ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants something happening here?

SHallguy2

All Big East
Nov 11, 2009
I know it’s very early but here’s what I’m seeing.
1. Nobody’s job is safe nor should it be.
2. Guys who have been stinking up the joint no matter how much they are making may need a new team.
3. Guys catching balls and scoring TD’s. wow what a concept. I don’t care whose name is on the back of the Jersey if they can score.
4. Webb is putting Jones on notice. I know he was not playing against the first team but the guy gets rid of the ball and wants to win the game. If Jones doesn’t wake up Webb will be playing this year maybe sooner than we think.
5. Feel like we have some players ready to jump in and make some plays. Opportunity opens the door for success.
6. Most years winning preseason games is no big deal but for the current Giants need to see what winning feels like.

Cautiously optimistic right now that maybe the mindset on the team is changing.

2. Guys who have been stinking up the joint no matter how much they are making may need a new team.
3. Guys catching balls and scoring TD’s. wow what a concept. I don’t care whose name is on the back of the Jersey if they can score.
4. Webb is putting Jones on notice. I know he was not playing against the first team but the guy gets rid of the ball and wants to win the game. If Jones doesn’t wake up Webb will be playing this year maybe sooner than we think.
5. Feel like we have some players ready to jump in and make some plays. Opportunity opens the door for success.
6. Most years winning preseason games is no big deal but for the current Giants need to see what winning feels like.

They have a softer schedule based on last year results...all remain healthy they will be in playoffs

Kayvon Thibodeaux’s ‘pretty scary’ Giants moment could have been much worse​

By Steve Serby

You’re damned if you do play them in preseason sometimes, and damned if you don’t.

If you keep them in bubble wrap over the summer, they aren’t ready when the regular-season bullets start flying.

If you play your prized pass rusher, and he winds up on the ground clutching his right knee, a hush falls over the stadium, and the organization.

A hush that turns to hopeful cheers when he waves off and disdains the cart that was urgently summoned for him and walks to the sideline under his own power.

“I’m good,” Kayvon Thibodeaux said after Giants 25, Bengals 22, and smiled, and when you are walking with only a slight limp, you want to believe him.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. But it is best to be lucky and good.

Maybe the football gods won’t be as cruel to the Giants as they have been once the MRI exam tells us more.

Maybe the Giants aren’t damned for a change.

There was 11:04 remaining in the second quarter when during a one-yard run, Thibodeaux was cut by Bengals tight end Thaddeus Moss on the kind of dirty block you should never see in preseason, headed to the medical tent and never returned.

“I think it was a pretty scary moment there,” Daniel Jones (14-16, 116 yards) said. “You never want to see anyone go down.”

He got Mossed by Randy Moss’ son. A bad kind of Mossed.

Or Beckhamed.

You might recall that back in 2017, Odell Beckham Jr. suffered a high ankle sprain on a questionable hit from then-Browns defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun in Cleveland and missed one week.

“It’s preseason,” Beckham said two years later as a Brown before a preseason game against the Jets and then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was the Browns DC in 2017. “It’s like a known rule, in preseason nobody in the NFL’s really out to do stuff like that. I had players on this team telling me that that’s what he was telling them to do, take me out of the game, and it’s preseason. So you just know who he is. That’s the man calling the plays.”

The difference is Bengals DC Lou Anarumo is no Gregg Williams.

“Whatever the rules are, those are the rules,” Giants coach Brian Daboll said.

Jones: “It’s legal, it’s in the tackle box. It’s part of it. It’s a tough part of the game. I don’t have much experience dealing with that, I don’t play D end (smile).”

Only an obvious hold on Hakeem Adeniji that was not obvious to the zebras kept Thibodeaux from a sack on an earlier series. Thibodeaux even dropped into coverage and blanketed Moss previously, and chases down Stanley Morgan following a 10-yard completion.

Thibodeaux getting chopped down cast a temporary pall over a night when you could close your eyes and open your imagination to what Jones can yet be for Daboll (not to mention the late two-touchdown comeback heroics of Davis Montana … er, Webb and Alex Bachman).

If Saquon Barkley was the running back instead of Antonio Williams or Jashaun Corbin.

If Kadarius Toney was the wide receiver instead of David Sills or Collin Johnson … even if both of them looked like pros.

Jones has.

“We gotta get the time in in practice, and build the chemistry and all that,” Jones told The Post. “I’m excited. I think we hit a lot of guys who can do a lot of different things. Those two guys are special players.”

Because Daniel Jones, in his third drive of the second preseason game, looked more in command than he has this summer.

“He’s picking up our offense,” Daboll said. “We’re trying to formulate what we’re good at. He’s made steady strides.”

Jones punched the air with his right fist after Corbin plowed ahead for the last two yards of an 84-yard touchdown drive.

Zach Wilson should do himself a favor and watch how Jones scooted safely out of bounds after gaining five yards on a third-and-3 scramble. A good sign perhaps that Jones has learned that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor after the way he lowered his head and was met helmet-to-helmet at the goal line last October by Jabril Cox in Dallas and suffered a mild concussion.

His interception came on an accurate pass that deflected off the hands of rookie tight end Daniel Bellinger.

Some bad, some good, as Daboll likes to say. It appears that the bad could have been worse.

A few things I am seeing is they were able to get some talent from the waiver wire for sure. They now have three RBs who all look good IMO (can catch, block and run well) which is a huge improvement from last year. They are definitely open for competition and some younger guys may get roster spots (Sills looked great). Daboll wants the QBs to get the ball out of their hands - something Jones has had issues with in the past. His offensive sets allow that to happen with multiple options - so much more creative than Garretts awful offense and we have only seen the vanilla stuff in pre-season.

The O line is a big worry as they have a lot of guys hurt. Neal is a massive guy but is getting beat regularly by 2nd and 3rd stringers. Its early so its good he is getting these reps. Hopefully he adjusts because I believe he was a really good pick.

Daboll plays to win every down. That is gonna help with the players mindset a lot. Sometimes I thought Judge/Garrett did not.

Jones played OK but not really throwing the ball downfield yet. Could be by design to keep players from getting hurt and they had a patchwork O line. His interception was a catchable ball but it was clearly high to a less athletic player (TE) and a pass over the middle (prone to the INT). He still has accuracy issues. But overall he made good decisions and had protection. I have a feeling Dabolls offense does not need a Mahomes or Rodgers to run it to be successful. Make quick reads and get the ball to your playmakers. Taylor and Webb are pushing Jones too which can't be overlooked. Jones needs to feel the pressure and step up or go after this year. Having two solid backups will keep the pressure on him.

Defensively they are playing with one good outside CB and that is gonna hurt them. Hopefully someone steps up. Robinson is not getting it done and Jackson is good but he would be a #2 CB on many teams. I am still upset that they traded down early in the 2nd round as some very good CBs were there.

The Giants competed last night (except special teams which looked bad but you are playing with a lot of backups and guys who won't make the roster). But our starters were going against their 2nd and 3rd string for most of the first half. We were down going into the half which may tell you that we don't have the depth of talent a lot of good teams like Cincy have. D looked just OK to me.

Gano getting hurt is very bad - hoping he does not have recurring issues as he was terrific last year. And thank goodness #5 is ok. Hopefully as you say something good is happening.

Reactions: SHallguy2
They have a softer schedule based on last year results...all remain healthy they will be in playoffs
1. This is football. All remain healthy is not happening for any of the 32 teams. Count that out.
2. Playoffs??? Daboll would be coach the year. They're still a year or 2 away depending on what they do in free agency. They don't have the fat guys to keep Jones standing upright the way Rodgers, Stafford, and Brady do.

Yeah, can’t tell anything really other than what we watched the previous two seasons was the worst offense in college or the NFL. The QB is still a one-read guy, but maybe this offense helps make for more successful first reads!

Reactions: Section112
Davis Webb Lol.

Remember when Giants fans were saying Ryan Nassib was some stud because he showed well against 3rd stringers.

6/11 draft picks already hurt. Beavers looked really good and tore his ACL last night. Until the Giants actually win games I won't believe it'll happen.

Reactions: TomD82

A lot of nonsense in this post…
2. Golladay is stinking up the joint, is going to make the team, & is going to be a starter

4. Davis Webb isn’t putting anyone on notice. He’s clearly the third string and performed well against backups backups

6. Winning a preseason game still doesn’t matter

Reactions: TomD82
A few things I am seeing is they were able to get some talent from the waiver wire for sure. They now have three RBs who all look good IMO (can catch, block and run well) which is a huge improvement from last year. They are definitely open for competition and some younger guys may get roster spots (Sills looked great). Daboll wants the QBs to get the ball out of their hands - something Jones has had issues with in the past. His offensive sets allow that to happen with multiple options - so much more creative than Garretts awful offense and we have only seen the vanilla stuff in pre-season.

The O line is a big worry as they have a lot of guys hurt. Neal is a massive guy but is getting beat regularly by 2nd and 3rd stringers. Its early so its good he is getting these reps. Hopefully he adjusts because I believe he was a really good pick.

Daboll plays to win every down. That is gonna help with the players mindset a lot. Sometimes I thought Judge/Garrett did not.

Jones played OK but not really throwing the ball downfield yet. Could be by design to keep players from getting hurt and they had a patchwork O line. His interception was a catchable ball but it was clearly high to a less athletic player (TE) and a pass over the middle (prone to the INT). He still has accuracy issues. But overall he made good decisions and had protection. I have a feeling Dabolls offense does not need a Mahomes or Rodgers to run it to be successful. Make quick reads and get the ball to your playmakers. Taylor and Webb are pushing Jones too which can't be overlooked. Jones needs to feel the pressure and step up or go after this year. Having two solid backups will keep the pressure on him.

Defensively they are playing with one good outside CB and that is gonna hurt them. Hopefully someone steps up. Robinson is not getting it done and Jackson is good but he would be a #2 CB on many teams. I am still upset that they traded down early in the 2nd round as some very good CBs were there.

The Giants competed last night (except special teams which looked bad but you are playing with a lot of backups and guys who won't make the roster). But our starters were going against their 2nd and 3rd string for most of the first half. We were down going into the half which may tell you that we don't have the depth of talent a lot of good teams like Cincy have. D looked just OK to me.

Gano getting hurt is very bad - hoping he does not have recurring issues as he was terrific last year. And thank goodness #5 is ok. Hopefully as you say something good is happening.
Neal played well last night. He did give up 1 QB pressure while Taylor was in though. He also pancaked a defender. Thibbs being out 3-4 weeks with a sprained MCL is the best news from what looked like a really bad injury. Depth is a problem with this team is right. Never could put a roster together with the previous regime. And with all the CBs the last 2 GMs drafted and not one knows where the ball is on any play or if the ball is even in the air.

Webb was impressive. He was also playing with 3rd stringers & a center that could barely snap him the ball. It's obvious he's a totally different QB than the Giants originally drafted in 2017.

If Jones does go down again this year they're in much better shape with Webb & Taylor than they were with Glennon & Fromm.

Defense still really concerns me though.

Reactions: Piratz
The unknown factor for any NFL team is injuries and that is especially true for rebuilding teams like the Giants with little quality depth at key positions like the O-Line and uncertainty at the QB position. While Jones lookEd improved in last night’s game and Webb produced results , albeit not against the Bengals starters, their is hope for a more competitive season and yet still the need to be in a draft position to add high quality players to speed the rebuilding.

Giants are likely to pick up some decent depth courtesy of the Buffalo Bills, who are loaded and will likely be cutting some serviceable guys in the coming days. Both GM and Head coach will be familiar with said guys, and there ya go :)

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Giants are likely to pick up some decent depth courtesy of the Buffalo Bills, who are loaded and will likely be cutting some serviceable guys in the coming days. Both GM and Head coach will be familiar with said guys, and there ya go :)
Tells you a lot about what Getty left them? They are getting 3rd tier guys off the waiver wire that are better than guys we had on the roster. This is gonna take a while I believe.

The Gettleman era was fraught with mistake after mistake in their talent evaluation process in both the draft and in free agency. Of course that’s not even factoring how much they overpaid for the free agents they signed which left the Giants in cap space hell.

The o line looked good last game. All the QB’s had time and clean pockets for the most part. Jones looked very comfortable and in control of the offense. His decisions were quick and the ball came out quick. He even used his legs for a first down. Not sure what you’re seeing with regard to accuracy. He threw some perfect balls. Back shoulder to sills. Hitting the slants in stride. His Int. was a perfect throw. He put it high to avoid the trail defender in a spot where only the TE could catch it. Bad job by the TE not bringing in that catch. Worse job popping it in the air for the defense. If he simply drops the passit’s a simple incomplete. If it just tipped his fingertips I’d say maybe it’s on Jones but that went completely through his hands and should have been caught. I’ll give the rookie a break as it’s preseason and he’s done a good job overall but hopefully he learns from that. He makes that catch and Jones is 15-16 passing and probably 2 scores in 3 possessions. I think if the line holds up Jones is going to have a breakout season. He has the talent. He’s never had the surrounding cast to succeed.

Yeah, can’t tell anything really other than what we watched the previous two seasons was the worst offense in college or the NFL. The QB is still a one-read guy, but maybe this offense helps make for more successful first reads!
What are you watching? Jones went through his reads quickly and often checked down. Anything but a 1 read QB.

Webb was impressive. He was also playing with 3rd stringers & a center that could barely snap him the ball. It's obvious he's a totally different QB than the Giants originally drafted in 2017.

If Jones does go down again this year they're in much better shape with Webb & Taylor than they were with Glennon & Fromm.

Defense still really concerns me though.
Agreed on Webb but keep in mind he had a competent coach the past few years. I’m looking forward to Jones development under Daboll. If you watched the game they compared Jones and Allen’s stats during their time. They are almost identical with the exception of wins. With the dumpster fire of a roster Gettleman put together you can’t put that in Jones

Missed out on Cody Ford to bolster your line. Brandon Beane, the master, getting 5th round value for a guy he was going to cut.

Reactions: SHUHitman
images

Missed out on Cody Ford to bolster your line. Brandon Beane, the master, getting 5th round value for a guy he was going to cut.

Can't believe we got a 5th for him and got his salary off the books. He was having a nice camp, but the reality was he could only play guard and our team prefers versatile lineman. We'll need that cap savings come November when we sign OBJ lol. (hope not)

Can't believe we got a 5th for him and got his salary off the books. He was having a nice camp, but the reality was he could only play guard and our team prefers versatile lineman. We'll need that cap savings come November when we sign OBJ lol. (hope not)

Ugh definitely hope not

Inside Daniel Jones’ progress learning Brian Daboll’s new Giants offense​

By Paul Schwartz

The pass should have been caught. Head coach Brian Daboll said as much.

Rookie tight end Daniel Bellinger did not make the catch in the second preseason game, and the initial response from Daniel Jones — who threw the pass — was this: “I can probably do a better job of getting the ball down, and I know he’ll make that play.’’

Fine. Jones is not going to call out a 21-year-old NFL novice. But did he have to critique his own involvement in the play as he protected his young teammate?

“Everybody does it in their own way,’’ new Giants quarterbacks coach Shea Tierney the told The Post. “That’s the one thing I always want Daniel to do is just be him. I’ve been around a lot of quarterbacks, I haven’t really been around a quarterback who will dress down guys in front of people. They kind of understand who they’re talking to, understand who they are first and just handle it in their own way, which Daniel has done. That’s how we want him to be.’’

How the Giants want Jones to be does not always sync with what fans of the team want their quarterback to be. It did not seem possible that Jones could be more reserved in his outward demeanor than Eli Manning, but he is. Of course, by his fourth NFL season, Manning had already twice taken the Giants to the playoffs. In his fourth year, Manning helped the franchise win its third Super Bowl.

Jones is pleasantly bland and predictably self-analytical when it comes to his performance, spreading praise when it is appropriate and unfailingly changing the subject whenever there is merely a hint of accusation that his protection was not solid or one of his receivers ran a sloppy route.

“I’ve never seen him have a side to where he was upset or something like that,’’ said receiver David Sills, one of Jones’ closest friends on the team.

“Maybe joking around after the game or something like that. But he’s never on the sideline like, ‘I need you to catch that ball.’ We hold each other to a high standard, so even if it’s not said, we know that we need to make the play.’’

Jones’ best attribute might be his patience. When Manning, who was in the same offense for more than a decade, was told he had to learn an entirely new system — new plays, new footwork, new reads, new priorities (this was when Tom Coughlin hired Ben McAdoo in 2014) — Manning was more than a bit restless. Everything he worked so diligently to master was altered, and he did not enjoy feeling like the new kid in class.

Jones has been put through the ringer, first learning Pat Shurmur’s offense, then Jason Garrett’s offense, then making adjustments when Garrett was replaced by Freddie Kitchens. As he is set to embark on his fourth NFL season, Jones was handed Daboll’s playbook, and it was back to square one.

“It’s a process, and we’re constantly learning and improving day-to-day,’’ Jones said. “I felt like we’ve had a good camp. What is most important is what we do from this point on and how much we can still improve. That’s what we’re focused on.’’

There were days in training camp when Jones and the offense looked lost. Other sessions were better but rarely inspiring. In two preseason games, Jones has completed 76.9 percent of his passes, mostly sticking to short and intermediate stuff. The five series with their starting quarterback: field goal, punt, stopped on downs, interception, running back rushing touchdown. The Giants ran base plays and kept their offense vanilla, with Daboll expected to add plenty of flavor once the games count.

It is foolhardy to expect Jones will have it all down in a few weeks and get to the Sept. 11 season opener against the Titans with full command of this new system.

“I don’t think you ever get to 100 percent,’’ Tierney said. “You are always pushing the envelope of what you can do to make this skill set of the guys you have better.’’

Daboll, Jones, offensive coordinator Mike Kafka and Tierney are in the nascent stages of their working relationship. In the past few weeks, Jones has become more comfortable making suggestions, more forceful in verbalizing which plays he wants more of and which he can do without.

“If you like those plays, we’re going to put them in,’’ Daboll said, revealing some of his conversation with Jones. “Those are comfortable plays for you, we’ll put them in. It’s not a big deal. He’s like, ‘OK.’ We’re still building that process, that relationship. And I love the kid, figuring out exactly what we’re going to try to be.’’

This was the way it was when Daboll ran the offense in Buffalo and was handed Josh Allen as his young quarterback.

“The plays four years ago we were running were way different than the plays we were running four years from now,’’ Daboll said of the development of the Bills’ offense with Allen. “It’s a continual evolution of time, effort, timing, discussions, protections, routes, all these different things, personnel groupings that go into it. And it takes time.’’

Will Jones be afforded that time? He is entering the final year of his contract. Daboll and new general manager Joe Schoen want it to work, but they did not draft Jones and thus are not as invested in him as the Bills’ coaching staff and front office was in Allen. Plus, there is a viable option behind him in Tyrod Taylor, ready at a moment’s notice.

After the Giants won the Super Bowl following the 2007 season, Manning’s “street cred’’ in the locker room was untouchable. Jones is indisputably popular with the players around him — there is virtually nothing not to like about him — but until he experiences any real success and the Giants start winning some games, the hangdog look affixed to Jones’ face after losses will be his familiar countenance.

Swagger without winning is a lack of self-awareness. Jones understands players at his position are judged by the results on the scoreboard. He keeps a low profile, but those on the inside insist he can let loose within the confines of the team.

“He has it,’’ Tierney said. “It doesn’t always have to be an every-minute thing. Some guys when they get on the field they have it. When they’re in the meeting room, they have it. And Daniel does. Even more recently the last few weeks probably seen it more than I have previously, that just speaks to how comfortable he’s getting.’’

Comfort takes time, and the clock is ticking.

Reactions: PirateFan94
It is foolhardy to expect Jones will have it all down in a few weeks and get to the Sept. 11 season opener against the Titans with full command of this new system.

“I don’t think you ever get to 100 percent,’’ Tierney said. “You are always pushing the envelope of what you can do to make this skill set of the guys you have better.’’

Daboll, Jones, offensive coordinator Mike Kafka and Tierney are in the nascent stages of their working relationship. In the past few weeks, Jones has become more comfortable making suggestions, more forceful in verbalizing which plays he wants more of and which he can do without.

“If you like those plays, we’re going to put them in,’’ Daboll said, revealing some of his conversation with Jones. “Those are comfortable plays for you, we’ll put them in. It’s not a big deal. He’s like, ‘OK.’ We’re still building that process, that relationship. And I love the kid, figuring out exactly what we’re going to try to be.’’

This was the way it was when Daboll ran the offense in Buffalo and was handed Josh Allen as his young quarterback.

“The plays four years ago we were running were way different than the plays we were running four years from now,’’ Daboll said of the development of the Bills’ offense with Allen. “It’s a continual evolution of time, effort, timing, discussions, protections, routes, all these different things, personnel groupings that go into it. And it takes time.’’

Will Jones be afforded that time? He is entering the final year of his contract. Daboll and new general manager Joe Schoen want it to work, but they did not draft Jones and thus are not as invested in him as the Bills’ coaching staff and front office was in Allen. Plus, there is a viable option behind him in Tyrod Taylor, ready at a moment’s notice.

After the Giants won the Super Bowl following the 2007 season, Manning’s “street cred’’ in the locker room was untouchable. Jones is indisputably popular with the players around him — there is virtually nothing not to like about him — but until he experiences any real success and the Giants start winning some games, the hangdog look affixed to Jones’ face after losses will be his familiar countenance.

Swagger without winning is a lack of self-awareness. Jones understands players at his position are judged by the results on the scoreboard. He keeps a low profile, but those on the inside insist he can let loose within the confines of the team.

“He has it,’’ Tierney said. “It doesn’t always have to be an every-minute thing. Some guys when they get on the field they have it. When they’re in the meeting room, they have it. And Daniel does. Even more recently the last few weeks probably seen it more than I have previously, that just speaks to how comfortable he’s getting.’’

Comfort takes time, and the clock is ticking.
Mara summed it up when they hired this new regime…. We did everything possible as an organization to screw this kid up.

His best year was his rookie year under Shurmer. The only coach he’s had with a modern offense.
I have a feeling he’s going to have a solid year. It’s the first time since then he’ll have a modern offense and the first time overall he’ll have an NFL caliber o line. Hopefully his weapons stay healthy and we see what he’s capable of.

Reactions: Burnsly
Always depends on the O line. That is the qualifier for everything.

Daboll's offense is based on getting the ball out and always having a quick check-down. That gives Jones a chance to excel early IMO. But if they get behind and he has to throw the ball downfield, that is when we will see if he has made strides or not.

Always depends on the O line. That is the qualifier for everything.

Daboll's offense is based on getting the ball out and always having a quick check-down. That gives Jones a chance to excel early IMO. But if they get behind and he has to throw the ball downfield, that is when we will see if he has made strides or not.
Daboll’s offense is about route options based on what the defense is giving you and a lot of crossing routes. These are areas where Robinson and Toney can excel. Let them catch it on a cross with separation And let them run for the extra yards for big plays. Just like Tyreek Hill in KC with Kafka’s offense.

Daboll’s offense is about route options based on what the defense is giving you and a lot of crossing routes. These are areas where Robinson and Toney can excel. Let them catch it on a cross with separation And let them run for the extra yards for big plays. Just like Tyreek Hill in KC with Kafka’s offense.
Agree unfortunately one is a rookie and the other can hardly stay on the field.

Look at the Giants early schedule , they open at Tennessee, then are home to Carolina, Dallas , Chicago , GB and then at Baltimore and would anyone be surprised if the went 1 - 5 or at best 2 - 4 . They may be better but their overall record may not reflect their improved play.

What are you watching? Jones went through his reads quickly and often checked down. Anything but a 1 read QB.
One preseason recently he completed 83% of his passes. He’s been great against backup defenses this time too.

It’s now or never. He has had terrible field vision, bad ball security, and struggles with the speed of defenses in the NFL. It’s Year 4. Daboll’s offense with Kafka will help to get motion, guys in space, clearer throwing windows for him to decide, and so here’s hoping.

One preseason recently he completed 83% of his passes. He’s been great against backup defenses this time too.

It’s now or never. He has had terrible field vision, bad ball security, and struggles with the speed of defenses in the NFL. It’s Year 4. Daboll’s offense with Kafka will help to get motion, guys in space, clearer throwing windows for him to decide, and so here’s hoping.
Terrible field vision? What vision do you expect when the QB Is under pressure before he reaches his full drop back. I’ll give you ball security his first 2 years when he ran with the ball. He was better last year. I don’t fault him for the fumbles when he’s getting hit blind side. His skill set is very similar to Allen. His miners are similar. Doesn’t mean he’ll become Allen but he has the talent. I’m excited to see what this coaching staff can do to get him to the next level.

The offensive scheme will be better. Daboll and Kafka are a 180-degree change from what Garrett had them doing. On paper the Giants have some good skill players with Barkley, Toney, Robinson, Golladay, and Shepard. If Daboll/Kafka can't get them open, forget it.

On the OL, idk. Thomas is legit, Neal should be better than what they had at OT last year and Glowinski is a huge upgrade over Hernandez at guard. But again if the scheme can help the OL - the current major trend in the NFL - it may look better.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread injuries to players can impact a team’s performance and it’s record and the Giants have been hit hard by injuries and anywhere from 15 to 17 players will not suit up for the game against the Jets . In point of fact the Giants will be very active in scanning the waiver wire as teams cut down to their 53 man roster to fill out their roster and practice squad.

New York Giants QB Tyrod Taylor carted to locker room after hard hit vs. New York Jets​

Jordan Raanan
ESPN Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants backup quarterback Tyrod Taylor suffered a back injury on a hard hit in Sunday's preseason game against the New York Jets and was carted to the locker room.

Taylor was starting the Giants' preseason finale with starter Daniel Jones being given the afternoon off. He rolled to his right late in the first quarter and was hit by Jets rookie defensive end Micheal Clemons after throwing a pass.

The play went for a 25-yard completion to tight end Daniel Bellinger, but Taylor remained on the ground until he was treated by the Giants' medical staff. He eventually jogged off the field but went immediately to the blue medical tent for observation.

"He should be OK," Giants coach Brian Daboll said after his team's 31-27 loss. "I don't think there is anything. He just landed hard and talked to him at halftime."

Taylor seemed to be moving fine on the sideline in street clothes in the second half.

When Taylor emerged from the tent, he hopped on a cart and was taken to the locker room. Third-string quarterback Davis Webb took Taylor's place and would be next in line behind Jones should Taylor's injury force him to miss time.

Webb went 30-of-38 for 202 yards with a touchdown pass and no interceptions against the Jets. He was 60-of-81 (74%) for 458 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions this preseason.

The Giants signed Taylor this past offseason to be the veteran backup behind Jones. It was imperative that they had a contingency plan after things went awry last season, when Mike Glennon and Jake Fromm served as replacement starters for the final six games while Jones was out with a neck injury.

New York lost all six of those games and averaged just 9.3 points per game.

Taylor, 33, has started games in his career for the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Chargers and Houston Texans. He signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the Giants this offseason.

I feel like we have at least a chance to win some games. I’ve been impressed with Davis Webb, makes some plays and gets rid of the ball quickly. I’m not calling for him to start but if Jones goes down Webb is a better backup than we had last year. Plus he plays with some fire. How great would it be if Giants played 500 ball and were at least competitive. Their was a time when I stayed home to watch the game on Sunday.

Reactions: HALL85
Still a significant lack of talent and depth on this team and lots of injuries. I'll believe it when I see it. Winning in this league is hard and right now its impossible to say where the Giants are after watching the 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Reactions: Potbelly407
Closing the talent gap that exists with the Giants roster will not be easy nor accomplished quickly. They have to get it right in the draft especially with their high picks and get lucky and land starters with a couple of their lower round picks as well. Another key element is to correct the problem they’ve had with their cap space and not overpay for the free agents they do sign like Gettleman did with Golloday .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT