Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Listening to a physician on the radio on my commute this morning:
- It could be more contagious, but not verified
- Do not know if symptoms are same or worse
- Do not know if it is as deadly as other strains
- Do not know the effect of vaccines on this strain
- Do not know impact of those with higher antibodies
The physician basically said there is nothing the public can do right now, nor would he advise to do.

Yet, the MSM/WHO this weekend is creating hysteria with "race against the clock" and "bracing for" and a "very high global risk" without any guidance. And travel restrictions are okay now...lol

im really tired of covid.

its covid 2019 and were still full blast going into 2022...

Yet, the MSM/WHO this weekend is creating hysteria with "race against the clock" and "bracing for" and a "very high global risk" without any guidance.

The WHO did not create any hysteria. They have an advisory group which monitors virus evolution.
There was a mutation and they reported it as a variant of concern.

Here is a link to WHO technical brief, which does include what they know as of now, and guidance for member states.

Could be something, could be nothing. I didn't watch any news about it, so I am sure the media went overboard as they always do.

Just another scare tactic. The South African doctor said only mild illness has been observed. This is all part of the virus mutating to become less virulent as it seeks to stay alive. Every respiratory virus does this.

It's beyond past time to end covid hysteria, but the people in power (media/politicians) love it. Keeps ratings and interest high.

Funny how they skipped over the greek letter xi. Can't piss off the Chinese dictator! LOL!!

Just another scare tactic. The South African doctor said only mild illness has been observed. This is all part of the virus mutating to become less virulent as it seeks to stay alive. Every respiratory virus does this.

It's beyond past time to end covid hysteria, but the people in power (media/politicians) love it. Keeps ratings and interest high.
mild illness in vaccinated people

The WHO did not create any hysteria. They have an advisory group which monitors virus evolution.
There was a mutation and they reported it as a variant of concern.

Here is a link to WHO technical brief, which does include what they know as of now, and guidance for member states.

Could be something, could be nothing. I didn't watch any news about it, so I am sure the media went overboard as they always do.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/warns-omicron-covid-variant-poses-high-global-risk-rcna6892

Sounds like they are creating hysteria to me without much data to support the claim.

That does seem to be the most likely scenario but it is not really a rule. It is possible that it does mutate into something more contagious and more virulent. That is why we should watch for potential mutations and respond accordingly.

That does seem to be the most likely scenario but it is not really a rule. It is possible that it does mutate into something more contagious and more virulent. That is why we should watch for potential mutations and respond accordingly.
its very typical for naturally occurring viruses, but for ones that escaped from a lab??

🧐

(slight sarcasm here)

Reactions: Merge
Not from that link. They said we don't know enough at this point but there are a large number of mutations that are concerning.

They should report on their findings. The media should cover it so people understand what is going on.
Omicron has an unprecedented number of spike mutations, some of which are concerning for their potential impact on the trajectory of the pandemic,” the body said in the report it tweeted out. “If another major surge of Covid-19 takes place driven by omicron, consequences may be severe.”

I guess we read things differently.

its very typical for naturally occurring viruses, but for ones that escaped from a lab??

🧐

(slight sarcasm here)

It's a valid point. How can you believe it is predictable at all if you believe this was created by or intentionally released by China. Theoretically, wouldn't they be able to program mutations as well?

Reactions: SHUSA
Omicron has an unprecedented number of spike mutations, some of which are concerning for their potential impact on the trajectory of the pandemic,” the body said in the report it tweeted out. “If another major surge of Covid-19 takes place driven by omicron, consequences may be severe.”

I guess we read things differently.

Yes, we do. That is just reporting.

What the scientists found so far was concerning and it could get really bad especially in certain parts of the world.

Funny how they skipped over the greek letter xi. Can't piss off the Chinese dictator! LOL!!
Spot on. Mutating down as expected.

Reactions: shu09
The latest from the President. Lockdowns won't be imposed "as of now" but President Biden said they are the table. President Biden is also encouraging states to enforce indoor masking mandates again. So it looks like I could be right about a winter surge and restrictions/masking requirements at Seton hall games...

The latest from the President. Lockdowns won't be imposed "as of now" but President Biden said they are the table. President Biden is also encouraging states to enforce indoor masking mandates again. So it looks like I could be right about a winter surge and restrictions/masking requirements at Seton hall games...

Nope, Covid will turn into a common cold and this variant is the start.

Delta wasn't the start? What's your explanation on why Delta wasn't the start of covid turning into the common cold?
Doctors reporting Omicron much less viral than Delta and that will lead to a common cold. Coronaviruses look to survive and they do it by mutating down.

It's a valid point. How can you believe it is predictable at all if you believe this was created by or intentionally released by China. Theoretically, wouldn't they be able to program mutations as well?
even if it was just studied and not created in the lab, the road points towards maybe this isnt a typical virus

Doctors reporting Omicron much less viral than Delta and that will lead to a common cold.

Again, I do hope that is the case but there is just not enough data out there to know if that is true or not especially with how differently the virus has impacted people based on age and comorbidities.

Need a much larger sample size.

Coronaviruses look to survive and they do it by mutating down.

Again, that is not a rule. All viruses constantly mutate when they replicate. When one of the mutation makes it easier to spread then it has a better chance to infect others but if you get really sick then you will be staying home making it less likely your mutation infects others. It's not like a virus is intelligent and wants to become less virulent, it is based on the probability that your mutation will be passed on.

The latest from Murphy. As of now elective surgeries won't be postponed because of omicron Variant. But that and lockdowns are not off the table. I think our government officials know what will happen (future surge, lockdowns etc.) But they are just shrugging it off right now.

Remember that I predicted this!

The CDC is now changing the language of its booster recommendation. All adults in the United States are recommended to get a booster jab 6 months after their second moderna/Pfizer jab or 2 months after their J&J jab.

As explained to me today, only a very small fraction of infected COVID positives are actually being tested for the new variant. Likely there are thousands of people walking around with Omicron in the US, and been here for weeks.

As explained to me today, only a very small fraction of infected COVID positives are actually being tested for the new variant. Likely there are thousands of people walking around with Omicron in the US, and been here for weeks.
yea i think everyone i know right now prob has it

The longer the politicians play the covid book, the worse it'll be for Democrats in next year's elections. Happy to see the president move away from further mandates and potential shutdowns today. Eventually they will have to let this go as the American people want to move on.

Everything I've seen so far indicates this new scariant is a mild virus. Anyone panicking is an idiot.

Reactions: King of S
The longer the politicians play the covid book, the worse it'll be for Democrats in next year's elections. Happy to see the president move away from further mandates and potential shutdowns today. Eventually they will have to let this go as the American people want to move on.

Everything I've seen so far indicates this new scariant is a mild virus. Anyone panicking is an idiot.
but it sounds cool

I warned the board a couple months ago the unvaccinated would be locked down. My prediction is now right. Unvaccinated are now being locked down in Germany. I think you're wrong about the president moving away from further mandates and potential shutdowns. Biden will lockdown the unvaccinated too. That's why omicron agenda is getting pushed.

We really just don’t have enough data to know yet. Covid hospitalizations in South Africa started increasing this week.

Cant really say it’s worse or not as bad as any other variant at this point unless you’re guessing.

I warned the board a couple months ago the unvaccinated would be locked down. My prediction is now right. Unvaccinated are now being locked down in Germany. I think you're wrong about the president moving away from further mandates and potential shutdowns. Biden will lockdown the unvaccinated too. That's why omicron agenda is getting pushed.

So if he locks down the unvaccinated, you'll be OK with certain of our players not being able to play?

i think its more contagious, and still hits u relatively hard. i know tons of people know going through covid. raging like wildfire more than any other month from the start.

im thinking i had the beginning of it early november

We really just don’t have enough data to know yet. Covid hospitalizations in South Africa started increasing this week.

Cant really say it’s worse or not as bad as any other variant at this point unless you’re guessing.
Correct...And we have no idea whether these hospitalizations are legacy, Delta, Omicron, etc.

Huh?

Correct...And we have no idea whether these hospitalizations are legacy, Delta, Omicron, etc.

Exactly. I’m not making an argument either way. I’d guess it will take another 2-3 weeks to get a better understanding.

Exactly. I’m not making an argument either way. I’d guess it will take another 2-3 weeks to get a better understanding.
Probably a little longer than that.

It would be helpful if the MSM were accurate about how many people are actually being tested for Omicron. The impression is that it’s only a handful of cases and it just reached the US this week, which is not true.

Probably a little longer than that.

It would be helpful if the MSM were accurate about how many people are actually being tested for Omicron. The impression is that it’s only a handful of cases and it just reached the US this week, which is not true.

It may be true. We don’t know yet. We don’t do full gene sequencing on every Covid positive test. We sample them and monitor for changes.

It’s really not that dissimilar to when there is a new flu strain. People hear there is a new strain but they never find out anything else.

Within 2-3 weeks we should have an understanding of if this variant behaves different than others by watching what happens in South Africa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT