ADVERTISEMENT

Seems Like Donald Trump Jr admitted to looking for Russian Info

Nice dust-off of a post. Keep hoping, liberals. Keep on , keeping on !!

Hoping what?
I was called a conspiracy theorist in this thread because I thought Don Jr took a meeting with someone connected to the Kremlin in order to get dirt on Hillary.

First it was he didn't know who he was meeting with, then it was he didn't think they were offering dirt, then she wasn't connection to Russia.. etc.

The truth was blatantly obvious unless you were avoiding it.

Reactions: shuvrp
Kind of get the feeling that if his name were Obama... The president admitting his campaign was willing to meet with a foreign adversary in order to obtain dirt on a political opponent would get some discussion going here.

6/7: Trump Tower meeting planning session. (Per Guilliani)
6/7: Trump announces upcoming "Clinton dirt" speech.
6/8: Russia launches DCLeaks.
6/9: Trump-Russia meeting at Trump Tower.
6/14: Russia launches Guccifer 2.0.
6/15: Guccifer releases first DNC e-mails.

Such coincidences.
Trump dictating a false statement for Don Jr's response shows consciousness of guilt.
Will be interesting to see where this goes from here. Gonna get ugly eventually.

Kind of get the feeling that if his name were Obama... The president admitting his campaign was willing to meet with a foreign adversary in order to obtain dirt on a political opponent would get some discussion going here.

And by the same token, you and cern would be full-time apologetics.

Gonna get ugly eventually.

Hard to argue with that.

And by the same token, you and cern would be full-time apologetics.

May appear that way as liberals on this board are in the minority and there tend to be a lot more anti-democratic posts.

I can assure you though, had Hillary been elected president and it came out that Chelsea took a meeting with an adversarial foreign government to get dirt on a political opponent, I would not be going through any of the hoops that some people in this thread to downplay/defend that meeting.

May appear that way as liberals on this board are in the minority and there tend to be a lot more anti-democratic posts.

I can assure you though, had Hillary been elected president and it came out that Chelsea took a meeting with an adversarial foreign government to get dirt on a political opponent, I would not be going through any of the hoops that some people in this thread to downplay/defend that meeting.
Nor would you be spinning the nonstop conspiracy theories....

Reactions: cernjSHU

Nah they would just dig up dirt on the Clinton Foundation taking money from foreign governments once a few deals went through. Either way the American people lose with the two candidates we had to choose from last election.

Nor would you be spinning the nonstop conspiracy theories....

We know Russians were reaching out to the Trump campaign to help. We know we know the Trump campaign was willing to accept their help. We know the the Trump campaign lied about having 80+ contacts with Russians.You really think it's a "conspiracy theory" to think it is likely that they did what they all showed they were all willing/trying to do?

We know Russians were reaching out to the Trump campaign to help. We know we know the Trump campaign was willing to accept their help. We know the the Trump campaign lied about having 80+ contacts with Russians.You really think it's a "conspiracy theory" to think it is likely that they did what they all showed they were all willing/trying to do?
Yes

If you say so.

Be back in a bit guys, there is this guy down the street offering to sell me drugs, and I would love to buy some drugs.
If you think I am buying drugs, you are a conspiracy theorist.

If you say so.

Be back in a bit guys, there is this guy down the street offering to sell me drugs, and I would love to buy some drugs.

If you come back without any drugs, then you didn't get any drugs.

If you come back without any drugs, then you didn't get any drugs.

I didn't know who I was meeting with. I met a guy and he talked to me about adoptions.

Oh, you know it was about drugs? What I meant was...

I didn't know who I was meeting in advance. A friend told me to meet him.

Oh, you know I knew I was meeting with a drug dealer looking for drugs? What I meant was...

He didn't have any drugs. Yep. Take my word for it.

I mean... you posted in this thread that Veselnitskaya could have been a democratic plant.
Somehow that is a more realistic conspiracy theory that Russians and the Trump campaign succeeded in what we know they were trying and willing to do?

I mean... you posted in this thread that Veselnitskaya could have been a democratic plant.
Somehow that is a more realistic conspiracy theory that Russians and the Trump campaign succeeded in what we know they were trying and willing to do?

Well, we do know as fact that she had meetings/dinners with the Fusion GPS people.

How timely, this just came out today:

2016 Trump Tower Meeting Looks Increasingly Like a Setup by Russian and Clinton Operatives
By Lee Smith, RealClearInvestigations
August 13, 2018

The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between high-ranking members of the Republican presidential campaign staff and a Russian lawyer with Kremlin ties remains the cornerstone of claims that Donald Trump colluded with Russia to steal the election.

A growing body of evidence, however, indicates that the meeting may have been a setup -- part of a broad effort to tarnish the Trump campaign involving Hillary Clinton operatives employed by Kremlin-linked figures and Department of Justice officials. This view, that the real collusion may have taken place among those who arranged the meeting rather than the Trump officials who agreed to attend it, is supported by two disparate lines of evidence pulled together for the first time here: newly released records and a pattern of efforts to connect the Trump campaign to Russia.

https://www.realclearinvestigations..._meeting_looks_increasingly_like_a_setup.html

If you say so.

Is that the same guy who told you Hillary would win the election? And you believed him?

2016 Trump Tower Meeting Looks Increasingly Like a Setup by Russian and Clinton Operatives
August 13, 2018

The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between high-ranking members of the Republican presidential campaign staff and a Russian lawyer with Kremlin ties remains the cornerstone of claims that Donald Trump colluded with Russia to steal the election.

A growing body of evidence, however, indicates that the meeting may have been a setup -- part of a broad effort to tarnish the Trump campaign involving Hillary Clinton operatives employed by Kremlin-linked figures and Department of Justice officials. This view, that the real collusion may have taken place among those who arranged the meeting rather than the Trump officials who agreed to attend it, is supported by two disparate lines of evidence pulled together for the first time here: newly released records and a pattern of efforts to connect the Trump campaign to Russia.

https://www.realclearinvestigations..._meeting_looks_increasingly_like_a_setup.html

President Trump was duped by Hillary Clinton? Oof.

August 13, 2018

I see a couple obvious problems with that theory.

1. If it was a setup to damage the campaign... Why would they not release anything about the meeting prior to the election? If the lawyer was a plant, they could have provided her with something to give to Trump Jr and they could then prove Trump was working with the Russians. Right? That would have been very easy to accomplish.

2. Even if you are willing to ignore that, Trump Jr was willing to accept the information against Hillary he believed to be coming directly from the Kremlin. That should be damning enough especially now knowing the full context of Papadapolous etc. If they weren't willing to accept help from Russia, these 80+ contacts that they had with Russians would not have happened.

August 13, 2018

Oh Please. This is ridiculous. Typical of Trump supporters to stand a theory upside down to make it like Trump is the victim.

Reactions: Merge
Lee Smith is no Trump supporter.

Doesn’t really make the theory less silly. His position still just doesn’t make sense. Why would Dems entrap him and do nothing?

Plus it doesn’t forgive the fact that Don Jr took the meeting in the first place. What Don Jr was trying to do was illegal. If he was above breaking the law, we wouldn’t be talking about this.

Russia wanted to help Trump win.
Trump camp was willing to let Russians help.
Russians helped.
There were 80+ undisclosed contacts with Russians that they lied about.

Occam’s Razor.

I think the events of today, specifically the Cohen case, are the beginning of the end of Trump's presidency.

I think the events of today, specifically the Cohen case, are the beginning of the end of Trump's presidency.

If you are referring to impeachment, I hope you are wrong. 85% of Republicans support the President and I do not expect that number to change very much with the recent news regarding Manafort and Cohen. An impeachment process will be a political and partisan spectacle that will solve nothing.

If you are referring to impeachment, I hope you are wrong. 85% of Republicans support the President and I do not expect that number to change very much with the recent news regarding Manafort and Cohen. An impeachment process will be a political and partisan spectacle that will solve nothing.

If dems take the house, I do believe that is where we are heading... though I also believe that the public will be presented with additional evidence beforehand.

Cohen signaled yesterday that he is willing to implicate Trump.
Last night his attorney suggested that Cohen has additional information relevant to Mueller and specifically talked about his knowledge of the hacking.

While I agree it could be a fairly ugly process if it happens, every president will maintain the support of their base while in office as they don't want to acknowledge the wrongdoing. Maintaining support doesn't give them a 4 year term without having to face any consequences of wrongdoing.

Not a good day for Trump.

The Manafort thing means little to nothing for Trump.

The Cohen thing, on the other hand, hinges on what else Cohen has to give up. Campaign finance violations are small potatoes, Obama violated campaign finance laws with higher dollar amounts. It's still, and always was, all about any collusion with Russia to affect the outcome of the election.

If the dems take the House in November, they'll no doubt try to impeach Trump, may not be successful, depends on how big a margin they may have. Short of direct evidence of collusion with Russia, the Senate (most likely still in repubs hands, maybe even gain a seat or two) will never vote to find Trump guilty of impeachment.

Be careful what you wish for, there will be consequences on all sides.

Last edited:
I think SHU09 may be correct. Trump is now attacking Cohen which means Trump knows that Cohen is singing and he is worried about what evidence he has. This will get uglier no doubt no matter what happens in the mid-terms.

This is also the game plan for most prosecutors. Go after the folks around the real target and pressure them to expose the skeletons that are in the closet. Manafort probably did not hurt Trump but Cohen is a different story. And it all started with Trump not being able to keep his Anthony Weiner in his pants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate6711
Not a good day for Trump.

The Manafort thing means little to nothing for Trump.

The Cohen thing, on the other hand, hinges on what else Cohen has to give up. Campaign finance violations are small potatoes, Obama violated campaign finance laws with higher dollar amounts. It's still, and always was, all about any collusion with Russia to affect the outcome of the election.

If the dems take the House in November, they'll no doubt try to impeach Trump, may not be successful, depends on how big a margin they may have. Short of direct evidence of collusion with Russia, the Senate (most likely still in repubs hands, maybe even gain a seat or two) will never vote to find Trump guilty of impeachment.

Be careful what you wish for, there will be consequences on all sides.
Tend to agree. Neither party is sitting in a position of strength from a public support standpoint. I also have a feeling we will see a lot of surprises in the mid-terms on both sides because of that (yes, the pollsters will be wrong again). Pretty much everyone on Capital Hill wants Trump out, but they are both pussies and don't trust each other (even in the same party) to do anything about it.

My hope is that we have a one term Trump Presidency, learn our lessons and nominate two high quality candidates for 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
While that is my hope as well, my expectation is far more bleak.
Call me crazy, but if we expect crap we get crap. We need to raise her level of expectations if we really want to see positive change. When you take ideology over leadership you see what happens.

Obama violated campaign finance laws with higher dollar amounts.

I think we can agree that a reporting error by a campaign is a little different than a direction to violate the law though, right?

I agree with that. I don't see impeachment without evidence implicating Trump in an aspect of collusion with Russia.
I do feel we will get to a point where we see Trump himself was directly involved in Russia's efforts though. With Cohen flipping, that may not be that far away.

I think we can agree that a reporting error by a campaign is a little different than a direction to violate the law though, right?

I'd agree with that if that's all it was but it wasn't. I'm sure you of all people can spin a nice conspiracy theory as to why Obama's campaign didn't require the use of a CVV code (to allow foreign donors?) and not returning donations until they got caught?

And the "he said-she said" between two known liars isn't really evidence yet.

Let the Mueller Investigation play out. Violations of Campaign finance laws is not Enough. Clearly, the investigation has been successful in finding corruption within the Trump Administration. There is absolutely no need for impeachment proceedings to happen when the Mueller Investigation is not complete. We have a Congress that has abdicated its role as a check on the President. That is the huge difference between now and Watergate. Only Mueller is performing that role. Until he is finished and comes out with his report, should impeachment proceedings begin.

Politically, what has been revealed what has happened with Trump and his colleagues should hav e destroyed this Presidency. However, for whatever reason, this man has a hold on people. There is now clear evidence that Trump was looking to Russia to help him with his campaign. That alone should be enough to show he should never hold the reigns of power. As I have said from the start, I believe there was a conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russia. Mueller will not only seek to get some evidence of criminal activity which he has with campaign finance laws, but he is looking for the kill shot for Trump.

We have a Congress that has abdicated its role as a check on the President.

LOL, that has been happening for years and years, abdicating the constitutional duties of separation of powers, that's not new to Trump.

Reactions: shu09
Call me crazy, but if we expect crap we get crap. We need to raise her level of expectations if we really want to see positive change. When you take ideology over leadership you see what happens.

Okay, you’re crazy. ;) There is a difference between my personal standards for politicians and citizens (not close to being met) and my expectations (what I think will happen). My expectations are based on reality. I'll quote myself from a different thread as to how I see where we are today:

Tell them that quote by Obama, which was heinously worded, was cherry-picked from a larger quote (see below), taken out of context and used as a political attack.
Tell them...
...too many know better, but don't care.
...we stopped listening to and trying to understand each other.
...about our echo chambers.
...how hyper-partisan we've become.
...about the state of political discourse.
...about the rise of the party extremes.
...far too many of us treat politics as sport, caring more about petty wins than effective policy.
...about our debt and what we're (not) doing about it.
...about all of our issues and what we're (not) doing about them.
...facts and truth stopped mattering.
...who our President is and all the things he's done and said.

I've watched the escalation of irresponsible partisanship beyond norms from Gingrich's tactics, to Dems overly hysterical reactions to GWB, to GOPs embarrassing you bloodied one of ours so we're going to kill one of yours BS with Obama, to the election of a dumb, lying clown to the highest office in the country. Why on earth should I expect positive change?

Reactions: Section112
I've watched the escalation of irresponsible partisanship beyond norms from Gingrich's tactics, to Dems overly hysterical reactions to GWB, to GOPs embarrassing you bloodied one of ours so we're going to kill one of yours BS with Obama, to the election of a dumb, lying clown to the highest office in the country. Why on earth should I expect positive change?

Good, good stuff but start it off with how hysterical the dems treated Reagan.

Okay, you’re crazy. ;) There is a difference between my personal standards for politicians and citizens (not close to being met) and my expectations (what I think will happen). My expectations are based on reality. I'll quote myself from a different thread as to how I see where we are today:

Semantics...I also don’t expect it to improve, but I don’t think we should just roll over and accept it without trying to change for the better. Never chose to be the victim and not starting now....better crazy:)

Good, good stuff but start it off with how hysterical the dems treated Reagan.

Really? The Dems treated Reagan very well. Ronnie criminalizes anyone doing business with Iran. Then goes and violates the same law with Iran Contra. No impeachment proceedings initiated against him. Contrast that to how the Republicans went after Clinton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT