ADVERTISEMENT

Now fully convinced

So dumb. This reminds me of the run on toilet paper at the beginning of this. A good example of groupthink and herd mentality. Testing for a cold. SMH.

Reactions: SHUMA04
So dumb. This reminds me of the run on toilet paper at the beginning of this. A good example of groupthink and herd mentality. Testing for a cold. SMH.

Agreed with you until the end. The testing is overboard, but it’s not a cold.

If you're vaccinated, it is.

If I had a cold, I’m not postponing a trip to see my parents who would be more at risk. If I have Covid, I would postpone a trip to see my parents. Depending on your circumstances, it could be beneficial to know if you have Covid or not.

I agree there are many people testing for no reason at all (I know some) but during the holidays where people tend to spend time with family, testing beforehand might make sense.

If your parents are vaccinated, what does it matter? I guess you don't believe in the effectiveness of the vaccines then?

If your parents are vaccinated, what does it matter? I guess you don't believe in the effectiveness of the vaccines then?

Lol.. no… they are in specific risk categories.

I also wouldn’t go if I had the flu and felt ok. I wouldn’t care if they had a flu shot, I wouldn’t expect I’d kill them but also wouldn’t want them to get the flu. We can reschedule.

We are all vaccinated and live normally, but aren’t really volunteering to try and get infected on purpose.

Lol.. no… they are in specific risk categories.

I also wouldn’t go if I had the flu and felt ok. I wouldn’t care if they had a flu shot, I wouldn’t expect I’d kill them but also wouldn’t want them to get the flu. We can reschedule.

We are all vaccinated and live normally, but aren’t really volunteering to try and get infected on purpose.
Good discussion. So if your whole family is vaccinated and no one is showing symptoms, you’re saying it’s okay to see your parents even though they may be in a high risk category. Correct me if Im

The rapid tests have accuracy issues and also just because you test negative the day of meeting, doesn’t mean you could be early stage. (This is literally what happened with my in-laws).

If we are putting 100% of our faith in being vaccinated and aggressively testing, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Maybe it’s time to accept this strain is moving so fast you can’t put test it. At a high transmission time we have now, the best guidance is for at risk groups to limit public exposure. You can still get out an exercise, etc., but limit your interactions in general. If you’re low risk, you’re free to move about the cabin.

Good discussion. So if your whole family is vaccinated and no one is showing symptoms, you’re saying it’s okay to see your parents even though they may be in a high risk category. Correct me if Im

We’ve done what we can and have moved on. If there’s a reason to think someone could be infected, a test is another step to reduce risk. Not a guarantee.

I had a “close exposure” a week before Christmas. Got tested before I saw family and did a rapid test the day of. Both were negative.

I’m seeing them again in a couple days. No reason to think I’ve been exposed since so not testing this time.

We’ve done what we can and have moved on. If there’s a reason to think someone could be infected, a test is another step to reduce risk. Not a guarantee.

I had a “close exposure” a week before Christmas. Got tested before I saw family and did a rapid test the day of. Both were negative.

I’m seeing them again in a couple days. No reason to think I’ve been exposed since so not testing this time.
Test responses are now taking approx. one week to get a result. Two weeks ago the results were inside 24 hours. My father in law 82 years old was not feeling well. He needed a negative test before seeing the doctor. We are at day 6 and still no result and people are wondering why someone might die. 3 other friends waited 5 days. Seems stupid to me, but what do I know. When you get the result but are already clear to move about the cabin. Our government has the right idea order millions of tests? Brilliant idea. Test our way out of it, really.

Test responses are now taking approx. one week to get a result. Two weeks ago the results were inside 24 hours. My father in law 82 years old was not feeling well. He needed a negative test before seeing the doctor. We are at day 6 and still no result and people are wondering why someone might die. 3 other friends waited 5 days. Seems stupid to me, but what do I know. When you get the result but are already clear to move about the cabin. Our government has the right idea order millions of tests? Brilliant idea. Test our way out of it, really.

What kind of doctor requires a negative test? That’s absurd. I have an appt this week and don’t need a test. Tell your father in law to get a better doctor.

Yes, a test result taking 5+ days is ridiculous. We should have been better prepared for increased demand.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Yes, a test result taking 5+ days is ridiculous. We should have been better prepared for increased demand.
Ok we weren't prepared, I get it, crap happens, but who is doing something about it now?

We are meandering through this right now. No one knows protocols we should be following; no one knows what fully vaccinatedMeans; no one knows what testing guidance should be.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea for Biden’s administration to hold daily press conferences to update the population on this quickly evolving situation? Put Fauci, Walensky out there every day providing guidance.

Asked a doctor on news this morning why CDC hasn’t changed definition of fully vaccinated (to include booster). He said is was too political…WTF. The CDC?

This variant is sidelining record numbers of healthcare workers. The next 4-6 weeks in hospitals will be brutal.

Last edited:
Instead of creating more panic and more unnecessary government response, it would be a good idea for Biden, CDC, Fauci, etc. to tell the truth and let the American public know that this Omicron stuff is nothing to worry about.

Increased testing only prolongs this.

Instead of creating more panic and more unnecessary government response, it would be a good idea for Biden, CDC, Fauci, etc. to tell the truth and let the American public know that this Omicron stuff is nothing to worry about.

Increased testing only prolongs this.
This will all go away if trump loses.

What kind of doctor requires a negative test? That’s absurd. I have an appt this week and don’t need a test. Tell your father in law to get a better doctor.

He’s visiting from Florida called my wife’s doctor and also my doctor both required negative test results. Called another spot same thing. We are in Wayne, my wife’s doctor died from covid. The other doctors in the office would not even schedule an apt by phone. Everyone is fully booked.

We are meandering through this right now. No one knows protocols we should be following; no one knows what fully vaccinatedMeans; no one knows what testing guidance should be.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea for Biden’s administration to hold daily press conferences to update the population on this quickly evolving situation? Put Fauci, Walensky out there every day providing guidance.

Asked a doctor on news this morning why CDC hasn’t changed definition of fully vaccinated (to include booster). He said is was too political…WTF. The CDC?

This variant is sidelining record numbers of healthcare workers. The next 4-6 weeks in hospitals will be brutal.
Need leadership very badly, mixed messaging everywhere. No one has a plan and if they do it’s not a very good one. Need to get the big medical boats back into New York.

He’s visiting from Florida called my wife’s doctor and also my doctor both required negative test results. Called another spot same thing. We are in Wayne, my wife’s doctor died from covid. The other doctors in the office would not even schedule an apt by phone. Everyone is fully booked.
That’s awful. For a doctor not even to schedule a TeleMed call is obscene.

Here's another good example of poor communication. We have a shortage of COVID tests right now and delays in getting results are taking longer. If you have a limited supply of something, wouldn't it make sense for the administration to provide some guidance on when to test (and when not to test)?

Reactions: SHallguy2
Here's another good example of poor communication. We have a shortage of COVID tests right now and delays in getting results are taking longer. If you have a limited supply of something, wouldn't it make sense for the administration to provide some guidance on when to test (and when not to test)?

Yes, but to be fair, it appears Omicron has changed the calculus here. What made sense a couple months ago doesn't really seem to make sense anymore and it is difficult to pivot mid-wave and even worse right before the holidays.

Now that the new year is here, it is time to start to move away from asymptomatic testing outside of higher risk settings entirely.

Yes, but to be fair, it appears Omicron has changed the calculus here. What made sense a couple months ago doesn't really seem to make sense anymore and it is difficult to pivot mid-wave and even worse right before the holidays.

Now that the new year is here, it is time to start to move away from asymptomatic testing outside of higher risk settings entirely.
That's my point...it has changed the calculus, but there is zero guidance from the administration on testing. I know people that are testing every day....

That's my point...it has changed the calculus, but there is zero guidance from the administration on testing. I know people that are testing every day....

Why are they testing every day? I don't believe there is any guidance saying people should be doing that.. so they aren't listening to the guidance anyway.

Why are they testing every day? I don't believe there is any guidance saying people should be doing that.. so they aren't listening to the guidance anyway.
Listening to what guidance? There is none.

Listening to what guidance? There is none.

Sure there is.
It's always been test if symptomatic, after known exposure, or for various screenings.

Your criticism that they haven't pivoted with the new environment is fair.

COVID-Testing-Flowchart_v2_Updated.jpg

Sure there is.
It's always been test if symptomatic, after known exposure, or for various screenings.

Great...how many people check the CDC website. This is where the administration should be out in front of this and communicating every day....but no. We have a major supply problem with tests....get out in front of it and tell people what to do and reference the CDC site. It's not that hard.

Yup, what’s so hard about getting a team of doctors say 31 in a room to vote a majority on a series of questions most Americans are living with daily.
Should I get tested if I do not have symptoms?
Should I call my doctor when I still have a fever in 3 days?
Should I be trying to get treatment when I’m not having trouble breathing?
I could keep going, terrible job of giving guidance. When they do there is no explanation. I want 31 doctors in a room to vote and get a majority. First question 26 to 5 doctors in favor of not getting tested with no symptoms. People need to see the process first hand. We are getting guidance based on what criteria. It’s clear as day their are lots of opinions out there, I want to know what the majority of doctors believe. There should be a published document of questions and answers for every American to reference .

Sure there is.

You see first hand how crazy this has become. Technically 10,000 fans should be tested after every game. The system is on overload with this guidance. Funny do you see column on the left bottom to my point the other day when asked by a healthcare professional. You thought I should switch doctors when it’s pretty commonplace. Need a doctor get tested first, wait 6 days for results then make an apt. If you are still alive. While we are waiting for the virus to be shut down people will be dying from lack of leadership.

Yup, what’s so hard about getting a team of doctors say 31 in a room to vote a majority on a series of questions most Americans are living with daily.

There is nuance in the answers.

Should I get tested if I do not have symptoms?

Maybe. Depends on your personal circumstances.

Should I call my doctor when I still have a fever in 3 days?

Should I be trying to get treatment when I’m not having trouble breathing?

You see where I'm going... I get that you want guidance and certainty but it's an evolving situation and our own personal circumstances will drive all of the responses. No doctor will say yes or no to those questions without a bunch of qualifiers.

Should I get vaccinated?

Depends on your personal circumstances…

Should I get vaccinated?

Depends on your personal circumstances…

As someone who was opposed to vaccine mandates but believes that the far majority of the population should get vaccinated, absolutely.

You should understand your risks and you should talk to your doctor regardless of government messaging.

As someone who was opposed to vaccine mandates but believes that the far majority of the population should get vaccinated, absolutely.

You should understand your risks and you should talk to your doctor regardless of government messaging.
I’ve been saying that all along…unfortunately the administration isn’t.

There is nuance in the answers.

You see where I'm going... I get that you want guidance and certainty but it's an evolving situation and our own personal circumstances will drive all of the responses. No doctor will say yes or no to those questions without a bunch of
I see where you are going. So we give no guidance and wait until it implodes which it is doing as we post. Testing for no reason is a mistake. If you have no symptoms and are not traveling no test should be given. People are abusing the ability to get tested.

I see where you are going. So we give no guidance and wait until it implodes which it is doing as we post. Testing for no reason is a mistake. If you have no symptoms and are not traveling no test should be given. People are abusing the ability to get tested.

The environment changed though. There used to be a large benefit by testing asymptomatic people. With omicron, that benefit has been greatly diminished. It's not that the guidance was bad a month ago. It was working ok.

What we didn't anticipate was that "known contacts" became pretty much everyone in the country right before Christmas and everyone wanted a test. There was a huge influx of people testing and we weren't ready for it. We should have been more prepared for that, but we weren't.

and this isn't now just about what is the "right" thing we can do today. I agree we should not be testing asymptomatic people now, but I also understand why they wouldn't flip that switch quickly.
There are consequences of that because people want consistency and if we tell people testing isn't as important today... it won't be as easy as telling them that testing is important tomorrow if that's what the environment dictates.

Reactions: SHallguy2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT