ADVERTISEMENT

The best thing that happened to Hurley last April...

Was Spencer this good with Rutgers?
He was definitely good. I feel like he's a better overall player now. I mean with Rutgers he only had to play against Big Ten players, not Big East talent.

2022-23 Season (At Rutgers):
  • Named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week on Jan. 17
  • Tied for team lead at 13.2 points per game.
  • Shot 43.4 percent from the field, 89.5 percent from the free throw line and 44.4 percent from the field.
  • Had 105 assists and 69 steals.
  • Shot 43.4% from three-point distance, tied for 5th in a single-season in RU history
  • Shot 89.4% from the free throw line, 5th best in a single-season in RU history
  • Had 69 steals, 6th most ever in a season by a RU player
  • Scored in double-figures in 24 games.with five games of 20+ points.
  • Scored 17, 18, 15, 17, 19 and 18 points in first six games with the team as starter, averaging 17.3 points per game in that span.
  • Had six steals in the season opener
  • Made game-winning three-pointer with 14 seconds remaining in victory at No. 1 Purdue
  • Again hit game-winning three-pointer in final minute, along with season-high 23 points on career-best six made threes in win at Northwestern.
  • Posted team-high 21 points in win over Ohio State
  • Had 22 points at Wisconsin, 21 at Minnesota, and 22 in the NIT against Hofstra.

I don't follow Rutgers as close as many here do, so defer to their opinions. I knew generally he was pretty good. I think what you are seeing with him is a kid who fit like a glove into an already formidable starting lineup and is operating in a system that those 5 starters plus a few of the key subs have been operating like a well-oiled machine.

Sometimes with transfers the fit is more important than the overall player/talent.

Look at the much maligned Joe Girard, who got knocked here repeatedly for years because he played for Cuse/Jimmy B and the whole Kadary situation. Who would have thought Girard would be the PG helping lead an Elite 8 team he averaged 15 a game for this past year shooting 40+ percent from 3.

Very questionable whether UCONN advances last night without Spencer. Clingan muscled and thrown significantly off kilter by a much stronger big.

Rutgers under Pike has no offensive scheme. Just dribble, dribble, dribble at the top of the key and try to make something happen. Next year will be interesting with Bailey and Harper coming to see how to run the offense with 2 studs each looking to get theirs. Could be a good year for Rutgers but if they have another disappointing year, its hard to believe that Pikell's survives beyond next year.

Rutgers under Pike has no offensive scheme. Just dribble, dribble, dribble at the top of the key and try to make something happen. Next year will be interesting with Bailey and Harper coming to see how to run the offense with 2 studs each looking to get theirs. Could be a good year for Rutgers but if they have another disappointing year, its hard to believe that Pikell's survives beyond next year.
Wow now that is a statement...not sure hobbs has the courage

Hobbs is too busy dodging the notorious Ru trap door.

The buyout after 2024-25 would be $11 million.

It goes down two million per year until 2029-30 when it's $1 million.

The buyout after 2024-25 would be $11 million.

It goes down two million per year until 2029-30 when it's $1 million.
I don’t see why they would want to replace him. He’s the best coach they’ve had in forever.

I don’t see why they would want to replace him. He’s the best coach they’ve had in forever.
Even if that's the case he certainly doesn't have the job for life.

He's 132-122 overall and 63-92 in the Big 10. Granted his first three years dug a big hole for his won-loss record but we're still talking about a guy who has gone to two NCAAs in eight years (he likely would have gone in the COVID year as well).

He's now three years removed from his lone NCAA win and has missed the field the last two years.

There will be expectations next year with the two stud recruits. I don't know if RU will want to eat $11 million if they have a tough year but another 15-17 season might have them thinking about it.

Reactions: dehere23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT