ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal

I think it’s basically just clicking a button on the portal website.

Remember that the portal isn’t a random term… It is an actual portal on a website.

RU folks think that is a good possibility.
Personally I think RU will be fine. They have those Uber talented freshman coming and they will get kids via the portal too.

It used to be roster turnover was a sign of a bigger problem in many cases. But now it is the norm. And unless you have first hand knowledge of the situation who knows what drives it. Sometimes a kid getting recruited over. Sometimes a kid leaving because he’s unhappy or wants to go to a better fit. Sometimes it’s because a program won’t meet a kids asking price.

Yes but between the ulcers you got and the pressure put on you by the alum and admin you would quit after your first year if not fired first for the results you got!
Yup. And then I would cash the buy out check lol

aside from coleman who would we be upset with entering
Can't imagine there would be any interest in anyone available other then EHE. And, depending on whom the staff brings in, our bench players look to get a shot at considerable playing time next year. Coleman completely disappeared the last third of the season, and looked lost again last night. On another note, article in CT Post this morning highlighting UCONN's entire squad going into the tournament mentioned that the last walk-on on the team (kid is even behind young Hurley) got $15000 in NIL money.

Can't imagine there would be any interest in anyone available other then EHE. And, depending on whom the staff brings in, our bench players look to get a shot at considerable playing time next year. Coleman completely disappeared the last third of the season, and looked lost again last night. On another note, article in CT Post this morning highlighting UCONN's entire squad going into the tournament mentioned that the last walk-on on the team (kid is even behind young Hurley) got $15000 in NIL money.
How is it that UConn can give out such info but we keep our NIL situation as secretive as possible? Dan is even able to get Rutgers information but he can’t get our own.

Here’s an idea— you want donations? Offer transparency.

How is it that UConn can give out such info but we keep our NIL situation as secretive as possible? Dan is even able to get Rutgers information but he can’t get our own.

Here’s an idea— you want donations? Offer transparency.
Did uconn give that info out of did some writer printer what he thinks to be so?

Knowing that we played shorthanded al lyear cause that is al Sha could afford isn't enough data for you?

Did uconn give that info out of did some writer printer what he thinks to be so?

Knowing that we played shorthanded al lyear cause that is al Sha could afford isn't enough data for you?
What? Asking for what our money is paying each player is a big ask? Ha.

there is no more "sit out" year....eligible immediately...if its your 1st....2nd...or 3rd transfer.

there are no rules...
Incorrect.

NCAA rules allow underclassmen to transfer once without having to sit out a year. But an additional transfer as an undergraduate generally requires the NCAA to grant a waiver allowing the athlete to compete immediately. Without it, the athlete would have to sit out for a year at the new school.Dec 13, 2023

No. To date that is no longer accurate.
Did that change over last 3 months?
This was as od December.

NCAA rules allow underclassmen to transfer once without having to sit out a year. But an additional transfer as an undergraduate generally requires the NCAA to grant a waiver allowing the athlete to compete immediately. Without it, the athlete would have to sit out for a year at the new school.Dec 13, 2023

This is probably irrelevant at this point of college athletics, in this new wild wild west of unlimited transfers year-in and year-out, but would it kill them to at least wait until after the second weekend of the tournament to open up the portal? Like, does this HAVE to happen right after Selection Sunday?

Reactions: shupat08
In regards to the transfer rule--How about our old pal Primo Spears from Georgetown. Well let us not forget, he started his college career at Duquesne for a year, then a trip to Gtown for a year, and most recently a year at Florida State. And now, drum roll please, he's back in the portal again!! (sounds like an old Gene Autry song) He must have a lot of sick relatives or the transfer rules DO NOT EXIST-----

Again. Ask your questions on the Trove when we interview Mike McBride next month when the season ends.
Dan, with all due respect, I don’t believe we should have to subscribe to a board to see where our donations end up. I think it is extremely important to have some transparency, with at least the donors directly, as to where their money is going so they can make informed decisions on future donations.

I truly believe that once we see who is getting what we will probably all be shocked how low it is and increase donations to keep players and attract others.

Dan, with all due respect, I don’t believe we should have to subscribe to a board to see where our donations end up. I think it is extremely important to have some transparency, with at least the donors directly, as to where their money is going so they can make informed decisions on future donations.

I truly believe that once we see who is getting what we will probably all be shocked how low it is and increase donations to keep players and attract others.
But again, what difference is it when you can’t compare SHU numbers to the numbers at any other school?

Incorrect.

this is no longer the case....

Did that change over last 3 months?
This was as od December.

Yes it did. There was an injunction in mid December. NCAA changed its position on 2nd time transfers. All transfers are now immediately eligible. Pitino has discussed this change in multiple interviews. Said built his roster around 2nd time transfers to build stability and it has now changed.

Last edited:

The Trove subsidizes this site. Without it there would be no Rivals message board. At least not as you see it now.

I have to honor those that subscribe. I pay my writers far more than the going rate for Trove stories. Where do you think that money comes from?

That said, during the offseason I bring bits and pieces of our stories here. I'll do the same with McBride.

What an insane era. It’s surreal to watch college basketball teams totally flip over every season.
its completely ruined. from top to bottom. now with NIL and insta transfer you see the top teams blowing out everyone in the tournament. march madness was march sadness this year. look at the results. when was the last time there was this much chalk and this many blowouts?

It’s wild to me that we can’t find a whale or two. That’s the only thing that can get us out from under this mess. I know McBride has been working like hell but why does everything have to be so difficult for us? To hear that Villanova spent $3MM on their roster (yes, their coach underachieved) and we can’t even scrape and claw our way to $1MM is insane to me. Something is very wrong here. I don’t even want to hear that we slept on NIL anymore. We should be able to recover that money in an instant.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
its completely ruined. from top to bottom. now with NIL and insta transfer you see the top teams blowing out everyone in the tournament. march madness was march sadness this year. look at the results. when was the last time there was this much chalk and this many blowouts?
And I’m sure ratings will be at an all time high which will only support the free transfer cause. They’ll be able to say that Cinderella isn’t the only thing that draws viewership. I hope I’m wrong but until their pockets get hit, I don’t see these new rules changing anytime soon, if at all.

Reactions: SHUSA
It’s wild to me that we can’t find a whale or two. That’s the only thing that can get us out from under this mess. I know McBride has been working like hell but why does everything have to be so difficult for us? To hear that Villanova spent $3MM on their roster (yes, their coach underachieved) and we can’t even scrape and claw our way to $1MM is insane to me. Something is very wrong here. I don’t even want to hear that we slept on NIL anymore. We should be able to recover that money in an instant.
It is cultural.
Nova, Providence, Georgetown have a culture of very high alumni donations.
Seton Hall pales in comparison across the board. We are Diosescan owned and that could have a huge impact imo.

But again, what difference is it when you can’t compare SHU numbers to the numbers at any other school?
We are only going on speculation.
The Trove subsidizes this site. Without it there would be no Rivals message board. At least not as you see it now.

I have to honor those that subscribe. I pay my writers far more than the going rate for Trove stories. Where do you think that money comes from?

That said, during the offseason I bring bits and pieces of our stories here. I'll do the same with McBride.
Didnt know how it works. Get it.

It is cultural.
Nova, Providence, Georgetown have a culture of very high alumni donations.
Seton Hall pales in comparison across the board. We are Diosescan owned and that could have a huge impact imo.
100% understood. But I’m not even talking about culture. That will take years to repair, if it’s even possible. I’m talking about the select few people who can dig us out of the hole we put ourselves in with one single payment. That single payment could change the course of the present and future of this program. As it currently stands, we are not even close to being competitive in the NIL market.

100% understood. But I’m not even talking about culture. That will take years to repair, if it’s even possible. I’m talking about the select few people who can dig us out of the hole we put ourselves in with one single payment. That single payment could change the course of the present and future of this program. As it currently stands, we are not even close to being competitive in the NIL market.
Dan just posted that we are already close to being at the number folks "assume" is needed. And that's "assume", because no one really knows what these other schools are doing.

Dan just posted that we are already close to being at the number folks "assume" is needed. And that's "assume", because no one really knows what these other schools are doing.
If I’m not mistaken, he said that we are above what is being reported but still well short of what is needed. It’s been said that we need $1.5MM annually to be competitive.

Timing is everything. I’m assuming the money is needed right now with the transfer portal open. Now is not a good time to be short as time is of the essence. Where are the remaining funds going to come from?

Just based on my interpretation, we are at least $500K short. If I’m wrong, great. If I’m right, where is the money going to come from?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT