ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal

If we look back at last year, I think every kid we ended up getting (Bediako, EHE, Coleman, Tubek, Nganga, Ozdagon and even Brown) dis not list us early or at all. They pretty much all came out of nowhere. Sha with the misdirection strategy??? Wusu did get a little early press because of the whole Posh situation though.

Reactions: Piratz
We have a lot of needs assuming the core of our starters are gone after this year.

Managing this is pretty difficult I would think for a coach and his assistants because as a coach do you jump right away and make offers or do you wait till you know everyone that wants to be in the portal has put their name in? So do you as a coach make offers to the players that best fit what you want and can afford with NIL money?

This would drive me nuts and must be so frustrating to deal with. I don't think you could pay Sha enough money to have to play this game of recruiting in this awful environment the NCAA created.

I guess it is the same play with HS kids.

Leave it to the ncaa buffoons to implement a system no one likes . Eventually the players will also see this as it will hurt their development jumping around team to team. This is my hope

Reactions: TomWall
It’s such a balancing act. With limited funds you can’t overspend on a player that on paper looks good but then when they get to the level of the Big East they have difficult years and we have seen multiple examples of that. Maybe get 1 decent player from p5 but the rest will likely be cheaper under recruited mid majors that are hungry and want to prove themselves. Now if they succeed the following year you give them a little more money and hopefully they stay. Honestly the price of players should really go down with so many players entering the transfer portal. There are only so many spots to go where you are going to get decent mins.

It’s such a balancing act. With limited funds you can’t overspend on a player that on paper looks good but then when they get to the level of the Big East they have difficult years and we have seen multiple examples of that. Maybe get 1 decent player from p5 but the rest will likely be cheaper under recruited mid majors that are hungry and want to prove themselves. Now if they succeed the following year you give them a little more money and hopefully they stay. Honestly the price of players should really go down with so many players entering the transfer portal. There are only so many spots to go where you are going to get decent mins.
Am I mistaken in thinking that players can transfer only once as undergraduates [at least for now]?
For example, NgaNga is here to stay.

A logical remedy would be no NIL $ to transfers but I doubt that would stand up in the current legal system unless Congress agrees & we all know that's not going to happen.

200w.gif

when it comes to the portal---

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Managing this is pretty difficult I would think for a coach and his assistants because as a coach do you jump right away and make offers or do you wait till you know everyone that wants to be in the portal has put their name in? So do you as a coach make offers to the players that best fit what you want and can afford with NIL money?

This would drive me nuts and must be so frustrating to deal with. I don't think you could pay Sha enough money to have to play this game of recruiting in this awful environment the NCAA created.

I guess it is the same play with HS kids.
Kinda disagree with you here. This is exactly what we pay Sha enough for. He's a favorite son, but he has banked about $5m for a couple NITs. Let's not act like he's making 10x minimum wage.

Remember back in the day these "low major kids" were BARELY taken into the P6 schools, transfers were so rare, youd get ONE and be excited , now these low major kids are being begged

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT