ADVERTISEMENT

Super teams

The players can't just pick a team and say that is where I want to go to. It takes two two tango.

The players might have forced a trade but they don't get to pick a destination. Clearly they have teams in mind. But again it's nowhere near what free agency is now. There you can pick and choose.

Hmmm, funny though how three all ended up in LA. WHERE THEY WANTED TO GO.

Two of your examples did.

Shaq was free agency not a trade. And Malone was traded from Houston to Philly for Caldwell Jones and a future first-round pick.

very few top players leave their current teams even in free agency today. there's just been two especially high profile ones in the last 10 years (once twice) that makes this a conversation

Don't get how today's nba stinks if you loved back when the bulls won easily every season. The nba somehow endured that awful stretch when the cells won 9 out of 10. And, the nba endured it way more positively than me...
Sure the Bulls one every season, but at least it seemed like there was more competition. I didn't know who was going to play in the NBA finals before the season even started. Sure I could have easily made an educated guess but the last couple years it was blatantly obvious. The other thing is the Knicks were at least competitive back then. More interest was shown in the NBA by the NY metro area. Yes I know they still sell out but there's just not the same excitement.

very few top players leave their current teams even in free agency today. there's just been two especially high profile ones in the last 10 years (once twice) that makes this a conversation
The two best players in the world. Plus a lot of important pieces off the bench to supplement teams with a chance to win the title.

And often they take less to do that.

Need a hard cap or stringent penalties for those teams that go over the cap .

Lol I don't know about that, but he's looking pretty darn smart
how is he smart? even an idiot picks THE MOST WINNINGEST TEAM.

you are acting like it was some puzzle. it was clearly the easiest road. sacrifice your manhood for the easiest possible option. look adversity in the face and ask if theres an open position LOL.

Not many are. I'm sure a few championship rings will suffice
he could be if he just bucked up and didnt blow it twice. joining your enemy is such a b move. what would you say if our best players started graduating early and playing for nova?

he could be if he just bucked up and didnt blow it twice. joining your enemy is such a b move. what would you say if our best players started graduating early and playing for nova?

Enemy? Come on there are no enemies. The days of enemies in professional sports is just about gone. Enemies don't hang out together in the off season. These guys play on team USA together. At the end of the day they are on the same team of the players association.

the 90's chicago bulls would beat them all to a pulp, rodman would have durant thrown out by now

how is he smart? even an idiot picks THE MOST WINNINGEST TEAM.

you are acting like it was some puzzle. it was clearly the easiest road. sacrifice your manhood for the easiest possible option. look adversity in the face and ask if theres an open position LOL.

Yep, he's LOLing right to the bank!
I see you don't like him, and I don't care either way, but for you to not see this as a scary smart move, and one where he put winning over money... Which is rare, well.... Not sure I can help any further

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Why would Kevin want to live in OC when he can live in the Bay Area? Who wouldn't take that job offer?

Yep, he's LOLing right to the bank!
I see you don't like him, and I don't care either way, but for you to not see this as a scary smart move, and one where he put winning over money... Which is rare, well.... Not sure I can help any further
Your acting like wanting to play for the best team is some crazy unheard concept.

Then you say hes laughing to the bank but put money over winning.

Im not saying it was a stupid move. just a gutless one.

the 90's chicago bulls would beat them all to a pulp, rodman would have durant thrown out by now
Depends on what rules are used. The game was a lot different back then.

I think each team would have won if their rules were used.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Depends on what rules are used. The game was a lot different back then.

I think each team would have won if their rules were used.

I've thought about this and agree 100% on this. Let's keep it at 4-on-4 with Jordan/Pippen/Rodman(or Grant, your preference) and Harper vs Curry/Klay/Durant/Green. That would be an amazing matchup.

Take one player off each team from what you listed and they could play for the 2020 gold medal in the Olympics. :D:D:D

Comparing what LeBron and Durant did is not comparing apples to apples. LeBron didn't go and join the Celtics, he went and joined the Heat to form a team that could beat that Celtics squad.

Durant left the Thunder, who were at worst the fourth best team in the NBA with him there and who were one win away from reaching the finals, for the Warriors. He not also made the Warriors better, but he crippled their biggest challenger in the West in the process.

I'm not a fan of what either did, but I think what Durant did was worse. If he went anywhere other than the Warriors or Cavs I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Reactions: Shuathelete
Comparing what LeBron and Durant did is not comparing apples to apples. LeBron didn't go and join the Celtics, he went and joined the Heat to form a team that could beat that Celtics squad.

Durant left the Thunder, who were at worst the fourth best team in the NBA with him there and who were one win away from reaching the finals, for the Warriors. He not also made the Warriors better, but he crippled their biggest challenger in the West in the process.

I'm not a fan of what either did, but I think what Durant did was worse. If he went anywhere other than the Warriors or Cavs I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

What also goes undertold is that Green and Klay were essentially recruiting Durant for about a year. From the training camps for the Olympics. I believe the story continues that Green called KD the day after Golden State loss asking if he's ready to come join them

AMEN!!!

Durant is a spineless coward with no confidence. He clearly at one point was a competitor, then looked at himself in the mirror and realized he is a coward and will never beat anyone, so he chose to join them. Its so much worse and that tweet makes me LOL! Durant is the last guy i want in my foxhole. He'll turn his gun on me.

Wow we are throwing the word coward around pretty easily. All Kevin Durant did was play within the rules. He took less money to join a team that gave him a chance to win. I really don't see what the issue is.

Lebron's teams have done everything he's asked for him acquiring and signing everyone he gave a godfather's blessing to. Either way, he wants a ring. That's the main goal. Anyway you can get it. And for the record, Lebron definitely did it first with all the extra attention he spent to make mention how he was going to Miami and Cleveland. KD just simply said I'm out. The only thing I question is why he allegedly didn't contact Westbrook when he left.

You wanna talk about coward and being corny, how bout Garnett, Pierce and Rondo and their wine session over how Ray Allen "disrespected" them.

Your acting like wanting to play for the best team is some crazy unheard concept.

Then you say hes laughing to the bank but put money over winning.

Im not saying it was a stupid move. just a gutless one.

No, he IS playing for the best team.. Hence why he went.
And yes making less than he would have, BUT that's still a truck full to bring to the bank!

Contracts for players that are elite are no longer the only consideration when signing with a team. Clearly for the best of the best winning a ring s just as important since the money they make away from the game can equal and maybe surpass what they make on the court.

It's that financial flexibility that enables players to construct super teams. Can't blame them but the NBA can do something about it by challenging the union and implementing a hard cap or financial penalties for going over the cap similar to what MLB does.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-after-lebron-and-kd-changed-free-agency-game

So Durant was asked essentially about the super teams and free agency and the quotes of note for those interested parties among the longer read. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but here:

But Durant has encountered a fraction of the static that James did since making his own controversial move last July. In part, it's because James is simply a more polarizing figure. But it's also because James blazed the trail and made it safer for Durant and other stars to choose their own paths.

"Once LeBron made that decision, it took a lot of the brunt," says Billy King, the former general manager of the Nets and 76ers. "You sort of almost expect guys now to maybe leave and do what's best for them."

"As time goes on, and the changes start to become normal, people will start looking at it as normal," Durant says. "I hope and pray that they make a decision that's best for them, and nobody else."

"That's what free agency is about—doing what you want to do," Durant tells B/R Mag. "I commend LeBron. I commend LaMarcus Aldridge. I commend guys that stay, because they did what they wanted to do. That's the power of free agency."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT