ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond has left the building

At this rate, every major team is going to have to.

All of this breaches any trust between a coach and a player.

One year contracts are what we have.
And recruiting (tampering) is a yearlong process. Do we not think that Kadary was getting calls during the season or Middleton for that matter. Opportunity for more handlers and more conversations.

New world of NIL and transfer portal is a real turn off.Can't sustain a fan base by tuning over virtually your entire roster every year.Interest will wane.
I don't really believe that. Fans root for uniforms and not players. If Seton Hall and Rutgers traded their entire rosters who would you root for? I am guessing Seton Hall with a roster of RU kids.

With the current administration, we don’t lead, we don’t even follow, we just sit and watch while trying to convince everyone else that we are actually doing something.
It will be the coaches job not the schools to assemble the team. Coaches job description has changed. Gone are the days when coaches waited for players to develop. Every year is now harder than the last for coaches, have to believe lots of older coaches will start packing it in soon. Coaches are well paid but are going to be working harder to earn the same money. I do get your point about the school but at least we now have a good practice facility.

Reactions: chickenbox
Players and coaches have the right to go where they want, and so do fans.

Wish KR the best, but SJU or Rutgers would bother me a bit. Much like an ex showing up to thanksgiving dinner with your brother. Some good will would be lost.
Good analogy, made me cringe reading LOL. Been saying money changes everything, look at the reception Cooley got in Providence. All bets are off when players started getting paid, I will not be booing but not sure how the Rock would respond if KR joined Pitino at St. John’s.

If you increase your standard of living too much based one big payday, you end up worse off. It's actually a bit dangerous for a 20-something. Stability, a good support system including fatherly coaches and mentors, good friends, family, etc. are essential to know how to live and perhaps manage a big one-time payday. Kadary would have been better off taking a few hundred thousand less than going for the gold, in my opinion. It may work out for him but it's a near occasion of trouble for any young person to get a huge payday.

With Kadary, who as of now doesn't apparently have the skills to make the NBA, a summer with a shooting coach and a huge number of shooting reps would be a better investment than entering the portal. He can do that in his new home but there will be a lot of adjustments.
Of course that’s one take, but pretty dumb for a grown adult to look at a 21 year old kid and say $1m isn’t life changing.

Now I’m not going to say Kadary will do anything responsible with the money and taxes are a thing, but he could drop $500k into an account and pretty comfortably draw $20k per year for most if not all of his life. What do you think his mom’s salary is? Would adding $20k to anyone’s number on an annual basis not be meaningful? If he’s in the g-league next year, an extra $20k cushion would be a significant double digit percentage in addition.

It’s sad that some look at these players through their lens instead of understanding that many did not grow up in strong family environments with food and shelter security. I’m not saying Kadary grew up in poverty, but to dismiss a $1m payday as ho-hum to a 21/22 year old is asinine.

It will be the coaches job not the schools to assemble the team. Coaches job description has changed. Gone are the days when coaches waited for players to develop. Every year is now harder than the last for coaches, have to believe lots of older coaches will start packing it in soon. Coaches are well paid but are going to be working harder to earn the same money. I do get your point about the school but at least we now have a good practice facility.
Forget the student part of student athlete we've proven that's a complete joke, at this point chapel Hill could probably sue for the money they got fined for those bogus classes and win. Aside from that circus though, how do players actually develop in this landscape? I would think they can't reach their full potential constantly changing schools.

Legit question: What year was the last time a Pitino player has been drafted in the first two rounds of the NBA draft?

If Pitino hasn't had a player drafted in the recent past, history means nothing other than the coach may be washed up. With major bucks filling his sails Pitino is doing so-so at best.

I did find this info: "At five collective collegiate coaching stops, Pitino has coached 29 players who were drafted or have played in the NBA, five of whom are active players. His 1996 NCAA Championship Kentucky team featured seven future NBA performers." Almost one quarter of Pitino's total NBA players came in one season 28 years ago.

Pitino's been coaching D-1 ball for 32 years.
Legit question: who was Sha’s last NBA pick?

Good analogy, made me cringe reading LOL. Been saying money changes everything, look at the reception Cooley got in Providence. All bets are off when players started getting paid, I will not be booing but not sure how the Rock would respond if KR joined Pitino at St. John’s.
I am sure most SHU fans would be livid if a 6'10 kid from RU names Cliff was wearing a SHU uni next year. We could never want to see an RU kid in SHU blue.

Would it be any different if Kooks just transferred before the pfp crap? IMO it is easier to forgive now. Cause while there could be many reasons, we can always blame the money now.

Could well be, but it seems like every time a high-profile kid enters the portal, seemingly bound for one particular destination, they soon find out their market value is considerably higher than they had thought. So while Kadary might be thinking St. John's, there is always some place with more to spend, and he's going to find out. This is one case where if it wasn't all about money, he'd still be a Pirate.

It is 100% about top dollar, nothing more or less.
That doesn’t make sense to me. Yes $ is a factor, but all of these kids think they are going to have good professional aspirations. If a kid thought playing for a coach or a school thought it would derail their professional career, why would they ever do that? It makes no sense. No doubt the money is a huge driving force, but a kid isn’t going to play somewhere where they think it won’t also help their basketball development.

I am sure most SHU fans would be livid if a 6'10 kid from RU names Cliff was wearing a SHU uni next year. We could never want to see an RU kid in SHU blue.

Would it be any different if Kooks just transferred before the pfp crap? IMO it is easier to forgive now. Cause while there could be many reasons, we can always blame the money now.
I take the first part of your post is sarcastic. Because there would be a celebration of celebrations if Big Cliff was here as the foundation of Sha’s defense.

Regarding loyalty and what a player owes a program and what he does not:

I have always said I am all for a player maximizing his payout in what for most is a very limited earning window. Most of these guys aren't going to be pros, let alone play in the NBA, so if their next move after college is to get a "real job," there are very few cases where they are going to earn this much in a year any time soon, if ever. So I say go get it. It's legal, and they'd be foolish to let the opportunity pass by. The game has used them for generations, so it's only fair they get to use the game now, too. It's not great for us fans, but it's also not really about us.

That isn't to say, however, that we don't matter at all. We are, after all the ones who ultimately make the sport as profitable as it is, so there are times when we have to factor into the equation. Because we are still so stepped in "the old way of doing things," it hurts to see a kid like Kadary go. It feels like a betrayal, but it really isn't. It's just a kid trying to make the most of his earning window. I think a lot of us do that in our careers, too, no? So when I step outside my fanhood, I understand him leaving.

But if you leave on good terms, there are also some things you ought not to smush back in the faces of your coach, your old teammates, or the fans who supported you. I don't like the idea of transferring within the conference, especially to a local. Kadary going to St. John's would be a slap in the face to us, mostly because it's not necessary. Her could get that money from plenty of other (and better) programs. The same would apply to him going to Rutgers, though that seems very unlikely. In both cases, it would erase so much of the good will he's built up. I feel that way and I'm one of the more pro-player-rights people there are.

I think that intra-conference movement is mitigated somewhat when the former program greases the skids for you to go. Dylan Addae-Wusu is a good example; Quick Rick didn't care to keep him, so to me, that's fair enough. The two situations are not equal.

Last edited:
I take the first part of your post is sarcastic. Because there would be a celebration of celebrations if Big Cliff was here as the foundation of Sha’s defense.
I'd be glad to get him -- I mean, he'd be a terrific fit for our team! -- but I wouldn't admire his character leaving Rutgers (who clearly would love to have him back) for their archrival.

Reactions: Piratz

I have always said I am all for a player maximizing his payout in what for most is a very limited earning window. Most of these guys aren't going to be pros, let alone play in the NBA, so if their next move after college is to get a "real job," there are very few cases where they are going to earn this much in a year any time soon, if ever. SO I say go get it. It's legal, and they'd be foolish to let the opportunity pass by. The game has used them for generations, so it's only fair they get to use the game now, too. It's not great for us fans, but it's also not really about us.

That isn't to say, however, that we don't matter at all. We are, after all the ones who ultimately make the sport as profitable as it is, so there are times when we have to factor into the equation. Because we are still so stepped in "the old way of doing things," it hurts to see a kid like Kadary go. It feels like a betrayal, but it really isn't. It's just a kid trying to make the most of his earning window. I think a lot of us do that in our careers, too, no? So when I step outside my fanhood, I understand him leaving.

But if you leave on good terms, there are also some things you ought not to smush back in the faces of your coach, your old teammates, or the fans who supported you. I don't like the idea of transferring within the conference, especially to a local. Kadary going to St. John's would be a slap in the face to us, mostly because it's not necessary. Her could get that money from plenty of other (and better) programs. The same would apply to him going to Rutgers, though that seems very unlikely. In both cases, it would erase so much of the good will he's built up. I feel that way and I'm one of the more pro-player-rights people there are.

I think that intra-conference movement is mitigated somewhat when the former program greases the skids for you to go. Dylan Addae-Wusu is a good example; Quick Rick didn't care to kep him, so to me, that's fair enough. The two situations are not equal.
Didn’t “care to keep him” is likely not right.

And remember we were going to take Posh too.

The horse is long out of the born on the intra-conference transfers.

If these kids are professionals now, nothing wrong with it.

Didn’t “care to keep him” is likely not right.

And remember we were going to take Posh too.

The horse is long out of the born on the intra-conference transfers.

If these kids are professionals now, nothing wrong with it.
My understanding was that neither was welcome back; Addae-Wusu outright, and Posh after breaking terms of his conditional return.

Reactions: The SHUttle
I don't really believe that. Fans root for uniforms and not players. If Seton Hall and Rutgers traded their entire rosters who would you root for? I am guessing Seton Hall with a roster of RU kids.
While I agree....There's never been a rent a player format in any sport. That's exactly what college sports has become. Imagine Mahomes, Brady, Montana, Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc moving from team to team every single year. Yeah maybe it's great to find an Andrew Gaze here and there but it's no fun to root for 10+ different guys every single year. It's just not going to be fun to root for the front of the jersey knowing full well nobody wearing the jersey cares about the front of the jersey.

My understanding was that neither was welcome back; Addae-Wusu outright, and Posh after breaking terms of his conditional return.
Per the St. John’s fans on trolleys discord:

Posh was welcomed back, but went to dinner with his girlfriend and skipped a mandatory workout with Rick & Co

Wusu was never welcomed back as there were some rumors that he punched a student manager in the face and Anderson handled it quietly w/ $ which was part of the for cause firing

The horses are innocent!

Excited Lets Go GIF

I have always said I am all for a player maximizing his payout in what for most is a very limited earning window. Most of these guys aren't going to be pros, let alone play in the NBA, so if their next move after college is to get a "real job," there are very few cases where they are going to earn this much in a year any time soon, if ever. SO I say go get it. It's legal, and they'd be foolish to let the opportunity pass by. The game has used them for generations, so it's only fair they get to use the game now, too. It's not great for us fans, but it's also not really about us.

I think that intra-conference movement is mitigated somewhat when the former program greases the skids for you to go. Dylan Addae-Wusu is a good example; Quick Rick didn't care to kep him, so to me, that's fair enough. The two situations are not equal.
Very good analysis.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT