ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova @ Providence

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
We should root for Providence today in my opinion. Also, Marquette over Creighton. Third place would still be a reasonable chance should Marquette get that one. I think playing Providence in a 4/5 game would be advantageous.

Unless Prov comes back we are looking at a confident Nova team and a probable 4/5 game with SJU. Hall will have a lot of work to do. The Nova Game is the Deal.

We should root for Providence today in my opinion. Also, Marquette over Creighton. Third place would still be a reasonable chance should Marquette get that one. I think playing Providence in a 4/5 game would be advantageous.

So much for that

Reactions: chickenbox
But isnt it possible Marquette could end up in 4th place? They have several tough games to end the season.

Villanova is the best defensive team in the league. That's the story, and they're going to be a problem for us Wednesday.

Reactions: SOpirate
Beat uconn and a nova loss wont kill us. Lose to uconn and now we are in a must win situation against nova

But isnt it possible Marquette could end up in 4th place? They have several tough games to end the season.

Marquette would have to lose out (@ Creighton, vs. UConn, @ Xavier) and Seton Hall would have to go 2-1. Seton Hall would have the tiebreaker over Marquette by virtue of the win against UConn.

I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't call it likely. A lot rests on the MU/CU game today. If MU wins, then they're in the driver's seat for second. Bottom line for Seton Hall is go 2-1. That takes care of a lot of things.

Marquette would have to lose out (@ Creighton, vs. UConn, @ Xavier) and Seton Hall would have to go 2-1. Seton Hall would have the tiebreaker over Marquette by virtue of the win against UConn.

I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't call it likely. A lot rests on the MU/CU game today. If MU wins, then they're in the driver's seat for second. Bottom line for Seton Hall is go 2-1. That takes care of a lot of things.
Kolek is injured

Gotta give Neptune credit. Nova (and his job) looked to be hanging by a thread a few weeks ago. They could be a real dark horse if they keep shooting and defending at this level. Going to be a tall task beating them Wednesday.

Reactions: pirate AI
Villanova is the best defensive team in the league. That's the story, and they're going to be a problem for us Wednesday.
only way to counteract is good defense ourselves and force fast breaks

NOVA like St.Johns has a big advantage over Seton Hall and Providence, which is quality depth. Right now for Nova that is paying off for them, as is Hausen doing his best John Leahy impersonation. They have talent but still not sure how good Neptune is directing this team.

I think our loss to Providence is what will cost us if we don't make it in. If we had won that the game vs Nova Wednesday wouldn't be the must win.

Reactions: shu09
Short answer is we have been very good at home home (6-2) with the only losses being triple OT loss to Creighton (and questionable officiating) and Providence without Richmond. While Nova has looked good recently, Jay Wright is not coaching them so i like our chances. We are so due to beat Nova.

And btw, we heard this same thing about Nova rolling late last year, and then they got run out of MSG by Creighton.

Last edited:
Plus they embarrassed us last time so Shaheen will not be playing around

Reactions: HallX2
NOVA like St.Johns has a big advantage over Seton Hall and Providence, which is quality depth. Right now for Nova that is paying off for them, as is Hausen doing his best John Leahy impersonation. They have talent but still not sure how good Neptune is directing this team.

I think our loss to Providence is what will cost us if we don't make it in. If we had won that the game vs Nova Wednesday wouldn't be the must win.

Yep. That home loss to PC was inexcusable. That loss and the loss to Rutgers could be what doom us. But the team still has the opportunity to get past that. Just win.

If nova plays anything like they did today come Wednesday, we are looking at another home loss which would punch our ticket to the NIT (at best- it will depend on our net rating)

• Haha
Reactions: sussexcopirate
Nova is peaking at the right time.They have veteran leadership and a bench which is making a solid contribution.All of which is bad for us.

Reactions: pirate AI
were already in the NIT with our record, who needs that, we have a chance here, GET IT DONE

Marquette goes into the hornets nest at a juiced up Creighton and is in a one possession game late, playing without both Kolek and Ighodaro. Shows you how bad we were on Wednesday night. Disappointing.

This was the best result for us. Pushing providence closer the last 4 range

Not great that Nova has momentum prior to playing us. But we take care of business next Wednesday we’ll be firmly ahead of both PC and Nova

Reactions: SOpirate and Piratz
This was the best result for us. Pushing providence closer the last 4 range

Not great that Nova has momentum prior to playing us. But we take care of business next Wednesday we’ll be firmly ahead of both PC and Nova

I tend to agree. I did not think Villanova would go 0-2 on this road trip, so it's good they got a win out of the way before coming here. Still won't be easy, but I like them coming in off a win versus off a loss. Had they lost today, Wednesday's game would be an absolute must-win for them. It's still very important, but it's not make or break for them.

Providence has a lot of sweaty, sleepless nights ahead of them over the next two weeks. They only have one opportunity to improve their case as they get UConn at home next week. They also might have to play on day 1 of the BET now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT