ADVERTISEMENT

Providence continues the 'arms' race

That's impressive. Good for PC. Imagine South Orange allowing the school to erect that monstrosity?

It's no so much the endowment as much as having a core of big-time donors, plus a lot of overall alumni $$$ support. This is the difference when you have a giving rate that's a lot higher than 9 percent.

Reactions: garyshu71
PC has an endowment of close to $200 million while SH's is $264 million. PC completed a major fundraising campaign last year that exceeded its $140 million goal and yes, they have had a history of having major donors with deep pockets.

Great for PC and great for the BE. To see the progress this league has made in four years is really impressive, imo.

That's impressive. Good for PC. Imagine South Orange allowing the school to erect that monstrosity?

Let's not forget that any attempt to construct new or expanded athletic facilities by SH is handicapped not only by the Village of South Orange's attitude toward the University but by a total lack of space to build on. Then of course there is the financial consideration of where the money comes from to do so.

Let's not forget that any attempt to construct new or expanded athletic facilities by SH is handicapped not only by the Village of South Orange's attitude toward the University but by a total lack of space to build on. Then of course there is the financial consideration of where the money comes from to do so.

Exactly, sure SO is often against SHU projects, but if we had lots of empty acres of land I think that would help minimize the resistance from the local community on many projects. Problem is no matter where SHU builds, it can be seen from the neighboring communities, also due to the amount of buildings we currently have on such a small piece of land, it also often requires variances due to the amount of land coverage we are using.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Space is our biggest challenge. We could find the money the space just isn't there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate6711
Space is our biggest challenge. We could find the money they space just isn't there.
No problem, we build up.

Oh wait.

If SHU ever built its own stadium i would commit in blood to be a lifetime ticket holder. in blood.

Providence has got it going. Good coach, new facilities, 4 straight trips to the NCAA's, everyone back, a nice 4 person 2017 recruiting class including top 50 pt guard Makai Ashton-Langford and an expected great class in 2018 with 12 offers to top 100 kids with Friar leans.

Reactions: cubbob
Its arena is still a dump!
Why do you feel this way? When is the last time you have been there? The arena had a $70 million dollar renovation about 6 years ago. New everything and the sight lines were and remain as good as any for basketball. There is not a bad seat in the house.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Why do you feel this way? When is the last time you have been there? The arena had a $70 million dollar renovation about 6 years ago. New everything and the sight lines were and remain as good as any for basketball. There is not a bad seat in the house.

Nothing wrong with the Dunk at all, and I was there like 15 years ago. The end seating always seemed a little far back to me, but I never sat there. I wouldn't mind making it back there again soon.

Nothing wrong with the Dunk at all, and I was there like 15 years ago. The end seating always seemed a little far back to me, but I never sat there. I wouldn't mind making it back there again soon.
Yeah, it's a bit different than when you were there, the court is lighter wood and instead of black in the key and the baselines, end lines, it's light grey. Gives it a more classic look.
DunkinDonutsCtr_4054_Gallery1.jpg

I like it, too, and I haven't even been there since that big reno. Previously, it wasn't a fancy place, but it got the job done. I've always liked the games there, plus you can walk right over to the restaurants after the game, too.

PC has fewer alumni than SHU and yet consistently raises more money. Our graduates are frankly cheap to alma mater. If money was raised, SHU could easily renovate our practice facility to make it more than acceptable.

PC has fewer alumni than SHU and yet consistently raises more money. Our graduates are frankly cheap to alma mater. If money was raised, SHU could easily renovate our practice facility to make it more than acceptable.
That may be true but PC has alumni scattered through all levels of City and State Government and that helps and of course they are the cities team as much as they are the alumni's

Great area around the arena. Wish we had time to visit campus last booster trip. Had a wonderful time staying downtown
The revitalization of that city is nothing short of a minor miracle. It took years of illegal activity from the mayor to make it happen but the results speak for themselves. It was a pit in the 70's and 80's. But between the arts and the restaurants and of course the preservation society it is literally night and day from what it was.

There is an award winning podcast called crimetown that delves into it all. I suspect a movie or HBO show is in the works as well. But the podcast series is very good.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It's a decent arena but that court may be the ugliest in the Big East. Yuck.

The revitalization of that city is nothing short of a minor miracle. It took years of illegal activity from the mayor to make it happen but the results speak for themselves. It was a pit in the 70's and 80's. But between the arts and the restaurants and of course the preservation society it is literally night and day from what it was.

There is an award winning podcast called crimetown that delves into it all. I suspect a movie or HBO show is in the works as well. But the podcast series is very good.

You ever watch the Showtime series Brotherhood? Set & filmed in Providence & right up your alley if you're into the stuff you mentioned above.

Space is our biggest challenge. We could find the money the space just isn't there.
Space is indeed a major obstacle. Could they find somewhere close by to move some academic buildings? The Law and Medical schools are off campus, could they do the same with another branch of the school? No idea about the feasibility or logistics but maybe the Business School or the new Communications School could find a close area nearby that would allow them to knock down a couple of buildings on campus.

Xavier built the Cintas Center in 2000 for $46 Million but I venture to say it has been worth every penny. Other than basketball, it can be used as a venue for concerts, trade shows and other revenue-generating events. It could foster relationships throughout the state as a place to hold graduations, HS championships, camps/clinics, etc.

Sure it won't happen but it's fun to dream about.

We have a paltry 8 percent alumni giving rate. Out of 100.000 alums only about 8000 donate in some way. The emotional attachment just isn't there for many graduates.,

Could they find somewhere close by to move some academic buildings? The Law and Medical schools are off campus, could they do the same with another branch of the school?

IMO, the most "realistic" options for any type of expansion, be it academic or athletic, would be the following:

1) VA hospital on center street
2) Ivy Hill Park
3) Ivy Hill Apartment complex

If the school could somehow get their hands on any of those properties it would be a major win, but I don't think that will ever happen. I think in terms of real estate it is what it is and we just have to work with what we have.

I make the trip to the Dunk every year when we play them. Not a dump at all. Great bars & restaurants all within walking distance.

Reactions: P1RAT3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT