ADVERTISEMENT

Super teams

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Are the Cavs and Warriors good for pro BB?

This season they have made a mockery of the NBA playoffs and before the season began short of injury no other teams had a chance to win it all.

I don't know. I do know the Lakers and Celts of the 80's were great for the NBA. Of course, the idea of joining super teams thru free agency didn't exist back then. The lakers and cells instead depended on the ignorant gams of other teams...

One of my sons is a huge NBA fan. Not certain I watched any game not involving Isaiah the Great.

How us overall attendance?

This season they have made a mockery of the NBA playoffs and before the season began short of injury no other teams had a chance to win it all.

Sure seems like it to me, although I'm coming from the perspective that the NBA is a total mockery to begin with. That league was so much better in the 90s and early 00s. Since then it has gone downhill rapidly. Not even worth following these days.

If Kawhi Leonard didn't go down with another ankle injury, that GS-SA series could have been interesting. Spurs were crushing them in Game 1 up until that point. Not saying Spurs would have won the Series but would have been great to watch.

I can't root for Durant to get his Title this way, same way I routed like heck against LBJ in Miami.

Sure seems like it to me, although I'm coming from the perspective that the NBA is a total mockery to begin with. That league was so much better in the 90s and early 00s. Since then it has gone downhill rapidly. Not even worth following these days.
Don't get how today's nba stinks if you loved back when the bulls won easily every season. The nba somehow endured that awful stretch when the cells won 9 out of 10. And, the nba endured it way more positively than me...

Reactions: Pirate6711
League was better because less team you had true 8 to 10 deep player rotations

I don't like the thought of free agency allowing a few teams to be dominant with everyone else just playing out the string from the opening tip of the regular season.

Players now unlike in the past want to create super teams and that destroys competitive balance which was already an issue.

This is why I am so strongly against college players not having to sit out if they transfer (5th year grads notwithstanding) . Again that would simply make the strong even stronger in effect ruining college BB.

Kevin Durant is the real deal, 7ft with an unbelievable skill set.

I don't know. I do know the Lakers and Celts of the 80's were great for the NBA. Of course, the idea of joining super teams thru free agency didn't exist back then. The lakers and cells instead depended on the ignorant gams of other teams...

One of my sons is a huge NBA fan. Not certain I watched any game not involving Isaiah the Great.

How us overall attendance?

They were great for the NBA but the NBA also had other very good teams that challenged the Celts and LA every year, namely the 76'ers in the beginning of the decade and the Detroit Pistons at the end. Also, Houston Rockets challenged the Lakers in the West as well as Karl Malone and Stockton later on in the decade. Right now, with Durant on the Warriors, there is not one team close to GS.

And the East is just so mediocre that no one can compete with the Cavs.

Watching last night's game, the Cav's strength was clearly attacking the basket with LeBron and Love having really good games. But the bench for the Cav's heaving up outside shots led to too many easy scores for GS. I can see the Cavs maybe winning one game but that is it.

Reactions: garyshu71
If Kawhi Leonard didn't go down with another ankle injury, that GS-SA series could have been interesting. Spurs were crushing them in Game 1 up until that point. Not saying Spurs would have won the Series but would have been great to watch.

I can't root for Durant to get his Title this way, same way I routed like heck against LBJ in Miami.
This is MUCH worse. I cannot believe people think what the warriors are doing is good. They are literally an all star team. They took the winningest team in NBA history then added the SECOND best player in the league. If they dont win the finals it would be the biggest disappointment in NBA history. i mean come on.

What makes this worse than lebron is that Durant JOINED the team that he blew a 3-1 lead against in the West finals. If you cant beat em join em. Terrible. where is the heart. Im not a huge westbrook fan, but i root for him because he not only has loyalty, but also a competitors mentality. Durant literally is taking the easiest road any player has ever taken in history.

Rating are very good because of the super team vs super team nature of this final playoff series. But that's going to wear off quickly although for hunger starved NBA fans outside the area these two team are a must watch now.

Going forward it will get stale. Especially since this is the third such match-up in a row. The big difference obviously being Durant,

I don't know as the only NBA I watched is to see IW, but what I don't understand is how a team like the Warriors, coming off a record setting season for wins, can go out and sign one of the absolute best players in the game, KD, and teams like the Knicks and Nets (ineptitude aside) cant even afford their cable bill (Dolan shot intentional)? that tells me the system is set to cater to dynasties....the NBA, unlike the NFL and Baseball, is an "individual" game....they like their superstars, and their long runs of carnage and domination....they could care less about parity and having other franchises have a chance to win.

Just another reason I dont watch.....what a waste of an 80+ game season......should have played this series months ago, and saved a lot of time.....lol

the rules in place are slanted heavily to prevent super teams. Shame on OKC for not retaining their star. Durant left a lot of money on the table.

the rules in place are slanted heavily to prevent super teams. Shame on OKC for not retaining their star. Durant left a lot of money on the table.
This all began with Lebron creating his "super team" in Miami. He Then noticed Cleveland was the better situation and jumped ship with Kyrie and made the Cavs trade for Love to create another "super team." Durant just followed suit. Its a bad situation but Lebron created this mess. GSW are in line to win maybe the next 3 years.

You cant make any rules to prevent cowards, and durant is a huge coward with absolutely no heart or competitive drive.

This all began with Lebron creating his "super team" in Miami. He Then noticed Cleveland was the better situation and jumped ship with Kyrie and made the Cavs trade for Love to create another "super team." Durant just followed suit. Its a bad situation but Lebron created this mess. GSW are in line to win maybe the next 3 years.
im assuming you only discovered the NBA 5 years ago

Oklahoma City traded Harden prematurely, traded Ibaka maybe prematurely as well and then let Durant go in free agency (which may or may not be linked to how Kevin views Westbrook as a teammate).

I'm rooting for the Warriors this postseason for several reasons. Chief among them:
1) Knicks are out. Different conversation for a different time.
2) Homegrown team. Ignoring the (so far) MVP of the series, Golden State is a super team built with homegrown stars.Curry and Klay were thought to be complimentary starters and Green was a 2nd round pick who people didn't know his worth as an undersized big man.
3) Part of me thinks Durant knew how everyone would treat him and unless it's revisionist history on my part, we barely heard from him this season compared a certain megastar who's talked of needing rest, needing a "g___amn playmaker," needing.
4) I never liked JR Smith. Too immature even at this stage in his career. :)

Another point to the current level of the NBA, how many times have people talked about professional basketball as a business and how certain players are looked at slightly lesser than their counterparts because they don't have a ring. If Lebron never won a ring at this point, is he still in the conversation of greatest of all-time? How much higher are guys like Malone, Ewing, Barkley rated if they brought their teams a ring? Kids today, millenials if you will, want to make money with their friends and be the best at something they love. That's the culture we're in. And then you have reports of teams like the Celtics building to when the Cavs dominance is on the decline and Durant willing to stay for less money, what is the fix?

To conclude, how many people on here would trade their job for a better one? Because that's what the man did. And did it with no real theatrics.

Rambling post over.

Oklahoma City traded Harden prematurely, traded Ibaka maybe prematurely as well and then let Durant go in free agency (which may or may not be linked to how Kevin views Westbrook as a teammate).

I'm rooting for the Warriors this postseason for several reasons. Chief among them:
1) Knicks are out. Different conversation for a different time.
2) Homegrown team. Ignoring the (so far) MVP of the series, Golden State is a super team built with homegrown stars.Curry and Klay were thought to be complimentary starters and Green was a 2nd round pick who people didn't know his worth as an undersized big man.
3) Part of me thinks Durant knew how everyone would treat him and unless it's revisionist history on my part, we barely heard from him this season compared a certain megastar who's talked of needing rest, needing a "g___amn playmaker," needing.
4) I never liked JR Smith. Too immature even at this stage in his career. :)

Another point to the current level of the NBA, how many times have people talked about professional basketball as a business and how certain players are looked at slightly lesser than their counterparts because they don't have a ring. If Lebron never won a ring at this point, is he still in the conversation of greatest of all-time? How much higher are guys like Malone, Ewing, Barkley rated if they brought their teams a ring? Kids today, millenials if you will, want to make money with their friends and be the best at something they love. That's the culture we're in. And then you have reports of teams like the Celtics building to when the Cavs dominance is on the decline and Durant willing to stay for less money, what is the fix?

To conclude, how many people on here would trade their job for a better one? Because that's what the man did. And did it with no real theatrics.

Rambling post over.
This is somewhat true. KD is probably going to go on and win 3 championships. Once he has those rings then whose to talk right? Doesnt change the fact hes an absolute coward and mental midget, but hell have his legacy. GS has done it the right way no doubt. They are not at fault by any means. i have no problem with GS. hell i wish i was a GS fan. But im rooting or lebron to win this one because hes the lesser of two snakes.

As an avid NBA fan, I'd love to lend my perspective on this. I think, in general, people tend to be prisoners of the moment, for good or for bad. They tend to want to complain about the way things are, if only for the sake of complaining. But yes, during the 80s, you had two opposing teams run through the decade against one another. In the 90s, you had Jordan over everyone. The league goes in cycles between dynasties, and years in between those dynasties where you see great and deserving teams and players rise up to seize their moment.

I've never been a LeBron fan, and I wasn't thrilled about the Decision, but he started this age of player movement we now live in. In the end who can blame a player, even a GREAT one, for going somewhere they want to go if they think they'll have a better chance of winning there? If the system supports it happening, then the player is within his rights to do it. You may not like it, but there are worse things than watching several players who will go down as all time greats, going against each other for the title several years in a row. Again, it's not the first time it has happened. If you're an NBA fan, you respect and enjoy it for what it is.

As a lifelong Knicks fan, I can say with confidence that EVERY team has the opportunity to build a great team from the ground up. I know that because I see other teams do it, while watching the Knicks fail over and over again. The Warriors drafted most of their best players over the last 6 or so years, including Draymond Green in the second round. Once your team gets really good, from the front office to the coaching staff to the product on the court, it seems only natural for other good players to want to be a part of that. That's how great teams are formed, that's what we're watching now, and I believe every team has that same chance.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
You cant make any rules to prevent cowards, and durant is a huge coward with absolutely no heart or competitive drive.
You cant call Durant a coward with doing the same with Lebron. Not to the same extent, but he started all this as I previously stated. Also, you didnt try to address my comment and tryied to insult me to make a point. You can make comments about players but if you cant back it up, no ome can respect your opinions.

People also forget that free agency today is nothing compared to free agency in the 80s. Players seemingly only left a team via trade. Oddly enough, today's free agency is aimed at making it financially more rewarding to stay with a current team. There's talk of Kyle Lowry leaving the Raptors for the Sixers in free agency. Nevermind the management in Philly, people are dismissing his leaving due to the fact that Toronto can offer $50 million MORE for him to stay in Canada. Now you have a player in KD, top 5 in the league at the worst, who's willing to take less to continue what's here in Golden State.

Bottom line, if KD and the Warriors win, he made the right decision. Plain and simple.

You cant call Durant a coward with doing the same with Lebron. Not to the same extent, but he started all this as I previously stated. Also, you didnt try to address my comment and tryied to insult me to make a point. You can make comments about players but if you cant back it up, no ome can respect your opinions.
NBA has always been full of superteams is what im saying. You can just say the celtics caused lebron to follow suit etc.

lebron didnt join the team that he blew a 3-1 lead to. thats coward. im fine with durant leaving, that stuff happens but not to the team that cut your throat.

I think I had the same reaction when he initially signed with them. That said, maybe he felt that he wasn't going to win with Westbrook, for whatever reason. And let's be honest, of all the teams that were courting him, who was a better option than Golden State?

The Warriors did draft Curry, Thompson, and Green. They are probably 3 of the top 15 players in the NBA currently. Durant obviously makes them a super team but GS front office made 3 home run draft picks.

Don't get how today's nba stinks if you loved back when the bulls won easily every season. The nba somehow endured that awful stretch when the cells won 9 out of 10. And, the nba endured it way more positively than me...
Seton, to this day I am still a HUGE Chicago Bulls fan, went thru the growing pains of the 80's I was very young than but still remember Thomas and Dumars beating us down, then we had our 90s run, then stunk for a while, then good now so so... My point is the Bulls in the 90's were for the most part built from the ground up, the only player of note who joined them was Rodman in the 2nd run but they built that team, took their lumps, and finally began to win. NO Durant or James showed up via free agency to beat Detroit finally, so for that I respect them way more for it...

Klay & Draymond are not top 15 players, IMO. It's so easy to play with 2 stars.

Klay has 3 all star games, and is the best SG in the league (counting harden as PG). Draymond has 2 all stars and 2x all defense first team (will have 3) and led the league in steals this year while playing d on c's.

I think you could absolutely argue them being top 15.

GS is accomplishing what i hope the sixers accomplish.

I highly doubt he did. I believe the move was a pure business move. Underarmour was cashing in big time with Warriors gear with Curry. Durant going to Golden State made Nike a lot of money. I'm sure Durant is making money off the move.

and he'll never be in the same conversation with guys like Kobe and Lebron. I think people think lebron's team last year was better than it was, considering past championship teams.

Not many are. I'm sure a few championship rings will suffice

Nothing new here. Chamberlain left Philly to play with West and Baylor. Alcindor left the Bucks. He played with hall of famers all over the floor the entire time he was in LA. Shaq moved to LA in the same manner. Moses joined Erving, Cheeks and Jones. C'mon people , this is life in the big city. Been going on for years.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Nothing new here. Chamberlain left Philly to play with West and Baylor. Alcindor left the Bucks. He played with hall of famers all over the floor the entire time he was in LA. Shaq moved to LA in the same manner. Moses joined Erving, Cheeks and Jones. C'mon people , this is life in the big city. Been going on for years.
All the above except for Shaq were involved in trades. Very bad ones but trades nevertheless.

With James and Durant they moved to different teams in free agency. James twice no less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT