ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving Day Game Thread: Pirates vs. USC

and now tomorrow we will be too tired from this comeback , well another Thanksgiving consolation game, stop playing these already

giphy.gif

This felt like a carbon copy of a lot of games last season. Start off lethargic against superior opponent, scrap our way back with defense leading the way, then ultimately lose because we don’t have enough firepower to get over the hump.

Whistle a bit less than ideal...usc made timely long 3s during this game..
Shu another weak shooting team this year
So true about the shooting. And I dude who only made or took 4 3 s all year makes a huge 3 in this game.

This is a team with multiple faults and its Time to accept that and give more minutes to the underclass men they can’t be any worse then the seniors we’re giving playing time to.
I agree with you. As another poster said it was a carbon copy game of what we saw many times last year. I don't believe I see an NCAA qualifying team at this point. As is it will be too inconsistent. I believe either Dawes or Wusu should come off the bench. We talked about this all-last Summer. This was an important game and once again it was not max focus. The defense was pretty good I thought but once again gave up double digit threes. I doubt there will be any deviation of the lineup barring an injury. Also, 3-16 from three is way below a respectable effort. The officiating was puzzling at times tonight.

Reactions: catholicman
This is a team with multiple faults and its Time to accept that and give more minutes to the underclass men as they can’t be any worse then the seniors we’re giving playing time to.
What underclassmen?? Coleman already plays, the cupboard is bare. We are in DEEP trouble

SHU playing essentially 6 guys now...nga and turkey just got in to give big man a chance to get wind back. Ehe tubek will help a bit...bit really lack of quality guard/wing depth both sides of ball is gonna hurt...first half lots of bad settling for jump shots

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I agree with you. As another poster said it was a carbon copy game of what we saw many times last year. I don't believe I see an NCAA qualifying team at this point. As is it will be too inconsistent. I believe either Dawes or Wusu should come off the bench. We talked about this all-last Summer. This was an important game and once again it was not max focus. The defense was pretty good I thought but once again gave up double digit threes. I doubt there will be any deviation of the lineup barring an injury. Also, 3-16 from three is way below a respectable effort. The officiating was puzzling at times tonight.
Still way too early to write off this team. As the announcers said plenty of times, USC could be a top 15 team when it’s all said and done.

If we can hang with a team that talented even with Dawes having arguably his worst game as a pirate, we’ll have other opportunities for big wins. On the bright side bediako has exceeded all expectations so far. If EVE + Tubek can give us some production, we might actually have a decent front court.

Tomorrow is big. Need to get out of SD with at least one W.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Still way too early to write off this team. As the announcers said plenty of times, USC could be a top 15 team when it’s all said and done.

If we can hang with a team that talented even with Dawes having arguably his worst game as a pirate, we’ll have other opportunities for big wins. On the bright side bediako has exceeded all expectations so far. If EVE + Tubek can give us some production, we might actually have a decent front court.

Tomorrow is big. Need to get out of SD with at least one W.
Totally agree. People writing off the season after 5 games is really a bit much. Shaheen did not lose it on the post game show, which I think says as he does not hold back on assessing his team. Outside of Dawes, there is still hope.

they didn’t have Ellis and Johnson, who went for 35 tonight.(in their loss to UC Irvine)

Because of family dinner and the like I only caught some of this game. Missed opportunity IMO. USC’s guards are talented no doubt, but they looked like the team that lost to Irvine and struggled some with Brown than a good high major. They will get better IMO because of the talent and this would have been a nice W to have on the resume.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving all.

When Davis scored, both guys calling the game said how is that not and 1. They both said you can hear the slap on the arm, They showed the replay.
And then they call ticky tacks the other way. They played poorly in the first half but we honestly could have won this game if not for a number of dreadful calls against us.

Last edited:
We could have won this game if we had played reasonably well. We didn't and we weren't good enough to beat what will be a really solid team when they gel. Their guards are good, they defend well as a group and we made their big man look like Dikembe Mutoumbo at the rim.

We got sped up at times and as a result were sloppy plus we struggled shooting the ball. If Richmond doesn't play well (and he didn't for the most part), Dawes and Addae-Wusu have to step up. Unfortunately, Richmond, even not playing well, was still the best of the trio. That's a bad recipe.

And, I need to see Jaquan Sanders on the floor for more than two minutes even if he doesn't do a damn thing.

Need to be ready to go in 18 hours and try to get a split. There's still a chance for this to be a productive trip.

I'd agree we didn't get a friendly whistle but we didn't lose this game because of foul disparity.

We committed five in the last 70 seconds -- four in the last 49. Take the last four away and the difference is 17 to 13. Take those eight made free throws away and they made 13 to our 10.

We lost because we shot poorly. We took 26 more shots than USC and made five more. It's tough to beat a good team shooting 35% and 3-16 on threes.

I stand by it. If we start out playing so terribly, then we give ourselves zero chance to come back against a team of any quality. This was a team we could have beaten, but digging a hole that big made it a worthless endeavor.
You stand by your comment that the team quit when it almost came back from a 20 point deficit?

I thought this was a very good game and nothing to be ashamed of considering we were very cold shooting the ball, the refs did not do us any favors and yet we were in the game at the end. We were beaten by a team that has vastly superior recruiting and talent and yet if a few more shots went in we might have won it! I take encouragement from this loss and believe this team might be better than a lot of you negative posters think. It was a very good learning experience for the guys.

If we cannot hit the three, we have to sprinkle in mid range jumpers. Taking everything to the tin, particularly yesterday, was not a recipe for success unless the refs were giving a good whistle. We got a horrible whistle.

I'd agree we didn't get a friendly whistle but we didn't lose this game because of foul disparity.

We committed five in the last 70 seconds -- four in the last 49. Take the last four away and the difference is 17 to 13. Take those eight made free throws away and they made 13 to our 10.

We lost because we shot poorly. We took 26 more shots than USC and made five more. It's tough to beat a good team shooting 35% and 3-16 on threes.
Couldn’t agree more.

I thought this was a very good game and nothing to be ashamed of considering we were very cold shooting the ball, the refs did not do us any favors and yet we were in the game at the end. We were beaten by a team that has vastly superior recruiting and talent and yet if a few more shots went in we might have won it! I take encouragement from this loss and believe this team might be better than a lot of you negative posters think. It was a very good learning experience for the guys.
I still don’t think we’re that good, but we’re not as bad as we started off last night. Middle of the pack Big East squad giving a ranked team a game in their home state 3,000 miles away from ours (location isn’t a Willardesque excuse, just facts).

Creighton (5-1) shot just 28% (17 of 61) from the field, including 6 of 29 (21%) from 3-point range, and went 8 for 13 (63%) at the free-throw line.

So Creighton was ranked 8th and they played an unranked team and were handily beaten (throttled) by 21 points. So are they really bad too? No it was an off night shooting just like we had only it was much worse!

Time to move on Pirates and just learn from the loss!

If we cannot hit the three, we have to sprinkle in mid range jumpers. Taking everything to the tin, particularly yesterday, was not a recipe for success unless the refs were giving a good whistle. We got a horrible whistle.
But overall the shooting in negative expected value

I believe Creighton to be a good shooting team with a solid offensive system that may have had an off night. Just going by recent history although I have not seen them this year as of yet. SHU doesn’t seem like a good shooting team. The offense is based on attacking the rim. That’s how Sha mainly recruits.. So offense can be challenging at times.. Basically, success will come down to Dawes and Wusu shooting on a particular night, to add the additional element against the better teams. Not sure where the midrange game develops from the current roster. Maybe Sanders can fill that role?

I believe Creighton to be a good shooting team with a solid offensive system that may have had an off night. Just going by recent history although I have not seen them this year as of yet. SHU doesn’t seem like a good shooting team. The offense is based on attacking the rim. That’s how Sha mainly recruits.. So offense can be challenging at times.. Basically, success will come down to Dawes and Wusu shooting on a particular night, to add the additional element against the better teams. Not sure where the midrange game develops from the current roster. Maybe Sanders can fill that role?
Trey Alexander went 1-16 in Thursday's game. Baylor Scheierman was 4-17. Two guys shooting 43% and 48% from the floor respectively. As we saw with our guards last night, it's tough to win when two main guys shoot a combined 5-33.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT