ADVERTISEMENT

Now fully convinced

The environment changed though. There used to be a large benefit by testing asymptomatic people. With omicron, that benefit has been greatly diminished. It's not that the guidance was bad a month ago. It was working ok.

What we didn't anticipate was that "known contacts" became pretty much everyone in the country right before Christmas and everyone wanted a test. There was a huge influx of people testing and we weren't ready for it. We should have been more prepared for that, but we weren't.

and this isn't now just about what is the "right" thing we can do today. I agree we should not be testing asymptomatic people now, but I also understand why they wouldn't flip that switch quickly.
There are consequences of that because people want consistency and if we tell people testing isn't as important today... it won't be as easy as telling them that testing is important tomorrow if that's what the environment dictates.
But what you fail to recognize is that we have a shortage of tests. And either the administration knew that and chose not to put a plan in place to preserve them for the people that needed them most or they didn't know it, which is even worse. There could have been guidance provided all along to the public...once again...daily press conferences with Fauci and Walensky telling the public that there was a testing shortage and indicating when they should get tested. How about guidance tot he hospitals and testing sites to qualify someone that wants to be tested? How about limiting purchases of rapid tests to 1/2 per customer? Total failure in communication.

Reactions: SHallguy2
The environment changed though. There used to be a large benefit by testing asymptomatic people. With omicron, that benefit has been greatly diminished. It's not that the guidance was bad a month ago. It was working ok.

What we didn't anticipate was that "known contacts" became pretty much everyone in the country right before Christmas and everyone wanted a test. There was a huge influx of people testing and we weren't ready for it. We should have been more prepared for that, but we weren't.

and this isn't now just about what is the "right" thing we can do today. I agree we should not be testing asymptomatic people now, but I also understand why they wouldn't flip that switch quickly.
There are consequences of that because people want consistency and if we tell people testing isn't as important today... it won't be as easy as telling them that testing is important tomorrow if that's what the environment dictates.
I hear ya but think consistency went out the window about 6 months into this pandemic. Dr. Fauci been sending mixed messages forever and our current president now seems lost for words. The new approach maybe to say nothing and hope it goes away. We have the new January 6th holiday coming up so MSM maybe can deflect the country for another couple of days. Sorry for sarcasm but this is how our country works the last 20 years.

But what you fail to recognize is that we have a shortage of tests. And either the administration knew that and chose not to put a plan in place to preserve them for the people that needed them most or they didn't know it, which is even worse. There could have been guidance provided all along to the public...once again...daily press conferences with Fauci and Walensky telling the public that there was a testing shortage and indicating when they should get tested. How about guidance tot he hospitals and testing sites to qualify someone that wants to be tested? How about limiting purchases of rapid tests to 1/2 per customer? Total failure in communication.

Yeah, because the public is perfectly reasonable when they hear there is a shortage of something. Some stores did have limits on the amount of tests you can buy, but it's not like people weren't going to multiple stores to buy more.

I think your just wrong to assume they didn't have discussions and consider their options of what to communicate to the public. They really weren't left with any good options. All of the options you just said would just create more chaos.

Omicron spreading right before a holiday was a strain. That strain is now over and we will catch up on the backlog and the demand for testing will continue to decrease. It was a short term problem that fixes itself.

We should have been more prepared. If you want to blame the government, focus your energy there.

The new approach maybe to say nothing and hope it goes away.

Yeah, basically but the other side of that is the risk of saying something could make things worse.

Honestly, people heard about a toilet paper shortage and then stocked up 6 months worth a toilet paper. The idea that the government could tell people that there is a shortage of tests, and people would have responded to that rationally is just not realistic. We just got to a point where there was really nothing we could have said that makes the situation better.

Yeah, because the public is perfectly reasonable when they hear there is a shortage of something. Some stores did have limits on the amount of tests you can buy, but it's not like people weren't going to multiple stores to buy more.

I think your just wrong to assume they didn't have discussions and consider their options of what to communicate to the public. They really weren't left with any good options. All of the options you just said would just create more chaos.

Omicron spreading right before a holiday was a strain. That strain is now over and we will catch up on the backlog and the demand for testing will continue to decrease. It was a short term problem that fixes itself.

We should have been more prepared. If you want to blame the government, focus your energy there.
So because the public can be unreasonable your solution is to not communicate with them at all? Interesting strategy. Why would guidance create more chaos? That makes no sense. Leaders like Cuomo were praised during the height of the pandemic for getting on TV every day to calm the public and share the plan even as things were changing. It's better to do nothing and provide no leadership because the options may not be attractive as you would like them to be? Really makes no sense.

Yeah, basically but the other side of that is the risk of saying something could make things worse.

Honestly, people heard about a toilet paper shortage and then stocked up 6 months worth a toilet paper. The idea that the government could tell people that there is a shortage of tests, and people would have responded to that rationally is just not realistic. We just got to a point where there was really nothing we could have said that makes the situation better.
lol...like telling people not to wear N95 masks to preserve them for healthcare workers (which they were not available to the public to begin with).

The bottom line is you have a population full of people who have been brainwashed into thinking this is a super deadly disease when in reality it is nowhere near that. That lends itself to panic and a crazy high demand for tests.

Reactions: SHallguy2
The bottom line is you have a population full of people who have been brainwashed into thinking this is a super deadly disease when in reality it is nowhere near that. That lends itself to panic and a crazy high demand for tests.
And another failure to run with a singular strategy (get vaccinated)....did they run any projection models to forecast how many people would actually get fully vaccinated? Historically, flu shots, etc. have about a 50-60% compliance. I could have told you that we were going to top out at 60-65% fully vaccinated even with all of the mandates. No other strategies on messaging to people on how to stay out of the hospital and die. (i.e. four comorbidities that account for 93% of COVID fatalities, early treatment/physician engagement, tele-med infrastructure....)

lol...like telling people not to wear N95 masks to preserve them for healthcare workers (which they were not available to the public to begin with).

Yes, exactly.

Fauci saying something on TV 22 months ago still has people questioning the effectiveness of masks.
Sometimes trying to say the right thing at the time has negative consequences. That is my point.

Yes, exactly.

Fauci saying something on TV 22 months ago still has people questioning the effectiveness of masks.
Sometimes trying to say the right thing at the time has negative consequences. That is my point.
Don't confuse NO COMMUNICATION (what we have now) with BAD COMMUNICATION (what the mask guidance was).

And another failure to run with a singular strategy (get vaccinated)....did they run any projection models to forecast how many people would actually get fully vaccinated? Historically, flu shots, etc. have about a 50-60% compliance. I could have told you that we were going to top out at 60-65% fully vaccinated even with all of the mandates.

But that 60-65% includes people who either just became eligible (5-12) or still aren't eligible (under 5)

Of the adult population, the numbers were very good

Don't confuse NO COMMUNICATION (what we have now) with BAD COMMUNICATION (what the mask guidance was).

We have communication now. Test if symptomatic, after known exposure, or for various screenings.

We have communication now. Test if symptomatic, after known exposure, or for various screenings.
Who is communicating that? When? How often? When shouldn't you test (to preserve the supply)?

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
The CDC

lol... As if the public is just hanging on edge to wait for updates on testing guidelines every day.
It shouldn't change often.

When you aren't symptomatic, haven't had a close contact or haven't been asked to get a test for screening purposes.
Once again you conveniently missed the point. Just because it’s on the CDC website doesn’t mean the message is getting out there. You seem to want to give the Administration a pass for not getting out in front of all of these issues.

You mentioned in spring of 2021 the pandemic would be over by June 2021.

You mentioned that once the safe and effective vaccines were rolled out, we would no longer need mitigation efforts. Per NJ..com, its looking a lot like last year.

Once again you conveniently missed the point. Just because it’s on the CDC website doesn’t mean the message is getting out there.

Messaging has been consistent and out there for a while. If you don't know it, then you aren't paying any attention to the messaging anyway.

You seem to want to give the Administration a pass for not getting out in front of all of these issues.

Nope. Administration doesn't get a pass from me because we weren't better prepared. The time to prepare was over a month ago.

I don't think there was anything they could have said which would have made the situation better because the public doesn't respond to messaging rationally... and you want to be careful about adjusting the guidance because of Omicron when the next variant could change the guidance back to what it was beforehand and people aren't going to want to adjust again.

Messaging has been consistent and out there for a while. If you don't know it, then you aren't paying any attention to the messaging anyway.

Nope. Administration doesn't get a pass from me because we weren't better prepared. The time to prepare was over a month ago.

I don't think there was anything they could have said which would have made the situation better because the public doesn't respond to messaging rationally... and you want to be careful about adjusting the guidance because of Omicron when the next variant could change the guidance back to what it was beforehand and people aren't going to want to adjust again.
No messaging...ask ten people what the guidance is and good luck with getting the same answer. I value leadership and communication. You obviously don't.

No messaging...ask ten people what the guidance is and good luck with getting the same answer. I value leadership and communication. You obviously don't.

Pretty much everyone I know who has taken a test in the last month did so because they had a close contact. I don't know anyone who is testing without symptoms... so maybe they actually all received the messaging?

You don't value leadership and communication. You just want the message you want when you want it. I don't recall you praising Murphy and Cuomo here for holding daily press conferences.

Pretty much everyone I know who has taken a test in the last month did so because they had a close contact. I don't know anyone who is testing without symptoms... so maybe they actually all received the messaging?

You don't value leadership and communication. You just want the message you want when you want it. I don't recall you praising Murphy and Cuomo here for holding daily press conferences.
Too funny...I don't value leadership because I expect leaders to lead?

I know a ton of people that were testing without symptoms. Some people had made it a condition of coming to a party or family get together.

Trump, Cuomo, Murphy and others that got out in front of it, did the right thing by getting in front of the public. Where they all fell down was in politicizing their points.

I know people who are testing almost everyday, I think they are out of their minds but I'm sure there are probably more crazy people as well. Lack of communication may cause people to die. Example, older person who is sick but needs to wait 5 to 7 days to get a test result to see a doctor. Same person decides to go to the hospital to get treated and the problem gets worse because hospitals become over run. This is happening in Passaic county right now. This is a critical time to get out guidance. We may have to wait until after January 6th, since current administration is on the offensive to change the narrative which right now is getting worse every day. Leaders step up when there are no test kits, long lines and extended wait times for test results.

As someone who was opposed to vaccine mandates but believes that the far majority of the population should get vaccinated, absolutely.

You should understand your risks and you should talk to your doctor regardless of government messaging.
Merge you’re now antivaxer based on some people’s definition.

Wells Fargo now promoting season ticket holders get their "VaxPass" to promote ease of entry. not required, but can anyone see this being required down the road? its literally a pass on a lanyard

Wells Fargo now promoting season ticket holders get their "VaxPass" to promote ease of entry. not required, but can anyone see this being required down the road? its literally a pass on a lanyard
And how will they know if you’re wearing your vaxpass or your friends? Will people be giving those to their friends when they give them their tix to use?

And how will they know if you’re wearing your vaxpass or your friends? Will people be giving those to their friends when they give them their tix to use?
well most season tix holders have more than one ticket. they are told to register everybgieat for their own pass.

my initial thought is outside of gender theres no way to confirm without making the entry process much slower

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT