exit. For the most part, I think it still is the correct answer.

But given this rare situation we had where we got 3 bonus home games and had for once a Tourney set up for us to be successful in, it does give you some pause. Only thing that could make this a no brainer is if the semi‘s and Final were still at MSG.

These games at Walsh have been fun to say the least for die hard SHU fans.
This is ridiculous, there shouldn’t be a person alive that should agree with this.

You always want the NCAA bid, but the three NIT games have been an enjoyable and cathartic experience. A packed and boisterous Walsh, the seniors having fun and peaking at their best, rumors about Barrett coming home. Winning the NIT would give this team a well earned ending.

The snub from the NCAA was a gut punch for the players and coach. A NIT championship won't replace the hurt from the snub.

The run in the NIT has been advantageous for several reasons. It's elevated Sha's profile and will likely lead to a contract extension. Fan enthusiasm is off the charts, which wouldn't be the case with a first round loss in the Dance. The national exposure from the NIT should help recruiting. The NIT exposure helps Onward Setonia in raising NIL funds.

The snub from the NCAA was a gut punch for the players and coach. A NIT championship won't replace the hurt from the snub.

The run in the NIT has been advantageous for several reasons. It's elevated Sha's profile and will likely lead to a contract extension. Fan enthusiasm is off the charts, which wouldn't be the case with a first round loss in the Dance. The national exposure from the NIT should help recruiting. The NIT exposure helps Onward Setonia in raising NIL funds.
I like your optimism, but the NIT isn't giving any "national exposure" worth anything, I highly doubt it helps recruiting one iota, nor is it elevating Sha's profile. Sha's agent leveraged a Louisville opening, it seems, into a contract extension and/or some other monetary guarantees because of leverage Sha created by doing a good job this year in outperforming expectations during the Big East regular season. And because the entire world knows how it would look if this coach in particular left Seton Hall after 2 years and the spot we'd be in had that occurred.

The fan enthusiasm for the NIT is nice because it is good to support the kids, and they are playing admirably. But "off the charts" is an insane take. Besides this board and the diehards, the average sports fan or even casual Hall follower doesn't have near the interest or enthusiasm they had before we got our doors blown off by St. John's in the Big East tourney, when everyone was looking forward to us being in the big dance. Most don't even know the NIT is still going on. There was more enthusiasm during the BE season, and rightfully so.

Killer not being in the big tournament especially since I felt we had a solid chance of playing in the sweet 16. But what if 3 Big East schools get into the final 4, and we win the NIT. Then imagine coach Hurley winning the championship and saying, “the only teams that could have beaten him were from the Big East and one that already beat him was left out so he caught a break from the committee”. I might be old but still think like a kid. The above happens and the NCAA is going to have egg all over their face. Could open up the conversation again and put us in the news. This could be great exposure for our program. Not to mention if 3 of our guys were to come back next year this experience will help them. That being said rather be in NCAA tournament but good things can come from this run we are on. I’ve seen some great games in the NIT as well.

Reactions: PROF Ed
Agree that making the dance is a no-brainer. But if we had been clobbered last Thursday, the tenor of this board would have been really negative: people questioning the early canonization of Shaheen; others complaining about guys entering the portal and the amounts they are seeking; even more bitching about and proselytizing for NIL. At least we are still playing, and I think this run with five seniors is really cool.

Reactions: HALL85
NCAAT is always the goal. This is a unique run due to the snub and playing at Walsh. Happy about it for the players and Sha and we diehards but we have to get to the NCAAT sooner rather than later.

Always NCAA Tournament. Not even close IMO.

The games at Walsh have been energetic and a fun throw back. I’m glad the team responded the way they did. It’s a good story and we’ll get more publicity after the NCAAT snub. We made chicken salad out of chicken sh-t. Winning it is a nice accomplishment too if we can.
This but also huge $$& difference.

The NIT is pretty much meaningless unless you win it, which Seton Hall can do.

It's nice to be still playing but 3 more Quad 3 wins with a borderline Quad 3 game on deck. BFD.

Yawn.

An NIT championship would be a unique experience, but pales in comparison to getting into the big dance. The snub will always sting.

On a separate note, I couldn’t help but notice the esteemed Committee Chairman sitting court side again last night. Wonder what he was thinking as UConn bulldozed the last team standing from the vaunted Mountain West conference.

The NIT is pretty much meaningless unless you win it, which Seton Hall can do.

It's nice to be still playing but 3 more Quad 3 wins with a borderline Quad 3 game on deck. BFD.

Yawn.
St Joes, North Texas and UNLV are def not quad 3 opponents, I am guessing they are all Q2,

• Haha
Reactions: SPK145
The games are all on ESPN2 stand alone times from NCAA, it is not must see tv but the extra eye balls on Seton Hall and the exposure are 100% good for the program

Reactions: PiratePride
I’m still not watching haha
I really don't get the whole "eyeballs and extra exposure" stuff. I get making lemonade when live gives you lemons, but it's hard for sometimes to ignore that water is wet.

To me the value and draw from the fan perspective is us getting to watch our team play still if it happens to work with your schedule, because I don't think many are scheduling "around" this stuff. And good for the players who want to still play and compete because if you are going to commit to the NIT that's what you should be doing.

Reactions: PiratePride
NIT is a consolation prize for sure......but we are in a good place now because of it. All the what ifs and shoulda beens don't mean squat once the lights go on. The players have been ALL IN and so have the fans. Love the chip on the shoulder mentality shown by the whole SHU Community. NIT pales in comparison to the NCAA... but an NIT Championship this year would be an awesome plus for the program. It's a game of play the cards we have been dealt and I say screw the NCAA's ..... go for gold at Hinkle.

I’m just enjoying the team playing, winning and having fun. They wanted to keep on playing and I want to keep on watching.

And clearly Sha focused on winning post season…like at SPU. Nice to have a coach that makes a statement this time of year.

Win it all and it creates a decent portal narrative that you are "one player away" from being in the NCAAs. Maybe that helps you hang onto a couple of key players, maybe that helps you pick up a couple of key players.

Still think you were hosed, but it's good that the teams attitude is....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT