ADVERTISEMENT

Rich irony: John Clougherty on blown calls

LOL

Clougherty said a rule he has always held to over decades of officiating is to err on the side of not making a call.

“The mindset is always, when I blow the whistle, I want to be able to justify the contact,” he said. “You have to be on the side of, let's make our no-calls our mistakes. Not the one where you blow the whistle and the replay embarrasses us because there's nothing there.”

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Cloughtery is famous for the biggest blown call in NCAA tournament history when he robbed Seton Hall of a national championship by calling a phantom foul back in 1989.

LOL

Clougherty said a rule he has always held to over decades of officiating is to err on the side of not making a call.

“The mindset is always, when I blow the whistle, I want to be able to justify the contact,” he said. “You have to be on the side of, let's make our no-calls our mistakes. Not the one where you blow the whistle and the replay embarrasses us because there's nothing there.”
Guy is cretinous.

Was decent of him to donate to the NIL matching here. Least he could do.

LOL

How is he still involved with officiating at all anywhere???
Amazing. He learned that by robbing us of a National Championship.

It was awful. Let the Michigan player take the 12 foot shot for the game. I believe it was guy named Hughes that would have shot it. To call that foul on a pass was horrendous.

Reactions: Piratz
It would break the internet today. It was that bad in a big spot and idk if he could ref again. He’s lucky it was 1989.
He was lucky that PJ didn't make a stink about it.

I met Clougherty many years ago on a Booster Club trip and he told a group of us that PJ saved his job by the way he handled the situation.

Clougherty knew he blew the call but was so grateful the way the Pirates handled the bad whistle.

..........Former referee John Clougherty, who worked in 12 Final Fours before becoming supervisor of refs in the Atlantic Coast and other conferences

That's the dad.

LOL

Maybe that’s the mantra he adopted after the final whistle of the 1989 season because it certainly wasn’t even his remote belief prior to that!

Clocherty should will his entire estate to Seton Hall’s NIL when he croaks! Still won’t be enough to repair the damage he did!

How is an article written about that subject and quoting that ref not mentioning 89 as at least an aside
Even worse, they use an example from 1990 (only one year later!) where he blew a call at the end of a Sweet 16 game. No mention of the national title game the year before that he royally messed up.

He was lucky that PJ didn't make a stink about it.

I met Clougherty many years ago on a Booster Club trip and he told a group of us that PJ saved his job by the way he handled the situation.

Clougherty knew he blew the call but was so grateful the way the Pirates handled the bad whistle.
Indeed.

In 2024 it wouldn’t have mattered how PJ handled it. The guy’s career would be toast. Just a ridiculous situation being whistle happy and anticipating contact with so much on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT